十: If You're Still Sane

Tutors And Teachers

Jae let out a long puff of air out as she stood up from her desk.

It was her first time back to work since she'd gotten sick about two weeks ago, and she still felt horrible.

Kids were still leaving the room as she gathered her things, wanting nothing more than to go home and collapse onto her bed.

"Rough day?"

She looked up at Yoongi, who had his bag slung over his shoulder.

"Extremely." She said as she looked around the classroom, looking at the paintings she hung up last week.

She wondered which one the students liked the most.

"I like the one in the middle." Yoongi said pointing to the black canvas with the chalk writing.

"The chalkboard room idea." She nodded and sighed, setting everything down.

She trudged over to the paintings, grabbing the little box from beneath them.

"Miss Oh, the owner of the school, wants me to finish getting this place painted, and I haven't even gotten started." She said as she poured the ballots out on her desk.

"Maybe you could ask the students to help?"

"They really need to focus on their studies more."

He chuckled, grabbing a chair from one of the desks, dragging it up to her desk.

"I'll help you tally them up, and then I'll help you paint." He said with a smile as she threw her weight down in her chair.

"With how I feel right now, I'm not in a position to decline that offer."

Yoongi smiled before picking up a handful of the ballots, sorting through them accordingly.

"I always pick winners." He said as he held up the stack that voted on a chalkboard room, it was significantly larger than the others.

"I guess that means I should pick up the supplies tonight, and start tomorrow then..." She started digging through her bag until she found that granola bar she shoved in their for breakfast.

"How about dinner first?" Yoongi asked as she barely managed to get the wrapper open, feeling lightheaded and dizzy.

"Yeah..."

"C'mon, my treat." He helped her to her feet, grabbing her waist to keep her up.

She hated this feeling, the one she was getting from the way he had grabbed her.

Sure, it was only for support. But it all felt weird, wrong in the right ways.

"You alright?"

She looked over at Yoongi, realizing how close they really were.

"Tired." She replied as she turned her head to look back in front of her.

"My cars just right here, so..."

It hadn't even dawned on her that she'd have to ride in the same car as him. Especially since Jimin was already home, and she usually took the bus.

What had she gotten herself into?

She laughed a little when she saw Yoongi's car, which was a small truck.

"It's durable. Besides, I'm Daegu born, I'm country folk." He joked when he saw her stifling her laughs.

"I'm sorry, I just thought you'd be the kind of guy with a Hyundai or something." She said while she still managed to contain her laughs.

"C'mon, Miss Park, you're no fun." He said with a mocking whine.

"You have no jams." She said before biting her lip.

"Did you just insult me Namjoon style?" He asked a little peeved.

"Perhaps." She slinked away from him a little, a smile still on her lips.

"Lets just get you fed." He said as he unlocked the truck, helping her in.

~~

Dinner was actually rather quiet, besides the occasional joke about the people who passed by.

Jae missed days like these, the ones where she could just relax with a friend, make a joke here or there and then return to a relaxing state of mind.

"Home Depot, or Lowe's?" Yoongi asked as they walked back to the truck.

"Lowe's." She replied casually as she helped herself into the truck.

Yoongi turned the key in the ignition, but the truck didn't start.

"You're kidding me..." He hopped out of the truck and quickly went to search under the hood, trying to figure out what was wrong.

Jae sighed as she got out, walking around until she got to the hood.

"Batteries dead." She said as she leaned against the side of the car.

"How do you know?" He asked, still searching for something he wouldn't find.

"This used to happen to my fp's all the time back in china, their truck was old, but it was always just the battery." She said with a yawn.

"FP's?" He asked with a head cocked to the side.

"They're um... They're foster parents. I had a bit of a weird childhood."

"I was adopted, not much of a difference." He said annoyed.

"Didn't like them?"

"They didn't like me. Thought what I wanted to do was a waste of time, a waste of my life."

She just nodded, knowing exactly what that felt like.

"I'll go see if anyone has any jumper cables." She said before leaving him alone, still looking through the hood.

~~

It was late by the time that Yoongi had dropped Jae off, roughly around 12:30Am, and they both had to be at the college tomorrow.

They said their goodbyes and then they went their separate ways.

As soon as Yoongi pulled into his driveway he frowned.

The light in the living room was still on, meaning Dabin hadn't gone to bed yet, she was either in little space running around like a maniac, or she was in her usual pissy mood doing her homework assignments.

"Why are you still up?" He asked as he shut the door behind, making his way into the living room.

"Dabin, I'm talking to you." He smiled when he walked into the living room.

Dabin was asleep on the couch, homework on the table with her stuffed orange monkey tucked securely between her arms.

Odds are, she was mid assignment and decided a nap would do her some good, and then decided that sleeping would fix everything.

Without a second thought he picked her up, carrying her to her room.

He set her down and pulled her blankets over her, making sure she would be okay for the night.

He shut the door before retreating to his room, wanting nothing more than to go to sleep.

But he had homework to do, and he also needed to pay the bills, not to mention he needed to put together a grocery list so he could refill the cabinets and the fridge so Dabin wouldn't starve if he didn't come home in time.

Because that girl could only microwave frozen food, nothing more, nothing less.

Also, taxes should've been taking care of by now, but he'd been postponing that for too long.

So that probably should've been done, but hadn't been.

He sighed as he sat down at his desk, knowing full well, that tonight he wouldn't be sleeping again tonight.

He couldn't remember the last time he got a good nights rest, but it stopped bothering him awhile back.

He didn't know why or when, but it just simply stopped.