A Thousand Times

One More Time

“Ugh! I know I can do this!” She picked herself back up after falling once again while practicing a difficult dance.

She had been in the practice room for hours at this point and was getting frustrated that she couldn't do this move as easily as the other trainees. She already felt like she was behind at this point, but she refused to give up. Day in and day out, even after all the trainees had gone home, she practiced. Even though she had an incredible voice, she felt as though her dancing was not at the same level as her peers. She didn't want to get left behind because of her lack of dance skills.

The music started again and she repeated her dance just as she had before. Except this time, the music stopped right before the difficult dance move she was dreading.

“Wait.” She heard a voice come from the audio area.

Her heart dropped. She thought she was the only one in here. She looked towards the direction of the voice and saw someone standing under the dim light.

“L-Lay?” Her heartbeat quickened. She had only spoken to him in passing a few times before, but never one on one like this.

He walked towards her. “I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you, Yoon Hee. Please, call me Yixing.”

“How do you know my name, Yixing?” She asked.

“We’ve spoken before. You told me your name. Did you think I would forget?” He continued, “Also I have seen you in the practice room almost every night lately. I'm sorry, I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but I have been watching you try to master this dance.”

“Ah, thats embarrassing.” She put her head in her hands. “One of the best dancers in the company is here telling me they've been watching me try and fail a thousand times at a dance everyone else can do but me.”

He stepped closer, “Exactly. Try a thousand times. You don't give up Yoon Hee. Most people would have at this point. Trust me, I've seen it over and over again. But you don't give up. I admire that.”

She lifted her head up. A tear began to fall down her cheek. “I'm just so frustrated.”

“Please dont cry.” He innocently looked at her, “I was you at one point. I felt one step behind everyone and it made me so frustrated. But I turned that frustration into resilience. No matter what I never gave up. I couldn't. I know you've got the heart in you, Yoon Hee.”

She wiped away her tear.

“Come on,” he took off his jacket, “Lets try again.”

“Wait you know this dance?” she was surprised.

“Of course. They had us practice this during my trainee days.” He stood in front of the mirror. She stood next to him.

“Now you actually dance most of this dance pretty well, it's just the bridge part of the dance that you're struggling with right?”

She nodded before slowly moving into the difficult move.

“Right there,” she froze, “That is what is throwing you off.” He stood behind her and lightly placed his hands on her shoulders. “May I?”

She nodded, despite her rapid heartbeat responding to his touch.

He slowly shifted her bodyweight to the correct position, then knelt down and adjusted her footing. “This is where your body weight should be, that way it'll make the next move flow a lot smoother. Watch.”

He mimicked her body movement with the correct position. “See? It flowed much easier. That way you're not losing your balance, which causes you to fall.”

She slowly followed his movements and smiled when she noticed her improvement in the dance move. “I see what you mean! That makes this so much easier.”

“Come on, let's practice some more.”

After over an hour of dancing, Yoon Hee and Yixing sat down at the back of the practice room to rest.

Yixing looked over at Yoon Hee, “I knew you could do it Yoon Hee.”

She looked over at him, “All thanks to you though. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you. Thank you so much, Yixing. I really can't tell you how much it means to me. Not many trainees get some one on one experience with their seniors.”

“Hey! I'm only 2 years older than you. No need to make me sound old.” he joked. “But seriously, give yourself some credit,” he continued, “You are actually a really good dancer and you will only get better with time. Pair that with your phenomenal voice and you are unstoppable.”

“Wait...when have you heard my voice?” Yoon Hee asked.

“Um…”

“I take it youve been watching me sing too!?” she joked.

Yixing looked down as he chuckled, “I'm sorry, I just couldn't help it. You have one of the best voices in the entire company, even better than those who’ve already debuted.”

Yoon Hee felt her heart beat a little faster.

“I really do hope I debut soon…” she said.

“I know the waiting can seem like an eternity, but I know that when your time comes, it’ll be the right time. I’m rooting for you.” He replied.

“Thanks Yixing.”

“Hey Yoon Hee, can I show you something?” He took out his phone.

“Of course, what is it?”

He plugged in a set of headphones he pulled from his pockets, “This is a song I've been working on. I produced this one myself. It still needs some small fixes here and there but I wanted to get a second opinion on it. No one has ever listened to it besides me.”

“So I would be the first?” she asked.

“Yes, I know you appreciate good music and you'll give me an honest opinion of what you think”

“Wow, I feel honored. Thank you, Yixing.” She put one earphone into her left ear as Yixing put the other in his right ear before pushing play on his phone.

Yoon Hee closed her eyes as she let the soft melody travel through her ears. The sound was pleasant and smooth, and the lyrics talked about capturing the beauty of a special girl.

“These lyrics are so beautiful, Yixing…” She hummed as the song ended.

“Wh-What? You can understand Chinese?” He was surprised.

She opened her eyes, “Of course. I studied in China for a few years. I picked up the language rather easily.”

“So you can understand these lyrics?” He asked nervously.

“Yes and the lyrics are beautiful. It seems as if you know the girl in this song so well. What are you going to title the song?”

“I'm not sure yet. Any ideas?”

“Mmm…” she thought, “How about Director?”

Yixing's face lit up, “I like it! I think that'll be the title, should I ever release it.”

“Would you mind playing the song again? I really enjoyed it.” She asked.

“Of course! I'm glad you like it.” He picked up his phone to replay the song.

Yoon Hee closed her eyes as she enjoyed the song again. A minute into the song she started dozing off and unintentionally leaned her head on Yixing's shoulder.

Surprised, Yixing looked down at Yoon Hee and smiled, “That exhausting trainee life…” he said to himself, “If only you knew that this song was about you.”

Yixing replayed the song a few times before gently waking up the sleeping girl.

“Yoon Hee, it's time to wake up. You have to go home.”

Sleepily, Yoon Hee lifted her head and realized she was on Yixings shoulder. “Oh my gosh, I’m Im so sorry Yixing! I didn't mean to fall asleep like that! I didn't realize I was so tired.”

“Please don't apologize Yoon Hee! I didn't mind at all. I know you have probably had a long day. Come on, I'll take you home.” Yixing stood up and helped her up.

When they got to her dorm building, she turned towards him, “Yixing, thank you for helping me tonight. You helped me find my confidence and I feel so grateful to you.”

He reached out and hugged her, “I know how hard days like this can be, but I'm behind you 100% and I know it will only be a matter of time before you debut. Never give up, Yoon Hee.” He hugged her a little tighter.

Yoon Hee wrapped her arms around him and hugged him back. She didn't see Yixing as the idol he was, but as a friend. She felt as if they understood each other on a different level. She had no idea that Yixing had noticed her. She had never felt like this before.

He unwrapped his arms and smiled before turning to walk away, “Goodnight Yoon Hee,” he subtly waved.