Epilogue: Love wins

Our Wives

A/N: If you haven't seen it yet, go back and read Chapter 11 before this!


 

The day started off pretty ordinary for Chungha. It was a Saturday so she got to sleep in just a little longer and if there was anything else she loved more than her wife and her best friend’s cooking, it was sleeping.

She and Kyungmi had been married for a year now. Okay, married overseas in the Republic of China since it technically wasn't legal in South Korea, yet. But, they lived together and planned on spending the rest of their lives together, so in their heart of hearts, they were married.

It wasn’t easy, at first. After her divorce with Woohyun, she had to figure out how to break to her parents that she was in love with a woman. But, after Woohyun and Sunggyu got together, her best friend was supportive and they both came out to their respective families at the same time. Doing it together had made the whole process easier, but not without its own challenges. 

Sadly, their families weren’t really accepting, at first. They continued trying to get them together again, which made both Kyungmi and Sunggyu feel rather shunned. Finally, when Kyungmi proposed last year, Chungha's family had no choice but to accept it or they would have lost Chungha forever. She had been loathed to do it, but she would have done it for Kyungmi.

On the other hand, Kyungmi's family wasn't thrilled with their daughter's new love either but had begrudgingly accepted it, anyway. Besides, Chungha had managed to charm them and Mrs. Park began loving the idea of having another daughter, especially because Chungha shared the same love for dramas that Kyungmi never did. Her wife sometimes joked that her mother probably wished that Chungha was her daughter instead of her.

Chungha couldn’t be happier with her life now. Everything felt like a dream and she never wanted to wake up from it.

When she finally felt like opening her eyes, the space beside her was already empty and cold.

Even on her day offs, Kyungmi loved to wake up early and go for a jog. She had been trying to get Chungha to start going with her, but Chungha loved her sleep too much.

After stretching and idling a few more minutes in bed, Chungha finally got up to start her day. On the bedside, the clock blinked 11:30am.

Breakfast was already laid out on the kitchen table. Kyungmi sat there, reading the morning paper and in the background, the T.V. played a variety show.

She looked up when Chungha entered. “Morning, yeobo,” she greeted.

Chungha flashed her a smile and pecked her cheek before padding over to the coffee maker so she could have her usual morning cup.

When she settled on the chair next to her wife, Kyungmi put her paper down.

“Something came for us today and I think you’ll be pleased,” she said before rummaging through the pile of mail next to her and handing Chungha an elaborate-looking champagne-colored envelope.

Taking a sip of her coffee, Chungha took it. Her and Kyungmi’s names and address were on the front.

It had already been opened so Chungha put her cup down so she could lift the flap and take out the contents.

Reading through the first few lines, her eyes widened and she couldn’t help but let out an excited scream.

“Oh my gosh! Is this for real?! Woohyun actually did it!” she squealed.

Beside her, Kyungmi just giggled. “I know, right? Didn’t he spend two months looking for a ring?”

Chungha was still vibrating from excitement. “Oh my gosh, he drove me crazy! Dragging me everywhere for hours and he couldn't make up his mind!” She smiled affectionately at the envelope. “I wonder when he did it? That idiot! He didn’t even tell me!”

“Well, it explains why we hadn’t seen them in a while.” Kyungmi smirked. “Don’t worry. I already sent Sunggyu a strongly-worded text, demanding the reason why we weren’t informed earlier.”

Chungha made a note to do the same to Woohyun later. “Did he respond?”

“Not yet but when he does, I’ll grill him for information.”

Sighing, Chungha scooted her chair closer to her wife’s so she could link their arms together and lay her head on her shoulder.

“I’m so happy for them,” she breathed.

Kyungmi pressed a kiss to her hair. “Me too.”

Chungha briefly bit her lip before asking in a soft voice, “Do you think they’ve forgiven us?”

She felt Kyungmi tense and it took the older woman a moment to answer.

“I don’t know,” she admitted. “But, you know what? I can’t help but feel grateful for how lucky we were that they had been our husbands. They’re so good to us, despite everything we did.”

“All I ever wanted was for Woohyun to be happy. He’s my best friend.”

He truly was and nothing could ever change that. Chungha and Woohyun had always had a special bond. Marriage may not have worked out for them but Woohyun was still that nice boy who approached her first on the playground and asked to be friends. Woohyun was still the boy she cried and ranted to when an older boy she liked cruelly rejected her. Woohyun was still the first to give her a taste of fluttering love and romance. She couldn’t imagine her life without him in it.

And seeing him now, happy and content with the person he was head-over-heels for, Chungha couldn’t ask for anything more.

“And he is happy, yeobo. They both are.” Kyungmi took her and gave it a comforting squeeze. “And, someday, we’ll be able to make it up to them, somehow. But, Chungha, yeobo.” She tilted her head down to look at the younger woman in the eye. “You have to start forgiving yourself, too.”

Chungha swallowed, as the feelings of guilt crept into her heart again.

Woohyun had told her many times that he had forgiven her, but there were still flickers of self-doubt, every single time she remembered what she and Kyungmi did. She knew Kyungmi felt guilty too but unlike her, the older woman wasn’t one to stew in the past. But, Chungha wasn’t like that. She wallowed and never forgot, despite Woohyun and Sunggyu’s reassurances.

Someday, she would start forgiving herself.

For now, she had Kyungmi to remind her why she made the choices she made. She couldn’t call them mistakes because Kyungmi wasn’t a mistake. She was the best thing that ever happened to her and that, alone, would keep her going.

And she knew that Kyungmi would always be beside her, bringing out the best in her.

“I will,” she promised the older woman with a smile. “Thank you, jagiya.”

Kyungmi pinched her cheek before gently breaking away and standing up.

“I’m going to take a shower. Oh, and I checked the showings for that movie you wanted to see. There’s one at 2pm. We can go, if you want.”

There was a reason why she fell in love with this woman.

Chungha clapped. “You’re the best!”

Kyungmi winked before heading off to the bathroom to take her shower.

Meanwhile, Chungha picked up her breakfast plate and coffee and bounded over to the living room so she could watch the variety show playing while she ate.

On the kitchen table, the wedding invitation of Kim Sunggyu and Nam Woohyun laid there, the RSVP card already filled in.

 


A/N: And, that's the final wrap! Thank you so much to all of you who were so supportive of this fic from start to finish! I know I hit a few roadblocks but you guys stayed until the end!

I know this was short, but I wanted it to be a brief peek into the life of Chungha and Kyungmi and their own thoughts on the affair, as well. I chose Chungha in the end because I felt like she had a lot more internal feelings that she had to work through when she made the choices she did. And, in a way, she still feels guilty though she tries to hide it but, of course, her loving wife Kyungmi knows her well and knows that Chungha needs to start forgiving herself if she truly wants to move on. But, like a good wife, she wouldn't force her and would just let her do it at her own pace while remaining her support.

As for Woohyun and Sunggyu, they've decided to get married! And, yes, Woohyun was the one who proposed. I imagine that it was an unplanned and spontaneous proposal that caught Sunggyu off-guard and a month later, they were sending out wedding invitations. 

In terms of same- marriage in Asia, only Taiwan (also known as the Republic of China) recognizes civil unions (not marriage) but they could become the first Asian country to legalize it in 2019!

So, I imagine WooGyu going there too for their marriage to be recognized.

Also, a quick announcement: I'm going to be taking another brief hiatus so I can focus on other things outside of Kpop. I've mentioned before that I became deeply involved in a T.V. show and one of the ships just brings me so much joy that I've started writing fanfiction for it, as well. So, I would like to take a few weeks or so writing for that fandom and sharing all the stories I have in my head with them.

I won't be gone from AFF, you can still message me, of course! You know I love talking to you, guys! Especially with Woohyun's comeback nearing, I know some of you want to fangirl so always feel free to do so with me!

As for any future WooGyu fics, I have no plans for now but if I come up with something, you know that you all will be the first to know!

And, with that, I want to thank you all, again, for being so supportive of me and my stories! It's been rough since December but you guys never fail to lift my spirits. I'm truly honored to be a part of his fandom. I always brag about you to my friends and telling them I have the best readers, ever! The ones who comment, the ones who don't comment, all of you! And I mean it when I say that I truly love you, guys!

So, don't be a stranger! I'll still be lurking around here!

Sigh. And with that, 'til the next one, chingus!