Chapter 5

Mist of the Realms
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She saw him again—that sleeping little boy whose face was dangerously pale and lifeless. She saw herself reaching out to him and she heard herself crying helplessly.

“What do we do?” She turned to the little fox who asked the question. Having no reply, she just looked up and stared at the once yellow moon which turned into a red blood color.

Things made her dizzy. The blood slowly turned into a reflection of what seemed to be teenage boys. They were laughing so loudly that it was inducing her a severe headache. It was a blurry until she was finally able to make out the image of a teenage boy in the middle, sitting there as he accepted the beatings. He was begging for them to stop.

He looked at her direction, eyes seeking for help. But she only stared back. The moon shook and disappeared as she watched how the boy died.

 

 

Nightmares were just some terrifying dreams and were just some horrifying versions of what was originally intended to be a dream or maybe, a more graphic version of what happened in the past. Nevertheless, these night terrors were enough to bother anyone who were to experience them. Yujin, especially, was bothered. After waking up in the middle of the night because of a bad dream, she did not manage to go back to sleep. Instead, she remained seated on her bed, succumbing to the comforts of her thick blanket. She was not crying, no, tears should be kept for something more…serious.

Trying to cheer herself up, she let her thoughts wander from Mingyu to the other boys then to Mina and finally, to Jun. Jun was not a man of few words—that was what Yujin found out when she first met him through the breakfast last Saturday. That was why she was not surprised when he tried to hit up a conversation with her—which thankfully included only what she did in school and how she ended up in that alleyway instead of asking what she was; she was pretty sure that the topic about her identity would come up if she were talking to Woozi instead.

However, from that conversation, she got nothing from Jun. The male did not explain who Mina was or why was everyone so interested in who Yujin was. But then, Yujin did not bother asking. Again, she did not want to be further involved with their business. If it was something that she had to know, the boys would tell her anyway. That did not mean that she was not curious though. Curiosity kills the cat—thankfully, she was not a cat and she was not trying to become one.

Heaving a sigh, her thoughts wandered back to her nightmare. Although she would often have weird dreams, nightmares were rare for her. Yet when those night terrors attacked her, they would always contain death of two people—a little boy and that teenage boy. Usually, when death would visit another person in your dreams and you were just watching without being able to do anything, it meant one thing and that was you had a guilty conscience—something that Yujin wished she did not have.

 

 

“You look awful.” That was what Seokmin told Yujin when they happened to see each other at the locker area before the class started. It was exactly what her mother told her yet Yujin chose to ignore the comment and headed to school. “You look like you barely slept and that a bad dream visited you.”

Yujin finally turned all her attention to Seokmin, closing her locker then raising an eyebrow at her classmate. She wondered if he were secretly a psychic—which was not impossible; nothing seemed to be impossible anymore. “How can you tell?”

“I can’t.” Seokmin grinned. “I just assumed. Now, you admitted it.” He added. Yujin seriously hated the fact that the demons were some smartass but she let it slide. “Mind to tell me what you’ve dreamed of?”

“I actually do mind so don’t ask.” Yujin told the demon, turning away from the latter to head to their classroom first. She was not in the mood to deal with demons. If this conversation happened before, the female would simply shrug and dismiss the guy with a forced smile, afraid that she would be involved in anyone else’s business. This time, however, was different. She was already involved.

Seokmin simply laughed it off. “Your choice.” He invited himself to walk with Yujin. “I heard from Jun that you met a fox yesterday which is pretty rare because foxes are careful creatures. They wouldn’t dare to corner a human being. Let alone one they would happen to encounter again.” He talked as if they were the only ones around. “Then again, if she did see what happened last Friday, curiosity must be forcing her to do things. Foxes are curious by nature and they do everything—I repeat, everything—to satisfy their curious minds. So, technically, curiosity does not kill the cat but kills the foxes instead.”

Yujin did not speak for a second or two, wondering if Seokmin was so confident about his ability to hide the truth or if he really was just too dense to realize that he might be putting himself in trouble. The female was not going to warn him, no, he should suffer the consequences of his talkative nature. “Where are your friends?” Despite wanting to learn more about foxes and whatnot, Yujin chose to ask about the topic she was least curious about.

“Mingyu is talking to his father over the phone outside the school premises while Minghao is running some errands.” Seokmin simply explained, entering their classroom with her.

Yujin nodded her head, not really interested in the topic that Mingyu was discussing with his father—although she had a feeling that it had something to do with her—and definitely not interested in whatever errands Minghao was dealing with. Come to think of it, it was probably the first time that the three boys arrived at the classroom separately. It was strange for Seokmin to enter the classroom with Yujin—a fact that their classmates probably noticed because they were staring at the pair with their mouths agape.

Ignoring the stares, Seokmin sat on his seat. Yujin did so as well. The female did not owe anyone an explanation so she did not bother to talk. Lucky for her, not many classmates were around that time, none of them actually bothered to interrogate her.

 

 

It was true that once you got to know someone’s existence, you would see them everywhere. Yujin was finally aware of Mina’s existence so the former finally recognized the latter no matter where and when. The fox-girl was only two classrooms away from Yujin’s classroom but they were in the same grade. There must have been plenty of times when they met each other although neither of them was fully aware. Yujin was not the bravest person alive that was why she hesitated meeting Mina’s eyes yet it seemed like the latter did not have the courage to meet Yujin’s eyes either.

Mina looked like she was ready to attack Yujin when the two of them happened to bump into each other at the cafeteria. To Yujin’s surprise, however, Mina did not bother to do anything—no surprise attacks, no smirks, not even a glare. Instead, the fox simply looked at around before cowering in fear. She did send Yujin a slightly disgusted look though before walking away.

From her peripheral vision, Yujin found the reason why Mina did that. Yujin did not have to think twice because she clearly saw the three demons sitting just a few tables away from her. The boys did not even bother hiding the fact that they were watching her. She raised an eyebrow yet heed no more attention to the boys. Giving the boys one last glance, she walked away—she was not even hungry anymore.

She exited the cafeteria and headed to their empty classroom. Sitting on her seat, she once again thought about what happened in the past few days. Everything was still surreal to her. Turning her eyes towards the window, she could not help but to furrow her eyebrows in confusion. She thought she saw the moon or was that her active imagination?

Before she could question herself further, the door opened. By instinct, she turned to the door only to see Mina. It made Yujin frown. She thought that the fox already let her off the hook, turns out she was looking for a better opportunity.

“I’m here to talk. Don’t call the demons.” Mina hastily said, probably noticing Yujin’s uneasy facial expression. Yujin wondered why the fox thought that she would try to call the demons. Not only was it a waste of time and effort, she saw no reason for her to ask them for help. Mina did not see it that way though. “What makes you so special

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter