Wishes

Wishes

You had always been quite serious growing up. When your friends did reckless things, you would always be there, telling them it was dangerous and bandaging them up afterwards when they got hurt. But you never said ‘I told you so’. You would simply shake your head as you bandaged them up, being extra careful to make sure they were alright.

 

You had always been considered one of the smartest people in your class at school. You enjoyed studying and you enjoyed getting good grades. This sometimes led to some people thinking you were weird, but it had never really bothered you that much.

 

This continued on right through until you started university where your preference for studying over partying and your often straight to the point attitude was sometimes misunderstood by some people, earning you a bit of a reputation. However, the people who spent time around you knew that you were actually very shy and warm hearted, but for people who didn’t know you well, they seemed to judge you before they really got to know you.

 

Although you would never have admitted it out loud, you sometimes wished you were more outgoing and confident like some of the people in your classes. Some of them just seemed so carefree that it made a thin thread of jealously tie itself around your heart when you saw them. There was one person in particular that made your heart tug just that tiny bit harder than the others.

Lin Yanjun.

Your heart always skipped a beat when you saw him. And no matter how many times you tried to play it off as just you being jealous of his seemingly endless confidence, deep down you knew there was another reason for your irregular heartbeat when you saw him.

 

You had one class with Yanjun. And it was the only class where you didn’t sit in the front row. If anyone asked, you would have simply said that this particular lecturer bored you a little so you would often secretly read during his lectures, but in truth, it was so you could sneak glances at Yanjun. While it seemed like he never paid attention in class, often goofing off with his best friend Zhangjing, he always rivalled you for the top spot in class.

 

You couldn’t believe your luck when your lecturer announced that you would be pairing up for a project and your names were being drawn from a hat. Yanjun had sauntered to the front of the class and pulled out a piece of paper and then looked you dead in the eye. Your chest tightened as you forgot how to breathe as a smile broke out on his face. He called your name, waving the piece of paper at you as he took his seat again, turning to face you. “Looks like were partners.” He said as he stuck his hand out towards you.

 

You nodded stiffly as you slid your hand into his. He shook your hand, his gaze never leaving yours. “Can I have your number?” he asked, so casually that you could only blink at him for a second. “So that we can arrange a time to meet up to study?” he added. “Yeah, of course.” You said, proud of yourself for not stuttering as you gave him your number. He saved your number and called you, a satisfied look on his face when his number flashed on your screen. “Make sure to save it. I would personally save it as ‘Handsome Yanjun’, but it’s up to you.” He joked with a wink. You laughed at his words and typed in his name as he requested, showing him your newly saved contact.

 

He laughed, “I think we’re gonna get on just fine.” He said before he turned back to the front, Zhangjing coming back to his space beside him, the two of them immediately becoming engrossed in a conversation. You looked down at your phone, well aware that there were a few people in the class staring at you. Lin Yanjun was one of the most popular guys on campus. There were girls and guys from every major who wanted his number, and he had just given it to you. You who was the complete opposite of Yanjun in every way. You suppressed the smile that threatened to split your face in two as you put your phone in your bag, already excited for your first study session with Yanjun.

 

 

Yanjun had called you the night he had given you his number to set up your first study date. Your friend YueYue had not stopped bothering you since you had told him about being paired up with Yanjun for your project. While he was usually quite calm, he had not been able to contain his excitement at the two of you being paired up together. He was the only person who knew about your feelings for Yanjun. Even if you had never actually admitted them to him.

 

You found a good spot in the library and laid out the things you needed when a familiar face sat down opposite you. You gave him a nervous smile while his smile seemed confident and effortless. “Hey, how are you?” he asked as he unpacked his things. “I’m good.” You said as you handed him your notebook. “I started thinking about some topics for our project. But if you don’t like any of them, we can think of something else.” Yanjun took the notebook from you and looked through your ideas. “These are great, a few of them a similar to what I had been thinking about as well.” He said as he slid his own notebook over to you as well. You flicked through the pages, surprised by the detail of his notes. You had never expected him to be so detailed. You found the page he had marked and looked through his ideas, surprised to find that a lot of them were similar to your own.

 

The two of you quickly got to work. Going through each of your ideas one by one looking for the pros and cons of each and how well you could tie each idea to your project outline. You were in the library for hours, time seeming to melt away as the two of you buried yourselves in your own private bubble, your conversations slowly becoming easier as you became more comfortable around Yanjun. You realised that although he was often loud and seemed to not be very focused on his studies, he was actually incredibly intelligent and he knew what he was talking about, which put you at ease.

 

It was hours later when you stretched, your back stiff from sitting hunched over for so long. “Wow, look how late it is!” Yanjun said as he showed you the time on his phone. “Oh my god, we’ve been here for hours.” you said as you stifled a yawn. Yanjun stretched before rubbing his eyes, an eyelash coming away on his fingers. You watched in horror as he simply wiped it off his hand. “What are you doing?” you yelled, startling him. “What? What did I do?” he asked, looking around him in a panic. “You just wiped away that eyelash! Don’t you know that you're supposed to make a wish on them?” you asked.

 

Yanjun looked at you blankly for a few seconds before he burst out laughing. “Oh my god, I didn’t know you were this cute.” He chuckled. He leant forward making your heartbeat accelerate. “Let me ask you a question. I know its late and all, but we’ve been in here for hours without a break and there's a great little place just outside campus that does some great late night snacks. Can I take you there?” he asked suddenly.

 

You didn’t hesitate to answer. “Yes.” You nodded. He gave you a bright smile as he started packing away his things. “Then it looks like I didn’t need that eyelash. My wish came true anyway.”