CC01

Cardinal County
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lisa, Liz, Wangbi (Princess) • Korean, Chinese, Thai • Born in Washington DC • 18 years old • Senior High School • Saint Catherine's Institute For Girls • Swimming, Horseback Riding • Heiress, Straight A Student, Golden

• • •

LISA

The third Friday of the month meant two things for Lisa. Aside from being excused from all her tasks both in the school publication and her part time job, it was also the day she has to go to her family's home and have dinner with her parents and if she's fortunate enough, with her brother too. 

It was almost two months since she last saw her Jackson-oppa and she misses him a lot. If she could only transfer to his school, maybe it would be easier for her. Less expectations, more freedom. But she has to attend this private all-girl Catholic institute for her parents' peace of mind. She was too precious- they say, too innocent and is now the only hope of their family's legacy. 

Her parents have already given up in convincing her brother to be the sole heir of their multi-billion company. He's too invested in his sport and Lisa could see how happy her Oppa is in reaching his true dreams. If it meant sacrificing her independence and aspirations in life, then so be it. 

Besides, it's not like she's not used to this. Ever since their father told her about her and her brother transferring here in Byeoljari three years ago to study, she's been attending this school. Even the way she was brought up, she had to act as a proper lady and strictly follow her mother's rules. This is her life and she knew changes would only bring complications that she definitely won't be able to handle. She will just go with the flow just like what she has been doing for the entire eighteen years of her life.

"I'm so sorry Liz, you should've started eating without me," she looked up from the manuscript she's reading and smiled at her bestfriend Rosé.

"It's okay Ro. Besides, I'm trying to finish this before dismissal," she brought the said papers up for her friend to see before putting it back inside her backpack.

Rosé looked at her skeptically while taking a seat across her, "I don't get why you have to read all the novels before making book covers for them. Aren't the author's ideas enough?" 

Lisa silently chuckled. This debate has been going on for nearly a year now since she applied as a part-time graphic artist in this local Printing Press near the county proper. Rosé would always tell her how reading those manuscripts only take the time she could spend sleeping and taking a break from school works.

"You already know why Ro, but for the sake of answering- let's say in my line of work, the saying 'Don't judge a book by its cover' doesn't apply. Readers definitely judge a book by its cover, I mean it's the first thing they see." She shrugged, pulling the lunch tray - that has been waiting on the side of their table - in front of her.

"So... have your brother called you yet?" Rosé opened a new topic once they started to eat.

Lisa instantly felt sad, "nope." She replied trying her best not to show how worried she felt. "Well, what do we expect? Oppa is too stubborn and the guy's ego is the size of Namsan Tower - I'm just gonna wait 'til he lowers his pride."

"Aigoo... I still can't believe an angel like you has a brother like him. You must have heard this countless of times by now but, a Cardinal and you? Three years passed and I still can't fathom how that is possible."

Lisa just smiled. She's right, she has heard this countless of times. Well, from the people who knew that is - her relationship with the infamous Wang Jackson is not known by many. Though their parents are prominent business personalities back in Seoul, hers and her brother's identities were not that openly talked-about by the media for privacy and safety reasons.

"Likewise Ro. All my life, I have never imagined my brother would be like this. Yes he's carefree and would always disobey our parents for fun. But who would have thought his rebellious side could lead him to be like what he is now?"

"They're just a bunch of immature guys playing around and acting like they know everything about life. Don't give up on him Liz," Rosé reached for her hand and squeezed it making her nod thankfully in response.

Cardinals. That one word could give any person who knew about them, different emotions. For Lisa, it was curiosity and wariness. Her brother was one of them but she refused to know more about what this particular group of people do to be this notorious. 

All she knew is that there

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter