I'm always tired but never of you

baby just do it

Title is from i hate u, i love u - gnash ft. olivia o'brien


 

Thinking about managers, Myoui Mina doesn’t come close to what a typical manager should be like. She may have the right mindset and the drive to get the best for her client but what she doesn’t have is the coldness and the ruthlessness that people say is needed in the hard world of show business. Even without these abilities she has helped her client climb from doing shabby documentaries and short films to huge screens where she is the one people are coming to watch and Mina couldn’t be prouder. She has been the one to help Momo achieve all this and to walk this road with her. A manager should be a client’s best friend and that’s certainly what they were. That’s what Mina hates the most.

 

A manager should at all times keep the relationship with a client at strictly professional but what if it isn’t the client that tries to get something more out of the relationship. What if Mina is the one who’s sick of watching Momo star in romance movies with men that she wouldn’t even allow to touch her in a normal setting. Mina wants to be the one to hold her close, bring her chocolate when she’s feeling down and be the one who gets to kiss her after a long day. But she can’t. Because she’s only a manager.




After a day full of meetings and running from place to place Mina gets a phone call just when she’s starting her much needed break. The day has been a total circus and Mina would like nothing better than to just enjoy this moment in peace. She hasn’t been sleeping well and it doesn’t make the situation any better. Annoyance climbs up in her when she has to pick up the offending machine that won’t stop ringing.  “And what do you want?” she says to the phone only to regret it immediately after.

 

“Aww thanks so much for the warm welcome. I guess you missed me?” Momo asks with a voice laced with sarcasm. In that moment Mina knew she messed up.

 

Mina feels her face heat up with embarrassment, note to self: always check who’s calling first, she thinks. She knows now that Momo won’t let her off the hook and will about slightly losing her temper. Not that Mina even minds it that much to be teased by Momo. Heck, she would even make herself look a total idiot in Momo’s eyes if it would guarantee Mina Momo’s full attention. When these kinds of thoughts come out of her brain she understands just how far she’s gone in this little tiny crush.

 

Clearing Mina tries to find some activity left in her brain. It feels like every single brain cell has vanished after just hearing Momo’s voice. But Mina won’t back down without a fight, she needs to challenge Momo.

 

“Oh you just wish I missed you. Don’t worry, the attitude wasn’t saved for you. You should know that people are begging me to get you in their production. You’re quite a hot thing in the business and I’m answering phone calls day and night about you.”

 

“Okay, the only thing I catched from that was you saying I’m hot and I can definitely work with that.”

 

Mina could imagine Momo at the other end of the line, smirking to herself when she just knows how flustered she makes Mina. She’s dealt with a lot of different people in her career and she has mastered the act of keeping her cool and maintaining her poker face but it all changes when it comes to Momo. She could make Mina blush and laugh and even giggle with only a few words.

 

Mina clears and changes the subject so she doesn’t have to deal with the aftermath of her words. Of course she thought Momo was hot but could she say it to her? Heck no.

“So, you called. Is everything okay?”

 

“Yeah. I guess,” and a sigh comes after. Mina tenses and she starts to worry if everything truly is okay. Momo has worked with Mina so long that she knows how she tends to overthink things before knowing the whole truth so she continues before Mina’s brain could form a thought about what’s wrong with Momo.

 

“I just noticed that I don’t have any food at home and that thought trailed into another and I was just wondering that if you don’t have anything to do tonight, you could come to my place. And I mean only if you don’t have anything. You just told how busy you are so I understand if you can’t come.”


“Of course I can come. I’m never too busy if my client needs my company.”

 

“Great! But there’s one more thing”

 

Momo leaves the statement hanging. She says it in a way that makes Mina think that she might not like how it will continue. She still needs to ask.

 

“And what is this thing?”

 

There’s a small, a little nervous laugh coming from the other side of the line that makes Mina’s heart clench.

 

“Well, like I said. I don’t have anything to eat.”

 

And then it dawns on Mina. Momo wants her to bring her food. This brought a smile to Mina’s face. It feels the best to be useful. It made her day that Momo even wanted to spend time with her and that it’s not just her who’s being clingy.

 

Mina told Momo that she would later swing by her apartment and bring something with her. Momo thanked her enthusiastically and Mina just knew how she was smiling with her whole face.

 

Now Mina could start her break with happiness bubbling inside of her.




On the other side of the city Momo closes her phone and clutches it against her chest. She can’t help it. Even talking with Mina makes her heart race. Momo has known Mina for several years but it has never been anything like this.

 

Since the first time they met, they’ve been hitting it off great. Mina knew exactly what Momo wanted to do with her career and Momo has Mina to thank for every single thing that helped her to where she is now. They always have a great time together and it has been like that since the start and Momo could even call Mina one of her best friends. But now she’s not so sure if it’s the same anymore.

 

Of course she still loves to spend time with her and their friendship hasn’t gone anywhere. Momo just doesn’t know what’s going on. She has friends that also have managers but when she compares her relationship with Mina to her theirs with their managers they are nothing alike. Momo could tell Mina everything and she can count on her to be there when she needs a shoulder to cry on or some company to go to a concert of her favorite artist’s. Sure her friends can also rely on their managers but would they come in the middle of the night to help them sleep better after a nightmare? No.

Would Mina?

In a heartbeat.

 

Momo can’t name it, she can’t identify the things that are running through her brain when she thinks about Mina. She rarely even has the time to dwell on that. She usually wakes up early and gets ready to head to a filming site and stays there for the day, usually way into the night too. Then she comes home and showers and then it’s already time to head to bed.

 

Usually she fits some television to her schedule. Like today she knows that when Mina comes to visit, they will take the food that she brings and take their seats in Momo’s couch and watch how the drama unfolds on the screen during Bachelor. They share a similar taste in tv shows and they usually watch everything together, because it’s way more fun to gossip about them together.

 

Just as she pulls a fresh shirt over her head she hears a knock on her door. She skips happily to the door and opens it to a familiar and a welcomed sight. There’s Mina with take-away boxes and she can see that they are from a chinese food restaurant that they order from quite often. The smell is heavenly and Momo tells Mina that. They step inside the apartment and just like Momo predicted, they are getting comfortable on the sofa and Momo’s reaching for the remote to turn on the tv.

 

This was exactly what both of them needed. They both had a rough day and needed some healing. Some food, a couch and each other. That’s all that they needed.

 

Don't be afraid to leave a comment! I'll answer them and you can contact me on twitter too @babybirdlaura