Coincidences Only Come in Threes

The Numerics of Fantasy

8GkErue.jpg

----Encounter Two
✐CHAPTER Two: Coincendences Only Come in Threes:
 
 
 
 
 
 

The next day, you were in a daze as you worked, your mind unable to reconcile the events of the night before. Everything was just so…strange. How could it possibly be real? That must be it, you convinced yourself with a laugh that sounded nervous. It was simply a vivid dream. After all, a handsome man such as the one with silver hair could not survive in a society like yours. You could not imagine him simply walking out in daylight without every model or talent agency scout flocking to him.

Still, even as you convinced yourself that you were delirious, you did not forget to spritz the strongest perfume on your person that morning, paying close attention to your pulse points that could somehow still recall the tingling sensation his warm fingers left in its wake the night before.

Your eyes drifted to the clock on your desk and saw that it was time for you to knock off. Finally! The day and the hours encompassing it seemed to drag on and there was an ache of anticipation in your bones – for what exactly, you were unsure.

It was as you walked the highly populated streets that the answer came to you. You wished to find that place again. Paths that have crossed once, always diverge again, the little voice in your mind reminded and it served to quicken your steps. You crossed alleyway after alleyway, finding nothing to distinguish one from the other – let alone that beautiful, dark melody you believed you heard. You went deeper and stood in front of one entryway, your eyes inspecting everything about it and felt almost angry that you did not feel the same magnetic pull you felt before. Be that as it may, there was something vaguely familiar about the place and you walked forward.

Your heart leaped at seeing the same steel door but as soon as relief flooded you, confusion was not too far behind. The door was bolted with heavy chains as though it were never opened in the first place. That could not be. Surely not. You tugged on the chains as though they were a simple prop to deter you but found that was not the case.

Disheartened, you turned away and walked with heavy footsteps. Though you convinced yourself that it was only a dream, you could not fathom your disappointment at the fact that perhaps it was not real after all. Then again, why would you want such strange men in even stranger circumstances to exist? You shook your head at your foolishness as you made your way back into the main street, oblivious to the excited shouts of street merchants and people happily chatting to one another.

“Excuse me!” you heard someone shout and there was something about the tone of the voice that made you stop dead in your tracks.

You looked up to find yourself in the high street, each shop expertly crafted with their pricy products attractively on display. How did you get here? You looked about you to locate a man in a perfumery. Not just any man – the man with silver hair. Once again, as if by magic, your feet carried into the elegantly styled shop as if you were floating on air.

Try as you might, you could not help your heart from skipping a beat. “It’s you.” you could not stop yourself from exclaiming as soon as you crossed the threshold, the doorbell dinging as though you had correctly answered a question on a game show.

“Were you convinced we’d never meet again?” he asked from behind the glass counter, his eyes sparkling with hidden mischief.

“The door…” you attempted to explain but found your words fail you.

He offered you a seat in front of his counter as if to make up for your disappointment.

“It’d be boring if we holed ourselves up in the lab all day. Being a scientist means being adventurous, curious.” he gave a smirk. “Even we long to come into the world Alice.” he teased, his eyes never once leaving you.

“(F/n). My name is (F/n).” you answered breathlessly and you feared that all it would take for him to know everything about you were his eyes alone.

“A rose by any other name…” he trailed off with an air of accomplishment. “Seeing as you shared the most important thing a person can. I’m Jung Taekwoon.” the silver haired man held out a hand for you to take. And you did, delighting in the warmth, smoothness and largeness of his hand.

You rolled his name off of your tongue unknowingly causing the man across from you to close his eyes as if to savour a distinctly perfect piece of music being played as you spoke.

Taekwoon held up a finger, indicating he would only be gone a moment. As you waited, your mind reeled and heard vague talking at the back of the shop. Were the men you saw the night before at the back?

Your assumptions were cut short when Taekwoon returned, a smile that could almost be considered devious lingering on his cherry red lips.

“This is for you.” he answered your questioning look by reaching into his leather apron to retrieve a delicate glass perfume bottle. You felt a vague sense of apprehension at the fact that the shape of the bottle was so pleasing to you that you wondered if he crafted it especially for you.

You gulped as he came around to you, once again reaching into his apron pocket to remove a square piece of gauze and a bottle filled with cleaning spirits.

He chuckled at your confusion, a look he seemed to delight in whenever it crossed your beautiful features.

“You cannot wear a new perfume when that inferior drivel is littered on your skin can you?” he asked and the sardonic nature with which he referred to your perfume left you wondering. The perfume in question was expensive and to you it was pleasing yet your perfumer thought otherwise. It reminded you that he could not only smell your scent, but he seemed to be enchanted by it.

You shook your head, unable to speak as you watched him soak the gauze in alcohol and with gentle, cautious movements, he moved your hair to dab behind each of your ears, watching with peculiar glee as you shivered from the contact before moving to your neck, watching in fascination as your pulse quickened. He took each of your now trembling hands in his, showcasing the delicate skin of your wrist and wiped there, his thumb lingering to run over the skin once, twice, a third time.

Taking the glass bottle that sat on the glass counter, he spritzed the perfume to each of your pulse points with the same precision and meticulousness as a medical professional administering medicine. Your eyes flittered closed at the pampering actions of the perfumer and scientist. Was this professional? Should you have allowed such actions? Were thoughts that ran through your mind but found yourself too entranced to question any further.

“Tell me, how does it smell?” he leaned in to whisper in your ear, causing a fresh set of goosebumps to break out across your skin.

You inhaled and you were amazed. No perfume ever made you feel this way. The distinct smell of cherry blossoms made you feel as though you were transported and in your mind’s eye you could picture yourself vividly sitting in under a cherry blossom tree with your friends. You could hear your laughter, smell the sweet air and taste the seasonal desserts you were wont to eat that time of year.

“It’s spring.” your voice quiet with amazement, opening your eyes to make contact with his brown ones that seemed even closer than you remembered.

He smiled, showcasing his perfect, bright teeth.

“I stayed up the entire morning making this for you.” he explained with the air of an excited child. Upon closer inspection, you noted the dark circles tainting his flawless skin. It was even stranger to observe he did not seem to regret a minute of his time that he did not spend sleeping.

“W-why?” you uttered, balking at the idea that a man who was no more than a stranger would do something like this for you.

Taekwoon placed his hands on the sides of your chair, leaning in even closer and the very air you breathed was infused with him.

“Artists, musicians, writers, poets…they all have muses.” he began and brought a finger to brush away a lock of your hair obstructing the sight of your neck. “Are scientists not creators as well?” he murmured. “You…are my muse. You inspire me to create.”

“Me?” your voice nothing more than a whisper, your heart beat loud in your ears.

“Why not you?” he countered, moving away from you and watched in curiosity as your body immediately responded by leaning forward. “The smell of your skin, your laugh, your emotions as clear as day on your face. How could you not be when you stepped into my lab with the curiosity of Alice and stepped out with the willingness to return?” he questioned, breaking the spell by moving back behind the glass counter.

You stayed silent as you thought of how he made it sound as though you were captured by him. And indeed, would he be wrong to imply that? Even in broad daylight, in the modern and stylish perfumery, you lost all sense of time and space when he was near; his brown eyes and melodic voice all but surrounding you.

In the same space of thought, you realized that you promised to meet a friend for supper and looking outside the polished glass windows of the shop, you could already see the sun setting. Yet with that mind, you could not bring yourself to leave.

“If you have somewhere to be, don’t let me stop you.” the scientist commented and you were certain you heard a smile in his voice. “Now that you know where to find me, you may return as often as you want.” he added.

You looked at him, your head titled to the side to take in every word that came from his lips, only to find yourself agreeing. Placing the delicate glass gift in your handbag, Taekwoon led you to the door, seeing you off as if on a journey.


Walking out into the streets once more, your body felt lighter and there was a pep in your step that had not been there before. So absorbed in your cheerful mood, you did not notice that you bumped into someone.

“I’m sorry! I didn’t see where I was going.” you immediately apologized, bowing appropriately.

A male voice chuckled and you looked up to find a strikingly handsome man. Was he a foreigner? You found yourself asking as you stared at his short black hair, dark brown eyes, aquiline nose and full lips.

“A beautiful woman like you should never apologize. It was my fault entirely.” he apologized in fluent Korean, with a glint of amusement in his eyes. You wondered what a man like him was doing walking the high streets. His suit seemed expensive and he carried an authority that you found yourself unable to question.

“You’re too kind.” you blushed, unable to look at his handsome appearance for too long.

 “Your perfume is exquisite. What is it?” he asked charmingly and you sensed a dark undertone in his question that made you shiver.

“Cherry blossoms.” you answered in a programmed fashion.

He smiled as though you told him an inside joke.

“How fitting.” he replied and you were unsure what he meant. “Their beauty is fleeting but when they bloom, they are unsurpassed in splendour and magnificence.”

“I’ve never thought of it that way.” you answered, unsure if you were uncomfortable with the comparison he made. There was a hidden meaning in his words that seemed just out of your reach.

“Don’t mind my ramblings.” he laughed and placed his hands on your arms. “Remember, beautiful lady, to keep your eyes and ears open at all times.” he cautioned.

“Thank you.” You replied and a few seconds after you found yourself on your own again.

What a strange encounter, you thought later.


Two Weeks Later:

You walked out of the perfumery, like you did almost every day since you discovered where the scientists resided in the day time. Though Taekwoon seemed only too happy to see you enter the shop every afternoon after work, you did not want to take advantage by seeing him in the evening as well. Not that he did not attempt to convince you otherwise what with his voice persuasively speaking into your ear.

It was an average day for you, and you were eager to get home, if only to sleep. Walking along the cobblestone of the street, your heel caught on the gap between them and you stumbled. If not for your balance, you would have ended up on the floor and at worse, with a twisted ankle.

You saw a bench not too far from you and you hobbled, feeling the heel of your shoe unstable and plopped yourself down gracelessly. Slipping the shoe off of your foot, you saw the heel broke where it connected to the shoe. You were heartbroken, it was one of your favourite pairs too.

Sitting on the bench, you realized how out of options you were. You did not wish to walk home barefoot, the idea that there was something less than pleasant on the ground below you left your skin crawling, there was no shoe repairman nearby much less a shop where you could quickly purchase a replacement pair. It was hopeless.

“Beautiful lady!” you heard the familiar name and looked up to see the handsome man from two weeks before exit a sleek black car that must have been imported.

“Hello.” you answered in confusion when he was close enough.

He laughed as if sensing your question. “I was driving by and my eye caught you as I drove by.” he took in your appearance. “Is there a problem?” he asked helpfully, staring at the heeled shoe on your lap.

You sighed. “I nearly tripped over a cobblestone and my heel broke.” you explained, holding up your shoe.

“Such a heart breaking thing to happen to any woman.” he replied and his demeanour put you at ease – a stark contrast with the first time you met. “My sister left a pair of shoes in my car. I think you two are the same size.” he offered.

“Oh I couldn’t-” you refused, waving in front of him but he already left and you watched him retrieve said pair of shoes from the boot of his car and strode his way over to you.

“Now, Cinderella, allow your prince to replace your shoes.” He said with a disarming smile as he got to his knees in front of you.

You looked away with your cheeks burning and felt as he took each of your ankles and slipped the heeled pair of shoes on and you were surprised at how comfortable and stylish they were.

“Thank you very much.” you got up immediately to bow and felt a hand on your shoulder.

“Anything to help a beautiful lady.” he winked and your face flushed. “Are you on your way home?” he asked.

You nodded in the affirmative.

“Let me drive you home.” He offered, already taking your handbag and discarded shoes.

“I’m just around the corner and I’m sure you have things to do.” You replied and reached for your things which he only playfully kept out of your reach.

“One of them are driving you home. Would you refuse me the company of a pretty woman such as yourself?” he asked flirtatiously.

Swallowing heavily, unable to think of a retort, you allowed him to guide you with a hand on the small of your back to his car.


A Few Days Later:

“See you tomorrow!” you waved to your co-worker outside of your work building.

An immediate yawn made its way out of your mouth as you walked home, the street lights acting as a guide to your sleep addled brain. You shivered suddenly, wondering where the sensation came from.

You wrapped the coat further around yourself as you felt eyes on you. You shrugged off the feeling, you were simply being silly. You find a strange underground lab one night, and a rich handsome guy the next and now everything was shrouded in mystery, you laughed to yourself. You were just tired.

“We have to stop meeting like this Beautiful Lady.” a voice whispered darkly into your ear and you jumped to turn and see the handsome man, once again dressed in an impeccable suit.

“You gave me a fright!” you exclaimed, a hand over your heart.

“Didn’t I warn you to keep your eyes and ears open?” he replied and under the dim street lamp, there was something threatening about him that made you take a step back.

“I…just got off work…” you trailed off quietly, your eyes directed at the floor.

“In that case, you must be hungry.” as if switching on a light switch, the handsome man’s behaviour was charming and friendly once more. He tucked your hair behind your ear in a seeming parody of Taekwoon’s light and addictive touches the evening before.

“I don’t know your name.” you shot out unexpectedly and your eyes widened.

He laughed warmly.

“It feels as though I’ve known you much longer, my mistake.” he bowed playfully. “Lee Jaehwan at your service…” he trailed off indicating that he wished to know your name.

“(F/n).” you answered simply and the déjà vu you felt at the situation made you feel vaguely ill, as though you should not have answered him.

“Like music to my ears.” he complimented and held out his arm for you to take. “Now where would Cinderella like me to take her?” he enquired, leading you in no particular direction.

“Anywhere is fine.” you responded with a peaceable smile; your heart racing uncomfortably fast.

Was it too late to back out and run into the refuge that was the illuminated and pristine lab that housed a certain silver haired scientist?

AUTHOR'S NOTE:How lucky are you?! Two updates in two days! I have to say, I'm throughly enjoying with how this story is shaping up. Hopefully it's still as creepy and weird as chapter 1. Enjoy!