Season 1

The Police & The Defence Lawyer

“Kwon Jiyong! Pass this document to the lawyer in charge before you go to the hospital!”

That was the words that is being said by Chief Kim who has always been strict and particular about his team and his job. It is not shocking that their police department is the popular amongst the rest and has a high reputation due to the number of cases they efficiently solve.

“Yes sir!” Kwon Jiyong replied.

Kwon Jiyong. He is someone who will obey easily and will do anything for his job since this is his dream ever since he was 10. He may look friendly on the outside. Do not be fooled by his smile. He can be the most determined and manipulative person who would do anything to solve a case. It can be theft, kidnapping or murder, he will make sure nothing gets in his way. Despite having a gunshot wound on his shoulders, he will prioritize his job first.

Few minutes later…

“Yah! Is your wound okay?” Jennie, his internship junior commented.

“Yeah, it should be fine. I have applied sanitizer to clean the wound. I have to go now.” Jiyong replied.

Jennie gave Jiyong a worried look.

Ever since Jennie started interning there for 6 months, Jiyong is like a brother to her and they share so many memories together since they are pair up whenever a case has to be solved.

“Don’t worry kiddo! Go on and finish your report.” Jiyong replied while patting Jennie’s head and heads towards the door for the court.

-----

“Aigoo. Why is this kid Jackson not here? This wound stings so much.” Jiyong thought to himself while driving towards the court.

The person who is in charge of this job is usually Jackson, Jiyong’s junior. But he suddenly had to take an emergency leave.

-----

People were staring at Jiyong as his white shirt is filled with blood stains. Jiyong just brush it off and focus on giving the document.

“Oops! I’m sorry!”

A voice was heard as the person bumped into Jiyong's injured shoulders.

“Ouch! What the hell?!” Jiyong exclaimed.

“I’m really sorry.” The woman said and clasped her hands together to show she’s genuinely apologizing. She quickly rushes off as if she has an important meeting to attend to.

“Just who is that rude girl. She’s just going to go off just like that?! Whatever, I’m just going to get things done once and for all and head to the hospital.” Jiyong mumbled angrily to himself.

-----

“I’m sorry but Ms Lee is currently meeting the CEO who came for inspection. You will have to wait for maybe half an…”

“No way. I’m here not to meet that Ms Lee but I’m just here to pass this document about the recent kidnapping case from Gangnam, Seoul police station.”

Before the secretary could even finish Jiyong interrupted.

“Alright. I’ll make sure that I pass this to Ms Lee.” The secretary said.

“The office is surprisingly neat for a lawyer. She must have finished her cases quickly.” Jiyong thought to himself while looking through the lawyer’s office.

“Is there anything I can help you sir?” The secretary curiously asked.

“Erm...Nothing.” Jiyong replied.

As Jiyong was heading towards the door…

“Are you really okay? Your injury seems to be severe.” The secretary said.

Jiyong coolly raises up his thumbs up to show his fine and leaves.

-----

“I have to quickly rush to the hospital.” Jiyong thought to himself as he left the building.

He was tossing his car keys when it fell.

“Aigoo. What a bad luck today.” Jiyong thought to himself.

“There you go.” A woman hand over Jiyong’s keys.

“Thank… Wait?! You!” Jiyong angrily pointed his finger to the woman.

“Yes?” The woman was puzzled.

“Oh you!” She laughs before getting into serious mood again after seeing Jiyong’s serious look.

“I apologize about just now, I was really in a rush.”

Jiyong just stared at her.

“She’s… pretty.” Jiyong thought to himself.

“Here, you can have my card with my number and please if, there is anything I can help, I will compensate. Just call me.”

The woman said and quickly left.

“Seriously.” Jiyong looks pissed.

“Hmm… Lee Chaerin? A defence lawyer? Interesting.” Jiyong mumbled to himself.

Jiyong quickly placed the card in his wallet and head to the hospital.

-----

“She must be the lady I was supposed to meet at the office. Whatever, why is that woman in my mind.” Jiyong thought to himself as he is driving.

*Ring*

“Yeah kiddo?” Jiyong answered the phone call from Jennie.

“Is everything okay Yong oppa? What about your wound? Have you gone to the hospital yet?” Jennie ask Jiyong with multiple questions.

“Yah! One by one please my dongsaeng.” Jiyong joked around.

“Yes. Everything settled, and I am now on my way to the hospital.” Jiyong continued.

“Mmm… Okay. You need me to accompany?” Jennie asked.

“Nah. I’m good. Go home and rest, tomorrow is Friday and weekends afterwards, we should expect a lot of cases then.” Jiyong replied.

“Yes boss!” Jennie said. She laughed before hanging up the phone.

Jiyong could just afford to shake his head as he is too immune with his intern’s behaviour.

-----

“We will put you in our priority list sir. Our doctor will attend to you in at least 10 minutes. Do take a seat first.”

The person at the counter told Jiyong.

“Aigoo. I have been holding on for freaking 1 hour. This stings as hell.” Jiyong mumbled angrily to himself.

5 minutes later…

“Mr Kwon Jiyong, you may proceed to room 15.”

The announcement is heard.

“Wow! That was fast.” Jiyong thought to himself.

“I’ll follow you.” A woman’s voice is heard.

“Wait. How did you…” Jiyong felt surprised.

“I’ll explain later. Quick!”

The woman dragged Jiyong to the consultation room.

-----

“Let me see your wound.” Dr Park said.

“Wow. You seem to be holding on for quite some time the wound is bruised badly now.”

The doctor is shocked seeing how Jiyong could have hold on with the gunshot wound.

“It is not infected right doctor?” The woman asked.

“Thankfully it’s not miss.” Dr Park said.

Jiyong is just staring intensely at the stranger who he just knew an hour ago. The one who bravely got into the consultation room with him.

“Just who is this woman and what is her motive?” Jiyong thought to himself.

“Must have felt sorry.” Jiyong accidently mumbled to himself.

“Sorry?” The woman asked.

Jiyong just scoffed and smirked.

“Wait a moment while I prepare the equipment’s to take out the bullet and treat the wound.” Dr Park continued.

Few minutes later…

“Your girlfriend is caring towards you.” Dr Park tried to tease in order to break the cold ice in the room.

“She’s not my girlfriend.”

“She’s not my boyfriend.”

Both of them instantly answers together. The doctor just laughs, and the question is putting both Jiyong and the woman in a more awkward position now.

“I will now inject the anaesthesia to make your shoulder feel numb.” Dr Park says.

“No, I will be able to bear the pain.” Jiyong confidently said as he is used to having bullets taken off him since he became a police officer. And…

Also, because he wants to maintain his pride as a man.

“Okay then, it is our duty to respect our patient’s request.” Dr Park said.

“This will hurt for a few seconds. Please try your best to bear with it.” Dr Park tries to calm Jiyong down.

“Ouch!”

You might think it is Jiyong who let out the yelp but no, it’s the woman.

“Sorry!” Jiyong quickly said while trying to cover up his embarrassment.

Turns out, as soon as the doctor is in the process of taking out the bullet, Jiyong pinched the woman’s arms.

The woman could only afford smile and shake her head.

She slowly reach out her hands and held Jiyong’s arms. Jiyong was about to move his hands away but the woman’s grip was too strong and with the pain he is experiencing? He just forgets about his intention.

“See, it’s quick isn’t it?” Dr Park calmly said after removing the bullets.

Both Jiyong and the woman looked at each other and smiled while giving a sigh of relief.

They quickly felt awkward after making the eye contact since they have just only met.

-----

“So… Care to explain?”

Those were the words that Jiyong said as soon as both of them left the consultation room.

“Oh. When I saw you at the court and before you left, I really felt bad, so… I left my workplace and followed you.” The woman calmly explained.

Jiyong just nods slowly understanding the situation.

There was a long pause before Jiyong finally breaks the silence.

“What’s your name by the way?” Jiyong asked.

“You didn’t see the name card?” She asked.

Jiyong just shook his head when in reality, he already knows her name and just wants to casually get to know her.

“My name is Chaerin. Lee Chaerin.” She said.

“A rare name.” Jiyong said and smiled.

“Yeah… Yours too.” Chaerin replied awkwardly.

“I’m so glad that all is good with you now. I’m sorry but I need to go off now. It was nice seeing you!” Chaerin said.

“Nice to see you too.” Jiyong replied.

“She’s… kind.” Jiyong thought to himself while staring at the woman who is wearing the formal attire looking smart.

“Aigoo. Stop dreaming already.” Jiyong mumbled to himself.

“But why did I feel… a different kind of feeling, the moment she held my arms.” Jiyong thought to himself while heading towards the counter for medications and payment.

“Here’s your medications sir.” The woman at the counter said.

When Jiyong was about to hand over the amount of money for the medications,

“Oh, I forgot to inform you, someone came over and has already paid the full amount. Wait. She left a note. Wait a moment sir.” The woman said.

“Paid already?! Who’s that kind soul? Don’t tell me…” Jiyong thought to himself.

“Here’s the note.”

Kwon Jiyong,

You must have wanted to curse me a lot when I accidently hit your injured shoulder. With that, please forgive me. Do take that this as a way of me saying my apology. I’m really sorry once again.

Lee Chaerin.

“Aish. This problematic girl.” Jiyong mumbled to himself.

-----

The next day…

Jiyong texted Jennie that he will come in late to work.

“Jennie ah, please tell Chief Kim that I’ll be a bit late to work later. I’ll do overtime.”

“Nae, Yong oppa.” Jennie replied his message.

-----

“Can I speak to Ms Lee please?” Jiyong asked Chaerin’s secretary.

“Wait a moment yeah.”

“Ms Lee, someone named Kwon Jiyong wants to meet you.”

“Yeah sure, let him in.” Chaerin replied through the voice speaker.

“Yes? How may I help you?” Chaerin said.

“I’m here to give you back your money. I have my pride and I won’t just let anybody especially a stranger like you to manage my hospital bills.” Jiyong raised his voice.

“Wait… You saw my note, right?” Chaerin asked.

“You are doing this to pay back the fact that you accidently hit my injured shoulder? Yeah… I saw.” Jiyong said.

“Then? I’m not doing this for fun or for sympathy.” Chaerin explained.

“Oh, and by the way, man’s pride? Put that egoistic attitude away because that is not how you survive in the real world. You think of your pride and refusing help from people. You think that would help you? The answer is no! You are downgrading yourself do you know that?!” chaerin raises her voice as she felt frustrated.

Jiyong stared at her seeing how much confidence this woman named Chaerin has. Jiyong became speechless. It is like he does not expect such words coming from a lawyer. Sarcastic of course. Jiyong should know who he is dealing with.

Lee Chaerin. Who does not know her at the law firm. When she is working, she became the fiercest and toughest defence lawyer that even prosecutors can become enemies with her. However, outside of court room, nobody in the office can handle how high spirited and clingy Chaerin is with her bubbly self. Despite her bubbly self, she holds on to few meaningful philosophies of life and that is the reason why she is able to achieve her job ambition today.

Definitely not one he can mess with.

There are a few seconds of silence in the room.

“Woah. You’re… strong.” Jiyong just said those words as he does not know how else to break the silence.

“Actually, I was just joking about the pride thing but damn… Your words sort of made me feel… forget it.” Jiyong said.

“What the hell are you talking about? Are you trying to cover it up or…” Chaerin felt confused.

“No… Really. It was a joke.” Jiyong laughs.

“Actually, I wanted to tell you that my workplace will compensate the hospital bills since the accident happened when I was working.” Jiyong explained.

Chaerin felt embarrassed at the words she said.

“I… was… also joking when I said about that…” Chaerin stuttered.

“From your tone of voice? Definitely not.” Jiyong said.

Both Jiyong and Chaerin laughs.

“But hey… On a serious note, I really felt bad. Please tell me a way I can repay back what I did.” Chaerin said as she really felt guilty.

“Chaerin ah, you really don’t have to feel guilty and anyways, you did apologize.” Jiyong said.

“But… If you really think you want to repay me back, hmm… can you treat me for dinner?” Jiyong said with a sincere smile on his face.

At the same time, Jiyong do have an intention to get to know Chaerin better and that is why he asks for that request.

Jiyong used to have a fiancée 3 years back named, Sun Hye who is a famous ballet dancer. She was chosen to perform at an international stage in Paris. Unfortunately, she chose ambition over love. From that moment, Jiyong has lose hope in love and focus solely on his job as a police officer. Since he got to know a wonderful woman with a kind heart, he decides to give a second chance at love and get to know her better.

“D…dinner?” Chaerin became shocked after she got know his request.

“Yeah. Dinner. As a way to repay back… right?” Jiyong asked to make it seem like it is not his own personal request.

“Yes… Alright then.” Chaerin said.

-----

“Sir Jiyong! Why do you look so happy today?” Jennie asked.

“I have a date tonight.” Jiyong happily said with his face that is beaming with happiness.

“Wait. What?! Since when?” Jennie looks shocked considering Jiyong has never had any date with any woman before.

“Kwon Jiyong! Come to my office right now!”

Chief Kim’s voice can already be heard from a few metres away.

“Tell you later, now I have to face this angry tiger.” Jiyong whispers.

Jennie silently laughs behind her desk.

-----

“Where did you go just now and why are you late? You do know that today, Friday and during the weekends will be busy right? You still have stack of cases to solve.” Chief Kim reprimands Jiyong.

“Yes sir, I do know, and I apologize for my mistake. I will not do it again.” Jiyong said.

“Now tell me why you’re late, I need one good reason.” Chief Kim said.

“I gave the wrong document to the lawyer and had to go back there once again to give the right document.” Jiyong fluently lied.

I was not kidding when I said Kwon Jiyong is manipulative. In addition to that, he is a fast thinker too and it is not a surprise that the police station recruits him.

Chief Kim frowned.

“Okay. You may leave now.” Chief Kim said.

“Thank you, sir.” Jiyong said and gave that cheeky smile as soon as he turns his back against his chief.

-----

Lunchtime…

“Yah! Sir Jiyong! Tell me about your date!” Jennie asked.

“Actually kiddo, I met this woman yesterday named Lee Chaerin.”

“What a nice name!” Jennie exclaimed.

“Yah! Don’t interrupt me, will you?” Jiyong became frustrated.

“Opps! Sorry!” Jennie jokes around and even salute Jiyong.

“So, the first time I saw her, she accidently hit my injured shoulder. Well, she did say sorry. But then she just rushes off…” Jiyong continued.

“Woah! Rude!” Jennie hit her chopsticks on the table.

“Aish. You want me to continue or not.” Jiyong said and signalling Jennie to keep quiet.

Jennie nods.

“The next time I saw her was when my car keys fell, and she helped me picked it up. She gave me her contact saying if there’s anything she can compensate, she would. Afterwards, she suddenly appears at the hospital. Well, she followed me because she said she felt bad.” Jiyong explained the whole story.

“She accompanied you to the consultation room?!” Jennie shocked.

“Oppa yah! That is only something someone close to an individual would do.” Jennie starts to tease Jiyong.

“Yes! She followed me! The next thing I know, I was actually acting tough by refusing the anaesthesia…”

At this point, Jennie starts to laugh so hard.

“Of course! That’s my tough oppa!”

Jiyong just shook his head.

“Then, the embarrassing thing Jennie ah. I pinched her arms because it was too painful.”

This time, Jennie bursts out laughing and people in the surrounding were looking.

“Yah! Quiet down will you! Our colleagues are looking. You want to listen or not?!” Jiyong starts to get pissed.

Jennie nods and tries to be obedient but quietly tries to control her laughter.

“Okay, so she suddenly held my arms, maybe to make me feel calm. At that moment, I really felt a different kind of feeling, I felt safe and I felt calm.” Jiyong expresses his true feelings at that point of time.

“Ooo… My oppa is falling in love…” Jennie tease Jiyong.

“Then she paid for my bills and this morning, I went to give her back the money. Well, you also know right the company will compensate me the money.” Jiyong explained.

“Yeah… I know…” Jennie said.

“But oppa, didn’t she know you’re a police officer?” Jennie asked.

“Maybe not. Because she did not see me when I passed the documents.” Jiyong explained.

“I see. But wouldn’t she be curious as to what my bleeding oppa is doing at the court place?” Jennie asked again.

“You make some sense now. I don’t know. Maybe it didn’t cross her mind. She did not even ask.” Jiyong said.

“So, what do you think?” Jiyong asking Jennie’s opinion.

“I think my oppa is a grown up now who knows how to act tough in front of a woman.” Jennie said and laughs.

“Yah! Not that!” Jiyong jokingly hit Jennie’s head.

“Oh okay! I get it!” Jennie said.

Jennie became serious and said…

“If you really think she is the one for you, if you really think those feelings are love and not just pure infatuation, you should really confirm those feelings and I’m sure you will be able to know it tonight.” Jennie said.

“Ooo… Is this the dongsaeng and intern I know?” Jiyong teases the serious Jennie.

“You told me to be serious Yong oppa.” Jennie frowned.

“Okay… okay… But I have just known her.” Jiyong said.

Slowly, his confidence fades knowing his love might be impossible.

“That is why you should slowly get to know her, know her personality, maybe her family background. It’s not like you have to start dating immediately. Slowly get to know her. Maybe you can start with being friends with her? Who knows, she may also feel the same way as you are?” Jennie gave a sincere smile happy that his Yong oppa has opened up his heart and take a second chance at love.

“Yeah… You’re right. Thank you kiddo!” Jiyong patted Jennie’s head like what he usually does whenever he is in a happy mood.

-----

That night,

Jiyong sighs.

“Why am I so nervous? It’s just me meeting that annoying girl who is returning a favour.” Jiyong mumbled to himself trying to reduce his nervousness.

As Jiyong was walking back and forth, someone pat his shoulders.

“Hey! I’m sorry for being late. There’s a lot of work that gets caught up.” Chaerin explained.

“No… It’s perfectly fine.” Jiyong said while giving the awkward smile and avoiding eye contact.

After few seconds of silence,

“Anyways, you don’t really have to give me any excuse you know… be…be…cause… we’re just friends who will meet this one time. So…yeah…” Jiyong stuttered while saying those words.

Deep inside, only he knows how fast his heart is beating.

“Hey… you’re okay?” Chaerin frowned wondering why Jiyong is acting differently.

“Yeah. Let’s go now.” Jiyong quickly said and changing the topic.

Just when Jiyong is about to walk off, Chaerin pulled his arms.

Jiyong thought to himself.

“Oh my. That was embarrassing.”

“Wait, wait… We don’t know where we’re going… Are we?” Chaerin said.

“Ya! You’re right.” Jiyong exclaimed.

Both of them laughs.

Jiyong tried to calm himself down.

“Anywhere you want to go, I’m fine with it. Anyways, you’re the one who wants to return the favour.” Jiyong said.

“Hmm…” Chaerin starts to think.

“Actually… I do have a place in mind. Come! Just follow me! The place is near here.” Chaerin said while pulling Jiyong’s arms so that he is right beside her.

“Wait stop.” Jiyong said.

“I think you can let go.” He continued.

Chaerin did not realise that she was being too comfortable with Jiyong that she can easily held his arms. She felt embarrassed.

“Sorry!” Chaerin immediately let go of his arms.

“Now we’re good to go.” Jiyong said while walking at the front.

Chaerin is left behind. She stared at Jiyong who is walking

“I’ve never felt this comfortable with a guy before. Just who is this man and why… why is my heart beating quicker than usual.” Chaerin thought to herself.

“Yah! Quick! You do know that I don’t know the place, right?” Jiyong exclaimed from few metres away.

Chaerin immediately snap out of her thoughts and quicken her footsteps.

-----

“What are you doing Jiyong? Come and take a seat.” Chaerin said.

Jiyong froze there at the side of the road. His expression is clearly like he has just seen a ghost.

“A lawyer. A lawyer is eating here?! She is eating at a food stall by the roadside?” Jiyong thought to himself.

When Chaerin notices Jiyong is not budging from where he is standing, she immediately pulled him to sit down.

“Eomoni! 4 sets of tteobokki and 1 spicy noodle pls. Extra spicy!” Chaerin ordered as if she is a regular customer.

In actual fact, she is.

Chaerin turned to face Jiyong.

“What about you? It’s all on me. Just order whatever you like. The recommended ones would be the delicious tteobokki and the spicy noodle. Well, only if you like spicy.” Chaerin explained.

“You must be joking.” Jiyong finally opened his mouth.

“Wait. What?” Chaerin confused.

Jiyong tried to show the food stall with his hands hoping Chaerin understood.

“Aah. I knew it.” Chaerin clapped her hands.

“Knew what?” Jiyong asked.

“You thought a lawyer like me would go to expensive restaurants and order the most expensive dish.” Chaerin said.

Jiyong nods slowly.

“Aigoo. You’re not the only one.” She said after sipping the plain water from the cup on the table.

“I don’t get it.” He said.

“The first date that I went to…is here… at this place. It’s not the first time seeing that kind of expression. You know what the funny thing is?” Chaerin asked.

“What?” Jiyong gets curious.

“I never see that guy again.” Chaerin said.

Chaerin laughs and Jiyong is confused.

“You never loved him?” Jiyong cautiously asked.

“After knowing he’s actually after me for money? No thanks.” Chaerin said.

Jiyong continues to stare at her.

The food finally arrived. The tteobokki and spicy noodles are placed right in front of them. Chaerin is already holding the wooden chopsticks and Jiyong could only afford to smile seeing how excited the person in front of him is.

“So… Why this place?” Jiyong asked.

“I like it here. I sometimes don’t get it why would people stereotype the ones with reputable jobs as someone who cannot enjoy simple and plain things like this.” Chaerin explained.

“You like it here?” Jiyong asked.

“What are you trying to say?” Chaerin said and frowned.

“I mean. I don’t know. I have always thought that people usually have a memorable story to their favourite place?” Jiyong said.

Jiyong starts to notice a slight change in Chaerin’s expression. That cheerful look faded away.

“Chae ah… You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to you know.”

Before Jiyong could finish his sentence, Chaerin spoke up.

“I…had a painful childhood. I lost both of my parents in a car accident when I was 8. We were on our to a toy shop in Gangnam. From then on, I have always blamed myself. If it weren’t me asking for that stupid toy, both of my parents would still be alive now right?” Chaerin calmly said.

Chaerin tried so hard to held her tears. She held her head back and wipe the tears that already starts to form in her eyes. Without realising, Jiyong held her hands trying to calm her down.

Chaerin then continued.

“You know what were their last words to me? I still remember the exact words they said. They told me to always live simply… No matter how high my education is and even if I were to have a reputable job in the future, I should not be arrogant, and I should never look down on others.”

This time, no matter how much Chaerin tried to hold it in, when it comes to her parents, she just could not do so. Chaerin starts to break down in tears.

Slowly, Jiyong wiped her tears.

After a while, after realising they were both solemn in the middle of the busy road and hectic atmosphere, both Jiyong and Chaerin laughed.

“Aigoo. Silly me. Let’s continue eating.” Chaerin said.

“The table is only left with the tteobokki soup, you finished all 3 sets of tteobokki all by yourself. Now what else do you want to eat?” Jiyong to lighten the atmosphere.

Chaerin became embarrassed, she rests her head on the table in an instant.

Jiyong laughs seeing her antics.

“Yah… Please don’t blame yourself. I… know how you feel. It’s definitely not easy. But hey! You are not alone. You are surrounded by wonderful people who loves you dearly for who you are. It was meant for that incident to happen. Maybe as a learning point, maybe something incredible will come for you in the future, we wouldn’t know, won’t we?” Jiyong said softly hoping he could give even a little bit of comfort to Chaerin.

“You’re right, I should not dwell on it too much but sometimes the pain is unbearable especially at times when I miss them so much.” Chaerin said.

Jiyong nods his head slowly to show Chaerin that he understood.

“Okay! Now let me bring to you to a place that is stress free! Follow me.” Jiyong said.

“Aish… wait! I couldn’t even grab my bag.” Chaerin said.

Jiyong immediately held Chaerin’s arms heading outside of the food stall.

“Ehem… Ehem…” Chaerin starts to clear .

“Aigoo. Sorry.” Jiyong immediately lets go of her hand.

Jiyong touches his hair and avoided eye contact due to his embarrassment.

-----

“Arcade?” Chaerin asked.

“Yeah. Have a lot of fun and play all you want! It’s all on me!” Jiyong winked at Chaerin.

Chaerin frowned seeing his actions.

“I don’t really like to play these kinds of things.” Chaerin said and shook her head.

“Aigoo. It’s okay. I’m right beside you.” Jiyong said.

Both of them looked at each other for a few seconds and laughed afterwards knowing how awkward it is.

They were collecting the coins from the machine and Chaerin is holding the small basket to place the coins.

“Okay! We’re good to go.” Jiyong said feeling excited to play the variety of games in the arcade.

As soon as he said that, Chaerin accidently let go of the basket that consists of the coins.

“Aigoo. Have you always been this clumsy Chae ah?” Jiyong asked.

“Only when I’m with you.” Chaerin replied as she smirked.

Jiyong could only afford to chuckle.

“Chae ah. Where are you going? We haven’t finish this basketball game yet. Aish… This girl.” Jiyong said as she saw Chaerin walking away from the game they were at.

Jiyong followed her.

“What are you looking at? A soft toy?” Jiyong asked as he saw Chaerin standing still in front of the machine full of SpongeBob soft toys.

“This… This was the soft toy that I wanted back then.” Chaerin said in a solemn tone.

Jiyong kept silent knowing what Chaerin is talking about.

Without realising, he held her in his arms. They stayed that way for a few minutes. Surprisingly, they did not feel awkward and did not brush things off by their awkward laughter.

Jiyong lets go of the embrace and held Chaerin arms.

“You know what! Let’s win this! I will win you this.” Jiyong said energetically.

“Why would you?” Chaerin asked as she felt confused.

“I want you to fight your fears. I’m not telling you to get over it because I’m sure you will never will. I want you to be strong, I want you to face the fear that you have right now. The fear of having the feeling of regret whenever you see this soft toy. Think of it as a gift from me to you. Please?” Jiyong asked.

A slight smile can be seen on Chaerin’s face as she nods slowly.

After a few tries, Jiyong finally gets the SpongeBob.

“We got it!” Chaerin exclaimed.

“Yes! We both did.” Jiyong could not control his excitement.

Chaerin is hugging the huge SpongeBob tightly.

“Thank you Jiyong ah. For your supportive words and for assuring me that I should face my fears. It means a lot to me.” Chaerin said.

“No problem Chaerin ah. I just want to see you happy. That’s all.” Jiyong said.

After few seconds of silence…

“Hmm… What should I name this SpongeBob… Ji Bob?” Chaerin said.

Jiyong laughs.

“Ji?” Jiyong asked for confirmation.

He asked for confirmation even when he do know it is a short form for his name.

“Yeah… Jiyong bob.” Chaerin said.

“You’re cute…” Jiyong unconsciously said those words as he sees the wide smile on Chaerin’s face.

“Wait, what?!” Chaerin startled.

“I mean Ji Bob! Yes! Ji Bob! The name is cute.” Jiyong said trying to cover it up.

Chaerin realised the shy look on Jiyong’s face and decided to change the topic.

“Jiyong ah, I feel like I want to eat something sweet?” Chaerin said.

“So… Is it dessert time next?” Jiyong guessed.

“Yes, it is. Shall we?” Chaerin asked.

“Of course!” Jiyong said enthusiastically.

-----

After 10 minutes of walking, they finally found a secluded café that looks messy on the outside but is actually aesthetic and modern on the inside.

“One hot latte and hmm… do you sell pineapple cakes?” Chaerin asked.

“Yes we do ma’am.” The waiter replied.

“Wow. That’s weird.” Chaerin said.

The waiter looks confused.

“It has always been hard to find shops or even cafes that sell pineapple cakes.” She explained.

“Aah… I see. So, one hot latte and one pineapple cake?” The waiter repeats Chaerin’s order.

“Yes please. Oh wait! I would like to have the pineapple cake without the pineapple.” Chaerin said.

Jiyong starts to frown.

“What kind of a weird order is that? She is indeed special.” He thought to himself.

“What about you sir?” The waiter turned to Jiyong.

“An oreo chocolate cake and… a hot latte too,” Jiyong ordered.

Few minutes later, Jiyong asked Chaerin.

“Why would you order a pineapple cake if you do not want the pineapple?”

“I just like the taste of cake with pineapple and not the fruit itself. I’m weird right?” She replied.

“No… Not at all. You’re…unique.” Jiyong said.

Chaerin laughs.

“Well that’s a first time.” Chaerin said.

The desserts came and as they were indulging it, Chaerin remembered something she has always wanted to ask Jiyong but forgot do so.

“What are you working as?” Chaerin asked.

“Oh! I guess we have yet to formally introduce ourselves, right?” Jiyong asked.

“Yeah. That’s right!” Chaerin said.

“I’m Jiyong. Kwon Jiyong. I work as a police officer.” Jiyong said and introduce himself.

“Aah. So, you were the one who hand me the documents the other day?” Chaerin said.

“Yeah. That was me.” Jiyong said.

“No wonder. I was also wondering what you were doing at the court and… with a gunshot wound.” Chaerin explained.

“Well… I’m Chaerin…” Chaerin said and introduce herself.

“Lee Chaerin.” Jiyong interrupted.

“How did you…” Chaerin said and had the confused look on her face.

“The card you gave me remember and the post-it-note.” Jiyong explained.

“Aah. I see. So anyways, I work as a defence lawyer.” Chaerin ends her introduction.

Both of them smiled.

“Nice meeting you chingu.” Chaerin said as she held out her hand for a handshake.

“Nice meeting you too.” Jiyong said and respond to Chaerin’s handshake.

-----

Jiyong and Chaerin is heading back home…

As they were walking by the peaceful park, silence filled the atmosphere.

Suddenly, the rain came pouring down and thankfully they found a shelter to sit at and wait for the rain to stop.

“Okay! I will leave from here.” Chaerin said.

“Aah… Okay. Are you sure? It’s raining.” Jiyong said hesitantly as he does not want to part from Chaerin.

“It should be okay. It’s only drizzling. I’ll be fine.” Chaerin replied.

Few seconds after,

“I wonder if we will see each other again.” Jiyong said.

“Yeah. Me too.” Chaerin said those words while looking down.

After having few seconds of awkward silence and both of them just there standing still and not moving…

“Chaerin ah, do you want to bet?” Jiyong asked.

“So sudden?” Chaerin felt shocked.

“Bet on?” Chaerin became interested.

“If the next person who walks past us carries a black umbrella, we… will remain in contact. If not, then, we will become strangers after this and we… pretend that today… never happened.” Jiyong said definitely not hoping for the later one.

“Okay! I agree.” Chaerin immediately agrees with no hesitation at all.

Deep inside, she is also not hoping for the later one.

After 2 minutes of waiting…

“Finally! Look. Someone.” Jiyong said.

Both of them looked anxious.

The woman carries a white umbrella.

The look of disappointment on both of their faces are too obvious and indeed, they cannot hide it.

“Okay then. Strangers it is. Chaerin ah, thank you for…” Jiyong about to say his possibly last words that he could say to Chaerin.

Chaerin is still looking at the woman.

“Ssshhh! Wait…” Chaerin said.

Jiyong turned to face the woman who passed by them,

“Woah.” Chaerin exclaimed.

Jiyong is seen smiling and letting out a sigh of relief.

Turns out what they thought is a white umbrella is the cover of the… black umbrella.

Both of them did not talk for a few seconds.

“So… remain in contact it is…” Jiyong said.

“And today… did happened.” Chaerin continued.

Jiyong could not contain his happiness and he did not even realise he is smiling from ear to ear. Well, not only Jiyong, Chaerin too.

-----

From then on, Jiyong and Chaerin has frequently contacting each other. They were friends who are just getting to know each other. Finally, the both of them realise and confirmed their feelings. After they had their 2nd dinner as friends, they finally confessed to each other.

“Chaerin ah. I have something that I want to tell you.”

Chaerin seemed nervous, she starts to fidget her hands.

“Yes?”

After Jiyong finally gathered up his courage, he uttered the 3 words.

“I love you…”

Tears formed in Chaerin’s eyes. At that moment, at that moment of time, she did not expect that from Jiyong who is so brave to admit. Her dating experience is the ones that made this moment even more overwhelming to her considering she has always been used for money, she has always been cheated by her one and only man whom she loved back then. She did not know she could finally found a man who shares the same feelings as her and whom she also know, is genuine about his feelings.

“I love you too…”

“I don’t know how Jiyong ah. I really felt comfortable when I’m with you. It’s like we have known each other for a long time… I really…”

As soon as Chaerin uttered those words back, Jiyong went over and hugged Chaerin who is crying tears of happiness.

“I know. I really do know what is on your mind and heart because I feel the same way too.” Jiyong said with Chaerin in his embrace.

Jiyong thought to himself…

“The woman I loved. The woman I fell in love with the moment she holds my arms in the consultation room and giving me the assurance that she is there for me. The woman I fell in love with the moment I saw how pure her heart is. The woman I fell in love with the moment she opened up to me during our very 1st official meeting. That woman. That woman is right now… in my embrace.”

Chaerin thought to herself…

“The man I loved. The man I fell in love with the moment I know how sincere he is in wanting to be friends with me. The man I fell in love with the moment I know that I felt comfortable sharing my personal stories to him. The man I fell in love with the moment he gave me genuine advices that really helps me to get through my darkest days. That man right now… I am in his embrace.”

-----

This is for sure. In every relationship, there are its ups and downs. Same goes for the police officer, Kwon Jiyong as well as the defence lawyer, Lee Chaerin.

They barely had time for one another. Well, during the 1st phase of relationship, I guess it’s normal for couples to hide their dissatisfaction in order to avoid arguments and misunderstandings. That was what they both did. Both of them can be busy working and their free times and off days usually does not match. Well, having tough jobs, it is only reasonable to be busy.

Sometimes, Jiyong and Chaerin do have minor arguments over the phone or face to face but they have always settle it within that moment itself not wanting to drag it further. In one way or another, either one of them will give in. About their jobs? They are indeed mature adults who understands each other’s job quite well. So even if they don’t meet, they will talk over the phone.

However, one day, an incident happens and who could imagine that the incident can change their lives and their mindset and mentality about their relationship.

Flashback…

Chaerin suddenly received a phone call from Jiyong’s intern.

“Unnie ah. I need you to remain calm alright.”

“What happened Jennie ah?”

“Oppa… Jiyong oppa.” Jennie’s voice cracks.

“Answer me now Jennie ah. What happened?” Chaerin said anxiously.

At this point of time, Chaerin could not control herself knowing something bad happened.

“Jiyong oppa got shot and he is in ICU right now unnie.” Jennie explained.

There is a moment of silence on the phone before Jennie speaks up.

“Unnie. Stay strong alright… We have to pray for him.”

Chaerin trembled.

Finally she took a deep breath and wiped her tears.

“WhatsApp me the hospital’s name Jennie ah.” Chaerin said before ending the call.

“I have to leave now Ms Nam.” Chaerin quickly said to her secretary and then rushes off.

The ones waiting outside is only Mr & Mrs Kwon, Dami, Jiyong’s sister and Jennie.

“Mr Kwon, Mrs Kwon, Dami unnie.” Chaerin acknowledge them and bowed.

Dami patted Chaerin’s back.

At that same time, the doctor came out.

“Doctor, how’s my son’s condition?”

“He broke a part of his ribcage, he had some minor injuries in his tendons, he fractured his arms He also had a shock and that reduces his blood flow. But don’t worry. We will monitor his condition and ensure that he regains back his health. He is currently unconscious."

Mr & Mrs Kwon, Dami, Jennie and Chaerin listened to the doctor intently.

“Doctor, what about his gunshot wound?” Chaerin asked.

“We have safely removed it and turns out he is a strong person. His heartbeat was stable throughout and he did not suffer from any shock. I guess that’s the advantage of being a police officer.” The doctor said before he left.

Chaerin could only afford to look at the glass windows. Her heart might not be able to handle it if she were step closer to Jiyong. She stared at his helpless body lying on the bed.

“Why? Why must it be you?” Chaerin thought to herself.

Tears starts streaming down her cheeks. She is not that strong. Nobody would be strong knowing that their loved one is lying on the hospital bed looking powerless and weak.

Chaerin ran to the nearest toilet, slowly bring herself down to the floor and hid her head with her arms. She hides herself hoping nobody would see her breaking down.

-----

3 weeks after Jiyong’s discharge from the hospital…

At a café,

“Chae ah… It’s been a long time since we’ve last talked.” Jiyong started the conversation first.

Chaerin took a deep breath before she began to talk.

“You have been shot, you fractured your arms… That must have mean you do that to other criminals too. Which also means you can shoot them and you can beat the hell out of them and you could have been killed too. Am I right Jiyong sshi?”

Jiyong could only afford to look at Chaerin without saying anything because all those words that has been uttered are facts.

“I see that you would only deal with the criminals Jiyong ah. You handcuffed them, and you go all the way in ensuring that justice is served.”

She continued.

“Sometimes, it took me weeks and months to make sure that every case falls into place. Everything is accurate, and every evidence adds up to everything. I run over place after place hoping I could find the answer to what I’m looking for. In the end, my purpose is only one thing Jiyong ah… To defend the one whom you’ve caught even if it means me fabricating the evidence, even if it means me having to deal with my own emotions after the verdict is complete and the guilty criminal is deemed innocent.”

“On the other hand, you are saving innocent lives while hurting the criminals. That’s what you do. I let go of the person you’ve caught, while you are saving lives while hurting the criminals. Jiyong ah, I don’t think we are meant for each other.” Chaerin voice starts to tremble as she says those words.

No matter how fluent she is in the court room, no matter how good her work is in dealing with her cases, when it comes to dealing with her true loved one, failing to convey her words are more than possible.

Chaerin knows the words she is going to say is going to break both hearts. She could not help after knowing how incompatible their jobs are, she could not help it when she has to see the person she loved lying on the hospital bed helplessly. She just could not stand it.

Jiyong began to speak.

“I’m a police officer. Police officers like me have to follow orders. Even though what I involve myself in, may be dangerous for myself or the people around me, I have to carry this duty of mine with all my heart. I do go through nightmares throughout the tasks that I have been given. Chae ah… 2 of my closest friends has died right in front of my eyes when we were on an operation. Me and my fellow officers are doing this because someone has got to do this job. This is how I can protect my loved ones and you, Lee Chaerin from the bad guys. Our purpose is to ensure peace and a safe environment for the people in the country to live in.”

Chaerin listens intently.

“I’m a defence lawyer. I believe in protecting the criminals no matter they are innocent or guilty and nothing can change that, even when it hurts me psychologically and emotionally, this is what I do.” Chaerin explained her point.

“Right. I understand.” Jiyong said as he knows where this is going.

“I’m sorry… The first time we met, this is not what I had expected at all.” Chaerin said.

“I understand.” Jiyong said and gave a slight smile to show Chaerin that he understood.

“I have to go now.” Chaerin said as she slowly reaches for her bag.

“It was nice meeting you.” Jiyong said.