Chapter 1: Thank You for Helping

Bouquet of Hearts (COMPLETED)

Jin opened the shop early today. Wanting to get ahead of the traffic on the sidewalks, he had left his apartment earlier than usual and he didn’t see why he should sit in the shop without anything to do.  He began emptying the vases and pots of the older flowers and greens, setting them in the back corner to be taken care of when the day was done.  Restocking was never Jin’s favorite part of owning his own business but I wasn’t the worst thing he could be doing, taxes, paperwork, shipping requests, all were much worse than organizing sweet smelling daisies and soft lambs ear.

 

As he was rounding the last corner, placing the white roses beside the red, the bell chimed above the door signaling its opening.

 

“Welcome to A Small Piece of Heaven, can I help you find anything.” This was the normal response and Jin didn’t even look up from straightening the last vase until a smooth voice answered back.

 

“Yeah, um, so I kind of broke my Mom’s tea set and I’m here to get part of an apology gift.  She really likes orchids and hydrangeas, is there any chance that you have either of these and can help me pick something beautiful to make her less angry with me.” By the end the stranger was exasperated and kind of panting, having spewed all of this a such a rate Jin hadn’t thought possible. 

 

“I most definitely can help you, yes, but here take a seat, you look like you’re about to pass out.  You should learn to talk slower Mr…” Jin trailed off waiting for a name to be supplied.

 

“Kim, Kim Namjoon, but just call me Namjoon, there’s no need to be so formal with me. I’m basically a child, I break nearly everything I touch.” Namjoon let out a soft chuckle as he took a seat on the stool Jin had pointed out.

 

“So, you said your mother likes orchids and hydrangeas.  I wouldn’t mix the two together, that will look like you are trying too hard and don’t have any sense of style so how about I whip something up and have you okay it, does that sound okay?” Namjoon nodded at the cute florist and waited patiently for him to “work his magic”.

 

“I’m sure your mother isn’t too upset with you. I’m mean sure, women do take pride in their tea sets, but you are her son, I can’t imagine she’d chose a porcelain cup over you.” Jin hadn’t realized he had spoken aloud until there was a deep chuckle emitted from where he left the patron behind the aisle of ribbon.

 

Jin carefully plucked a handful of white hydrangeas, being wary not to knock the vase over, again, for the third time that morning.  He walked around the corner and grabbed a smaller handful of baby’s breath and lavender to add a pop of color and a dainty feel to the bouquet.

 

Going back to the counter, Jin lays the flowers down on his work space and walked back to grab some light purple and satin colored ribbons to wrap the stems of the plants. 

Namjoon watched as Jin made his walk back to the counter, a slight smile on his face, a sparkle in his eye as if this was his most favorite pass time.  In all probability it was, he did own a flower shop and it was immaculate, everything in its place and easy to find, beautifully arranged but still practical. 

 

“How did you get into this business?” Namjoon asked curiously.

 

“Flowers were always something I was good at, keeping them alive, arranging them, gardening was the one thing my mother and I did together.  I guess it was just what I was meant to do.  It makes me happy, I’m at peace when I’m at work and I like making people happy.” Jin didn’t realize that he was rambling but neither did Namjoon.  He was genuinely curious, having never truly known what he wanted to do or where his skills would be best placed, he had spent most of his adult life working as a translator for the local bank.

 

“Thank you, for being so kind. I wouldn’t have had any clue where to start let alone have been able to create something as incredibly beautiful as that.  Thank you so much.” Namjoon was never good at reading people, and Jin was no exception.  The expression that took over Jin’s features would confuse Namjoon for days.  He seemed conflicted, like no one had actually genuinely thanked him for his passion before. 

 

As Jin was finishing tying up the bouquet, knotting the ribbon in a perfectly executed bow, he handed the flowers over the Namjoon and told him to try not to break anymore of his mother’s things and that the bouquet was going to cost 21000 ₩. 

Namjoon handed Jin the money, thanking him again for the flowers and turned to leave the shop.

Jin’s day went along like it normally did.  Funeral Directors calling in to place orders for grieving families, Wedding Planners coming in with disgustingly affectionate fiancés, and the occasional mother and daughter to request corsages for the upcoming formal.  Nothing too out of the ordinary and he closed up shop after grabbing the old flowers that he moved that morning, placing them into a bag and locking the door to the shop.