Masquerade

Masquerade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AUTHOR POV

 

In a quite large college campus filled with thousands of students, one student in particular is the focus right now.

 

That student.

 

Hirai Momo.

 

She was your average college girl, there was nothing special in particular about her. She was an incredible dancer that’s for sure. But no one really knew about that side of her. She had her own group of friends so the world didn’t seem so lonely.  The only times she complained were really when she ran out of food or when her best friend Sana showed too much PDA with her girlfriend Dahyun.

 

Other than that. She was ordinary.

 

“Momo look!” Sana walked to one of the bulletin boards that was around the campus and pointed to the flyer.

 

Momo followed to where Sana’s fingers pointed and she read the flyer with ginormous letters that spelled. “MASQUERADE DANCE!”

 

The only thing Momo was interested in was the dance portion, needless to say that she could care less about the masquerade part where most would find most exciting.

 

“A masquerade dance?” Momo replied.

 

“LETS GO!” Sana being Sana happily jumped tugging on not only her girlfriend’s arm but Momo’s too.

 

“Sure we can go!” Dahyun agreed, “Just don’t mistake someone else for me!” She quickly sent a pout afterwards.

 

Sana laughed, scrunching her face. “Of course not DUBU DUBU!”

 

The two look towards Momo waiting for an answer. “Come on Momo! When have you denied anything involving dance?”

 

Momo took a sigh, “Almost never. But a masquerade? Really…? Seems boring. Cliché almost.”

 

Sana laughed, “That’s the point! It’ll be fun! No one will know it’s you. You can show off your talent without the spotlight of people knowing who you are!”

 

That part caught Momo’s attention. She sighed in defeat nodding. “Alright you got me there!”

 

Sana fist pumped the air in victory. “YES!”

 

“When is it anyways?” Momo looked back at the flyer scanning down the information for a date, time, and place.

 

“Hmmm, tomorrow night, 8 o’clock, at the observatory.” Momo was reading out loud for the others to hear.

 

“How the hell am I supposed to find an outfit in time tomorrow?” Momo looked at Sana.

 

“Don’t be a party pooper! You can find something I’m sure!” Sana lightly patted her friends head.

 

Dahyun just nodded behind her, showing a thumbs up. “If we can do it, you can do it.”

 

 

The day flew by fast and before she knew it, Momo was done with all her classes. She grabbed all her things, and hung the strap of her backpack over her shoulder.

 

The college campus was so big, and it would be a lie if she said it wasn’t pretty. But there was one place in particular that Momo liked to go after her day was done to wind down.

 

There was a small little spot behind the some of the campus buildings where a small pond was made.

 

The trees hung over the area, giving it nice shade and a great place to escape after a long tedious day. Momo was actually surprised by the fact that not many people came here often to study or take a breather. Perhaps they were too busy doing the typical college parties, or too busy trapped in the dorms.

 

She didn’t really care, but every time that she went there she would find herself left speechless by just how beautiful it was.

 

In the pond had many koi fish swimming about, and in a way it was enough to brighten up the scenery of the place.

 

She actually found the place by chance, it happened when she was looking for one of her classes one day when she got lost and ended up here.

 

As if the place itself wasn’t captivating enough, she remembered seeing a figure. A girl, innocently sitting by the pond, the wind softly blowing her hair, and a book in her hand. She stopped for a moment, taking a mental picture of that girl. But all she remembered seeing was the top half of her face, the bright yellow book covering the rest of it.

 

But there was something about her eyes, the way it was reading the pages, as if she was memorizing each word, her eyes carefully moved.

 

Then remembering how she was late, for the very first day of school she continued running for her life.

 

Ever since then she came back every Monday to that spot, hoping to see the girl with her yellow book.

 

But she never saw her again, and if she did, then there was no way she could tell. For all she really had to work with was the look of the person’s eyes, and the last thing she would do is go up and stare at people in the eyes.

 

 After waiting for around 15 minutes, she decided to leave. Waiting any longer than that would seem pathetic. Something she didn’t want to do.

 

On her way to her car, she got a text message from the one and only Sana.

 

SanaWho?: Don’t forget to buy something for tomorrow Momo! Don’t make me buy something for you! I’ll make it super girly if you don’t.

 

Momo chuckled and sent her reply.

 

Momo: You shop for me? No way. You can’t even shop for yourself. Don’t worry I’m on my way to look for something now.

 

She got into the car, the only place in mind being the mall.

 

 

After a while of shopping around and going store to store, Momo wanted to give up, let Sana pick something out for her. But then she imagined a pink puffy mask and she cringed at the thought.

 

“No way!” She shivered the image off.

 

She walked to a couple more stores, wandering around like a lost dog.

 

After a short while she finally came to a store that had a better selection than the other ones. She scanned through the masks trying to look for one that caught her attention.

 

Most of them were too bland, or too feathery, or too glittery. Until she saw something that caught her eyes.

 

“Can I see that one?” She finally noticed one a little too high for her to reach.

 

The worker nodded and got a stepping stool to climb up to get it for her. “This one?”

 

Momo nodded immediately. She couldn’t really see the details from where she was standing, but the moment that she got it from the worker, she knew it was something she liked.

 

It was simple, yet it was enough. The blue enhanced the features of the mask and in a way it wasn’t outdoing it as a whole.

 

 

The next day Momo survived half of her classes before Sana called her and told her to ditch the rest.

 

Before she could say no, Sana pleaded her because they needed to get ready for this “Once in a lifetime night.”

 

So Momo admitted defeat.

 

 

When Momo came out in her outfit, both Sana and Dahyun nearly fell back from awe.

 

Momo wore a black buttoned down shirt and, black jeans. But what stood out was the mask. The blue gems twinkled and enhanced her facial features. Her dirty blonde hair was tied up into a pony tail and she had a white tie, to make some contrast to the darkness of her outfit.

 

  (Momo's Mask)

 

“Wow! Momo! I’m actually shocked that you didn’t just buy a plain old white mask.” Dahyun laughed.

 

“As your best friend, I’m allowed to cry.” Sana faked wiping away her tears.

 

Momo laughed, a bit flustered at the compliments, “Ah guys, stop it. It’s like you’re my parents and I’m going to prom or something.”

 

They all laughed and took pictures of one another, and with each other.

 

Of course Dahyun and Sana coordinated so they basically matched. In a sense Momo kind of envied them, but they were indeed cute, so it was always a polite envious feeling.

 (Sana and Dahyns mask. Sana's on bottom. Dahyuns on top) 

 

 

When they got to the observatory it was jam packed. Parking was a major pain, but all was worth it when they went inside the observatory.

 

The lights were set to twinkle, and it really was like the stars were lit up in the sky. There were balloons that hung around that compliment the scenery of the galaxy-like theme.

 

In a sense, Momo was actually glad that Sana had convinced her to go. But there’s no way she would tell her.

 

The place was pretty crowded, the music was loud and the three met up with other people laughing and talking while dancing. They all exchanged names, majors, and got along with each other.

 

Momo was pretty much showing off her dance moves at this point, captivating the crowd in a trance. Her hips moving sensually to the rhythm of the music, swaying with the melod

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter