. maybe you make me think differently

Indifferent [renmin/minren, markhyuck/markchan]

Renjun places his tray down as he waits for Donghyuck to arrive, soon enough he does, and they both take a seat with a fork and spoon in hand. They grimace at the food before them as they start digging in, reluctant to try the mushed up pasta drenched in cold meatballs and under-seasoned sauce.

“This is almost as good as prison food,” Donghyuck complains about the dish in front of him.

 

“They probably have it better than us. Not to mention school is prison itself anyway,” Renjun comments on his claim, earning a nod in reply from the younger.

 

As a few seconds pass, he notices the cafeteria suddenly go silent. The change is gradual yet quick and this alone is enough to catch the attention of both the boys.

 

Donghyuck only looks past Renjun to the entrance of the cafeteria while the latter has to turn his back around to get a hold of the situation. Ah, this again, he thinks as everyone - them included - watches the members of the basketball team glorify their path as they walk in. They knew the eyes were on them, as one would be stupid not to see the smug smiles on their faces. Renjun has to admit, that he can't seem to even take his eyes off the immense amount of visuals radiating from their presence, how a look from them alone can make themselves known to the whole world. They probably shine brighter than the lights that blaze at them during their games, or anything in the world really, and it shocks him every single time as his mouth would be left wide open as he gazes at them.

 

Suddenly he remembers his one sided feud with a member of the team, Jaemin. His attention is immediately averted away from the team members and back at his food while solely trying to concentrate on ingesting the sad excuse of a pasta meal. Guilt runs through him as he only hopes that he had not been seen sitting in the cafeteria and for once, that he would be invisible enough to stay unnoticed. There’s no use in hoping he doesn't know Renjun as by the call of his name earlier during class proves for sure that Jaemin knows of his existence.

He waits nervously for them to pass as he takes a bite of his food. His friend sitting in front shoots a curious glance at him.

 

“Renjun, you're not still hung up over that incident yesterday are you?” Donghyuck steps in to ask, noticing the unusual behaviour of the boy.

 

“I’m not. The basketball team are just scary people,”

 

“Pfft! Scary my . They're just a bunch of egotistical, rude children,” he reassures, although he recalls the fact that Jaemin was eyeing him this morning and can see why the other feels so cornered.

 

“As long as I'm here you have nothing to worry about. Alright? I play basketball too, although outside of school, and not to mention recently started gymming,” he grins in hopes of destressing his ever nervous friend. Renjun hits him playfully and drags his focus back onto the food, looking down once again. Why hasn't the team passed by yet?

 

Donghyuck knows Renjun has always been wary of people, and not to mention especially the people everyone knows about. That makes the basketball team no exception, so when the incident from yesterday occurred he could almost feel the same amount of fear Renjun had in his stead. And as he keeps noticing the behaviour of Jaemin towards the boy, he can't help but grow more hatred and wary himself. He swears if he takes one more look at his best friend, he won't hesitate to do something about it whether it be confronting them or just plain fighting.

 

As the group of idolised students make their way towards the counter, he can't help but notice the path they take - near their table. With Mark leading the pack, they don't fail to walk right past Donghyuck. He grunts as he feels a hand brush over the top of his head, then a waft of cold air swiftly meets his strands as he notices the beanie he had been wearing is lifted off by someone. Donghyuck's hands meet his head almost instantly, grabbing his hair in place of the previously worn hat. He turns around wearing a clearly irritated look on his face to discover Mark’s smug face and his beanie swinging in his hand. He’s not about to joke around. As Mark prepares to walk off with his possession in hand, Donghyuck is quick to grab his wrist with a tight, heavy grip. This shocks the receiver as the sudden impact on his wrist pains him a surprisingly large amount. He notices this is the first time for him to act physically hostile, as most of the time they were only harsh retorts or insults. Did I cross the line this time? Mark asks himself, slightly worried about the nervousness in his face is too noticeable while the other’s expression only seems to darken with time.

 

“Woah, Ddongsukie...chill,” he says, clearly taken aback but still trying to cover up his shaken appearance by acting calm. Donghyuck doesn't move an inch, only eyeing the boy with hatred before he decides to say anything.

 

Renjun feels it. All eyes are on his table and he feels as if the world is about to collapse. Frozen with this fact in mind, he watches the situation slowly unfurl before him. Worry, fear, and anxiety is apparent in his expression, and only attempts to calm himself with the fact that Jaemin isn’t looking at him this time. All eyes are on his table, yes, but more specifically at the scene of the two boys’ deafeningly silent feud.

 

“If you wanted your hat so badly could've just asked for it,” Mark jokes, but the same shakiness in his voice still dramatically significant to Donghyuck. Why is so he nervous right now? He doesn't know why the boy is being so strange yet can’t care any less at the moment.

 

He sighs angrily as his eyebrows knit together, to which Mark finds hot, mentally slapping himself as now is definitely not the time to be thinking such things. He tries everything to bite back his slowly forming smile and possibly heating ears.

 

“Forget the beanie,” he continues with irritation. He leans closer to Mark’s face and whispers something, making sure Renjun can't hear any of it, “Just make sure your friend stays away from mine,”

 

The statement is audible to the rest of the basketball team standing near Mark but Renjun remains clueless on the opposite side of the table. He only hopes nothing will go wrong after Donghyuck said whatever he said to him. Mark inevitably looks taken aback as his face starts to heat up with speed. , wrong place wrong time! He thinks, out of all the situations he's been in, why this one where everyone is clearly looking at him? He places a hand over his mouth as if it seems like he's coughing and lowers his head, turning his chin a little bit to look at Jaemin.

“My friend?” Mark questions him as the latter only shrugs it off.

 

Jaemin repeats his words, keep your friend away from mine? He only manages a chuckle ridiculing the statement as he raises an eyebrow, and refers to the fact that he has absolutely no intention of staying anywhere near Renjun. But as much as he finds the two friends intriguing to watch, he decides to reply with a short and simple statement.

“You have no authority over my actions,” Jaemin continues, everyone in shock. That was probably the most Jaemin has spoken to someone outside of their group, and in one constructed sentence rather than ‘mhm’s or ‘I don't care’s. “That being said, I have no interest in your friend,”

 

He smiles falsely, and looks to take one glance at Renjun who'd been sitting quietly this whole time, not even muttering a word or gasp. He’s ready to dismiss him and his existence, but at the moment he lays his eyes on his solemn expression, it's as if he feels something click in his heart and suddenly hates to see Renjun so afraid of him. Jaemin isn't sure what makes him feel that wave of affection, or guilt, he doesn't know which it is. He can only feel his own expression soften as he finds himself looking intently into the others’ eyes again. He’s sure a few seconds passes before deciding to come to his senses and break the eye contact. He can't let this happen again. The look on his face snaps back to a cold stare directed towards Donghyuck as he sees the other jolt in surprise.

 

“We have no more business with you,” Jaemin says emotionlessly as he pushes Mark's arm to lead them out of the situation. At the last minute Mark reaches out and places his beanie back onto his head roughly, almost like a throw but it manages to hang on anyway. The other being shocked at this sudden kindness could only stare at the team’s leader as he leaves. Out of all the things he steals from him, this is the first time he gives something back. Donghyuck could only ponder on the reason why he decides to return his beanie.

 

Realising the real issue he quickly snaps his head to look at Renjun. “You're ok right? He didn't look at you this time did he?!”

 

“I don't think so,” Renjun lied. Actually, he did look at him and they even made short eye contact. At first he was met with the same icy gaze, frightening but somewhat grown used to. Then suddenly Jaemin’s eyes were beginning to grow mellow, as if it had the potential to shower him in warmth. Despite all the hostility against Renjun he can't help but feel his own heart warm at the sight of his softening eyes, before they snapped right back to the regular menacing ones. The small boy doesn't know what's happening, and doesn't understand the thoughts in his mind every time he's been stared at.