Chapter 1

One Last Year

After school, you leave the building just to notice that is has started to rain. A light summer drizzle is making girls squeak and cover their heads with their bags and teachers are getting out their black umbrellas so they are sheltered on the way to their cars that are parked in the parking lot not too far away.

That's when he sees you. Instead of running around like the other students who are annoyed by the sudden rain, you are standing there calmly. Your long hair is in a loose ponytail while you're staring at the scene in front of you. It looks so serene, so picturesque. Without wanting to, he finds himself shuffling, rummaging through his back to get out his most prized possession, the old camera he is always carrying around. Rain is dampening his hair, but he doesn't notice, doesn't care, doesn't realize what is happening until he turns back and you are gone.

Gone.

He spins around and sees the back of your head. You're jogging to the parking lot, through the mass of students until you get lost in the blurry sea of open umbrellas.

*

You grin when you see Lucas sitting in front of the steering wheel, his eyes focused on whatever mobile game he's playing. You open the door and hop into the car.

"Hey."

Lucas greets you with a funny face and then puts his phone away to turn the engine back on. You put on your seat belt and feel your hair to see how wet it has gotten during the short sprint while he shifts into another gear.

Lucas is... your friend. Someone you can rely on. Although he likes to joke around a lot and doesn't care much about respect and formalities, you still trust him a lot. Because you were taking a few senior classes, you met him and somehow became friends. After graduation, he started working but you still stayed in contact. Miraculously enough.

"How was school?", he asks.

"Ok", you hum. "But I got a lot of homework." You frown a little thinking about the amount of pages you have to write for your English class, not to mention the math homework.

Lucas throws you a quick smile, knowing that despite your worry, you will do well. He has always been impressed by your will to study, the innate ambition you seemed to harbor and the determination. He could barely finish a book without falling asleep halfway in between.

"Jaehyun has a party this Saturday", he mentions absent-mindedly. "Do you want to come?"

You shift a little in your seat, remembering the good-looking senior every girl seemed to like. He was very popular due to his handsome looks and it didn't help that he had a warm personality. You remember him sincerely doing his best in a group project you were paired for.

"Why not. But does he want me there? I haven't spoken to him in a long time."

"I always talk about you", Lucas says, making an exaggerated wink. "So, yeah. He wants to see you again."

*

Renjun sits up when he hears the knock. He turns to Haechan, giving his friend a questioning look, but Haechan just shrugs. He doesn't know either who it could be to disturb the quiet peace of the photography club.

The door opens and the first thing he sees is your face. Red exploded on his cheeks and he coughs a little confronted with the sight of your bright eyes.

"Hey." You close the door behind you as you come in, smiling sheepishly at the three boys. Since you are the vice president of the journalism club, you have met them a few times. There's Renjun, the Chinese national, with dark hair and round eyes who seems very shy. Then there's Haechan. His hair is the color of flaming copper and he often has sarcastic or snide remarks reserved for people. Finally, there's Jisung, the youngest of them, an underclassman who resembles a mouse with his upturned nose and dyed blond hair.

"I'm here to pick up the photos", you say quickly, having thought about the unique characteristics of the three boys for too long. "Since Mark is sick."

"Oh, Mark is sick?", Jisung repeats, his eyebrows drawn together, while Renjun quickly jumps up to get the envelope with the photos they had taken at the football game. While you and Jisung make small talk, he takes one last look at the pictures. They had taken quiet a few ones showing the new captain Jaemin, who had replaced Johnny Seo, the recent graduate originally from Chicago.

Seeing the confident pose Jaemin struck, Renjun had felt quiet small, but he focused on getting the right exposure and then took picture after picture. That was the job required of him as a photography club member after all, but he couldn't help but wonder. Wonder what you thought. Thought about guys like Jaemin who had confidence and popularity and didn't freeze in front of girls.

Renjun shakes his head and puts the pictures back into the envelope. He discreetly pushes it to Haechan and then sits down again, trying to stare at the wall behind you.

"So, the deal for the summer formal is still on, right?", you suddenly ask, wanting to make sure. Haechan rolls his eyes at you words, handing you the manila envelope.

"Nope", he says, popping the 'p', quite enjoying the look of shock you have for a second. "We suddenly decided to disband this club." When you tilt your head, looking at him so gullibly, he shakes his head. "That was sarcasm", he adds and your expression relaxes.

Jisung waves his hand. "Just ignore him", he whispers. "He got scolded by Mr. Kim today." He smiles, showing his teeth, so you smile back.

At the sight of your bashful grin, Renjun can't help his heart beating in his chest, blushing even harder than before. He buries his head in his arms before Haechan can pick up on his misery.