Ch. 8: A Trip Back Home

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

 

           Taeyeon and Yeon-Seo take a walk in the beautiful garden together. “First sister, I have a favor to ask you.” She said, remaining calm. “Can you go to your uncle and ask for the gold jade ring that belongs to Teacher Yoo back? The ring somehow ended up in your uncle’s hand.”

            “Taeyeon, I don’t know if I can do it. Seung-gi doesn’t want me to get involved in any of this matter.” Said Yeon-Seo.

            “First sister-in-law, Nichkhun and I really need your help. Father is giving Nichkhun a hard time about the Teacher Yoo and the ring.” She said, convincing. “The ring is the Yoo’s inheritance. It is pass down for many generation. I hope you can help me get it back. It’s the last thing I can do for Teacher Yoo… I feel like a useless person, unable to help him with anything. He nags from time to time. Drowning himself in alcohol. I really want to help him… and this is the only way I can help him carry at least some burden off him.” Taeyeon trying to be convincing by being sad as she looks at Yeon-Seo.

            Yeon-Seo hesitates for a moment. Taeyeon quietly pleads inside her head as she waits anxiously yet patiently for an answer.

            Yeon-Seo takes a deep breath. “Okay, I will help you. Please give me some time to talk to Seung-gi about this first.” She said.

            Taeyeon smiles as she holds Yeon-Seo's hands. “Thank you, first sister.” She said.

            Yeon-Seo warmly smiles.

 

[In Seung-gi and Yeo-Seo’s room]

            Yeon-SEO enters the grand bedroom and sees Seung-gi sitting at his work’s desk place near the small living room area in the center of the room. She walks over to him and sees him reading a literature book.

            “Seung-gi.” She called him. He looks at her. “I would like to go back home and visit uncle Se-jun. It’s has been a long time since I’ve seen him. I wish to pay him a visit since his birthday is coming up soon.”

            Seung-gi stop reading and stares at the blank space for a second before he closes the book and looks at her.

            “You want to visit Marshal Hwang to get the gold jade ring?” Said Seung-gi.

            Yeon-Seo was shocked that Seung-gi knew they reason why she wanted to go back to her hometown. She nervously faces him yet tries to remain calm at the same time but avoid his eyes.

            “Honey, you’ll never be involved in this situation besides housework matters. Why suddenly you want to go back? Did someone force you?”

            “No. no one forced me. I really want to go back and visit uncle Se-jun.” Said Yeon-Seo.

            “Who wants you to go back to the Hwang and get the gold jade ring?”

            “No one really.”

            “Father never wanted you to be involves in anything else but house order. Doojoon would never ask because he’s busy with military training. I don’t think Nichkhun would ask for your help either, unless he ask Taeyeon to ask you for help.”

            “There’s nothing I can’t hide from you. However, I truly want to go back home and visit my family.” Said Yeon-Seo. “Please.”

            Seung-gi sighed. He stands and holds both her hands. “If you wish to go back and visit then I won’t stop you.” He said with a smile. “But you have to be careful.”

            Yeon-Seo nod, “I will.”

            “Ok.”

* * * * *

            Standing in front of the pond, Taeyeon watches the goldfishes swimming around the lotus in the pond. Taeyeon thinks of Kangin and the words he said to her back in Kimch’on, the night after the hunting. She couldn’t help but recall the past where she was a student in high school and running through the crowded out in the field. With her best friend, she watched Kangin make a speech in front of the people, a speech about of reforming China and rebelling against the warlord dictatorship. It was the moment where their relationship begins.

            “Taeyeon.”

            Seung-gi called her as he walks up to her. She turns and greeted him with a 45-degree bow. “First brother.”

            Seung-gi stands beside Taeyeon and looks at the open in the garden of the Lee resident backyard. He inhale and exhale softly before he looks at her. “Yeon-seo asked me if she could go back to her hometown and visit her uncle. I was curious why suddenly she wanted to go back after 5 years. Honestly speaking, there’s no way she wants to go if it weren’t a favor from someone else.” Seung gi said in a calm tone as he glances at her.  

            “First brother...” Taeyeon hesitates for a second wit her eyes nervously looking at the ground. She takes a soft inhale and gathers all the courage to look at him again. “It’s an important matter. There is something that I must retrieve before Teacher Yoo burial. General Hwang has it, therefore, I ask first sister-in-law to help me retrieve.”

            “Ah… I see.” Said Seung-gi. “Is this Nichkhun’s idea?”

            Taeyeon’s heart skips a beat, nervously yet frightenedly. She shook her head, “No, it was my idea.” She said.

            Seung-gi takes a deep breath at he gazes at the beautiful flowers in the garden.

            “First brother?”

            “It’s her choice, not mind.” Said Seung-gi. “But let me remind you, General Hwang is not an easy person… a stubborn and prideful man. Whatever you are looking for, you might not be able to get it back.”  He looks at her one last time before he leaves the garden.

           

[The front of Lee’s resident]

            A car waits in front of the Lee’s resident. Yeon-Seo walks down with a small suitcase bag in on hand. Taeyeon hurriedly up to her.

            “First sister-in-law.” Taeyeon called.

            Yeon-Seo looks at her with smiles. “Taeyeon.”

            “Please let me help you.”

            “It’s okay, it’s not that heavy. I can carry it.” Said Yeon-Seo. “What are you doing here?”

            “I’m going with you.” Said Taeyeon. “You are better than one.”

            “You don’t have to. I can go by myself. It’s won’t be long.”

            “But I—.”

            Nichkhun walks up to them. He reaches for the bag from Yeon-seo hand. “I’ll carry it for you.”

            “Nichkhun.” Yeon-seo startles in shock as she looks at him.

            “Two women going without a man in unacceptable.” He said pridefully.

            “Why is that? I’m just visiting my family.” Said Yeon-seo.

            Nichkhun playful inhale and exhale as he looks at the sky then down at the two women in front of him. “It’s best to have a man you and Taeyeon.” Somehow his eye glides over to Taeyeon, looking at her sweetly.

            Yeon-seo glance at Taeyeon and smiles seeing how shy Taeyeon is. “I get it. You just want to make sure of Taeyeon’s safety.” She teased them.

            Nichkhun smirks lightly. “And you as well, first sister.” He said. “Since we’re all going to the same place, I might as well drive.”

            “Why do you need to go to Taejon?” Yeon-seo asked.

            “I have an old friend there. It’s been a month since we’ve seen each other, so I wanted to see that friend.” Said Nichkhun, calmly.

            Taeyeon looks at him. Her eyes fill with suspicious yet a hint of jealous. “More like visiting another of his woman.

            Nichkhun looks at Taeyeon and notices the strange looks she’s giving him. Nichkhun tilts his head with charming eyes and a soft smile to affirm her his friend is not a woman, yet Taeyeon was clueless and looks away from his eyes.

            “Alright. Let’s go then.” Said Yeon-seo with a smile.  

            Nichkhun nod. He grabs the door handle and opens the door for the two women. He looks at the butler who’s standing at the end of the car. “I will drive them. You can leave.” He said.

            The butler nod agreeably then leaves. Taeyeon walks up to the car, Nichkhun quickly reach for her right hand and help her into the car. Taeyeon was slightly shock and pulls her hand back, but his grip was too tight. He did no let her go. Yeon-seo turn and sees Nichkhun displaying his affection to Taeyeon in a sweet yet flirty way. Taeyeon had no choice but to accept his assistant and enter the car. She sat next to Yeon-seo in the back row. Nichkhun close the door and walks over to the driver seat. He enters the car, start the engine, and begin driving away from the Lee’s resident. Seung-gi watches them leave from the second floor in the hallway.

            The drive was long. Two hours have passed already. Nichkhun glance at Taeyeon through the rear mirror from time to time. Yeon-seo was too busy looking out the window to notice. As they get closer and closer to the Hwang territory, Yeon-seo feels her heart beating nervously fast and mind empty. She prepared a script in her head while sitting in the back row of the car. Words of what to say to her uncle, a man that’s like a second father to her.

 

[The Hwang Camp]

            Soldier gather at the open field with the center fight stage surround by the wagon and rice bags. One soldier and another firm build man fight furiously on the stage. Sitting near the tent on the patio is General Hwang as he enjoys watching the fight in front of him.

            “Fight! Fight!” The soldier shouts excitedly with the hands in the air.

            A soldier walks up to Chansung and whispered his left ear. His eyes lid shock wide. Immediately he leaves quietly. General Hwang glances at Chansung from the corner of his eyes and sees him leaving the camp.

            Exiting the camp, Chansung sees Yeon-Seo standing at the gate of the camping waiting with Taeyeon. He hurriedly up to them and with a smile he gives Yeon-seo a meaningful embrace.

            “It has been so long, big sis. Many years have passed since I’ve seen you.” Said Chansung

            Yeon-seo embrace Chansung tightly as her eyes filled with happy tears. “I miss you too.” She said as she his back lightly. “You’ve grown into a man. A very handsome and talented man.”

            Chansung breaks the hug but did not let go of her hands. “You’re still the prettiest woman ever.”

            Yeon-seo blushes a little.

            “Big sis, what are you doing here? This is not the place you should be. It’s dangerous here.” Said Chansung worriedly. “How did you get here? Did the Lee’s kick you back here?” He eyes narrow together as he tones raise to anger.

            “No no. They treat me very well. I came today because I miss you and want to visit you and father…. I mean uncle.” Yeon-seo slowly sorrows as she mentioned General Hwang.

            “Big sis, no matter what happens you will always be his daughter. Though he is still mad, but never did he say you are not a part of this family.” Said Chansung.

            Yeon-seo weakly smiles as she looks into Chansung’s eyes. “I know.”

            Chansung look passes her and notices Taeyeon standing a couple feet away and looking at them. “This is…?”

            Yeon-seo turns around and grab Taeyeon hand, “This is Taeyeon, Nichkhun’s wife. She is like a little sister to me.”

            Chansung greeted her with a 45-degree bow. “It’s finally nice to meet you.” He said.

            Taeyeon returns the greeting with a bow a well. “It’s nice to finally meet you as well.” She said.

            “I heard Nichkhun’s wife is a beauty, but I never expected you to be as beautiful as my big sis. No wonder he does everything to have you as his wife.” Said Chansung.

            Taeyeon was slightly confused by his words but ignore it quickly when she remembers her mission.

            “Chansung, where is father?” Yeon-seo asked.

            “He’s inside watching the fight for the major position in the upcoming war.” Said Chansung. He looks around and notices Nichkhun nor any guard with them. “You two came here alone?” he asked.

            “No, Nichkhun drop us off here. He has to go see an old friend and then will come back to pick us up.” Said Yeon-seo. Chansung felt it was too fishy that Nichkhun would leave his beloved wife here at the Hwang territory, yet he careless about it and only happy to see Yeon-seo again. “Can you take me to father?” She asked.

            “Of course.” Said Chansung, happily.

            Chansung walks the both of them into the camp.

* * * * *

Driving around the city and park his car at the corner fo the market road. He carefully walks through the valley to the next busy road and into a restaurant. The host walks him up the stair to the second level of the restaurant and stop in front a room at the end of the hall. The host walks away, Nichkhun enter the room. Sitting near the window, looking down the busy street, he heard the door open and close. He immediately stand and bow 90-degree as Nichkhun walks up to the table and takes a sit across from him.

Jackson, I hope you have some good news for me.” Said Nichkhun as he pours himself a cup of tea.

Jackson takes a seat before he begins to talk. “General, I follow you're ordered and investigate on Teacher Yoo’s assassination. There’s no lead or anyone on that train that they recognized the man that left the room beside Junho and Wooyoung until a little girl who overheard the conversation told me everything. I went through the registration book at the train station and Yonghwa have signed in with a fake name, using the Choi surname.”                     Nichkhun put the cup down and grit his teeth. “What did the little girl tell you?”

“She told me she heard a little bit of the conversation. A man was grieving and jealous telling a story of his younger days. She also mentions that she heard the man say that he has to follow the ordered. After that, she was taken away by her mom.” Said Jackson.

“Did you ever find out who that person was?”

            “No, general. I’m sorry.” Said Jackson guilty with his head down.

            Nichkhun sighed as he looks at the sky through the window. There was a moment of silence before he looks at Jackson again. “Let’s put that aside.”

            “General?”

            “If I continue to search for the man who end that order, he will not show up. I rather put that aside and focus on something else. He will eventually show up. His target is me.” Said Nichkhun with sorrow yet anger in his eyes as he stares at the sky. He take a deep breath before he looks down and at Jackson again. “I have a new mission for you. I want you to tail the Choi’s army. I heard they are planning something big. Find out what they are up and report back to me.”

            “Yes, sir.”

            “There will also be a woman on this mission with you as well.”

            “I understand.”

* * * * *

                        Walking into the camp and up the couple stairsteps. Chansung stop. Yeon-seo and Taeyeon also stop a couple feet away from General Hwang. Yeon-seo looks at General Hwang and tears overwhelm her eye. She slowly walks up to General Hwang, who did not look at her back.

            “Marshal Lee and his sons do not dare to come to see me, so he sends two ladies to speak on his behalf?” Said General Hwang.

            “Father…” Yeon-seo shed tears as she kneels down in front of him.

            “Big Sis!”

            General Hwang finally looks at him. Unable to tolerate her tears, he looks at Chansung, “Tell her to stand up.” He said.

            Chansung walks over to her and helps her stand up.

“I know why you both are here today.” Said General Hwang in cold tone.

The fight ended and kneels in front of him. General Hwang sighed as he looks at the two men then back at Yeon-seo.

             “Since you are here, why don’t you make a choice. Who will win the next fight?” Said General Hwang. “The winner lives. The loser dies.” He held his gun out. 

            “It’s pointless to pick who win or lose. Why kill an innocent when I can gamble my life?” Said Taeyeon, bravely.

            “Taeyeon, don’t.” Said Yeon-seo frightenedly.

            General Hwang looks at Taeyeon and nodded his head, acknowledging her braveness. “Good. You have the gut to speak to me like that.” He said. “If you lose. Then I will have your life.”

            “If I win, please give me back Teacher Yoo’s gold ring.”

“If you win.” Said General Hwang with a smirk.

“Father, please stop.” Yeon-seo begged. “We came to ask you to for the ring.”

            “Everything comes with a price.” Said General Hwang with a smirk. He stands and faces Taeyeon, who now stands in front of Yeon-seo. “A life for a treasure item is an equal trade. If you win, I will give it back to you. But if you lose, I will take your life.”

           

To be continued…………………