Ch. 3: The Rival

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

           “Right now, it may seem like you are surrounded by the Hwang’s army and ready to attack the city at any time soon. The third master is not threatened by the enemy, instead, he sits here calmly wait for the enemy to make its’ next move so that he can play a game with his enemy.” Kangin’s eyes change into sharp as he looks at Nichkhun. “Surrendering the mountain to the Hwang’s army was just out of the bet. The kind gesture may look real, but it is fake. What’s real is the eyes of the third master looking to find the enemy weakness. Once the enemy takes the next step to enter the city, you will have the enemy surrounded by your army. Fifty thousand soldiers in the city. Two hundred thousand soldiers outside the city waiting for your command. You could win this war, but you choose the people over the mountain.” He said with his left two fingers pointing down at the table.

            Nichkhun grins his teeth as he looks at Kangin. In a flash, Nichkhun stands and grab Major Jang gun from him and point at Kangin head. Kangin slightly turns his head and looks at Nichkhun.

            Taeyeon immediately runs up to them. Hyoyeon followed her closely.

            “Stop!” Taeyeon raised her voice as she runs and stops just five feet away from the two men. Her eyes, in shock and scared, look at Kangin. Kangin was surprised to sees Taeyeon here. Nichkhun sees how concern Taeyeon is through her worries yet frightened eyes and action. He looks at Kangin again and knew instantly that he was the one she has in her heart. He lowers his gun and gives it back to Major Jang.

            “No wonder my brother sent you up to work for me. You indeed are a talented man.” Said Nichkhun annoyingly. He walks to Taeyeon and wraps his right arm around her waist. He pulls her close to him. “A talented man should know what’s right and what’s wrong. If you take one wrong steps, then I can’t guarantee next time your life is saved.” Kangin glance at where his arm was at then quickly look back at him. “Let me introduce you. This is my wife, Kim Taeyeon.”

            Kangin formally bows, “It’s an honor to meet you, Mrs. Lee.” He said.

            “Please call me Taeyeon. Don’t be too formal.” Said Taeyeon, who looks at him with a pair of hurt eyes.

            “Understood.” Said Kangin.

            “It has been a long time since you left. You must have forgotten about me and the family.” Said Hyoyeon in a mad tone.

            “I plan on going to visit after meeting the third master.”

            “Good. Or else I would assume that all the things you studied in Japan have must make you forget the people that have been waiting for you here in Korea, and only to aim high.” Said Hyoyeon, upset.

            Kangin smiles lightly. “One a family will always be family. Nothing can replace it.” He said.

            “Good. At least you still remember that.” Said Taeyeon in a sad tone. She grabs Nichkhun’s right hand off her. She turns and walks away.

            Nichkhun watches leave.

            “Since you are back. Why don’t you handle the family matters now?” Said Hyoyeon before she walks away and follows Taeyeon out of the garden.

            Kangin sighed. “This little cousin of mine never changes. Still hot-tempered like before.” He said before he looks at Nichkhun again. “I’m sorry the third master. It seems like I have to pay my family a visit.” He bowed before leaving.

            Nichkhun lifts his left arm up, stopping him from leaving. “Since you are here, why don’t we go hunting?” He said. “I’m in the mood for a walk and hunting. We are leaving soon.”

            Kangin hesitates to answer him.

            “But the gun has no eyes.” Said Nichkhun with suspicion. “If the bullet hit someone… it will not be good.”

            Nichkhun walks away with a light smirk, leaving Kangin worries standing under the sun. Kangin couldn’t help but worries that his words have cause Nichkhun’s to be suspicious of him. However, it does not stop him from taking risk steps to work closely under Nichkhun. He takes a deep breath before he makes his way to the front of the house.

            “Taeyeon, are you okay?” Hyoyeon asked as she walks up to her.

            Taeyeon stops in front of the black car and rests her right hand on her chest. “I’m fine.”

            “Why did you run away?” Nichkhun asked as he walks up to her. “Do you know him?”

            Taeyeon turns and sees him standing in front of her. Her eyes glide to the side a bit and see Kangin making his way to the car. She looks back at Nichkhun, who is waiting for an answer. “No.”

            Nichkhun tilts his head without taking his eyes off her. “Why does it feel like you two have known each other for a long time?”

            “It’s there second time meeting each other.” Said Hyoyeon, knowing that Taeyeon is trying hard to hide her past with Kangin from Nichkhun. “The first was on the last day before he leaves to Japan.”

            Nichkhun looks to the side for a second then back at Taeyeon. He lifts his left hand up and glides a strand of her hair to the side. “You look really pretty in this outfit.” He commented. “We should get going, I don’t want to miss a time and day like this standing here.”

            Taeyeon gets inside the car. Nichkhun joins her. Kangin and Hyoyeon take the second vehicle behind. The cars begin moving. Nichkhun looks to his left and sees Taeyeon looking anxious and worries by how tightly her hands are tightly together. He places his left hand over hers with his eyes looking forward at the road. She looks at him.

            “How’s father condition. How did you and teacher manage to escape the eyes of the spies?” He asked.

            “You knew?”

            With calm face, he looks at her. “I knew.”

            “Then why did you act like you did not care when I told you about it?”

            “Because I wanted a different answer… because I’m waiting for you to tell me something else then what I already know.”            

            Taeyeon looks away from his gentle eyes. Nichkhun sighed. He lowers his face and stops an inch away from touching her soft cheek. “If you don’t answer me then I will kiss.”

            “You!” Taeyeon turns her head in shock and realizes how close he is to touch her lips. She nervously gulps and feels her heart beats nervously fast. His eye looks charmingly into hers with soft smiles.

            “Tell me, how did you and teacher manage to get to Kimch’on?” He asked again.

            Taeyeon looks into his round and calm eyes that fill with determination and arrogant, she surrenders. “Teacher Yoo and I took a separate way out of Seoul to meet at the train station Suwon. On my way to Suwon, I was followed by four men. I couldn’t identify who they were, all I had in mind was to get to Suwon. I missed the trained and lost touch with teacher Yoo, so I had to take another route to Ch’onan station. I don’t know how I escape the spies, the only thing in my mind was to get to Kimch’on… to you.” Her voice sudden get lower and softer each word, especially the last word. Nichkhun was please with her truthful answer and smile. He rests his back against the seat. “I answer your question. Now you answer mine.” Said Taeyeon, anxiously looking at him.

            The cars stop. The soldiers run up to the cars and open the doors.  “We’re here.” He said before he exits the car from his side.

            Taeyeon sighed and leave the car. The soldiers salute to Nichkhun as he walks up to the table hunting rifles.

            “You said this will be a walk, not hunting.” Said Taeyeon, standing beside.

            “I did.” Said Nichkhun, picking up the full black rifle from the table. “Since it’s will be my last day here, I might as well enjoy before I go back to Seoul with you.”

            Taeyeon was astounded by his answer. She was unsure if she’s either happy or relieves.

            “You and Hyoyeon take the route on the right if you want to go for a walk. If you are hungry or thirsty, I have people set up a table for you to sit and enjoy the nature and makes you some snack.” Said Nichkhun. Before she turns and leaves with Hyoyeon, he wraps his right arm around her waist and pulls her closer to him. “Happy?”

            Taeyeon was once again shocked by his action. She shyly looks away. Kangin, standing behind Nichkhun, jealously and uncomfortably look away. Nichkhun lowers his head and plant a kiss on her left cheek before letting go of her. It startles her. Taeyeon was speechless as she stands and watches him take the left route with Wooyoung, Junho, and Kangin. All the men are far out of sight now. Hyoyeon walks up to Taeyeon and stands beside her with a big smile.

            “What’s the matter? Miss him already?” Said Hyoyeon, teasingly.

            Taeyeon nervously looks away, “No.”

            “Don’t lie.” Said Hyoyeon, trying to read Taeyeon’s mind through her eyes. “The way you look at him is slowly changing. Your view of him is slowly changing.”

            Taeyeon ignores her and walks to the table that was set up by Nichkhun’s people. The maid brings the tray with a pot of tea and three small tea cups. She places it on the table then went back what she was during at the other table.

            “You’re trying too hard to hide it.” Said Hyoyeon as she takes a sit on another chair at the table. She sighed as she looks at the sky, “Is your heart still facing Kangin?” she asked.

Taeyeon uncomfortably and sadly looks at the table. “He and I are the past.”

“But from what I see, you still have feeling for him and he has feeling for you.” Said Hyoyeon. “And if Nichkhun know about you two, Kangin will not be safe in the Lee’s family.”

             After what Hyoyeon said, Taeyeon becomes more worries especially the safety of Kangin.

[In the forest of the mountain hunting….]

            Quietly walking in the forest as their rifles in arms ready to fires at anymore. Nichkhun looks and signals his men with his right two fingers gesture. The soldiers quickly went to the standby horses that’s tie to the trees ready to be used. The two soldiers ride the horse along the route and open fires in the air. The shock Phasianus colchicus birds fly out from their hideout. Nichkhun fire the first bullet follow by Kangin, Wooyoung, and Junho. The hunting begins as they pick up the speed and fires endless bullets at the birds flying in the sky. One by one falls lifeless to the ground. The sound of gun fires startles Taeyeon. She turns and looks the left route. The sounds of bird squealing every time a bullet fired.

            Jaesuk steps out of the car and looks to his left before he walks up to Taeyeon and Hyoyeon. “He’s hunting?” he asked.

            Taeyeon and Hyoyeon respectfully bow to Jaesuk.

“Teacher Yoo.” Taeyeon greeted him. She pours him a cup of tea.

“Teacher Yoo, it nice to finally meet you.” Said Hyoyeon, happily. “I heard a lot of great things about you. Meeting you in person is an honor.”

Jaesuk smiles. “Thank you for such kind words. It’s nice to meet you too. You must be Lawyer Jo’s student.” He said. Hyoyeon lightly nod. “Please tell him I say hi for me. Also, tell him that I’m sorry I’m unable to visit him.”

“He will understand.” Said Hyoyeon.

Another gun fires echo loudly. Taeyeon feels her heart is about to jump out of her chest. Jaesuk notices how worries Taeyeon is. He grabs the pot holder and pours tea into Taeyeon’s cup.

            “This mountain is beautiful. Sadly, only one-third of the mountain belongs to Nichkhun.” Said Jaesuk before he takes a sip from the teacup. “A cup of tea and enjoy the beautiful view of Kimch’on city. Enjoy what god has given us.”

            “Teacher Yoo, you seem sound very scholarly with wide knowledge in poetry.” Hyoyeon asked.

            Jaesuk put the cup down and smiles as he looks at Hyoyeon. “During my free time, I write poems. I enjoy writing poems about the nature and what I see in life. Nichkhun is also excellent in poems.” He said as he looks at her than at Taeyeon. “Taeyeon, is there something bothering you?” He asked.

            Taeyeon shakes her head ‘no’.

            “Are you worry about Nichkhun?” Jaesuk asked.

            Taeyeon avoid his eyes and unable to answer his question, she looks down at the table. She can’t tell him that she’s worry about another man. He’s Nichkhun teacher. She worries that if she open , it would not be Nichkhun, but Kangin instead. Hyoyeon nervously looks at Taeyeon, praying quietly Taeyeon will not say anything about her past with Kangin.

            “Teacher!” Nichkhun called out loudly as he walks up to them with other follows closely behind.

            The worry Taeyeon immediately turn around and look pass Nichkhun. She sees Kangin walking with a rifle in his right hand and uninjured. From her worries eyes, Nichkhun knew who Taeyeon was looking at.

            “How was hunting?” Jaesuk asked.

            The maid brought more chairs. One soldier carries a table over and connects with the table that is in use. Nichkhun takes a seat beside Taeyeon and drinks from her cup. Kangin glance at it and knew what Nichkhun was trying to do.

            “It was fun.” Said Nichkhun with a smile.

            “Third master is a great shooter. The number of birds he shots were double the numbers that Major Lee and I shot. Mr. Kim is also a not bad himself.” Said Wooyoung.

            “Such kind words that I can’t except.” Said Kangin with smiles.

            “You must be Kim Kangin that Seung-gi has sent here to assist Nichkhun.” Said Jaesuk.

            “Yes, teacher Yoo. But it seems like I have a lot more to learn from third master.” Said Kangin.

            “I heard you just got back from Japan and immediately join the Lee’s family. May I ask the reason why you make this decision? There’s the Choi family in the North. The Hwang in the South.” Said Jaesuk, carefully observing Kangin. “The mighty Choi is well-known to win countless of war. Choi Siwon and Choi Minho are the fearless leaders that brought have victory and make greater than before.”

            “Indeed, the Choi family are great, but I feel my knowledge is not enough for them. The youngest master of the Choi is competitive and only focus in winning the war and not the people. The older son of the family is very ambitious of those around him.” Said Kangin, calmly. “The Hwang’s family has only one son, Chansung. He is young talent general that match his father name. However, Marshal Hwang brought home more victorious and land to their territory than the son.”

Nichkhun mildly to mediumly slam the cup of tea down on the table. It startles everyone at the table. “It seems like you have eyes on the Lee’s family since the beginning.” He said as he looks at Kangin with sharp eyes. “If so, the Lee’s family need a talented man like you to bring peace to the world. If you don’t mind being a Major of my division and work under me as the second-in-command.”

            Kangin lightly bows, “Thank you third master. I will do my best and will not disappoint you.” He said.

            Hyoyeon glance at Taeyeon with a pair of worries eyes. Taeyeon tries to remain calm and grab the pot handle. She pours more teas into Jaesuk and her cup.

            “Please excuse me for a moment. I would like to observe the view myself.” Said Taeyeon before she stands, bow to Jaesuk, and walks away from the table.

            Nichkhun, drinking the tea, watches her from the corner of his eyes and caught Kangin watching her walks away from the table. The maids walk to the tables with a couple of lovely plates prep half an hour ago. They place it carefully on the table before went to grab for things. Once the tables are filled with pleasant meals and wines. Everyone begins to eat. Nichkhun glance at Taeyeon’s spot before he picks up his chopstick and begins eating.

            Kangin put the glass of wine down, “I need to use a break. Excuse me.” He said before he stands and leaves the table.

            Nichkhun put his chopstick down on the table while the rest continues to eat. Hyoyeon glance at Nichkhun and knew that he’s suspicious of both Taeyeon and Kangin.

            Kangin walks to the opposite side of where the group is, a little further away, he sees Taeyeon standing under the big tree and looking the green plain in front of her.

            “Aren’t you hungry?” Kangin asked as he walks up to her.

            Without turning to see who it was, “No.” She answered in a blunt tone.

            Kangin takes a look at the where the group is and see them still enjoying the meals before he continues to speak. “What are you looking at? Nothing can be compared against the beautiful light blue sky.”

            “I’m not looking at the sky. I’m looking at the green field that grows well in the Summer.” Said Taeyeon, emotionlessly.

            Nichkhun, standing behind the tree that’s ten feet back, watches and listen carefully.

            “The city of Seoul is also green.”

            “I’m observing the green field of Kimch’on, not Seoul.”

            Kangin sighed. “Do you miss the soft green grass of Chonju?”

            “I miss it from time to time.”

            “I do too. Not one day have I stop thinking about Chonju. The smell of the newly flower blossom in the Spring in Chonju.”           

            Taeyeon turns and face him. “Why did you come back? Why did you join the Lee’s army?” She asked, curiously.

            “What if I tell I came back for you? Would you believe me?” He questioned as he looks at her with sincere. Her unchanged curious still beams at him as she waits for an explanation. “If I tell you the imperial family secretly planning something to go against the country and the Lee’s family, would you believe me?”

“Believe you or not. Since the day I met you, I can tell whether you are telling me the truth or not.”

            “If you believe me, everything I tell is the trust. Even if it a lie, I will prove to you that it’s the truth. I will not lie to the woman I love.”

            “These words… you can win other girls mind and trust. Please excuse me.” Said Taeyeon before she walks away.

            With his arms cross, Nichkhun carefully thinks of the words Kangin has said to Taeyeon and their past relationship before she entered the Lee’s family.

            Major Jang hurriedly walks up to Nichkhun, “General, we receive a call from the Lee’s resident in Seoul. First Madam say that there was a second assassination attempt on Marshal Lee.”

            Nichkhun’s eyes widen in shock. He hurriedly back to the group with Major Jang. He heard a branch crack and stop his feet. Glancing to the side where a shadow hides behind a bush not too far from the table, Nichkhun quickly pull out his gun and fires a bullet toward the shadow. Everyone stop and jump to their feet. A bullet flies toward Nichkhun from behind. Nichkhun quickly duck and pull the trigger again, killing another spy. Kangin, Major Jang and Lee quick pull out their guns and points at the forest. Kangin heard multiple branches about twenty feet away, he fires a bullet at the sound of the footstep. The body falls to the ground. A fire was fired and hit the table where Taeyeon was standing. Nichkhun quickly walks up to the frighten Taeyeon and stand in front her, guarding her from the spies. Nichkhun looks at Junho and signal with his eyes. Junho nod and march forward to the dead body. Soon Nichkhun’s soldier run up to aide and guard him and others from the enemy. Junho return with a rifle in his hand and hand it to Nichkhun.

            Kangin takes a look at the rifle and recognized it. “I’ve seen the rifle before...”

            Nichkhun knew what Kangin wanted to say before he handed the rifle back to Junho. “It made look like the rifle that Seung-gi’s people use, doesn’t it is his people. The rifle could be fake.” He said before Kangin can finish what he was going to say.

            “They are persistent this time. First, Marshal Lee. Next is you.” Said Jaesuk as he looks worriedly at Nichkhun. “There’s someone with power and authority behind all of this. Our way back to Seoul will be difficult.”

            “There’s someone that will be able to help us. She will definitely help me.” Said Nichkhun as he looks at Taeyeon.

            Taeyeon knew he was talking.

 

To be continued……………….