Chapter 2

I’m Glad I Loved You

The news

~~~~~

Once she was done preparing the food, Yejin called the boys before she walked up to her granddaughter’s room.

As Yejin opened the door, Soomin turned around to see who was at her doorway. At the sight of her grandmother, Soomin smiled and skipped to her and hooked her arm around hers. When they arrived at the dining room, there were already two men eating in silence. Soomin sighed as she helped her grandmother sit down then went on the other side to take her own sit. Since no other talked, she started to dig in. However, her father suddenly deposed his chopsticks and gave a glanced at the oldest man in the room. He nodded and both of them called her.

Soomin lifted her head up, staring at the two men who pronounced her name in perfect synchronisation. She couldn’t help but let out a small giggle.

“Neh?”

“The three of us have thought for a while…” her father started. He had an expression she couldn’t really read. He seemed serious, but concern as well. Her smile slowly disappeared as thoughts came in her head. *He isn’t going to announce that he’s getting married, is he?* she looked on the side at her grandmother who was still eating, ignoring the conversation. “We thought that maybe you could go to Korea and—”

“Korea?” she cut him and hardly swallowed.

There was a silence until she spoke again.

“When am I leaving?”

“Next week” her father replied, as he avoided her eyes.

“Araso” she nodded and stood up “I’m done eating”

“Soomin—” her father worried called her name.

“I’m fine, appa. Don’t worry” she assured him with a fake smile, although it was obvious. “At least I’m coming back for university, right?”

“Ah, n-neh, if you want to”

Soomin walked to her room without saying any words, leaving her three relatives alone at the dining table. Once she reached there, she couldn’t hold it anymore. A tear fell as she opened her door. She looked up to see her mother’s picture. She took the frame and hugged it tightly.

“6 years already…” She whispered as she took another look at the woman in the picture.

 


“Don’t you think it’s too early?” Bongho asked.

“Your daughter’s already 18” the oldest man of the family replied “Beside, she can take care of herself really well” he sternly stated.

“Jaeyeol” Yejin finally spoke up “You know she didn’t have a good memory from Korea” she frowned looking at her husband in a disappointed way.

“It happened 6 years ago” he replied back “Bongho seems to have moved on too” he said as he pointed his son who seemed to have become more quiet than usual.

“I’m done eating” Bongho suddenly stood up and walked to his room.

Now only the two elders were left in the room. Yejin shook her head and finished her meal. After his son left, Jaeyeol felt guilty to have said those words. He played with his food until Yejin softly hit his hand, giving him a warning glare.

 


The week passed by quickly and Soomin was already waiting at the airport with her luggage. She let out a small sight before turning around to her family. She gave them the brightest smile she could before hugging her grandmother.

“Have a safe trip” her grandmother said as she patted the hair of the young latter. Soomin nodded and sweetly smiled to the two men who were just standing there awkwardly waiting for their hugs too.

Once the goodbyes were done, Soomin walked alone past through the doors. Her adventure in Korea was going to start in few hours now.