pondering

ultimately
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunggyu didn't really believe in love.

Of course love existed. He's seen it in movies, on the streets, in his sister's wedding and every day of his childhood life when his parents found each other's hands over the table and laughed with sparkle in their eyes, looking at each other.

That is, until they got divorced.

Maybe it was that what made him stand on the sceptical side, as he hadn't yet experienced such emotion towards anyone-- at least not in the romantic way. But it was alright, he didn't believe he was missing much, he knew there were always different ways to find happiness that didn't involve love.

He lived 27 years of his life thinking this way, content with his lifestyle: he'd work on the morning, sometimes meet his (dumb) friends on the afternoon and always giving himself some time for himself. That didn't involve in the darkness of his room (most of the times) but watching something he liked, turning on Netflix or even starting yet again a fascinating book. Most would find his routine a boring one, but for him, it was right what he needed.

That is, until he met Woohyun.

Because Sunggyu never gave himself the time to question his uality, he thought he was very much straight. He found some girls pretty, some other y, but he wasn't interested nonetheless. No one in his family found it weird that Sunggyu had never brought anyone home, even his friends settle down with his excuse, saying he hasn't found anyone that fascinating. Until he did, and he found out he was not as straight as he figured he was.

It happened on a Monday.

Someone from Japan had arrived, something about making an important deal that'd place Sunggyu's company into the worldwide business map. It was an important step and everyone had been quite edgy that day. His boss was constantly walking in circles inside his office, waiting for the final decision from the upper department.

It made Sunggyu even more nervous, even though he was sure his position wasn't at stake and everything would be alright, because although he wasn't a very positive person, he knew his company was a good one. That, or he was just too uninterested in the matter.

So, to not make things worse for himself or his department, he went down to the nearby coffee shop to treat everyone a cup of coffee. He was on the line, checking on the board to see what would be better to buy, and concluded on an Americano, the safe option.

The line moved as a customer finished paying their order, and he was about to step ahead when a guy got into the line just before him. The man was looking down at his phone and Sunggyu frowned at that.

"Uh," He said, tapping on the stranger's shoulder. "you got into the line."

The other male turned around slightly then went back to looking down at his phone. Sunggyu, angry, was about to tap on his shoulder again, but the stranger looked back a second time, now, startled.

He looked at Sunggyu with confusion, and mutter a puzzled, "yes?"

Sunggyu had now the chance to look at the man's features a bit more and a bit closely. His eyes looked cute when startled, like two round plates. The ends of his hair poking his eyelashes ever so slightly, and his mouth parted away, giving the perfect chance for an insect to fly in.

His heart started doing a weird thing just then.

Boom. Boom. Boom.

With the best serious tone Sunggyu could use, he repeated, "You got into the line. I was next."

The message took a bit to process for the man, almost three complete seconds to understand what Sunggyu was trying to say. "Oh!" He exclaimed in surprise, now stepping aside. "I'm so sorry."

Now that the man had said more than just a word, Sunggyu finally heard the accent. He wasn't Korean, but he very much looked like one. Sunggyu didn't really feel like talking more, so he just nodded slightly and walk ahead, the man now positioning behind him.

They didn't say anything to each other as they waited in line, and those two minutes felt like two hours for Sunggyu. His hands started sweating and he didn't understand why was he getting so anxious to walk outside the coffee shop in that very moment, or why did he not stop thinking about the man, almost feeling the stare at the back of his scalp.

Sunggyu asked for the eight Americanos and paid with credit card, thanking the cashier and moving to a wall and wait for his order. He looked at the ceiling and managed counting 'till 30 before the man was also finished and making his way towards Sunggyu. Or the table where they would receive their coffees.

His order was delivered at the same time as the man's, and he was able to see the other had asked for two cups of coffee, while he had his two baskets full with the eight cups. Sunggyu turned around to the entrance door, and was about to push his elbow against the door when it opened by itself.

Or by the back of the hand from the man that was now standing right behind him.

"Uh," the other said, and Sunggyu turned around slightly to give him a thankful little bow that would hopefully hide his slight blush and walk outside. But the man had other plans, it seemed. "hey"

Sunggyu didn't want to believe it was meant for him, but he turned around nonetheless. The man was indeed looking at him and also, offering him the other coffee. Both looked down at Sunggyu's full hands, and the man chuckled.

"I-uh, I bought you a coffee, for what I did before. But-uh, it seems like you have enough." Sunggyu caught on the accent yet again, and found himself getting amazed and blushed by what the man said. He wanted to say something, maybe grab the cup, but what the other did wasn't that bad to buy an extra coffee.

"I could-uh, maybe--" he tried maneuvering the baskets in his hands but it looked like he would spill something if he tried holding both with one hand. The man laughed and Sunggyu looked back up.

"I can walk with you to your office, if that's alright?"

No, Sunggyu thought, that's not alright. Here he was counting the seconds until he wou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter