... and an annoyance

Persistence is a Virtue

“I love you.” Eunhyuk whispered against his ear randomly as they were busy creaming their enemies.

“What the?!” Yesung muttered, his face crunched up from confusion.

“Yesung! Be careful!” Kyuhyun scolded and Yesung immediately shifted his attention back on the game but even the scary, y Kyuhyun when it comes to videogames and winning could not pave off what Eunhyuk just said to him.

 

It has just been four months since the beginning of classes, the start of making friends, and getting acquainted with actually everybody and everything that Yesung found himself an annoying ‘suitor’, quotation marks on the word for the reason that Eunhyuk is actually seeing someone already and yet he openly tells and shows his affection towards Yesung.

 

Yesung doesn’t like it, the fact that they are both men and even if society is open about it and found Eunhyuk’s behavior towards him amusing.

 

Yesung doesn’t like being told that he is liked by someone, he prefers to be the one who likes the other for the reason that whenever someone confesses to him, he’d begin to see the person in a different light and he’d begin to like the other person too. But Yesung usually realizes it late and the chances for something special to happen never happen. And so when he found a persistent being in the person of Eunhyuk, he found himself in a quicksand.

 

*~*~*~*~*

“Stop staring at me!” Eunhyuk exclaimed when his and Yesung’s eyes met for just a second.

“What the…?!” Yesung exclaimed. “Since when have I been staring at you?” Yesung was getting edgy.

Eunhyuk walked towards Yesung and his friends’ table at the cafeteria and went behind him, Yesung was getting nervous and annoyed at the same time.

“Stop staring at me Yesungie.” Eunhyuk said again as he held a tight grip on Yesung’s shoulders.

“Who’s staring?”

 

Seriously, it’s just been months since we knew each other and you’re acting all feely-touchy and close and what’s making it worse my friends aren’t being helpfulYesung thought as his brows knit.

 

“Stop staring, you can’t get me through that, that’s useless because I’ve already been yours to begin with.”

And Yesung hears his friends squeal and laugh, and he, himself, can’t help but laugh at the cheesiness of Eunhyuk’s line.

 

*~*~*~*~*

“Hey, Eunhyuk,” Heechul called after squabbling with Yesung for a few minutes, fighting over stupid, useless things. Eunhyuk came over their table. “Yesung said he’ll do you just now.”

Eunhyuk and Heechul laughed. “Now? not in the library.” Eunhyuk said with a laugh, riding on Heechul’s joke.

“Oh my god, it’s Heechul who actually wants to do it.” Yesung said while he pokes Heechul’s side with much pressure and before Eunhyuk left, he stopped to pinch Yesung’s cheek.

 

As Eunhyuk went away, Heechul whispered, “I wonder if you guys end up together.”

Yesung made a face against Heechul.

“Good luck.” Heechul said in a sarcastic and a sort of ‘condolences to you’ manner.

“I know right.” Yesung countered nonchalantly but at the back of his mind Yesung had been actually contemplating that ‘what if’ countless times and numerous times he told himself ‘I’ll just use his friendliness to my benefit’.

 

Yesung wished he’d have someone to talk to about this new problem, usually it was always him who crushes on someone, him who take glances at the person he likes, him who semi-stalks the person that caught his eyes and not the other way around. It would’ve been fine if Eunhyuk had just said it once but to have said or showed it almost every day they see each other… now, if only Eunhyuk wasn’t already dating someone, he’d probably resign to Eunhyuk’s persistence.  

 

*~*~*~*~*

 Everyone sighed with relief when they realized they just survived the first year in university. Everyone became jittery and started animatedly planning for their vacation. Over the year, people found friends, a special someone and even people they hate and Yesung was surprised he survived one school year of ‘I like you’ harassment.

 

Heechul, Kyuhyun and Yesung were at their usual internet café playing games until Yesung suddenly made a confession.

“Hey, would you think I’m the biggest loser ever if I say Eunhyuk’s rubbed in on me, finally?”

Heechul and Kyuhyun looked at him momentarily. Then there was silence and only the FX sounds from the countless games and chattering from the other cubicles were heard.

“Well… he’s an okay guy all together. I mean he’s overly friendly.” Kyuhyun nonchalantly commented.

“You’re going to be the mistress or something, you know.” Heechul off-handedly said.

“It’s not like I’m gonna go confess to him.” Yesung rolled his eyes.

Then more FX sounds and chattering filled in the silence between friends until… all three of them shouted for victory, they won the team battle.

 

Kyuhyun glided his chair next to Yesung’s after logging off the game. “So what you gonna do about your other crushes now, does that mean I can have them?” his eyes gleamed with pleasure.

“, Kyu even if we’re actually sharing them virtually just because I’ve come to peace with my own feelings for Eunhyuk doesn’t mean I’m giving up on them!”

Kyuhyun laughed and draped an arm over Yesung’s shoulder. “Can’t be helped that you’d like someone just by being confessed to.”

“Yeah, we were actually wondering when you’d give in. I mean the guy is persistent.” Heechul said.

“ you both.” muttered Yesung. “But since the year’s over, we won’t be seeing each other anytime soon, I’ll probably get over him by then.”

“Really, Yesung our thumbs up to him.” Heechul said with a grin.

“Again, you both.”

And Heechul and Kyuhyun laughed.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 “Yo, Yesung!” Eunhyuk called. Yesung was leisurely strolling at the park, he had nothing better to do, his friends apparently found themselves something and some place to go to leaving him alone.

“Oh, Eunhyuk,” Yesung mumbled as he grinds and swallows the last piece of cake. “What’s up?”

Ah, so I still like him. Yesung said to himself when he realized his heart beat skipping beats faster than usual and how he actually liked seeing Eunhyuk again which never happened before.

“My birthday’s coming up soon, let’s have lunch date by then, okay?”

“Eunhyuk, don’t you have a lover to do that and whatever comes next with?” Yesung said casually. “Besides, I’ll be busy next week, we’ll be going out of town.” Yesung lied.

“Really? That’s too bad, take care okay?” Eunhyuk said and never fails to pinch Yesung’s cheek before leaving and with the countless times that this has happened Yesung instinctively flinch away.

Eunhyuk laughed. “Oh how much I miss this! Bye!” and he gave Yesung a tight hug before really leaving.

 

! Stop being nice to me Eunhyuk, you’ll do both of us a favor if you do that. Yesung thought bitterly.

 

*~*~*~*~*

“So how’s your crush with our Eunhyuk?” Heechul asked as the three of them lazed under one of the trees in the courtyard. It was already the start of a brand new school year.

“I wish he’d stop telling the world that he likes me, I just realized how inconvenient it is.”

“Sorry about that.” Eunhyuk’s voice suddenly came and all three of them jolted up with Yesung’s eyes wider than the other two.

“Well… I mean, thank you for feeling that way, for actually feeling that way for someone like me but Eunhyuk, with you announcing your feelings and actually claiming ownership, even if we know it’s just for fun, people who’re actually might be interested in me might misinterpret you.”

Heechul and Kyuhyun stifled their laughter and motioned to move when they saw Yesung’s eyes shooting daggers at them.

 

“And since we’re already at this point of being honest anyway, might as well tell you,” Yesung continued as he stood up. “I don’t like you telling me and showing me you like me when you already have someone. Just because your lover isn’t in the university doesn’t mean you can fool around. And I don’t dislike the fact that you have a crush on someone, even Heechul who already has Hankyung is crushing on loads of people but…”

Yesung let out a deep sigh.

Here goes nothing he thought, “I don’t like the fact that despite how much I tell myself that I’m just riding on with your games… I’ve actually formed a crush on you. I’m sorry, I know you said that not to mind your silly antics but you see Eunhyuk, I’m the type of person who’d either like someone who can’t be mine or fall for someone because they tell me they like me… and you just.. went over it.” Yesung finished his speech with putting his hand over his head.

 

Heechul and Kyuhyun were at the sidelines cheering for him somehow. They heard the university bell rings.

“Yeah, that’s all I’m going to say. So bye.”

And as Yesung was about to leave Eunhyuk grabbed one of his wrists.

“I’ve been single for quite some time now, thought I should tell you.” Eunhyuk calmly said.

“What?!” Heechul, Kyuhyun and Yesung exclaimed. But Yesung easily recovered.

“If I was the reason for the break up and I’m not assuming things, you can’t win me over.”

“Thought you’d say that but no you’re not. I really like you, Yesung. I wouldn’t shout it out in the parade if I didn’t.”

“He yelled that out during the parade?!” exclaimed Heechul.

“And the afternoon after that he was with his lover.” Yesung rolled his eyes.

Eunhyuk stuck out his tongue, Yesung raised a brow onto him and shook himself free.

“Sorry Hyukkie, but I ain’t that easy to get even if I did confess.” Yesung said as he shook a finger with an attitude and walked towards the school building first.

“Well, guess it’s back to square one.” Eunhyuk muttered.

He felt a heavy pat against his right shoulder. “Look at the bright side, everything will be smooth and legal from here on.” Kyuhyun said.

“Though you’ve been friend zone-ified again.” Heechul said on the other side.

 

Hey, Eunhyuk I wonder, will I be immunized from your  ‘I like you’s and childish or cheesy actions? Because even then, if I wasn’t so dead set on being cold I would’ve smiled from ear to ear when I learned that this time… when I finally let myself fall for someone, I ended up being caught and not land on the ground hurting again. Persistence is a virtue, I guess. 

 

THE END.