teller tale

The Secret Service

Her ears were ringing from the explosion but Bomi regained her consciousness quickly, reminded that she is on her first mission as a Secret Service agent. She did not want to disappoint. Quickly on her feet, Chorong was already taking cover and attacking incoming enemies that were charging into the kitchen.

 

Bomi quickly took one of the guns of her fallen enemies and followed her. She was still amazed at how quick Chorong was. Indeed, she isn’t called leader for nothing.

 

“You alright?” Chorong asked, as she reloaded her gun, having stolen it from her fallen enemies.

 

“Yeah, just a little dizzy from the explosion. Thanks for saving me.”

 

“No need. It happens all the time.” She peeked through the wall, noticing more men charging in. “Guess we have to go for Plan B now. Search his body and see if you can find anything. I’ll cover you.”

 

“Got that.”

 

Bomi nodded as she crawled over to Shindong’s destroyed corpse. As much as she hated witnessing the bloody gore in front of her, she had to focus and find any sort of evidence linked to Blue Nation.

 

But the explosion destroyed everything. There was nothing left.

 

“Dammit. I’ve got nothing unnie!” Bomi exasperated, frustrated that the mission was going nowhere. Her team were now like sitting ducks waiting to get fried.

 

“Everyone. Abort mission. We’re going for Plan B.” Chorong said, sending a message via the earbuds that all the members were wearing. “Round up at the garden. Bomi and I will be there in 10 minutes.”

 

“No one is replying though…” Bomi said with worry, picking up a piece of cloth that was torn from Shindong.

 

“Doesn’t matter. We have to get out of here. Hayoung, are you there?”

 

There was no reply.

 

“Hayoung, reply me!”

 

A buzz.

 

“There is an escape route leading to the garden if you walk past the cooking station. There should be a backdoor. That’s your only option. Namjoo unnie and I are going to rescue Eunji and Naeun unnie first. See you on the other side.” Hayoung replied, before the radio buzzed off.

 

“Backdoor. Okay, let’s go.” Bomi said, getting ready her weapon as the duo charged forward.

 

 

---

 

Hiding in the bushes, Eunji and Naeun were lucky. After leaping over the window, the couple managed to land into the vast garden, protected by layers of soft grass and soil. For once, they thanked mother nature.

 

As enemies overlooked from below, they waited until they were gone.

 

“Okay, coast is clear. My turn to follow your lead now.” Eunji whispered. “After all, you’re good at these stealth things.”

 

“Oh please.” Naeun rolled her eyes. 

 

The couple carefully sneaked past a gazebo, hiding among the shadows as they took advantage of the tall building and balconies. Making use of the various bushes scattered around the garden, it became the perfect camouflage. Arriving at the fence at the other side, the couple were close to the exit which was supposed to be meet up point that they had discussed earlier.

 

Clearly, they were not listening into the radio.

 

“Where the hell are they?!” Eunji looked around but there was no sign of the van.

 

“Get down!” Naeun whispered as the two dived into the ground, hiding into the bushes once again as the men caught up. They were now searching the garden and it wouldn’t take long before their hiding spot would be exposed.

 

“There’s five men. I can easily take them down.” Eunji whispered confidently.

 

“Don’t you dare make a move. You have to stay put.”

 

“Alright, alright. I’ll listen to the stealth expert.”

 

The duo held their breath as the men walked nearer to their hiding spot. Eunji was ready to fight, set on jumping and punching straight into their face. But instead, a bullet shot through the man’s head as he collapsed onto the ground.

 

“What was that?!” One of the men said, confused as they began changing their direction.

 

There was no sign of anyone but bullets kept firing through.

 

“Over there! Sniper!” Another yelled, pointing at something moving among the bushy hills.

 

All of a sudden, a van busted through the fence, crashing straight into the remaining men as they died upon impact.

 

“Get in!” Hayoung said as she rolled down the window.

 

“You don’t have your driver’s license yet! Let me drive!” Eunji exclaimed.

 

“No time! Just get on, it’s just a straight road down ahead.”

 

Eunji exasperated.

 

“Fine!” The couple got into the van as Hayoung changed to the reverse gear, stepping onto the pedal. The van suddenly jerked backwards, almost crashing onto the other side as it skidded 90 degrees, before dashing off onto the hills where Namjoo was hiding.

 

“Oh god, you’re a terrible driver!” Eunji said, holding onto the rail tightly.

 

“I’m getting dizzy!” Naeun complained.

 

“Just hold on!” Hayoung shouted, only knowing the controls from a video game.

 

 

---

 

 

They were this close to the backdoor. But there were just too many enemies in the kitchen. Grabbing onto an eraser that she hid in her “purse”, Bomi pressed the tip and tossed it to the other side.

 

“Cover your ears unnie!”

 

The eraser exploded, causing bodies to fly across. This was their chance to escape. As the duo ran out into the garden, they spotted their van that was driving crazily on the road.

 

Hayoung spotted the two and immediately stepped onto the accelerator again, climbing down from the hill as it jumped across, causing the van to fly into the air.

 

“What the hell are you doooing?!!!” Eunji yelled as everyone in the van held onto the rail tightly, bracing for impact. The vehicle soon bounced onto the ground, barely making it through.

 

“Argh! Okay, made it!” Hayoung shouted in victory as Chorong and Bomi jumped inside. As the girl stepped onto the accelerator again, the rollercoaster car began as the van viciously skidded across the road and speed downhill.

 

Once the team managed to get far away from the Grand House, the first thing they did was to kick Hayoung out from the driver’s seat, otherwise the whole team would get sick. Chorong took over as they drove to a nearby inn for recuperation.

 

“Who the hell allowed you to drive anyway?!” Eunji scolded Hayoung whilst sending glares at Namjoo. “You’re supposed to drive, not her!” She pointed.

 

“Hey! If I wasn’t driving, I wouldn’t be able to take out those men for you!” Namjoo defended.

 

“I could handle them myself! It’s just five men!”

 

“Stop fighting. That won’t get us anywhere.” Chorong hissed, immediately halting the argument.

 

“This is all I got from Shindong’s body. Think you can get anything from it?” Bomi asked as she placed the piece of cloth onto the table.

 

“Let me look at it.” Hayoung took and analyzed the piece by comparing it with the data on her laptop. “The symbol on this sleeve, belongs to trading company in Morocco. Casablanca Tradings.”

 

“Guess that’s our next destination.” Eunji said impatiently, restless as she got up and gathered her weapons.

 

“Wait.” Chorong said with a sigh. “There’s something fishy about this. Shindong knew that we were coming. What if this is another trap?”

 

“She’s right.” Namjoo said in agreement. “I think we should head back to HQ first. I don’t feel good about this.”

 

“Me too.” Naeun said. “I feel like we’re just falling right into their trap.”

 

“Well, great.” Eunji said angrily, frustrated that the mission was going nowhere. “We wasted our time here for nothing!”

 

“Hey, lives were being risked! It is better to be safe than sorry!” Bomi said.

 

“Newbie, you shut up. You don’t have a say in any of this.” Eunji growled, pointing her finger at her. “It was already enough having you around.” She muttered, storming out of the room.

 

“I’ll go after her.” Naeun said, following Eunji.

 

“What’s her problem?” Bomi asked with a frown, confused yet offended.

 

“Don’t worry about that. Let’s just arrange flights back to Seoul for the time being.” Chorong sighed.

 

 

---

 

 

Alone in her hotel room as Bomi took a break, she observed the burn wounds on her palms.

 

It was just the beginning of her life as a Secret Service agent and she wasn’t sure if she could adapt to all this. Sure, the adrenaline of doing dangerous things brought her excitement but thinking about how she killed so many people in just one day, made her think a lot about her former days as a normal civilian who had nothing to do in life. She couldn’t help but to wonder why Eunji was so angry earlier and felt wrongly accused for no reason.

 

A knock on the door broke her thoughts apart.

 

“Come in.” Bomi said as she raised her head up, only to see Chorong entering her room. “Oh, it’s you.”

 

“Sorry. I didn’t have time to explain the whole situation. You must be confused.”

 

“No, I have an idea. Naeun told me briefly about it.”

 

“How much did she tell you?”

 

“Let’s see…something about how I am replacing someone who died during a mission and a particular person who is upset about it? I thought it would be a good idea to get to know everyone but I hadn’t got the time to talk to anyone properly yet.”

 

“Eunji has anger-management issues. Just don’t let it get to you. Sometimes, she doesn’t really mean it.”

 

“Noted.” Bomi nodded as she looked at Chorong. “What else should I know?”

 

“Are you sleeping soon?”

 

“Nope. Why?”

 

“Then, we have the whole night to talk about it.” Chorong said with a smile, as she sat next to Bomi.

 

For the first time, Bomi’s heart fluttered.

 

Her leader who always maintained a calm, strict expression finally loosened up and planted a beautiful smile on her face. Although she has seen her smile before, this one was different. It was like a flower that finally bloomed in season. Rare to come by, she wanted to see it more often.

 

Throughout the night, Bomi listened to Chorong and tried her best to pay attention. Although she would be easily distracted by the smallest things like Namjoo and Hayoung bickering next door or the sounds of crickets outside, she attempted to stay focus. Just by being with Chorong, she felt calm and comfortable. The anxiety she was experienced just moments ago, disappeared completely.

 

“I think that should be all. Should I test and see if you’ve been paying attention?” Chorong asked.

 

“Uh, sure! How about just a summarized version?”

 

“Alright. That works.”

 

“So Eunji is the best fighter in the team, she’s got anger management issues and gives you headaches.”

 

“Yes, but don’t tell Eunji about that last part.” Chorong chuckled.

 

“Then, Naeun is actually the daughter of the SS. Although her father passed away recently due to the incidents that unfolded, she has a lot of experience because she has been working in the field since she was young. She is a stealth specialist.”

 

Chorong nodded and looked at Bomi for her to continue, somewhat impressed that she has been getting the right points.

 

“Namjoo’s father was a Secret Service agent but he was killed in action. In order to take revenge, she trained very hard to follow his footsteps and found her talents as a marksman. She is the team’s sniper.” Bomi paused but continued after receiving another nod from Chorong. “Hayoung’s a special case. As an infant, she was found abandoned outside the SS building and the former head, Mr. Young decided to take her in. But Hayoung lacked combat skills. Her strength is her intelligence, a useful asset in producing weapons. In other words, the team’s firearms expert.”

 

“Then what about me?” Chorong asked.

 

“Uh…wait…” Bomi paused. “You didn’t tell me about yourself.”

 

“Well, I guess we shall wait another day for that. It’s getting late. Get some rest, we’re heading back to Seoul tomorrow.” Chorong chuckled as she left the room, leaving Bomi hanging.

 

“Wow, she wants to be Miss Mysterious huh? Alright, I like a woman with mysteries.” Bomi mumbled to herself as she got ready to bed, unconsciously finding herself smiling. Her heart was beating with excitement, the thought of spending hours talking to Chorong made her happy.

 

 

---

 

 

 

Upon arrival in Seoul, Chorong reported to HQ and met the newly elected leader for the first time. The rest of the members were ordered to return to base. Replacing Mr.Son is one of his former apprentices who has made quite a name for himself in the Secret Service. Having over 46 years of experience in the field, sitting in office is Mr. Lee Byung Hun.

 

“It is not your fault that the suspect decided to commit suicide by planting explosives on himself. It appears that it was all a trap set by the Blue Nation.” Byunghun said after hearing Chorong’s report. “For now, let your team rest and recuperate. I will notify you of your next mission. Daegu team are working closely with Busan team and we may soon find a link to Blue Nation. All we need is time. You are dismissed.”

 

“Thank you, sir.” Chorong said. “One of my members found this. It was the sleeve of the suspect before he died. The symbol belongs to a trading company in Morocco, known as Casablanca Tradings. But we believed that it could be another trap therefore we returned first.”

 

“I will ask the FBI to look further into this. Good job, Chorong-ssi.”

 

“I will take my leave now, sir.” The leader bowed and left the office.

 

She breathed the city air and sighed once again.

 

Looking at the busy streets as people continued their path without a care in the world, Chorong had wondered how different it would be if she just lived normally like everyone else. But she shook her head and decided that there was no point in thinking like that. What matters now is the safety of the country and The Secret Service. She wanted to track down Blue Nation soon and put an end to this.

 

Walking along the pathway outside her flower shop, she could hear a vase breaking. Immediately, she ran inside only to see Eunji and Bomi fighting among themselves. They were both in pretty bad shape, each bleeding from their heads and bruises all over their hands.

 

“Take this!” Bomi yelled, throwing a punch which Eunji easily dodged. It was clear that Eunji was on the stronger side, blocking Bomi as she kept delivering blows left and right.

 

“Is that all you got?” Eunji asked, unamused as she pinned Bomi onto the floor, sending another round of punches.

 

“Stop that right now.” Chorong scowled, her eyes sending laser beams of anger.

 

“You’re lucky, newbie.” Eunji scoffed, releasing her as she walked out, bumping her shoulder with Chorong.

 

The door slammed behind as the leader helped Bomi to stand up.

 

“Look at you.” She frowned. “Are you two kindergarten children or something? Please head downstairs and ask Naeun to patch you up.”

 

“Well, you weren’t lying when you said she is the best fighter in the team. Her punches hurt like .” Bomi chuckled, wiping the blood off her cheek. “Sorry, I’ll do something about that broken vase of yours.” She said, looking at the shattered pieces on the floor.

 

“Don’t bother. It’s all for decoration purposes anyway. I’ll go after Eunji.” Chorong sighed, her eyes filled with worry as she left the shop.

 

 

---

 

 

“Oh wow, look at you. Eunji gave you a whole beating huh?” Hayoung hummed, her eyes focused on a new tool she is working on. “It would be wise not to make her angry y’know, just saying.”

 

“Sorry we couldn’t help you out. This basement here is totally sound proof.” Namjoo said, as she was fixing her sniper rifle.

 

“It’s okay. I let her beat me up anyway.” Bomi chuckled. “And now I have Miss Pretty to patch me up.”

 

“And you shouldn’t let Eunji hear that too. She’ll be really furious.” Naeun smiled, putting a plaster on Bomi’s cheek.

 

“Why is that so?” Bomi asked, noticing the giggles from Namjoo and Hayoung as Naeun blushed.

 

“S-Shut up you two…” Naeun mumbled shyly.

 

“Well, we heard it from Yookyung and we’re good lads to keep this a secret anyway. So I’m guessing you would be a good lad too and keep it a secret right?” Namjoo winked, causing more curiousity to Bomi.

 

“Eunji and Naeun have a thing for each other.” Hayoung giggled, spilling the beans all over.

 

“OHHHHHHHH” Bomi nodded her head, understanding what it meant and later scanned Naeun from top to bottom. “Damn, that fire head sure is lucky. How do you even fall in love with her?

 

“Love is just weird.” Hayoung shrugged.

 

“Hey, I asked Naeun, not you.”

 

“Well, you already have your answer so hah.” Hayoung flashed a childish tongue to Bomi as the members giggled.

 

 

---

 

 

Chorong strolled along the Central Park, filled with green nature and families relaxing on a weekend. She knew that Eunji would come here. Their years of friendship proved that.

 

Noticing a girl crouched down as she petted a poodle that passed by, her bright laughter that filled the skies and that contagious eyesmile, it brought the edges of her lips to rise as well.

 

“Who’s a good boy? Aw, so cute!” Eunji squealed happily, waving goodbye to the poodle and its owner as she turned back, her smile quickly disappearing as Chorong stood in front of her.

 

“Care to talk?”

 

Seated together on a bench facing the river bay, the two each drank a can of beer as they observed the families enjoying their weekend on the opposite side. Children would run about, giggling away while dogs would race around the field, nothing but pure happiness. But on this side of the river, there was only a cold silence.

 

“Look, I’m not going to nag you or anything. But, I wish you’d stop behaving like a kid sometimes.”

 

“Guess you’re just unlucky to have me as your member.” Eunji chuckled, taking another sip from her beer can. “Sorry.” She said, noticing that Chorong was not having any of her jokes.

 

“Did you start the fight?”

 

“Bingo.”

 

Chorong sighed. “And you broke my vase.”

 

“Sorry.”

 

It was all she can say.

 

“Bomi didn’t do anything wrong. It’s me that is the problem. She just kept saying that Na-“ The girl cleared . “Never mind…”

 

“You don’t need to hide this from me anymore Eunji.” Chorong said, noticing her member’s hesitant movements. “In fact, I’ve been waiting for the right moment to tell you about this. But knowing you, it’s unpredictable.” She sighed. “But as the leader, I need to stop this from happening.”

 

Eunji’s eyes faltered anxiously. She had a bad feeling about this.

 

“You know that this isn’t allowed. I am sure that you are aware of the consequences, Eunji.”

 

“I-I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

“It’s about you and Naeun.”

 

 

--

 

A/N: Word of advice: Never let Oh Hayoung drive lol, Chorong has caught on to 2eun's secret! *plays dramatic music*