1.00

Substitute Personality

                                                       

"Jiwoo breakfast is ready." her mom yelled from the kitchen as she could hear footsteps coming down the stairs. She saw her daughter wearing her round framed glasses seated by the table in her school uniform.

"Big day today! Its the first day of school!" her mom said while placing the food on the table and gesturing her daughter to eat.

Jiwoo smiled seeing her mom being enthusiastic about the first day of school like she is every year.

"Eat up sweetie, can't learn on an empty stomach!"

"Mom there won't be any learning today. We'll be introduced to our classmates then each teacher will present the course outline for their subject. It happens every year." Jiwoo said as she started eating.

"Ah I see, well enjoy your first day then. Tell Yves I said hi." her mom said as she picked up the finished plates and put them on the sink.

"I'm heading out now." Jiwoo said as she put on her shoes.

"Alright sweetie good luck and get there safely." her mom waved at her as she exited the house.

Jiwoo put on her helmet and placed her bag in the front basket of her bicycle and started pedalling.

She placed her bicycle on the biker rack beside her school before entering.

Walking along the halls she can already hear that the classrooms were filled with students. She looked at the paper which indicated her class room and saw it was two rooms ahead. Jiwoo opened the door slightly to take a peak, her eyes scanning the room and stopped when they landed on her bestfriend Yves. 

She opened the door causing some students to look in her direction, she didn't mind them and just walked towards the empty seat near Yves. 

"Oh the class genius is here!" Jiwoo heard one of her classmates say as she sat down on the chair.

She didn't deny it, she was one of the smartest students in their batch and she feels happy when people call her a genius.

"Hey Jiwoo! I've missed you so much!" Yves hugged Jiwoo tightly and it looked like she was running out of air.

"Yeah, I missed you too. So how was your summer vacation?" Jiwoo asked.

"Well, America was a really fun place, so was Rome, Japan, Italy..."

"Yves, I get it, you had a wonderful summer." Jiwoo said while Yves chuckled.

"I didn't mean it to sound like that but what's done is done, how was your's by the way?"

"I just stayed at home for the summer."

"I really need to get you out of your house sometimes. It feels like your soul is attached to your home." Yves joked while Jiwoo gave her a nudge as the teacher walked in.

The students quickly sat in their own seats with all eyes on the teacher as he made his way onto the teacher's table.

"It's nice seeing you all once again, so did you all enjoy your summer?" the teacher said.

"Yes." the class said in unison.

"I'm glad to hear that. We'll be having two new students joining us this year. Please come in." all the students had their eyes focused on the door and were very disappointed to see who the first person was.

"Oh come on, you had our hopes up Kenta!" Yves said while glaring at the boy while the others also complained.

Kenta just snickered along with the teacher.

"Alright fine I guess jokes don't work the same way they used to but we do have a new student." Kenta pointed at the door as a another boy walked in looking slightly nervous as he made his way beside Kenta.

"Please introduce yourself." 

"Hi, I'm Kim Donghan, its a pleasure to meet you all." He gave out a small smile unintentionally captivating most of the girls in the class.

Jiwoo had her eyes fixated on the new student the whole time. She felt something unfamiliar to her, something she has never experienced before.

"Hello? Earth to Jiwoo? Hey!" Yves snapped her fingers in front of Jiwoo getting her back to reality.

"What happened?" 

"I didn't know you were capable of spacing out that long. It's already time for lunch dummy." Yves said as she grabbed Jiwoo's arm and dragged her to the cafeteria.

"Wait so I was spacing out for how long?" Jiwoo asked Yves while making their way to the table.

"Long enough for two teachers to present their outlines."

Jiwoo let out a sigh. What's wrong with me today?

"Your lucky none of them noticed that you weren't paying attention which is really isn't like you." 

Two students stood in front of their table and Yves gave a disappointed look once she saw who one of them was.

"Hello ladies, mind if me and my new friend over here share this table with you?" Kenta said while Donghan was standing beside him.

"As long as you don't say one of your lame jokes then sure why not." Yves said.

"I'm offended but thanks. There are a lot of students occupying the tables right now, we were lucky to find you two here."

Jiwoo was quiet throughout the entire time and focused on finishing her food. It was mostly Yves and Kenta bickering with each other that made her silence unnoticed.

They finished their food and headed back to their classroom. The day went on as teachers entered and left the room until it was time to go home.

"The first day is always the most boring day of school." Yves yawned and stretched out her arms and looked at Jiwoo who was spaced-out.

"Aish this girl." Yves was about to snap her back to reality but then saw who she was staring at. Yves then had one of those fan girl grins and started shaking Jiwoo.

"Ah I'm back I'm back stop shaking me." Jiwoo grabbed Yves to stop her.

"Come on, it's time to go home." Yves picked up her bag and pulled Jiwoo with her.

"See you tomorrow! Try not to space out again since the teachers will start the lessons tomorrow!" Yves waved goodbye to Jiwoo when they reached the school gates.

Jiwoo waved back "I hope so too".


Jiwoo came to school early so that she had time to write down all the outlines she missed yesterday. She opened the door to see that no one was there yet so she went to her seat and took out her notebooks and pen and started writing.

The sound of the door opening made her head turn to see that Donghan was the second student to arrive. He waved at her and went to his seat just taking out his earphones and listening to music.

Jiwoo still had her eyes fixated on him, her heart beating fast as if she had just run a marathon. She managed to snap herself back and continue writing down her notes resisting the urge to look at him. 

When she was finally done, there a few more students in the room, some were talking to each other while the others were sleeping. Her eyes found their way to Donghan once again. She was curious and frustrated. Why was this boy causing her to feel this way? 

Her thoughts were interrupted when Yves snapped her fingers in front of her.

"Staring at your crush again?" Yves teased as she sat down on her seat.

Crush? Is that the reason why he makes me feel this way?

"Yves I need your help."

"Oooh this is something new. You almost never ask me for help. This must be urgent and I'm guessing it's about the boy who keeps making you space out."

"Yes, I just need to confirm something. Do you have that watch of yours that monitors your heart rate?" Jiwoo asked while Yves shuffled through the contents of her bag before pulling out the said watch.

"What are you gonna do with it?" Yves asked as she handed Jiwoo the watch.

"You'll see." Jiwoo put on the watch and saw that her heart rate was 63 bpm which was normal.

"Now, call Donghan and tell him to come over here. Keep your eyes on the watch." Yves nodded and held Jiwoo's wrist.

"Donghan. Can you come over here for a second?" Yves yelled.

Donghan looked behind his seat and stood up walking towards them.

Everything seemed to move in slow motion as Jiwoo looked at Donghan approaching her. She could feel her heart beat faster and as expected the monitor showed that her heart was beating faster. She started breathing heavily.

"70...88...110...135...175!" Yves shouted causing Jiwoo to panic. She covered Yves' mouth and told Donghan that he could return to his seat with a nervous smile on her face.

Donghan gave out a confused smile and went back to his seat.

Jiwoo removed her hand from Yves' mouth and took off the watch.

"Your heart beat says it all." Yves quietly said putting the watch back in her bag.

"What am I going to do?" Jiwoo slumped her face on her desk feeling tired.

"I'm sure it's just a crush. People have those all the time. It'll go away soon." Yves patted Jiwoo's hair in an attempt to comfort her.

"I really hope so." But deep down inside of her, she didn't want this feeling to go away. It's as if she is starting to discover more things about herself that even she didn't even know about. 

This must be what thrill feels like.


*A few months later...

Jiwoo went to school early again with her notebooks in her hand. She walked through the quiet halls and found her classroom. She entered without looking, bumping into someone causing her to fall and drop her notebooks and her glasses.

"Oh I'm really sorry."

"It's fine, I just need to find my glasses." Jiwoo's vision was blurry without her glasses so she started moving her arms around the floor to find it.

"Ah here it is." Jiwoo heard the person say as the said person put the glasses right on her making her vision clear again. This person was no other than Donghan. Jiwoo saw how dangerously close he was to her so she immediately stood up, thanked him for his help, picked up her things and dashed towards her seat. Donghan walked back to his seat and continued to listen to music.

Yves was also in the room and noticed that Jiwoo was in her seat staring at Donghan again, but this time she had a smile on her face.

"Ah, little Jiwoo finally decided to accept what she feels." Yves looked at Jiwoo with a proud smile on her face.

Jiwoo switched her gaze to Yves and chuckled.

"I knew you were gonna give in someday."

*At the end of the day

"I really really really hate our Chemistry teacher, he wants us to take a quiz but he doesn't even teach us properly! What kind of teacher faces the blackboard for the entirety of the class? I can barely hear his words." Yves whined while she and Jiwoo were walking out of the school.

"That's true. Atleast let us go home early so we have time to study." Jiwoo said trying to brighten her mood.

"Jiwoo, one day isn't enough for something like this. I might aswell rip the test paper in front of him since I know I'll fail." Yves started making the ripping gesture.

"I'll send you my notes if that would help." Jiwoo offered.

"Really? Yes please! Oh my lord and saviour Jiwoo I will forever be grateful!" Yves was hugging her tightly and jumping at the same time.

They both waved each other goodbye.

"I'm home!" Jiwoo said as her mom peaked her head through the kitchen.

"Oh you're home early today."

"Yes, they let us leave early since there will be a lot of quizzes two days from now." 

"I see, well good luck on those exams. Oh and sweetie, can you take Chuu on walk on your free time? I keep forgetting that dogs need their exercise." her mom said while looking at the small pomeranian wagging its tail.

"Sure. I'll just change my clothes then I'll take him to the park." Jiwoo went up to her room and wore grey long sleeves and a black skirt. She went back downstairs and put a leash on Chuu before heading to the park.

Donghan was sitting on one of the benches in the park just listening to music. He was also having problems with the announcement of the test and was trying to calm himself by going to a quiet area like the park and listening to music. He then saw a familiar person with a dog by their side.

"Chuu it's been a long time since you've been to the park so I'm gonna make sure you g-" the dog started running pulling its owner along with it.

Donghan could only smile at the site.

"Chuu I know you excited but please slow down!" Jiwoo lost her grip on the leash and the dog just kept running. "Chuu wait up!"

Chuu kept running around the piles of leaves and around the trees while Jiwoo could only attempt to catch the leash but fail everytime.

Jiwoo heard a whistle causing Chuu's ears to wiggle a bit before running towards the sound and Jiwoo running to chase her dog again.

Chuu stopped in front of Donghan who started petting him.

Jiwoo finally caught up just catching her breath not even noticing who the person was.

"Oh thank goodness you stopped." Jiwoo looked up to see Donghan petting Chuu who was sitting down.

"Hi, you're Jiwoo right? Sorry again for the incident this morning." Donghan apologized.

"No, like I said it's fine." Jiwoo felt it again. Her heart beating fast and the thrill it brought.

"Oh would you like to sit down, it looks like all that running made you tired." Donghan said offering her the seat next to him.

Jiwoo sat down on the bench beside him and then silence. There was pure silence between them for the past 2 minutes and it was getting quiet awkward.

"So have you studied for the Chemistry exam?" Jiwoo wanted to slap herself. Wow Jiwoo, two minutes and that's the best conversation starter you can think of? Bravo.

"I actually came here to calm myself from all the stress and watching you chase your dog around was pretty funny." Donghan said while Jiwoo let out a smile.

"This is kinda embarrasing but I heard that you were the class genius, could you maybe teach me some of the lessons?" 

"Sure, when do you want to study?"

"How about tomorrow after class at the coffee shop near the school. I heard that sweets help people concentrate so maybe we can eat something sweet while studying."

"Sounds great. I'll see you tomorrow then." Jiwoo got up from her seat, grabbed Chuu's leash, and said goodbye to Donghan before going back home.

Jiwoo had a big smile on her face as she happily skipped back home. Alright Jiwoo calm thyself, it's not like he asked you out on a date.


"Jiwoo my lord and saviour your notes did wonders to my mind! I understood everything and I am so ready to destroy that Chemistry test tomorrow!" Yves ran up to Jiwoo as she entered the classroom.

"I'm glad you understood them." Jiwoo high-fived Yves who was still jumping with excitement.

"Wanna go to the mall later? I did say I needed to get you out of your house."

"Sorry I can't go I have to tutor someone for the test tomorrow." Jiwoo smiled remembering yesterdays events.

"I already know who he is judging from the smile on your face. Enjoy your date!" Yves said as they both sat on their desks.

 

*At the end of the day
Jiwoo and Donghan walked out of the coffee shop after two hours of studying.

"Thanks again for teaching me. I finally understand the lessons." Donghan said.

"No problem. Good luck on the exam tomorrow!" Jiwoo waved goodbye as she walked back to her house.

 


"Guys the results have been posted on the bulletin board!" Kenta shouted as he opened the door causing everyone to run outside to the bulletin board.

Some students were disappointed by their grades and some were rejoicing.

"Oh yes yes yes! The magic of Jiwoo's notes have shown their results! Thank you so much!" Yves was once again hugging her tightly while jumping.

"Jiwoo." Donghan approached both of them. Yves was just there watching her friend become lovestruck once again.

"Well, I scored a 93 and I owe it all to you." Donghan said as he patted her hair.

"Oh my, contact." Yves blurted out causing Jiwoo to smile.

"Awww I can't believe I got a failing grade!" Kenta whined as he approached Donghan.

"There's this thing called 'paying attention in class' you should try it." Yves said.

"I really want to hit you right now but I'm too sad so I won't." 


"Jiwoo, Jiwoo, Jiwoo! There you are! You would not believe what I just saw!" Yves was running through the halls looking for Jiwoo until she found her in her seat.

"Whatever it is, it seems important." Jiwoo leaned in curious as to what her best friend has seen.

"You know that Valentines day is tomorrow right? Well I just saw Donghan putting a boquet of flowers in his locker! I think he is gonna ask out someone today."

"That really is some news." Jiwoo had a blank expression on her face after hearing the news.

"What's with the poker face? Aren't you excited that he might ask you out?"

"The word 'might' is what I'm afraid of. There are other girls that faun over him just like I do, what if he asks out someone else?"

"Oh right, I didn't think about that. Well, let's just hope that he does ask you out. Think positive!" Yves cheered for her friend who had her face slumped on her desk.

Jiwoo watched as girls from other classes came in just to give Donghan small gifts while wishing him Happy Valentines.

"Those little -bleep- trying to get an advantage by presenting Donghan with material objects! How dare they?" Yves was getting irritated while Jiwoo was losing hope.

The final bell rang and everyone got off their seats. Some of the girls in the hallway were talking about how lucky they were to be asked out on a date by some guy. Jiwoo sighed as she walked towards her locker and saw that their was a sticky note attached. Curious, she read the note. It wasn't an ordinary note, someone had written their confession on that note and posted it on her locker. The note ended with the words "So will you be my valentine?"

"Did someone leave this here by mistake?" Jiwoo wondered.

"No. It's not a mistake." Jiwoo almost jumped from hearing the voice behind her.

She turned around and saw Donghan holding the boquet of flowers that Yves mention earlier.

"So will you be my valentine?"

"But why me?"

"I've always liked you. I just didn't know how to approach you. I saw Valentines day as an opportunity to finally tell you how I feel. It's been difficult hiding these feelings for so long." Donghan let out a small chuckle.

"It sounds pathetic doesn't it?"

"No. That's because I've been doing the same thing. I'll gladly be your Valentine."

Jiwoo smiled as Donghan gave her the boquet of flowers.

Yves was watching the whole thing as some of the girls that gave Donghan gifts, hoping that he would ask them out, came by and saw that he already chose Jiwoo.

"That's right, material things won't get you girls anywhere so scoot!"