The Amber And Crystal Ring

To The Core And Back

Author’s POV

Krystal Jung Soojung was the first person ever to graduate from college at young age with the course and professionalism of geology in the age of 19. She’s already licensed and has given the permit to lead her own team … a true genius indeed.

But no matter how much she’d already succeeded and achieved from giving out many positive contributes for science and the serious applause she got from it, nothing from all of it seemed to satisfy the young scientist. For some reason, she’s craving for more discoveries, yearning for something that only her had seen and acknowledge for the first time.

A once just a silly dreams and questions of a mere child became a big part of her whole life, her status, and her purpose. Mysterious yet amazing it is, for her to move and dream onto something just because of one simple question. “What is inside this globe we’re living at?”

Even after when many scientists already approved to their researches, saying that the Earth has three main layers together, the core, mantle and crust. But again, as a big contradiction for it was that, we never actually saw it. And so Krystal hasn’t yet got the satisfaction she wanted at all.

She even once wished that if ever she can get the chance to explore deep inside the world, she’ll gladly accept it.

It was winter right now. Everytime Krystal breathes out, faint fog follows up. They said that the core was as hot as the sun, and so then the girl gave out a rather stupid question. “If it’s hot in the Earth’s center, then why is it cold out here?”

She huff and puff while walking until she stumbled at a fountain. The water was already frozen still. An idea then popped out the young scientist’s mind. She firmly yet ruggedly punched the stone-iced water and winced after the hard contact.

“What are you doing?” A voice from behind surprised Krystal.

Even with burning pain from her knuckles, the girl ly to meet a guy with odd yet beautiful and very mesmerizing eyes. “W-who are you?” It was all she can muster out as she composes herself. But all of a sudden, the guy just fall flat on the ground, unconscious.

Without thinking twice, the young girl approached the guy. She flinched in pain after touching the stranger’s skin. It feels like it was being grilled or something because it was burning hot. The guy groaned weakly.

Being a good person she was taught to grow into, Krystal gave her best and dragged the almost lifeless guy back to her apartment. She can still feel the weirdly abnormal heat of the guy so she decided to only pull him by the fabric of his clothes.

After for like an hour or two of long walk, Krystal finally reached her home. Completely tired and exhausted, she momentarily forgot about the stranger and made her way to freshen up. Several minutes passed when the guy slowly rose up and examined the area. For him, everything is new and kind of alienic.

“Where am I?” He mumbled as he rubbed both of his arms with his hands to produce some heat.

“Here.” A pair of new clothes landed right at his face. He looked up and met the coldest yet innocent and stunningly beautiful eyes he’d ever seen. “Go change. It’s my sister’s boyfriend’s clothes. I think it will fit you fine. Wear some gloves too.” Krystal said monotonously before breaking her eye contact at the guy. “O-ok.” He simply replied before walking away into the bathroom.

“Krystal.” He halted and looked back at the girl’s cold stares. “My name is Krystal. What’s yours, Oppa?”

Being startled by the sudden introduction, he quickly thought of something. “It’s … Amber. The name’s Amber Joseph Liu.” For the first time after they met each other, which is just some hours ago, the two exchanged their first warmest smile.

It was already 11:00PM when Amber came back with his new clothes on. He saw the girl reading something about rocks and other things about the Earth.

“You seem to love those kinds of things.” Amber’s sentence completely caught Krystal’s attention. “Well, yes … I do love everything about rocks, more specifically, the world.” The girl happily replied while putting down her spectacles. Unknown to her, Amber is smiling in interest as he heard the girl’s word.

“Honestly, I do too.”

Krystal finally stared back at Amber.  Her eyes were sparkling in anticipation. “What is it that made you love them so much?” The latter asked. “I don’t actually know, to be honest. Maybe I was attracted to how our world is made of something like that. Even though it may sound childish, I really wish to go inside this massive form of land and reach the core.” Krystal replied.

Inside, Amber was astonished at Krystal’s answer. He can’t explain it, but something was lit inside him on every word that came out from the girl’s mouth. “It’s still 11:11PM. I think we can talk about these, can’t we?”

The girl blinked her eyes for a moment before smiling. “Of course! So what should we talk about now? You know, being a geologist was hard because even just a slight question needed a hundred researches just to be solved.” Krystal continued to talk while Amber listened attentively. “I wish I can go explore inside this large mass of soil so that I can finally stop their endless questions.”

Amber laughed loudly at the girl’s statement, which made Krystal glare daggers at him. “That’s some dope dream there, Krystal.” He smiled without even flinching at the girl’s cold stares.

“Why? Got a problem with it, Stupid?” Krystal’s right eye twitched at the latter’s brightness. ‘This guy’s not affected by my glares.’ She thought.

“Nothing, honest. It’s just that … you look so cute while saying it.” Unconsciously, Amber ruffled the girl’s hair as he continues to laugh. Krystal can’t explain why she’s not feeling offended or irritated by the fact that a stranger is laughing at her and openly ruffling her hair like their so close to each other.

Either way, she just smiled and playfully swatted the guy’s hand off her head. “Stop laughing and start sharing something about you too, Stupid.” Amber did stop and looked at Krystal’s orbs. He knows, she’s anticipating on whatever he’s going to say.

“Ok. I hope I won’t bore you, Krys.” And then he talked like there’s no tomorrow and Krystal listened to everything he said. Her eyes are sparkling as her interest over their topic is actually filling her up to the point that she didn’t notice that they’re already talking for hours.

The whole living room was filled with their voices in the tone of excitement and delight. Before they know it, it’s already 2:00AM. Even though sleepiness is not evading the girl’s mind, Krystal have a job to appoint to so she had no choice but to end their conversation.

“Nah, it’s fine. We can talk more later once you’re done with your business, right? Just take some rest. I’ll be sleeping here so off you go, Krys.” Amber said while patting the girl’s head. Krystal pouted but nodded before leaving the latter.

Amber was about to lay his tired body over the couch when Krystal’s door opened again.

“Wait, so you’re saying that you’re going to stay here in my house?” This made Amber frozen. ‘Oh yeah, I totally forgot that I’m a lone stranger. Think of a way to evade this, Amber. QUICKLY!’

“N-no. I’ll go find some place to stay at tomorrow. I’ll just spend the night h-here.” Amber gave a nervous smile as the girl stared at him blankly. The silence made the latter a little uncomfortable so he decided to give a different approach when Krystal beat him first. “You don’t have to. You said you don’t have money because someone robbed you, right? Just stay here instead. I don’t mind anyway … as long as you keep your hands to yourself.”

The girl’s last sentence came out as a whisper but the guy heard it clearly. “Huh? What do you mean by that?” Krystal gave out a serious look, only to retreat back to a flustered one when she saw the innocence in Amber’s eyes as he look back at the girl in confusion.

“W-what I mean is, you can live together with me since I’m pretty much alone for a long time in this house. My sister have her own life and home so I never had a long time housemate here. And I’m also looking out for your stories too. If it somehow bothers you since I’m a girl, then do remember that I can do something brutal too. But I can see that you’re a very nice guy, so I trust you, Am. Feel at home here … please.” Krystal mentally applauded herself.

Without a word, Amber rise up from his seat and walked to the girl. He gave her a tight hug. “Thank you, Krys. You’re such a nice person. I promise I’ll repay you someday.” The girl’s face was completely red, but she knows that this person who’s embracing her was just giving an innocent gratitude so she just gave him a light pat on the back and smiled.

“You’re welcome, Am. Now, go and sleep.” Krystal calmly said once they both pulled away. “Ok. You too, beautiful.” There was a slight playfulness in Amber’s tone but it still made the girl blush. “G-goodnight!” She shut her door a little harder because of shyness. Though it surprised the latter, he smiled nothing less.

“Goodnight too, Krys.” With that, Amber walked back to the living room and finally laid his body to sleep.

Krystal’s POV

Ever since I met Amber, my days became much brighter than the sun. His presence made me livelier than I am whenever I focused myself in my work. At first, his stories are the one that catches my attention, but as our time with each other are getting longer, he and his own existence is what attracts me now. I can’t get enough of him.

Staying in my house alone with him never worries me. What actually worries me is the idea of him leaving me instead. I completely understand the meaning of this action of mine. Yes, I am falling in love with Amber, and I won’t deny it.

He was nice and innocent. My colleagues that usually spend their time in hitting on me instead of working are just good in flirting and trying to impress me. It bothers me and definitely only cause annoyance, but Amber … he’s different. He’s not the typical guy who minds their hormones most of the time. I can even say that Amber was far stupid to even know the word ‘ion’.

His innocent nature was kind’a stupid but will assure you that he won’t ever harm you.

But sometimes, I can find some weird things about Amber. He’s lively in days but a total lazy bum in nights. He also never tells me stuffs about his childhood. “My past was pretty boring and something you’ll surely shut your ears out to.” This was his usual reason followed by another words of randomness to change the topic.

His skin was still flaming hot so he always wears sweaters or jackets to enable me to hold him. He clearly covers his whole skin except his face. I can’t even tell if he’s sick or something.

Either way, I never get sick over him and his stories. I was contemplating if I should confess to him or not. ‘I don’t even know if he’ll feel the same.’

Months already passed away and I noticed the changes in Amber. He’s turning weaker each day, even in sunny days. He’s also turning pale and his flaming hot skin was getting slightly low. His fingers that once resemble the heat of torches and matches are now like frozen ice sticks.

This finally made me push him to be honest with me. After questioning him a lot, he said that he’s sick but will get well soon. Though I was still suspecting that he’s lying to me, I believed him and continue spending my day to the greatest with him.

Except, things escalated to the unexpected. By the night of the last day of spring, he called me up in the living room, saying that he’ll tell me something. At first, I thought, he’ll just ask me out to play video games with him since he love to do so with the game called ‘Super Smash Bro’.

I was not minding things until I took a sit beside him. My calm expression turned into surprise when I saw his face. It was almost the same color as the white papers I used to print my documents. Without thinking, I put my hand over his cheek, only to flinch, not in heat, but in extreme coldness instead.

“A-Amber…” My worried voice trailed off when his bare hand held mine. “Soojung, listen to me. I am not what you think I am.” What he said made me frown.

“What do you mean?” I questioned which made him sigh heavily. “You see, this thing that’s happening to me. It’s not an illness, but a threat. I … I’m not living here, Krys. I’m not a human living on Earth like you do. I live inside it, inside the core of this globe.” Even though every words that comes out from his mouth was pure ridicule, my mind has able to process it well.

“Krystal, I know I lied. Even though I don’t want to, I need to go back to where I belong. I was afraid to tell you the truth because … you’re important to me and I don’t want to lose you.” He added.

It all makes sense now. The reason why he fainted back then was because it was the first fall of winter snow. The reason why he’s burning hot was because he’s not normal. The reason why he was weak in night times was because the sunrays are his energy. If there’s not enough heat, he’ll get weaker every second.

He can’t tell me anything about the past years of his life because he was not a human, a person with memories, with a life starting off as an innocent infant turn into an adult. No, he doesn’t have any of that.

Random thoughts started to form in my mind yet there’s not a single thing made way to light a flame of anger inside my heart. Hell, I love him. No matter how ironic it was, I can’t find myself to be angry or to be paranoid to his revelation. What I am actually feeling right now was nothing but deep sorrow.

‘He’s definitely saying goodbye right now, and I’m sure that once he left, he won’t come back anymore.’ The thought made me tear up.

“Please, don’t cry. My last wish here in the outside was to bid my farewells without seeing you sad.” His words only made me cry more. “How the hell can I do that if the person I love so much is about to leave me, huh?!” I started pounding his chest as I close my eyes tight. He held my arms firmly yet carefully, which stopped me from hitting him.

I opened my eyes and saw him staring directly to my eyes. His fire-like orbs are shouting something. “A-Amber…”

Amber didn’t utter anything. Instead, he lean in and kissed my forehead and whispered softly, “There’s something I wanna show you.” He then held me up together with him as he stood up from his seat. We were standing facing each other. “Close your eyes.” He softly ordered and I obliged. By the time I did closed my eyes, an alienic feeling enveloped my entire body.

“Come on. Open up, Princess. I know you’ll love this.” Once she opened her eyes, it widened like saucers I surprise and admiration.

“What you scientists said was true. Earth has a core. It’s my home and my life. If it’s gone then I’ll die. Not being in my natural habitat was a death threat. But then, after meeting this girl, I forgot that I wasn’t supposed to stay for too long out there. I can’t remember the fact that I was just taking a very short stroll outside to fill my curiosity even for just a little bit then come back immediately after. I totally disregarded it all because I fell to the most beautiful human in Earth. A girl named Krystal Jung Soojung.” Amber confessed as he brushed away my remaining tears.

I then noticed that I was covered in a bright light while floating aimlessly as if there’s no gravity around us. He then pointed out something while my gaze followed it. “That wall there … is what you all called mantle. For me, it’s the wall that separates me from the outside. Well, it IS the thickest layer of the Earth, right?” Amber dorkily said which earned him a playful slap from me.

“If my whole body started to lose heat, it means I’m nearing my limits.” I just listened as he continued to explain everything. My attention was only directed to him and him only.

‘I need to cherish every second. After all, this is going to be our last.’

Author’s POV

As the two float over the sphere of Amber’s home, Krystal closed her eyes.

“Krys, is there something wrong?” The latter asked as he carefully held the girl’s chin to make her face him. “Nothing. Just cherishing every bit of this until it last.” Krystal honestly said as she opened her eyes and stared over the guy beside her. Amber can’t do anything but to give her a sad smile.

“I do too, Princess. If only I can stay out there forever, I won’t leave you.” The guy finally let go of the tears he’s been pushing back all this time. Krystal immediately hugged him. “I understand, Am. It’s okay. D-don’t cry.” Her trembling voice was a sign that her own tears are also threatening to fall.

Once they pulled away from each other’s embrace, Amber took out something from his pocket. “I don’t know when and I don’t know how, but I promise, with everything I’ve got … I’ll go back to you, Soojung. I’ll find a way to live with you again, I swear.” His mesmerizing orbs gaze directly to the girl’s teary eyes. He was holding a ring that he slowly put into Krystal’s right ring finger.

When Krystal’s eyes fell to her hand, she can’t help but to sob again. Without uttering anything, she also took something beneath the layers of her blouse. The necklace that she always put under her clothes, hangs a ring. She took the ring out from the necklace and grabbed Amber’s hand.

“This … I want you to take this with you and wear it no matter what. If you promised that you’ll come back to me, then I promise to wait. I’ll wait out there for you till you can be with me again, to live by my side once more. I promise you, Am. Even if it takes years and so … I’ll keep waiting.” Both hands are holding form over each other as if the two don’t want to let go.

“Ok, Soojung. I got it.” That’s only reply Krystal need to hear before she plastered her most genuine smile to the guy she love. “I love you, Stupid.”

“I love you too, Princess.” Amber said before giving the girl a kiss, an innocent kiss to show her how much he loves her. Krystal closed her eyes while savoring her first kiss, feeling every parts of her body turning light. But the warmth didn’t last long.

Once Krystal finally opened her eyes, she didn’t see any crimson sun’s bright rays around her anymore but the image of the apartment she’s living at. She was back in her own world, sitting over the couch like she’s been there all this time.

The thought of the possibility that all that happened was just a dream or imagination never got into her mind when she immediately saw the ring Amber gave her. “It’s all true.” With that, Krystal cried once again while hugging herself. “I will wait for you, Am. I know you’ll keep your promise no matter what, right?” She kissed her ring before walking into her room and locked herself inside.

Since that day, Krystal turned back to her usual self. Cold to everyone, and treats her colleagues with fake smiles over the day till it’s time for her to go home. She never shared what Amber showed her. She swore to keep it to herself. Days in her laboratory became boring again. Her brightness was gone that even her workers were confused.

“She was totally fine few months ago. What happened to her?”, ”Our boss was really weird.”, ”Yeah. I swear, she was smiling back then, but now, she’s back to her grumpy, solitude self.” Those and more words came out from the other scientists as they look back to the young geologist. Krystal didn’t give any mind to them all and just continue on her own world.

“Dudunggie, you going somewhere today?” Her bestfriend, Sulli, one of the few people exempted to what she treat as just nothing but nuisance to her life, asked while putting a new layer of her cherry-colored lipstick over her plumped lips. “Yeah.” Krystal simply replied as she arranged her things.

“Lemme guess … the fountain park?” The girl’s answer was received with only a low hum.

“Ok. Take care, Krys. I’ll be with Sunyoung later. He asked me out. Can’t believe a barista can whip my y body, huh?” Sulli continued to blurt out nonsense as Krystal listened to it all, rolling her eyes to her friend from time to time. “That’s a little weird, wasn’t it? What I mean is, he’s nice and cute so I kind’a like him so I’ll try going out with him.” She added.

“Isn’t that what you always say about the guys you like? They’re cute and nice?” The younger girl said as a matter of fact. “Yah! I’m pretty sure that this one is different. I tell you, Krys! He’s very different from Choiza and those other cheating bastards.” The tall girl’s voice was turning serious that Krystal sighed.

“Ok. Sorry, Unnie. Anyways, how can you say that that Sunyoung guy was different?” The younger one asked more calmly while the other softened up and smiled. “Because he’s too stupid when he’s with me. He’s too innocent with his puppy smile that I am sure that he’s really the one for me this time. Do you know that he likes mirrors? Haha!”

Unknown to Sulli, her reason made Krystal remember something. The scientist smiled and patted her best friend’s head while saying honestly, “Fine. I trust your taste this time, Unnie. Be happy with him, arasso?” Sulli felt a little weird with her friend’s action, but either way, she smiled back and pinched the other girl’s cheeks.

“Thank you, Dudunggie! I’ll introduce him to you when we’re finally together in the future!” The tall girl chirped brightly.

Krystal smiled before carrying her bag with her. “I’ll be going, Unnie. Have a nice date.” She turned around and was about to leave when Sulli said something that made her stop for a minute.

“About that Amber guy … I believe you and his words, Soojung. Keep waiting and I’m sure, he’ll show up. No one can resist the Ice Princess’s beauty after all.” The scientist looked back to her best friend who’s showing her reassuring smile. “Thank you so much, Unnie. I understand. Once that happened, I’ll introduce him to you too. That’s a promise.”

Sulli just grinned widely to her friend’s words before she was left alone inside the scientist’s apartment. “Guess I’ll go a little early today. I need slay that mirror-loving puppy guy.” She said to herself before making her way to a place called ‘Luna’s Café’.

Back to Krystal’s side, she was back there in the park, right over the spot where she first met the guy who’s been infiltrating her mind all this time. She was sitting beside the fountain. The water was finally back to normal, flowing gracefully under the sunrays of the summer sunlight.

“It’s been almost a year now. How are you, Am? Too warm?” The girl mumbled while looking to the ground, talking like her words will pass through it and go directly to the only being that lives inside that pile of solid mass.

“I’m still waiting, Am. I believe in your words. My best friend does the same too. Even Victoria-unnie and my sister did. They and I believe on you and your promise.” No tears came out from her tired eyes. She told herself, she won’t cry as she waits for the guy since she knows that Amber hates to see her sad. She needs to be bright as possible.

Krystal focused her eyes over the ring on her finger, staring lovingly at it while reminiscing all the irreplaceable memories in her mind.

She was too engrossed to it that she didn’t notice the presence of a guy sitting beside her. The guy cleared his throat. “The sun is pretty bright today, huh? Not too hot, just warm enough to people’s like. The sunrays are beautiful too, especially when you look over the water while the light hitting its bed and start twinkling. It’s very mesmerizing. I’m very relaxed and energized because of it.”

Krystal felt her world stop for a moment when she heard the voice of the guy. It was too familiar to her ears to even think of any other person who holds that voice, that calming tone. She was sure that she knows who it is. There’s no doubt in her mind. ‘It’s him.’

“Don’t you feel the same?” This time, Krystal turned around to see the guy’s face. She can’t help but smile as tears slowly takes its form from the corners of her eyes.

“Yes, Am. I feel alive letting this light envelopes me.” Amber’s odd eyes twinkled upon seeing the beauty of the girl who captured his heart.

“I’m back.” After those two words, the latter was engulfed in a tight hug that he quickly reciprocated with the same warmth and feelings. “Yes, you are.” The girl happily said as she snuggled over the crook of the guy’s neck. Amber just chuckled on how cute Krystal was.

“Soojung?” He called out and Krystal hummed. “I love you … to the core and back.” Amber said. The beautiful scientist pulled away and gave the guy a peck on the lips before smiling widely. “Me too, Amber.” No more words were uttered as they shared another passionate kiss that sends signals of how much they miss each other.

Right there, beside the fresh fountain, under the bright inviting warm light of the sun, are two rings being worn by a couple shone blindingly … one is a crystal ring while the other is an amber one.