Stay with Me for a Lifetime

Forget the Yesterday
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

VI ~ Stay with Me for a Lifetime

“So, do you have any big plans this year?” Hakyeon asked, outlining the rim of his latté mug with an index finger. The sun dipped low in the horizon, casting golden rays through spotless glass and into the quiet quarters of Milky Way Café. Off-whites became a soft platinum, and dark browns reflected and absorbed the yellows, orange, and faint reds until it was a warm pool of honey gold.

Taekwoon glanced up from wiping down the counter. It was almost closing time and Hakyeon was the only customer in shop. He wasn’t anywhere near close to being done with his drink, but the raven didn’t mind. The two had their own tradition away from their dongsaeng, where they spent the final day before the new school year together to relax, reminisce, and get whatever little things off their chests so that they both could start the next day refreshed and unburdened.

The barista gazed out the window and watched the people pass by. Hakyeon waited patiently, studying the floral pattern in the latté’s foam and carefully taking a sip so that the image didn’t break. When the brunette looked back up, he found Taekwoon seemingly lost in thought with his eyes on him, but when Hakyeon smiled, the raven followed suit.

Taekwoon chuckled silently at the mild bewilderment on the golden male’s face. “I’m going to look into different internships in music and try some of them out.” He looked off to the side. “I need to decide what to do this year so I can focus on it in senior year.”

Hakyeon nodded. “Is there any field in particular that you’re leaning towards?”

Taekwoon thought for a moment. “I like writing lyrics and composing, but I don’t know if I’d be able to come up with two or three pieces in just a few days or a week.”

“That’s because you haven’t tried yet.” Hakyeon took another sip of his drink. “The only time you gave yourself a deadline was back in high school for my dance routine, but you had two months to work on something.”

“A few days,” the barista corrected in a bitter tone, his features suddenly twisting into a scowl.

Hakyeon smiled sheepishly. “I needed it…”

“Then you should’ve just picked something you already knew.”

“Nooo~” Hakyeon’s cheeks fluffed. “Your songs are always so pretty. I wanted one for myself.” Taekwoon ducked a bit and Hakyeon smirked. “Remember how I used it as my ringtone for a while? Do you know how many times I was asked what it was called and where I downloaded it from?” Taekwoon lowered while Hakyeon’s grin grew. “But even if you might’ve gotten rich if I were to act as your manager, that song was for me and me only.” He sipped once more. “They’d just have to wait for another fantastic original by the great Jung Taekwoon!”

Taekwoon ducked completely now, giving the brunette a full view of his crown. Hakyeon purred and patted it. “See? You do have experience creating a song in a short amount of time. You should do it more often so you can get used to it.”

“Easier said than done,” the barista muttered.

“Should I—”

Taekwoon shot up. “No!” Hakyeon blinked at him. They stared at one another for several moments in silence, then the older clapped his hands and burst into laughter. Taekwoon’s cheeks flared, but his glare was hotter. It may have been funny to Hakyeon, but if he really did put in a request…or two…or three…Taekwoon knew he wouldn’t be able to resist composing the twenty-one-year-old’s wishes in whatever amount of time the shorter would give him, and the raven was not having that. No way. Last time was a nightmare and it was with innocent intentions. This time, however, Hakyeon would be on a mission to help him improve.

Taekwoon already knew he would probably die if that happened.

The barista huffed. “How about you?”

Hakyeon glanced up curiously.

“Plans for university.”

“Ah~” Hakyeon nodded. “Same.” The brunette took another sip of his drink. “I don’t know whether to be a regular teacher or become a dance instructor.” His lips molded somewhere between pursed and puckered as he hummed. “The instructors at the academy think I should be an instructor, but I don’t know. I could do two things I love at once, or stick to one thing I love and just dance in my free time.”

“What’s wrong with being a dance instructor? It sounds more like a win-win.”

Hakyeon tilted his head briefly. “I’m afraid of that old saying, that you shouldn’t mix work with what you love to do, or else you might end up hating it.” He made a gesture with his hand. “Of course, I love to teach, but it may be better to use dance for fun and as a stress reliever…” Brown eyes trailed down to the foam.

Taekwoon rested his arms on the counter. “You sound disappointed.”

The shorter shook his head. “Not disappointed. Just unsure.” He drank the latté properly this time, effectively breaking the pattern. “They’re having a pre-student-teaching program for juniors this year. It’s supposed to last about two weeks, so we’ll see.”

Taekwoon studied him silently. “…How’s the dance academy going, anyway? It’s been a while since you’ve talked about it.”

Hakyeon’s eyes lit up. “It’s going great! We had to choreograph for two songs a while ago, and both of mine were picked as most innovative and impactful.”

The barista raised an eyebrow. “That’s great. Why didn’t you say anything about it?”

Hakyeon shrugged. When the younger frowned at his lack of response, the brunette shrugged again. “Because you’d nag at me and constantly inspect my apartment and fridge.” Hakyeon scrunched his nose. “I’m always being called the mom, but I swear I get it all from you.”

Taekwoon scoffed. He leaned over to part the shorter’s bangs,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter