Love at First Sight

A Day at This School?

 

~Donghae~

I looked up, recognising the voice from earlier. Was I really this lucky? Thank god Jongwoon had skipped class - I had an extra seat now! Biting my tongue to stop myself from screaming out loud, I watched as the angel glided over to my table. But... His face was wearing a look of utmost contempt, hatred written in the way he stared at me. I gulped, suddenly aware everyone was staring. "Uh," I stammered, "wel-welcome to the school, I-I guess..." He nodded briefly, turning away and pulling his chair out. Why was I so nervous? Why was I paying attention to the way he sat really straight, the way he twirled his pen? How cute he looked when he raised his hand, begging to be called on. I smiled to myself, barely aware that all his papers had suddenly flown off his desk. My eyes darted up to the culprit. Jessica. Of course - Hyukjae had obviously annoyed her earlier in the hall. I glared at her, not that she noticed, and knelt down to help Hyukjae pick up his papers. "Thanks," he mumbled almost incoherently, not even meeting me in the eye. I lost it, right there. Why did he hate me so much?

"Look at me, goddammit!"

 

~Hyukjae~

I jumped reflexively, my head snapping up to look at the person the voice had issued from. Donghae. Of course. I made to turn away, but he was looking at ME, with a soft, serious gaze, and I lost all conciousness of my surroundings. It was like his eyes captured me under his spell; the background noise faded away, and before I knew it, I'd leaned in - 

"Lee Hyukjae, Lee Donghae, back to your tables, please!"

I scrambled up off the ground, grabbing my books and placing them on the old table, perching myself back on my chair. What just happened?

 

~Donghae~

His face was inches away from mine, his lips trembling, his pale lids heavy on his beautiful eyes. Without even noticing, I'd leaned in toward him - there were mere inches between us now - when I heard a "Lee Hyukjae, Lee Donghae, back to your tables, please!" sound from the front of the room. "Dammit, Kim Youngwoon," I grumbled under my breath as Hyukjae pulled away, gathering his stuff and pretending nothing had happened. Who was Mr. Kim to talk - everyone knew he'd been a total rebel at his school. I pouted a bit, silently cursing myself for not moving that tiny but closer, and sat back on my chair as well. Slipping a glance at my table partner, I could see a faint blush on his cheeks. Could he be... embarrassed? I scolded myself - no, he was probably flushed from moving so suddenly. Sighing, I opened my books and began to copy the long paragraph written on the board, into my book. "Hae-ah," trilled a high voice - Jessica. I motioned for her to come over, which she did gladly, a little smirk hovering over her lips. I gave her a stern look - "Don't anymore, okay?" She giggled, fanning her perfectly manicured hands in front of her made-up face, "Sure, anything you want." I nodded once and returned to my books.

~Hyukjae~

"Hae-ah," came the annoying squeal of Mascara-Girl. She just couldn't leave well alone, could she. She came to our table - or, Donghae's table, really, and had a private conversation with him. She laughed halfway through, glancing at me out the corner of her black eyes. I groaned inwardly - thanks, Hae. 

Didn't he have a girlfriend, anyway?

 

~Donghae~

I went back to writing - and saw Hyukjae frowning a bit, similar to Yoona. Crap, I suddenly thought, remembering my current sticky situation. I had a wonderful, kind girlfriend, I had her ty best friend flirting with me, and there was absolutely no chemistry between Hyukjae and I. And here I was, totally concentrating on protecting him. Against my friends. What was wrong with me? But there was no way I was giving up on my angel. I would make him mine by the end of this week. Even if it meant breaking up with Yoona. She was lovely, but... Hyukjae had me eating out of the palm of his hand.

Anything he asked for, I would’ve said yes to.

 

~Hyukjae~

I got out of that classroom as soon as I could, footsteps pounding down the corridor before anyone saw me. Or, specifically, before Donghaesaw me. Room, room... 204. So... second floor, fourth room? Room twenty of the fourth floor? I groaned inwardly, cursing at myself for not asking anyone. If only I'd asked Donghae before I'd left-

Oh my gosh, what was wrong with me? I don't even like him! In fact, I hate him! ...So why does this part of me say I'm wrong?

 

~Donghae~

I ran after him, trying to pick up his scattering papers - again. Turning the corner, I caught a glimpse of a shoe before the sound of ascending footsteps echoed around the still empty hall. I sighed, hardly aware that I was standing in the middle of a hall that would soon be filled with busy students. "Move it, can't you- Oh, sorry, Donghae-hyung! I-I thought you were someone else!" I turned; it was little Ryeowook in form 1, cheeks bright red, cuter than I thought was possible. He was forever pestering Yesung; and the elder was always doting on him. 'Just go out already,' I'd once said, and he'd turned bright red. 'Joking,' I'd added hastily afterwards, but he'd been awkward around Wookie ever since. I smiled at him, coming back to present time, and told him that "Yesung's out on the roof, if you want him."

"Thanks, hyung!"

I watched him go, wishing Hyukjae would be as open.