1/1

classic (some things are timeless)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

jeongguk checks the time on his wrist watch. just a few more minutes before he’s let off his shift at the arcade, then he’ll go meet up with yoongi. the older male said he had a surprise for him, which was strange coming from the usually lethargic guy. nevertheless, it must be pretty crucial if he actually called instead of sending a cryptic text like he usually does.

 

the manager deposited him on security duty most of the time. although the arcade is pretty quiet during dinner time, so it’s unnecessary for him to be on the watch for some kids who think they’re slick enough to steal something from the gift store.

 

finally, what seemed like a century for him, the telltale ringing of his phone signified that he could finally pack up and leave. jeongguk hurried off, checking out and grabbing his bag, not even bothering to change out of security get-up.

 

this of course alerted jimin, who was next on the shift, “leaving so quickly? that’s not like you. what’s the occasion?”

 

“yoongi-hyung has a surprise for me, at least that’s what he claimed.”

 

the guy’s eyebrows raised a bit, “really? that’s nice of him!”

 

the younger of the two shook his head, “hyung, you’re talking about someone who gave a picture of himself as a birthday gift.”


 

————

 

“please don’t tell me you printed out a poster of yourself for me. as much as i appreciate the sentiment, my trash is getting full.”

 

yoongi gave a warning glare, “last time i ever arrange anything considerate for you. my face is a blessing.”jeongguk rolled his eyes before telling him to get on with it. he had a comfortable bed waiting back home, calling his name.

 

“anyways, before i was so rudely interrupted. an old friend of mine has this party coming up. it’s supposed to be an engagement party at some fancy hellhole, but they do have a good selection of rich people food. since you were very disgruntled when i handed you god’s handiwork, i’ll give you an invite as my plus one.”

 

“no way, are you being serious? this is legit?”

 

“very legit. take the invite before i change my mind.”yoongi pushed a box towards the younger one. jeongguk unwrapped it to see a suit and an invitation in some kind of gold engraving. the whole packaging probably costed a lot.

 

“damn, thanks a lot! when is the party?

 

“in two days, i figured you didn't have anything formal besides an old-school uniform, so i figured i’d find something from my old piano recitals.”

 

jeongguk nodded, spacing out at the envelope. it intimidated him a bit, “so who’s getting engaged? did your friend happen to tell you that?”

 

the older frowned a bit, “no, he said it would be a surprise. i’m just supposed to be playing music there. they pay me, so i don’t really ask questions.”

 

there’s a pause, “make sure to grab an extra plate for me, i like the mini-sandwiches.”

 

the fabric of the suit is soft under his fingers.

 

it’s another uneventful day; many people enter the gift store. some asking about the valentines event and what they should buy for their reclusive significant other. it’s really just another day at work really. jeongguk had been fiddling with a defective bobblehead before he observed suspicious movement in the monitor display. on more rigorous inspection, it’s someone in a hoodie. lurking around the toys section for a very lengthy time, elevating almost every single object. very suspicious. jeongguk gets up from his seat and walks cautiously behind the person before tapping them on the shoulder.

 

“listen buddy; a lot of people, think they can steal from here because it’s a arcade. but if i let every shady person in here steal something— we won’t be making a living and i’ll be out of a job. so please do us both a favor and purchase something or leave.”it might be a bit blunt, but 99% of the people like this one has tried to shoplift and that usually ended up in a long chase he was not willing to partake in.

 

but apparently life likes to spit in his face as it seems this was the 1%. the guy turned around and gave an apologetic look; an expression that didn’t fit on such a handsome looking face. jeongguk was staring no doubt, but with eye candy like this— in this type of area; he’ll take what he can get.

 

“i’m sorry i didn’t mean to inconvenience you. i don’t head out very often, and i saw there was a limited edition figurine? i wasn’t sure where it was buried in this big pile.”

 

note to self: tidy up the vicinity.

 

jeongguk shook himself out of his trance, “oh, i’m sorry for assuming. it’s just that many sketchy people walk in. i’m terribly sorry.”

 

the guy smiled, what a precious, precious smile, “it’s fine. i understand, i wouldn’t blame you. but since you’re here, do you mind telling me where it is?”

 

“uh— i think it’s sold out. another shipment won’t be coming in for a couple of months.”

 

a crestfallen look replaced the shy smile, “oh, damn. i must’ve been too late.”he replaced the disappointed look with an artificial smile that didn’t nearly shine as bright as the meek and subtle one. he probably shouldn’t be arranging this, but he’s weak to those eyes, “actually, there is one left, but it’s a bit defective.”

 

“defective?”

 

jeongguk motions for the guy to follow him to the front desk where the sad yoshi bobblehead sat, “as you can see, the head is a bit wonky.”he’s not wrong, during a fall or manufacturing, something screwed up: causing the head to be deformed and really looking less like yoshi and more like a lumpy green t-rex.

 

“i’ll take it.”

 

“what.”

 

the guy repeats, with a determined look on his face,“i think it has a nice charm to it. how much do you want for it?”jeongguk could cry from how adorable the guy was, he seemed really focused on the lumpy green thing. truly precious. he didn’t even register his own words telling the guy to just keep it for free.

 

the guy stared, “no, i have to pay. i’d feel bad. i’ve already taken up so much of your time.”

 

“no, it’s fine really, it was going to head to the trash anyways.” a lie, usually jeongguk takes the defects home and stores them in the closet. the first five toys became too creepy to come home to. but hey, they needed homes too.

 

“are you sure?” the male seemed uncertain, “there must be some way i could repay you.”

 

“i have a break coming up soon; you could buy me a coffee—“ what the , jeon jeongguk, what are you ing saying, you ing idiot—

 

“sure, of course! i’ll wait for you outside.”

 

“wait- what’s your name?”

 

the guy hesitated and a few seconds passed before he answered, “it’s jin.”

 

—————

 

“i think i’m in love.”

 

“what the jeongguk.”

 

jeongguk lays on his stomach, thinking back to earlier events. after he had checked out for his break, he quickly ran out to see if jin actually kept on his promise, which he did. they talked for awhile, mostly about jeongguk rather than the other. jin seemed very shy and never really talked about himself. instead, he opted to listening brightly to all of jeongguk’s stories about taking down shoplifters. sadly his break was up, and he had to part ways, he asked to exchange information and it looked as if jin didn’t want to but eventually he agreed. now he was home, crying about his newfound love to a very disinterested yoongi.

 

“hyung, you don’t understand. if you saw his precious smile, you’d agree. actually no, i hope you never see him; you’ll try to steal him away from me. but have i mentioned, he’s so precious? like i want to protect any harm that comes his way.”

 

the older scoffed, “i’m practically married to my bed, you think i have time to invest in a relationship? plus, you met the guy for what, 20 minutes? how are you so whipped already.”

 

“actually it was 22 minutes.” that earned a pillow to his head.

 

“should i call him or text him? ask him if he got home safely? how is he? how is his sugar gliders? hyung, did i tell you he has sugar gliders?”

 

“jesus christ, he’s not your mom. just text him.”

 

“i’m scared.”

 

“for god's sake.“ before jeongguk could register it, yoongi took his phone and sent a simple greeting to the number, which earned a yell in protest. the younger immediately tried getting his phone back, but he noticed a slight frown.

 

“are you sure this is the right number?”

 

“yeah, he put it in there, why?”

 

the older hands back the phone, “i’d hate to say this but either the guy messed up or he really does not want anyone finding him. the number is to a fried chicken place.”

 

“what? that can’t be.”

 

“i’m not lying, it redirected to the homepage.”

 

jeongguk gapes at the website on his phone, why would the guy give him the wrong phone number. whatever the reason, it bums him out. he didn’t think their conversation went wrong at any point. well except when he accused jin of trying to shoplift. but still, they had fun talking to each other. at least, he thought they did.

 

“cheer up kid, now we know what’s for dinner tonight. you need to rest, tomorrow is the party.”

 

the younger nods slightly, no doubt gloomily. he really thought that jin( if that’s even his name) had liked him as well. he gave up the defect yoshi for him!

 

the night ends with jeongguk drinking and eating chicken to his heart's content while mourning the loss of potential friendship and the deformed yoshi toy.

 

he doesn’t get the chance to get over the things that happened just the day before as he wakes up with a splitting headache. hangovers were the worst and it didn’t seem like yoongi was in any better shape than he was. the guy was sliding off his bed, half his body near the floor and the rest sprawled on the mattress. that’s going to ache no doubt, and they were supposed to look presentable in a few hours for the engagement party.

 

jeongguk trudged over to the drowsy male and shook him a bit, which resulted in the guy falling over onto his face and groaning in pain. they both must’ve drank a lot; half the day was already over and they were barely conscious. thank god it’s the weekend, otherwise they would both be in no shape to function. a mumble came from yoongi, most likely whines about his head and face.

 

“hyung don’t we- have the uh, the thing,” crap, he can barely formulate a proper sentence, “the formal thing.”

 

he looks blearily at the guy on the floor before he sees him shuffling, “what? what are you uttering about?”

 

“the thing, that thing— we’re supposed to be at in an hour.”

 

this seemed to wake the older as he jumped up and sprinted to the bathroom, yelling about how they were going to be late. jeongguk quickly headed to the kitchen, opting to brush his teeth over the small sink, spilling some of the water from nearby dishes onto the table. he’ll clean that up later, right now he was more focused on looking presentable for the actual event.

 

jeongguk hears things knocked over towards the bathroom before yoongi ran out with a hastily put on dress shirt and a clip on tie.

 

“why don’t you have your suit on?!”

 

jeongguk looks at him puzzled, toothpaste dripping onto the counter, “i’m in the middle of brushing my teeth!”

 

“no time!” yoongi drags him, abandoning the things in the kitchen and pushes him into the bathroom, pushing different cosmetics to make them look presentable. overall, the day definitely isn’t going to be smooth; with the blaring headache and all the rush, it’s a surprise they made it out on time. jeongguk still has a bit of toothpaste in his mouth, and yoongi opts to toss a black beanie on his head to cover the mess.

 

later during the car ride jeongguk asks whether they’re going to mind his beanie.

 

“why? what about it?”

 

“hyung, it has the word on it.”

 

“jeongguk, they’re not going to give a about me. they’re going to be too busy worrying about kissing and making frivolous business connections to mind me.”

 

“what if they kick you out?”

 

“where would they bring in a replacement that quick?”

 

by the time they arrived, there had been already a lot of cars so they had to park across the street. yoongi didn’t have to worry about music equipment since they already funded for that at the party. they check in through the employee’s door, and it’s a absolute mess. people are running through the rooms struggling to get things put out in time, there’s a huge cake preparing to go out. the chef is yelling out orders, and soon someone is rushing yoongi to get ready. he stands there awkwardly, not sure where to go before he heads out into the main area, after all he was just a plus one.

 

jeongguk hangs out near the food and observes the place; there’s a huge ice sculpture and a big chandelier hanging overhead. there are people he recognizes, the ones from shows he’s watched, famous music producers and high-tier idols. there are many reporters standing outside the glass doors guarded by buff men in black suits. he doesn’t know who’s engagement party this is, but he does know it’s someone important and related to the entertainment field or at least favors it. he feels intimidated by all the scrutinizing gazes directed towards his way. it’s not like he’s underdressed, in fact the suit is pretty suffocating compared to his usual uniform and attire.

 

jeongguk heads towards the stage where yoongi’s looking over some music sheets. obviously displeased with the fact that he’ll have to play the piano instead of actual djing.

 

“so, is your friend here yet? he must be pretty important to be part of this.”

 

yoongi shrugged a bit, “he’s not here yet and i guess? he’s just like any other guy really.”jeongguk’s about to ask about something else before he’s interrupted by noise. there’s a sudden commotion and people cheering and clapping as a man and woman aboard the stage opposite to where they were located. they must be the ones in charge of this entire event.

 

the man had a booming voice, very authoritative, “welcome, thank you all for taking time out of your day to attend my son’s engagement to his special someone,” a younger man walks onto the stage with a dazzling smile contrasting his parent’s more stoic, forced ones. now that jeongguk looked closer, the guy was holding another person’s hand, guiding them onto the stage. “there’s drinks and assortments of food, please help yourselves.“

 

suddenly his hands go cold and clammy as he looks at the second guy, a face he could easily identify.

 

jin.

 

except, it didn’t look anything like the jin he knew. this one was more poised, in a crisp suit and neatly styled hair. he’s handsome like before, but he has an unsettling, strained expression as he avoids his fiance’s fond gaze. he’s uncomfortable. it’s the same look he had when jeongguk asked for his contact information, the same one when he got accused of shoplifting. he wants to go up that stage and rub those wrinkles between his eyebrows away.

 

from his peripheral vision, he notices yoongi fumbling with his music sheets, frazzled? but soon he masks it as a neutral expression with a hint of confusion.

 

the first guy as he found out is kim taehyung. he’s not sure why he didn’t realize it sooner, the guy was in many commercials and was praised as a prominent model. he really is a brilliant person, and his parents are no exception. his dad, the head of one of the most influential companies, and his mom, the founder of an important broadcasting station. he would’ve been more amazed if he weren’t distracted by the other.

 

soon after the ceo’s speech was over, taehyung began his introduction, “today is a very important day to me. as you all know i’m officially engaged to this gentleman, kim seokjin—“ he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter