Chapter 3

Words, Wars & Symphonies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hoseok could barely sleep through the night tossing and turning as he keeps thinking about the ceremony which starts tomorrow.

It’s weird that he is worrying so much because the only task he has to do is sit there and witness the Princes in some kind of competition. He doesn’t have to do anything.

But his worries stem more from the fact that this entire thing will be a real thing tomorrow something that Hoseok cannot back out of because his and the entire kingdom’s future lies on his shoulder.

It wasn’t supposed to be this way. It never was.

Someone as young as Hoseok is never supposed to be the ruler of a kingdom. But then again things never go the way you want them to do.

The news of his father having a terminal illness only came about a year ago when the King collapsed while making a public address. The whole kingdom had gone into somewhat of a frenzy over the sick King. Doctors were called to check up on him and his father believed he collapsed because of dehydration but the doctors had different news to tell.

Hoseok returned to Gwangju from the USA where he was studying political philosophy so he could be with his dying father. The days were numbered despite the numerous treatments. But the King never lost his hope or will to live and still made an effort to keep up his public appearances but his condition took a toll on him and three months later Hoseok’s father passed away in his sleep just two weeks after Hoseok had turned twenty years meaning he had come of age.

Suddenly the weight of the kingdom had fallen on his mother’s shoulders who was already mourning the death of her beloved husband but she did her best to keep the kingdom under control but with a dead king they were as vulnerable as they could be and since the child of a king is the only rightful heir of a kingdom his mother couldn’t rule the kingdom for long before questions arose from the ministry and hence his mother did what anyone in her position could and that was to look for a spouse so that Hoseok could formally take over as the new King of Gwangju.

Hoseok who was studying in a University only nine months ago had his whole life uprooted just like that. He didn’t even get to say goodbye to his friends and it was not like he could even tell them why he had to live. His identity was a secret.

Hoseok’s life had managed to completely transform in only a matter of a year. He went from someone carefree to someone who was to be crowned King in only two months.

Life really can take a turn sometimes.

 

 

The sun is shining bright as Hoseok looks down to the grounds watching people file in to witness the beginning of the ceremony. Chairs are set up and the ground does not look large enough to accommodate the huge crowd that has turned up, seems like nothing could be of more entertainment value than watching six Princes completing competitive tasks to woo a Prince for the sake of their own political agenda.

Hoseok hears a soft knock on the door. He rises up from his comfortable spot by the window sill to open the door. It’s his mother. She smiles at him.

“Ah, you have dressed already,” she says. “I thought I would have to wake you up now”

Hoseok chuckles a bit. The only reason he is up and early is that he had no sleep at all and he decided he might as well get dressed and wait to be called down.

“Come on then, we should head to the grounds,” she says.

Hoseok nods closing the door behind him. Two guards accompany them. This is not a normal occurrence however as it is a public event the security is maximized so that no intruder gets inside.

Hoseok and his mother make their way to the grounds and immediately everyone rises up from their seats and sit back when his mother makes a motion for them to sit down with a gentle smile on her face.

They sit on the chairs and Hoseok stares at the huge crowd. Some of them do not even have chairs to sit on as they lean against the wall to watch the opening ceremony.

From the other side of the palace, Hoseok notices the Princes coming out one by one dressed exactly the way they were dressed the day they arrived. They walk briskly before stopping in front of Hoseok and bow down and then turn around again to bow in front of the people.

The royal speaker rushes to hand a microphone to Prince Seokjin.

“Hello the dear people of Gwangju,” he says. “I feel very welcome by the kindness of Her Majesty, Prince Hoseok and of course the people of this kingdom. Today I stand here to participate in the ceremony of choosing a groom for Prince Hoseok and I take honor in it. I promise to prove myself worthy of being a groom for the Prince and with the blessing of Gwangju and all its people I hope to gain victory”

The crowd applauds and Hoseok sees his mother nod appreciatively. It’s quite clear that Prince Seokjin is a man of words and by the positive response of the people to his words, it seems to work well in his favor.

“Hello, the people of Gwangju,” Prince Yoongi says next. “I am very honored to be a part of this ceremony and I promise to do my very best and emerge victoriously”

The response is subdued, half of the crowd do not bother to applause. And Hoseok almost feels bad for some reason by how Yoongi must feel after seeing the crowd react in such a way though nothing is apparent from the neutral expression his face holds. Though the public does not decide anything their opinions matter a lot because no one is going to choose a Prince that does not hold well with the public. The Prince must be loved by the public.

Next up is Prince Namjoon.

“I am very lucky to be a part of this ceremony and I aspire to prove myself worthy of the love of the people of Gwangju and the love of Prince Hoseok. Thank you for having me”

The people seem to be impressed but Hoseok feels nothing. These are empty words that mean nothing.

Prince Jimin smiles as he takes the microphone.

“As I stand here today I cannot use words to suffice how honored I am to be a part of something so significant and I know that I must use this opportunity to prove myself worthy of the companionship of Prince Hoseok and I hope the people of Gwangju think of me as worthy too”

The response is quite impressive from the public but it soon dies down when Prince Taehyung is handed the microphone.

“Today on this very beautiful day it marks the most significant day the ceremony to choose Prince Hoseok’s companion starts and I compete as one of them to prove myself to be chosen as a companion for the Prince. I will give everything in it until I achieve it. My heart lies with the Prince and the people of the great land of Gwangju”

The roaring applause is almost deafening and Hoseok notices that Prince Seokjin doesn’t look particularly pleased by the response.

The last one to speak is Prince Jungkook who smiles at the crowd first and fumbles with his microphone. The crowd looks at each other unsure and Hoseok notices his mother edge forward in her seat.

“I am very grateful and lucky to be a part of this ceremony and I want to be worthy enough to have Prince Hoseok’s hand in marriage. Thank you”

The response is even colder than Yoongi’s and Hoseok feels instantly bad as he watches Prince Jungkook gnaw on his lip nervously as he stands next to Prince Taehyung. He doesn’t notice his mother calling out his name until she nudges him by the elbow.

“You must speak,” she says.

Hoseok nods as he stands up on his feet heading to the podium. His heart beats fast as he clears his throat.

“Thank you to everyone who is present here to witness the ceremony. I wish all the Princes a good luck”

The crowd claps for Hoseok and he returns back to his seat. Hoseok notices all the Princes are gone and horses are being brought into the grounds.

“Do you know what task will they be performing?” Hoseok asks.

“Of course,”

“Why did you not tell me?” he asks.

“You could leak the information to the Princes giving them an unfair advantage,” his mother explains.

“Why would I do that?”

“You could develop a soft spot or some kind of affection for one of them,” she says a playful smile on her face. “You might tell them about the ceremony”

Hoseok rolls his eyes.

“I would never do that,”

“I’m just saying,” she says. “I’ve been where you are right now...and I know what can happen,”

Hoseok is not his mother or father and he will not be having a fairytale love of some kind. In his mi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter