Café Mocha Pt. 2

Transcendence

Prompt by --cupcakeredvelvet-- on AFF

“Can you do a sequel to Mocha Latte?”

———

Bobby was waiting outside the café when Hanbin came out after having changed into clothes that didn’t smell of coffee beans.

“Hey, Bobby,” Hanbin greeted him shyly, smiling as the older boy beamed back at him.

“You ready to go?” Bobby asked, reaching over to tangle their fingers together and pulling Hanbin closer.

Hanbin nodded and was tugged down the street. “Where are we going?”

Bobby looked at him and winked, “It’s a secret.” The barista pouted and Bobby cooed at him, swinging their connected hands back and forth.

They passed by the local bookstore and headed down a path that slowly emptied of people. Hanbin looked around, not knowing this side of the street he had walked around dozens of times.

“You’re not bringing me to a secluded place to murder me, are you?” He joked to Bobby, nudging his shoulder gently.

Bobby threw his head back and laughed loudly, the sound echoing around the deserted area. “I wouldn’t rid the world of someone so cute,” he teased back and winked at Hanbin’s flushing face.

“Oh, look,” he said suddenly, lifting his free hand to point at a building, “we’re here!” Hanbin stared at the brick walls, well-maintained and aged.

Bobby led them in and Hanbin gaped at how homely it was, dim lights and soft music with smiling workers. It wasn’t very crowded, but everyone who was there looked content.

“Bobby!” A worker called out, coming over to give him a one-armed hug him when his eyes flickered down to their tangled ones. “Is this Hanbin, the cute barista we’ve all been hearing about?”

“Ah, Minho,” Bobby exclaimed good-naturedly, “don’t ruin my cool image in front of Hanbin!”

Hanbin laughed quietly, covering his mouth with a hand as he snickered at his pouting date. “Your ‘cool image’?” Minho echoed back, “Can’t ruin something that was never there!”

Bobby rolled his eyes and turned to Hanbin. “Bin, this is my stupid best friend, Minho.” Hanbin waved at him and Minho fawned over him.

“He really is cute,” he cooed, Bobby swatting him away from Hanbin.

“Get your own date!” He protested, mock-angry. Another voice came from behind Minho, exasperated and fond.

“Stop harassing the customers and get to work, Minho!” A man with pouty lips and plush cheeks had his hands on his hips, looking at his co-worker flatly.

“Exactly as Seungyoon says!” Bobby jumped in, “Bring us to a table for two, waiter!”

Minho mocked bowed. “Right this way, gentlemen!” He winked at Seungyoon as they passed him and he snorted before going back to wiping the counter.

“Here you guys go,” Minho pulled out a chair for Hanbin and winked at him, “a special service for the young man.”

“What, I don’t get it too?” Bobby asked, grinning as Minho scoffed.

“Sorry, only cute ones get the Minho Special.” Hanbin smiled brightly and shook his head.

“Thank you,” he said sweetly and Minho ruffled his hair.

“A cute face and voice, you really struck gold, Bob!” Bobby took and seat and smiled dopily.

“I know,” he agreed, gazing fondly at the younger. Hanbin flushed in response and brought the menu Minho handed them up to hide his face.

Minho huffed, “I’ll leave you lovebirds alone then! Call my name when you’re ready to order!” He left after sending Bobby another wink for good luck.

Hanbin peeked out from his hiding spot. “This is a really nice place,” he complimented shyly.

Bobby puffed up proudly. “Right? I’ve been coming since forever and I really wanted to bring you here. They have the best pastries!”

Hanbin lit up. “Pastries?” He asked excitedly, “I love sweet foods – especially chocolate!”

“Then you’re in luck,” Bobby replied back, “another one of my friends, Yunhyeong, works as a baker here and he makes the most amazing chocolate lava cake.”

“I definitely want that,” Hanbin sighed out, stomach grumbling quietly at the thought.

Bobby laughed, “We’re ready to order then.”

As if by magic, Minho appeared by them again, whipping out a notebook and pen flamboyantly. “What can I get for you lovebirds?”

Bobby raised his fist mockingly, Minho cringing away from him over-exaggeratedly. “Yunhyeong’s special chocolate lava cake and my usual.”

Minho scoffed, “Not even a please? Fine then, I see how it is.” He huffed and marched into the back dramatically.


Hanbin watched the duo amusedly and spoke up after Minho left. “You guys are really good friends,” he commented admirably.

“We met in kindergarten,” Bobby recounted warmly, “pushed him to the ground when he stole my seat and we’ve been best friends since.” Hanbin closed his eyes and laughed loudly, missing Bobby’s lovesick glance.

Bobby cleared his throat, “But enough about me. I want to know more about you.”

“What do you want to know?” Hanbin asked, leaning his cheek against his palm as he stared at Bobby softly.

“Tell me something you love,” he answered back, reaching forward to place his hand on Hanbin’s free one.

“Well,” Hanbin started, “I’m pretty passionate about making music.”

Bobby’s eyes brightened when Hanbin finished speaking and he leaned forward excitedly. “Same! I write lyrics mostly, though.”

“I do. too!” Hanbin exclaimed back, unknowingly wriggling around in happiness, “I’ve made a few songs already, even if I call music a hobby.”

“Wow, seriously?” Hanbin nodded and Bobby smiled. “We should listen to them sometime, maybe even collab?”

“I would love to,” Hanbin gushed out.

The duo kept talking, so immersed in each other that they didn’t even notice Minho coming back with their pastries.

He looked at the two completely enraptured in each and set the sweets down quietly and tiptoed away.

“Oh,” Bobby said in surprise when he looked down, “when did our food get here?”

Hanbin looked mystified. “I don’t know,” he replied back as the scent of fresh, warm cake reached his nose, “but it smells incredible.”

They dug in, Hanbin out loud as he shoved spoonfuls of melty chocolate into his mouth.

“Good?” Bobby asked in amusement and Hanbin nodded, mouth full of cake.

The pair dug in, occasionally chatting about their interests and life as Seungyoon and Minho watched them like parents would their child’s first date.


-


After they cleared their plates of food, Bobby got up and extended a hand towards his date. “Let’s go,” he said, pulling Hanbin up and walking to the cash register where Seungyoon was standing.

“You guys leaving already?” He asked in disappointment.

Bobby laughed lightly, “We’ll come back another time, promise!” Hanbin smiled shyly at Bobby’s words.

Another time. That definitely meant Bobby wanted to go out on a second date with him.

“Fine,” Seungyoon sighed out dramatically as Bobby paid their bill and left the building, tugging Hanbin with him gently.

They walked down the darkened path and glanced at one another repeatedly.

“So,” Bobby broke the silence, “how’d you like it?”

“It was really fun,” Hanbin reassured him, “the food was amazing and… you were pretty amazing too.”

Bobby grinned and his eyes crinkled. “I could say the same.” Hanbin tightened his grip around Bobby’s bigger hand and felt his heart flutter, feeling a sense of dismay as they neared the coffee shop.

When they got to the door, Bobby turned to Hanbin and stepped closer, leaning in to press his lips gently against the younger’s cheek. “Let’s do this again,” he suggested quietly, placing his face directly in front of Hanbin’s and looking hopeful.

“Definitely,” Hanbin whispered back, taking a chance to dart forward and peck Bobby on the lips, pulling back and running into the café. “I’ll text you,” he called back at a flustered Bobby and closed the door, running to the back room where Jinhwan was.

The older was untying his apron when he spotted Hanbin and smirked at the pink dusting Hanbin’s cheeks. “Good date?” He asked and Hanbin nodded bashfully.

“Better than good,” he responded, feeling a wide smile pull at his cheeks.

Jinhwan sat down and patted the spot next to him, “Tell me all about it!”

Hanbin grinned and sat next to him to recount his very successful date.

He hoped there would be more in the future.