Babysitter's Return

I Kissed My Pretty Babysitter

My mom called me downstairs one Tuesday morning; as usual, calling 'She's here, Seulgi!' My cue to go to Wendy.

I dragged myself out of bed and sluggishly walked across the room to my closet. I dressed slowly, and was about to head just as tiredly down the stairs when I heard the babysitter speak.

'Yes, I'm glad to be back, Mrs. Kang. Thank you. How is your job going?' 

Irene!

I came to life instantly. I skipped down to the kitchen and raced over to Irene to give her a hug. 'I missed you!'

Irene smiled. 'I missed you too. How are you?' 

'I was very tired, but now that you came I feel better,' I assured her.

Everyone laughed, which confused me. 'It wasn't a joke.'

The laughter stopped. My mom said, 'Be careful and have fun, I have to go now. See you later!'

'Bye!' we both called.

As soon as mom was gone, I turned to give Irene a very shy kiss on the cheek. 'That's what the European ladies do. When they meet up with a lady friend.'

Irene laughed again. 'Europe is a very interesting place.'

I agreed. I thought Europe was a great place. So many countries, a different alphabet, a variety of accents. 'I want to go to Europe someday.'

'Maybe someday we can go,' Irene smiled.

We. Maybe someday we can go. Does she mean us, as in, me and her?

'When you're older,' Irene added.

Then she meant it! 'I'm old enough. I'm twelve.'

'I missed your birthday,' Irene said sadly. 'You got my card though, right?' 

I nodded. 'It was really nice. Thank you.'

'I don't think twelve is quite old enough....but close,' Irene said thoughtfully. 

I sighed. 'I feel like I'm too young for everything. Dying my hair, traveling, dating-'

'You're into dating already?' Irene asked in surprise. 'Aren't you a bit young for a boyfriend???oh, that was what you just said everyone told you....'

'Yeah,' I laughed. 'And I want a girlfriend. But same thing, it's still dating.'

'I had a girlfriend once,' Irene said, surprised yet again. 'Wendy.'

'That was my other babysitter!' I shouted.

'Really?' By now I Irene had reached her maximum surprise level. 'Hey, wanna play a board game?'

'Sure!' She probably didn't want to talk about her romance.

I was so excited over all of today's events.