ELEVEN

Settle Down

"...HAVE you gained weight?" I glare at the man before me, "I don't mean that in a bad way, you just look different, that's all."

I sigh heavily as I place the chopsticks on the table, "did you ask me here to discuss my weight?"

He chuckles. A smile naturally grace my face as I look back at him; his eyes are lit up like a Christmas tree, with crinkles at each side, and his wide shoulders jump slightly as he laughs happily at the question.

"Yah, it's my duty to worry about you," I roll my eyes, "I am your older brother after all, or did you forget how much of a baby you are now that you're a big shot lawyer."

That's right. I'm the youngest of four children, a fact that I try not to remember, as all three of my older brothers have made it their duty to constantly remind me of my rank in the family. Yuvan, is the youngest of the three brothers, so before I came along, he was the baby of the family, and to this day he's still a thorn in my side.

"How could I ever forget?" he makes a face at my sarcastic question, "how are Kian and Koe?" my other two brothers are identical twins, and they're also identically annoying.

"Busy with their married lives," he rolls his eyes, "I swear, every time they go out to sea, they choose to call me and complain about how much they miss their families."

I giggle, "that's because they think you understand what it's like," he frowns, "I'm serious. They're both in the Navy and spend a lot of time away. And you, are always on some clandestine mission with your SWF buddies."

Yuvan smiles proudly as he chews on a piece of bread, "what they should realize, is that the best way to do their jobs, is to remain single," I shake my head, "I'm serious Dhiah, I'm a SEAL, and when I'm not away, I'm stuck in Jinhae. I don't have the time for a family."

I stir my noodles mindlessly as I listen to him, "I guess. Are you happy?" he nod his head vigorously, "then I guess there's nothing to worry about."

He reaches over the table and ruffles my hair, "aigoo-"

"Yah!"

I slap his hand away and he laughs happily then took his seat, "I wanna see my niece. Is it okay if I pick her up later?" I nod my head as I continue to eat, "and how about dinner on Sunday? Will you come home?"

I swallow quickly, "why are you asking questions that you already know the answer to?"

Yuvan folds his arms against his chest, "our mother hasn't seen me in months, and I want to have dinner with you guys before I go off again," he leans forward, "and Dad misses you. Can't you and Mom just sit down and talk?"

I scoff, "so she can yell at me again? And besides, you know Mom only speaks in Iban when we're around, I've been using Korean so much I think I've forgotten most of the words," I stuff my wallet in my purse, "I won't give her another reason to be tough on me."

I stand to my feet, "lunch is on me today, I have to get back to the office."

GROWING up as the last of four children wasn't really that hard for me.

My parents loved and cherished all four of us equally, and we had a really stable environment where we felt safe and wanted. My father being the military man that he is, was overjoyed when the boys decided to follow in his footsteps, but when it was time for me to decide my career path, I had always hit a dead end.

I never thought about what is it that I had wanted to become while in high school, I just thought that I had had enough time to decide. And once that time rolled around, I was pushed into the legal field because everyone around me thought it was the natural thing to do.

After a while, I decided to just go with the decision, it's not like I had anything grand to lose at that age, and I grew to like studying law anyway. My decision to marry that bastard Kim Sun Jae wasn't questioned either, like I had told Kiseok a few weeks back, my parents really admired him.

But when I broke the news of my divorce, the relationship between my parents and I came tumbling down. My father didn't think I could handle raising Mi Cha alone, as in his eyes, I'm still a baby, and to this day he continues to push me into moving back home.

My mother on the other hand, loves Sun Jae as her own, and although I was a bit bitter about the cheating, I didn't want them to easily change their perception of him. So I kept the reason for the divorce a secret, and my mother somehow thinks that the separation is my fault. 

At this time in my life, I can't really handle my parents. I can just imagine their reaction if they were to know that I'm dating again. 

"...what did you and Uncle Yu do today Mi Cha-ah?" the three year old looks up at me as she sips orange juice from her cup, and shrugs, "you don't know?"

She places the cup on the vanity, "I don't know Mama."

I shake my head at her then continue to apply the finishing touches of make-up to my face, "are you sure?"

"I saw a firetruck, and the fireman ripped off his buttons, and, and then they honked the horn," I flash her a look of surprise, "Mommy I wanna be a fireman."

I pick her up as I head to the front door upon hearing a familiar chime, "really?" she nods her head as she toys with my necklace, "then you would be a firewoman."

The toddler flash me a look of confusion, "a firewinman?"

I chuckle at the pronunciation, "that's right baby."

We arrive at the foyer just in time to see Kiseok removing his shoes, my breath stills in my chest as I take in his appearance; his hair is styled so that his bangs cover his forehead entirely. Both his pants and shirt are dark, and fits him just the way I like it, and to top off his entire ensemble, is a red checkered lightweight coat.

The rapper looks as if he just walked right off a runway, not that I'm complaining or anything, since I'll have enough eye candy to give me a toothache.

"Pretty Uncle!" Mi Cha all but jumps out of my arms and into those of Kiseok's, "Pretty Uncle! Wha-what's your favourite dancer?"

Kiseok flashes me a look of uncertainty and I shrug in return, "well Pretty Mi Cha-"

"-dance?" I chuckle as the toddler interjects, "what's your favourite food?"

"Which one should I answer first?" Mi Cha ignores the question as she plays with his earrings, "can I think about it and get back to you?"

She laughs loudly as Kiseok walks over to me and places a kiss on my cheek, and his strong, manly scent immediately sends my heart into a frenzy.

"You look beautiful," his free hand sneakily pinches my and I gasp as he winks at me. His attention to my outfit makes the choice of this black and white pinstriped jumpsuit really worth it. 

"You clean up nice," he scoffs playfully at my comment, "I'll just grab some stuff then we can go."

So Hwimin finally got his night with Mi Cha after weeks of pestering me about it, the young producer even sent me daily pictures of the plant he has been growing, as a way to show me that he's responsible enough to watch my child for a few hours. Granted, taking care of a plant and babysitting a three year old will never be the same thing, but Kiseok asked me to have a little faith in Hwimin as he genuinely loves having Mi Cha around.

Kiseok had to literally drag me away from the apartment as I kept going over multiple things with the other half of the GroovyRoom duo, and Mi Cha didn't even spare us a backward glance as she headed straight for the play area the producer had set up. I'll admit that I am a bit antsy about tonight, for one, I haven't had a decent date night before Kiseok came along, and two, it happens to be on a school-work night.

However, all my reservations flew out the window when Kiseok pulled up at the Seoul Arts Center, "are here to see a musical?" he shakes his head, "the ballet?"

He smiles softly at me, "I remember you told me that it was once your favourite thing to do back in high school," I reach over the centre console and place a kiss on his lips, "you're welcome baby," he clears his throat, "but just so you know, it's opening night, so reporters will be here."

And that means getting our picture taken.

And it also means my unofficial introduction to the world as Simon Dominic's girlfriend.

THE snapping of pictures and shouting questions from reporters didn't really last forever as Kiseok and I hurried into the building. Prior to the start of the show, I mentally went through the nervous motions as I began to worry about the numerous articles that will be posted. 

But once the show began, I forgot about the outside world as I engrossed myself in the performances before me. Sadly, when it all came to a close, I didn't really want to leave as I was reminded of how much fun I had when I used to be a dancer.

My spirits were immediately lifted when Kiseok came to a stop at the Renaissance Hotel, "so I get dinner and a show?"

He looks down at me as we enter the Manhattan Grill & Bar, "only the best for you baby."

The ambiance of the interior captures my attention the moment I sit down, the cognac coloured wood matches perfectly with the dark blue leather, and once my awe vanishes, I immediately start to see price tags, "Kiseok-ah-"

"-don't start."

I open my mouth to argue but our waiter swoops in, "would you like to order?" I push my tongue against my cheek as Kiseok studies the menu, "or would you like a few minutes to decide?"

"Châteauneuf-du-Pape Pierre André​​​​​​," the rapper looks up at me at the sound of my perfect pronunciation,"the bottle please."

The waiter clears his throat, "ah, yes. I'll give you some time to decide on your meal."

He scurries off towards the back of the restaurant, "you speak French?" I play with the napkin, "c'mon babe..."

I sigh softly, "je parle un peu de français," he takes a deep breath, "what?"

"I have no idea what that means but it sounds so y coming from your lips," I roll my eyes at him, "why is it that every time I try to feed you, you worry about how much I'm spending?"

I lean forward, "I know it's your money, but you don't need to blow it all on me," I gesture with my index finger, "all of this is unnecessary Kiseok-ah, I don't need to be wined and dined to this extent."

His eyes don't leave my face, "you deserve it though," the waiter returns just in time with the chilled bottle of red wine and proceeds to pour some in our glasses.

And in all that time, Kiseok's eyes remains on my face, which only leads to me squirming nervously.

As soon as we make our order, I down the glass of wine and reach for the bottle, "don't you have work in the morning?" I ignore his playfully smirk, "don't drink too much babe," I nod my head as I take a sip, "and how did you know what wine to order without looking at the wine list?"

That one question was the catalyst that powered our night of me diving into my past, while drinking wine like it's a bottle of water, "my Dad has a lot of politician friends, and my Mom is a judge, I'm used to dinners in places like these."

Kiseok swallows his piece of steak, "then why are you so uncomfortable?" I shrug as I look down at my lap, "Dhi Ah."

"Because," I reach for my wine glass, "it reminds me of my parents," I take a hefty sip, "our relationship has grown sour over the past four years. I've been avoiding my father, and whenever my mother's the presiding judge on one of my cases, I always request for a change."

"Babe..." I shake my head, "...not tonight then."

The conversation takes a different direction, one that I have no control over, as all my topics come as a result of the alchohol in my system, "am I pretty Kiseok-ah?" 

The rapper smiles at me, "you're beautiful baby girl," I giggle at the nickname, "no more of that stuff," he reaches for my wine glass and I pull away then quickly down the thing in one go,"f**king hell."

I slouch in the chair, "I haven't felt beautiful since the divorce," I squint my eyes as I look up at him, "yo Simon Dominic..." he laughs, "...don't just date me and throw me away. I'll slap so many lawsuits on your as* that you'll be living at the courthouse."

"Okay baby," he reaches for the glass of water beside his empty plate.

I lean forward, "can I call you Simon when we have tonight?" he chokes on the liquid, "please let me choke on your like that."

"I think it's time we leave," he signals for a waiter and I smile as I admire his side profile, "if only I had known you're such a lightweight when it comes to wine..."

"I wanna ride your face," his eyes widen, "Kiseok-ah..." my eyes close momentarily as an unexpected wave of tiredness overcame me.

"Dhi Ah..." I open my eyes just in time to see the beautiful rapper helping me up from the chair, "...let's go home baby."

"Will we have all the ?" his hands quickly covers my mouth as we make our way to the exit.

"Only if you behave," I groan, "Jesus Christ, I've learnt my lesson."

I mumble incoherently as Kiseok secures me in the passenger seat of his luxury car, my forehead finds solace on the cool window as the engine starts and we drive off.

"Can I put your in my mouth?" I hear a sharp intake of breath, "is that a no?"

The rapper sighs deeply, "no more wine for you. Especially when I'm not there, I can't believe you get this frisky just from drinking that stuff."

I giggle softly, "I want you to f**k me so hard until I can't feel my legs, then, then I'll give you all the babies you want."

"Oh God. I should be recording this."

I snuggle into the car seat with my eyes closed, "yah Jung Kiseok," I shift my body as I try to get comfortable, "I'm so in love with you. I should've met you first, I would've been your wife by now."

Darkness engulfs me as I succumb to sleep, with no idea how the following day will play out, I sleep soundly on the drive home.