Invitation

Juliette

It had taken two years, but she was finally here. Pia was overwhelmed so she went to the lounge area to share the good news with her family. It was a happy call. Her sister said she would buy the album when it came out then convince her friends to. Her parents said they would hang her debut poster front and center in the living room. She ended the call with a smile on her face hoping that this feeling could last forever.
“What language is that?”, came a voice from behind her. She hadn’t heard someone else come into the lounge. It startled her, but she replied casually as she turned around, “Ah it’s Filipino”
Her voice trailed off because when she turned she was shocked to see Woojin standing at the door. Stray Kids had rarely been at the company since debut. Just like most JYP groups their popularity skyrocketed and after releasing their second album they had been on tour. So, when Pia saw Woojin she froze.
Woojin waved his hand at her, “Are you okay?”
She shook her head and bowed, “Hello sunbae.” Her mannerism was more polite than it previously was as she recovered from the initial shock.
“Hello”, he greeted her while staring at her as if trying to recall something. She felt a bit self conscious at all his staring. After all, she had just come back from practice prior to the meeting with JYP. “Hmm you look familiar… have we met?”
She nodded, “Yes briefly. I’m a fan.”
“Really? Ah no wonder”, then it registered. “You didn’t sneak in here did you?”
The shocked look on his face made Pia chuckle, “No, no that. I’m a trainee.”
“Oh, I see. How long have you been training?”, Woojin asked.
“Almost two years, but today JYP said he’ll start preparing us for debut.”
He awed in approval and gave her a thumbs up. She pulled a strand of hair behind her ear as she bowed a little in thanks. Then it was his turn to be shocked, “You!” he suddenly pointed at her. “You, your name?!”
Flustered at his sudden yelling she pointed quizzically at herself while answering, “My name is Pia.” He waved his hand as a signal to continue saying her entire name. “Pia Custodia.”
He clapped his hands together then approached her before circling around her in disbelief. “It is you. Wow you’re still really pretty.”
Pia was taken aback, “You remember me?”
“Of course. That was the first time I ever met someone as young and pretty as you. Not saying that now that you’re older you don’t look even prettier”, he continued to shower her with compliments. “I didn’t recognize you because you cut your hair and your Korean is really good now. Was it difficult?”
“A little..”, he looked at her noting the insincerity in her answer. “A lot”, she finally changed her answer. “It was very difficult, but now I’m debuting and it kind of feels all worth it.”
Suddenly Woojin put his hands on her shoulders, “You should celebrate”
“Huh?”
“You and your members should celebrate”, he reiterated.
“Oh no we have a lot of work to do before debut. We shouldn-”
“You’re right you will have a lot of work and it’s gonna be stressful. You’ve done well so far so go celebrate and blow off some steam before it gets busy.”
“I don’t know…”, Pia liked the idea, but Sara was strict when it came to practicing.
“Besides you said you’re a fan right? Chan always makes sure that we go out to blow off some stress. You guys should hang out with us.” Woojin could see how conflicted Pia was. He took his hands off her shoulders. He put his hands in his pockets, “We’re going to do karaoke at the place down the street. If you guys wanna join then text me.” Pia nodded then in realization looked in front of her. His hand was now out of his pocket and he held his phone out to her.
“Oh!”, she took it and put in her kakao. She rubbed her hands then the phone on her pants before handing it back. “Sorry, my palms sweat when I get nervous.”
“You’re nervous?”
“Uh.. no. I um- Actually you know what? I’m just gonna go check in with the rest of the members”, she started backing towards the door. “So, hopefully I’ll see you later.”
“Mhmm”, he smiled as he watched her slowly exiting. “See you tonight.”