Prologue

The End of It All

The alarms were blaring, lights strobing red in an urgent pattern. The entire facility was being shook by the impact of gunfire outside. Scientists were scrambling to save all of their research and destroying any evidence of their findings. They were being invaded. The final stronghold of the Terran army was about to fall. One young soldier was racing through the base, dodging frantic scientists and other soldiers rushing out to defend the base. Rushing through the maze of corridors and and different research pods until he found the right one. He was looking for the lead scientist. It was his duty to him to a security vehicle and have him taken to a safe location or if all else failed to kill him so that he could not be captured by the Army of New Terra. 
    Once he had finally found the correct person he quickly said “Sir, the enemy is destroying our defenses. It’s time for you to be evacuated.” 
    The scientist gave him a withering look and replied “Oh really, and here I thought the boys were just having a rough game of football.” 
“Really sir. I’m here to you off the premises.”
“Oh you fool! You really think that there is time for such a thing. Leaving isn’t an option for any of us. Here take this.” The lead scientist said as he a document tablet at the young officer. “Follow me.”
“But sir you’re meant to be following me.” The officer said almost dejectedly as he realized he wouldn’t be getting his way, and started to go after the scientist who had left him in his dust. As they bobbed and weaved through the complex they started to descend into the restricted section. Every few doors the lead scientist would have to stop and run a dna scan to enter the next area. “I’m sorry sir, but I don’t have clearance for this section.”
“For the love of god drop the sir. We’re all about to die you might as well call me Heechul. And I don’t give a damn if you have clearance! Being with me gives you clearance.” 
    Well alright, the young man thought, trying to ignore his curiosity to look into every room they passed. This section was so top secret that even talking about its existence could be very detrimental to your health. He had no clue what went on down here or why the scientist, why Heechul, was taking him so deep. A sudden blaze of fire erupted in the room they were passing and the officer on instinct jumped in front of Heechul to protect him.
“No need for heroics, they’re just sterilizing some of the inventions we don’t want the ANT’s getting their hands on.” Heechul said in passing as he input his dna into another door. This the young officer noticed was the final floor. They were at the very bottom of the facility now. Here there were no sirens, no flashing lights, and the sound of the battle raging outside was completely gone. 
    As soon as they entered the room Heechul started rushing from computer to computer turning everything on and imputing codes and information. In the center of the room there was a large tube like structure that began to light up an eerie shade of blue. “Heechul I’ve followed you this far but you have to tell me what’s going on. I’ve completely disregarded my superiors orders by following you here. That could mean death!” The young man said flinging his arms in the air in a sign of frustration. 
“We’re all dead already, or did you not hear me the first time? Well at least most of us are. And keep that document tablet safe. It’s more important than you are at this point. Now start stripping.”
“Excuse me sir.” 
“I said remove your clothing you’re not going to need it for a while where you’re going.”
“And where exactly might that be?” The officer asked in frustration.
“There.” Heechul said in exastburation gesturing toward the tube like object. “It’s a highly classified project nicknamed Project Iceman. It’s a cryogenics pod. It’s been tested a few times but only ever on young, healthy men, but its worked every time. We have no idea what it might do to an aging body. That’s why I’m sending you and not just going myself. Now strip or do you want your clothes to fuse with your skin?”
    With that the officer began to quickly undress, finally understanding the situation. “You mean to freeze me? But what about the ANT’s they will just find me once they’ve invaded the building, and if not when will I be woken up and by whom?” A million questions were whirling through his mind, but he could only get so many out before Heechul started pushing him toward the cryogenics pod. 
“All of that’s for me to worry about. Now you... What’s your name?”
“Kim, sir. Jongin Kim.” The tanned you man said as he stepped into the pod, still a little in shock of what was about to happen.
“Well Jongin Kim you just stand there and look pretty while I finish running the settings. Oh and put that tablet in the shelf above your head. Wouldn’t want it fusing to your skin now would we.”
Jongin carefully placed the tablet were he was prompted and stood awkwardly at attention while waiting for his final orders. “Alright now this is going to hurt like a , but you won’t be awake for too long.” Heechul said “Now protect that tablet with your life. It has the plans for essentially an anti-ANT machine. Don’t worry about the technicalities of it all just get it to a scientist as soon as you are awakened. Now are you ready?”
“Yes, sir!” Jongin said standing at formal attention, closing his eyes and waiting. Then it hit and it did indeed hurt like a .