Love Story To Begin With

Almost A Change (Love Story To Begin With)

Epilogue

When Hongbin got inside his dormitory, the phone inside his pocket rings and vibrates, slightly giving a tease to his. He fished the phone out, and the screen shows an unregistered number calling. He immediately answers it and put the phone to his ear.

“Hello?” Hongbin asks.

[ thank god, someone got it... ]

If it was his voice, holy , did it sound so pulling. Like some kind of spell or mantra being cast over Hongbin's ears.

“Are you the owner of this phone?”

[ yes, yes, yes. Me and my son is the screensaver of my phone, if you were to ask for verification ]

Aw. Confirmed. He's a married man.

“No need. You can have your phone back on Sat.” Hongbin says. Well, he can meet him tomorrow immediately, it's just that, he doesn't want to appear so giddy. One more thing, there's no chance. “I'll beep you for a place.”

[ yeah, great. See you, then... ]

The line through him ended. Like the happiest minutes of his life ended too.

That's three days before he can finally meet him personally.

Thursday and Friday passed like a century.

Hongbin woke up in Saturday morning with bittersweet taste on the tip of his tongue.

Sweet in a way that he'll gonna meet him for a few hours.

Bitter that, that's the only time he can meet him again.

Wearing his washed peach colored tee with an autumn colored cardigan over his shirt, dark jeans and a semi worn out chucks, Hongbin got out of his dorm room with his hands on his pockets.

Looking and feeling like a boyfriend-next-door, he went to DayLight Café a little earlier. Sat by the glass wall in a table for two, he fished the phone out from his pocket and stare at the man's photo with his son.

He looks so happy with his son. His son too, is happy with him. The picture of them almost conveyed a happy family when Hongbin realizes that, the man this man met back near the bus stop isn't in the photo.

Why?

Maybe, they aren't in good terms? Separated? Hell no! Stop thinking like this, Hongbin. He says to himself. Such a selfish thought.

It is when the man finally strides inside the cafe and look around. Hongbin got wonderstruck again. Statued on his seat. Eyes only appreciating the goddess inside the cafe. When he realized that the man doesn't know what Hongbin look like, he waves his hand a bit in the air until the man spots him and walks towards his table.

If this was some part of a movie, maybe, this is the part where the magic happens.

It was like everything was fast forwarded. Hongbin could imagine his life with him. Giving the man's first son a group of siblings. And they lived together in a complete happy family.

“Hi!”

His voice, it sounded more surreal in person.

Hongbin was snap from his fast forward reverie, he shook his head a little. “Hi!” He greets back. “Sit.” He says while gesturing at the chair across.

The man sits on it and looks up to Hongbin and smiles.

Awkward.

“Ahh!” exclaims Hongbin, as if a bulb was lit on his head. He gave the phone back to the man. “Here.”

Their fingers slightly touched each other and Hongbin almost melt over his chair.

“Thank you.”

“Uhmm...I guess, I have to go now...” Hongbin says, trailing off in purpose. Giving the man a chance to stop him.

“Wait-!” The man stops him. “May we have some coffee first? My treat. As a thanks.” The man says with his puppy eyes and god, did he looks so cute. Hongbin could only admire him.

“No need.” replies Hongbin. Damn stupid, Hongbin.

“I insist, please?”

Heck yes, he looked so flush when he begs. Hongbin felt his own cheeks flush too. So he nods even before it could get worse.

The waiter got their orders, the man orders for Hongbin. The man insists it should be extravagant for today. Being pushy is somehow the man's trait, Hongbin concluded.

“So...” the man says with an awkward sigh. And Hongbin found it cute. “I'm Hakyeon.”

His name too, somehow, portrays a cute and firm person.

“Hongbin.” Hongbin says, accepting Hakyeon's hand for shake. Darn, it's so warm. He couldn't let go of Hakyeon's hand. Their hands maybe stayed like that a little longer for what is necessary, Hongbin could care less. Until Hakyeon got his hand away from Hongbin's grasp.

“I'm really thankful that you got my phone. It has a lot of photos of me and my son, and in fact, I saved here my school e-files.” explains Hakyeon.

School e-files? Hongbin asks his mind. What does that mean?

“You still studying?”

“Yes, I stopped for a year when I got pregnant with Hawoon. And I got back as a returnee after Hawoon was born.” narrates Hakyeon. “This is my last year, though.”

“That's great!” Hongbin remarks.

“You...how about you?”

“Same here, last year, finally.” Hongbin answers non-chalantly. There's still a question inside his head he couldn't get out to say in words. “So I was-”

“Two wintermelon for two great guys.” says the waiter, interrupting what was Hongbin's about to ask.

“Thank you.” Hakyeon says, and the waiter leaves. “You were saying...”

Hongbin looked up from his drink, meeting Hakyeon's eyes. “Your husband.”

Hongbin could tell Hakyeon was unprepared to hear those words because his teeth bit on his straw, as if contemplating if he will act like he didn't hear Hongbin at all. But Hongbin isn't buying it.

“You mean, my son's dad?” Son's dad? Hongbin got confused one more time. “We're not a couple nor married. It's just an accident. Y'know, high school .”

Hongbin's first reaction was, YES! But then...

He could hear the bitter taste from Hakyeon's words, as if, it was the greatest mistake he'd ever done.

“Well, I couldn't regret more, Hawoon is an angel given to me by some stupid mistake.”

They fell into silent and only drank their cold smoothies. Until they bid goodbye, Hongbin asking for a photo with him. At first, Hakyeon was reluctant but Hongbin is persistent, so they end up taking a photo in Hongbin's phone.

Now, Hongbin could change the template wallpaper and screensaver of his phone by the picture with Hakyeon.

Tuesday came; Hongbin woke up with a message from an unknown ID. Once he opened it, his morning shines even brighter. He couldn't sulk more for the past three days hearing nothing from Hakyeon because now, it's a message from him asking if they can meet again at DayLight Café on Saturday. Hongbin immediately said yes, of course. Now that, he knew Hakyeon is open for dating.

He went to school; Hongbin couldn't focus on the lesson. Sanghyuk snaps him out of his trance.

“What are you?”

“Huh?” Hongbin asks back.

“You two get out!”

The two get out from the room, finding their seats along the stairs.

“Did something happened?”

“Yes...” Hongbin answers his friend's query.

“What?”

“If someone asks you out for a coffee, does that mean anything?” Hongbin asks, clueless.

“That someone is asking you out...” Sanghyuk trails off, teasing his friend.

“Out...?” Hongbin asks a little rush, can't wait for what was Sanghyuk's about to say.

“...in a date.”

Silence.

“Hey, I said, that someone is asking you out for a date.” Sanghyuk says it once again.

“Are you sure?” Hongbin asks for the second time.

“Coffee doesn't only mean coffee, nowadays, it's a secret code to asks someone out for a date.” answers Sanghyuk. “Hashtag, COCOO. Coffee coffee only.”

Saturday came, Hongbin got there a while earlier again. Always patient to wait for Hakyeon. Until he came...with his son.

“Hi, uncle Hongbin.” The child greets him, first thing as first.

Hongbin couldn't hold his smile back. “Hey, champ. Wassup?”

“I got stars here, look!” The child held his arm stretch, showing the stars stamped on his fair-caramel skin. Mybe, a mix of Hakyeon's and the child's dad.

Hongbin giddily looked at it, making a child-like reactions that got a child-like braggart reaction back. Hongbin looked up to Hakyeon who's smiling at them.

And their COCOO meet ups continues, sometimes becoming a dinner outside somewhere in a family-type restaurant. In great days, Hakyeon would invite him over and Hongbin stayed up in Hakyeon's crib playing with Hawoon while Hakyeon prepares food for them.

Somehow, their story continues to an even more intimate relationship.

THE END

---

Hope you guys like it~