Chapter 15: Happy

At the Heart of Justice

Naomi Misora was, by nature, an organized planner.  She followed a simple, orderly morning routine.  She made her bed every day.  She picked out her outfits the night before.  Her space, no matter how big or small, was always neat and tidy.

Which is why it totally stressed her out to have clothes strewn haphazardly all over her bed and several pairs of shoes scattered here and there on the floor.

It had been too long since she'd been on a date and she was currently trying on her seventh outfit.  Her dress pants looked too professional, her black dress was too formal, another one was too casual... too summery, too wintery, and "Why do I even have this??"

She zipped up the back of her charcoal-grey, A-line dress with the three-quarter length sleeves and turned to inspect her reflection.  The dress was simple and yet very becoming with its high neckline and deep-V back that clasped just below her shoulder blades.  It was fitted with a thin, red belt at the waist, showing off her feminine figure, and floated away into a knee-length skirt.  She had curled just the very ends of her long, black hair and for the first time in a long time, she had put on makeup.

Satisfied at last with her appearance, she selected a pair of simple black heels and slipped them on before leaving her room.

L was on his way back from the suite's little kitchen with a doughnut pinched between his thumb and index finger.  He stopped when he saw her.

Watari, who was washing dishes, looked up.

Naomi smiled self-consciously.  She gestured her arms outward dramatically. "What do you think?" 

L stared at her.  His eyes moved down to her feet and then back up again.  Then, he looked down at the floor and shrugged.  "Don't ask me," he said plainly as he took a bite of the doughnut.  "I'm bad at this." 

Naomi tipped her head to the side and pursed her lips together, putting a hand to her hip.  Apparently, he was still cranky.

"I think you look lovely," Watari quipped, his eyes narrowing toward L.

Naomi grinned.  "Thank you!  It's been awhile since I've gotten to dress up."

L shoved the rest of the doughnut into his mouth and brushed past her.  Naomi looked toward him and then to Watari, who offered her an apologetic look.  She smiled and shrugged.

"Have a nice time," Watari said kindly as she left, closing the door behind her.

Raye was waiting for her in the lobby.  He looked really sharp in a deep red dress shirt tucked into dark blue jeans.  He smiled broadly when he saw her.

"Wow.  You look... amazing," he complimented.

Naomi grinned.  Then she looked at his shirt and smiled even bigger, bringing her hand to .

Raye looked down at himself.  "What?  Oh god, is there a stain on my shirt or something?"

Naomi shook her head, laughing a little.  "No, no... I was just remembering that I got you that shirt for your birthday."

Raye looked up again and relaxed into a smile.  "Oh... I completely forgot!"

He gestured for her to step through the hotel's revolving doors before him and they began the short walk to the restaurant.  The evening was warm and alive with the sounds of city nightlife.  They walked together, chatting easily, his hands in his pockets and hers clasped primly behind her back.

They reached the restaurant and stepped inside.  It was an upscale place, but it wasn't stuffy or overly gourmet.  The atmosphere was lighthearted with an air of class.  It was one big room with tables for two set up in the center and tables for larger parties along the perimeter.  The bar lined one wall and the shelves behind it were illuminated by green and yellow lights.

Raye had made a reservation and they were promptly shown to their table.

The evening passed easily.  They talked like two old friends, inquiring about each other's families and sharing memories of days that somehow felt like yesterday and a lifetime ago all at once.

When at last dinner was finished and the dishes were cleared away, they ordered coffees, not in a hurry to leave.

Raye leaned forward with his arms crossed on the table.  "So.  Did I tell you I bought a house?"

Naomi, who was sitting comfortably with one leg crossed over her knee and her coffee cup in both hands, answered, "No, you didn't!  Congratulations!  What's it like?"

"Thanks," Raye said, taking a sip of his coffee and then setting down the mug.  "It's nice.  Spacious but not too big.  It's a little outside the city, but close enough that commuting isn't a nuisance."

"Oh, that's nice!"

"Yeah, I like it better than living in the city."  He looked down into his coffee and started tracing the handle with his finger.  "I think you'd like it."

Naomi looked down too.  She knew where he was going with this.

Raye went on, talking softly.  "It's got a porch swing like you said you always wanted."

A smile played with the edges of Naomi's lips but she didn't look up.  She remembered saying that.

"And it's got a laundry chute," Raye chuckled.  "Remember how we used to talk to each other through the one at my parents' beach house?"

Naomi laughed a little and nodded, placing her elbow on the back of the chair and resting her head in her hand.  Those were happy times.

Then Raye looked up and Naomi lifted her eyes to meet his.  She saw what she had expected but hadn't wanted to see.  A look of regret.  A pleading look, looking for even the tiniest hope of a second chance. 

"I miss you so much," he said quietly.

Naomi swallowed the lump in .  "Raye, please-"

"I have to say it, Naomi."  Raye swallowed hard.  "Letting you go was the stupidest thing I've ever done."

"No, it wasn't," she said softly, shaking her head.  "We want different things, Raye.  You know that."

He looked down again.  When he didn't answer, Naomi went on.

"You need to be with someone who wants what you want.  Someone who will be happy to keep a home and raise a family."  She leaned forward and took one of his hands in both of hers.  His sad, blue eyes looked up.  Naomi swallowed.  "I wouldn't be happy with that life.  Not in the long run."

He searched her face for what seemed like a long time.  Then he nodded slowly.  "Okay."

Naomi smiled and leaned back again, picking up her mug and taking a long sip.

"Just... tell me you're happy," Raye said.

She looked at him sincerely.  "I am happy.  I promise."

He nodded but looked unconvinced.  "It's just... well, it seems like you're working with some real weirdos."

Naomi's brow furrowed.  "Weirdos?"

Raye scoffed.  "Okay, don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about."

Of course she knew who he was talking about.  She just wasn't sure if she was okay with the use of the word "weirdo."

She shook her head and waved a hand casually.  "He's just eccentric."

Raye lifted his eyebrows.  "Is that what you call it?"

Naomi squirmed in her seat.  She didn't like this conversation.  "Okay, he's... he's weird, yes.  But he's smart- brilliant, actually- and he's very good at his job.  In fact," she added, smiling to herself over the irony, "you could say he's the best."

"Is that so..." Raye said slowly.

"Yes, and he's stronger than he looks.  He can fight pretty well.  And-"

"Naomi."

"What?"

Raye folded his hands on top of the table.  "I was going to ask if there was someone else in your life.  I'm not sure I need to now."

Naomi's mouth opened to protest but Raye held up a hand.

"I know you," he said quietly.

Naomi lifted her chin stubbornly.  "Well, we work together.  That is all."

Raye chuckled and shook his head.  He motioned toward the waiter to bring the check.

They walked back to the hotel, both of them sensing the nearness of their farewell.  They stopped when they reached the hotel's entrance. 

Naomi turned to face Raye.  "I had a really nice time," she said, smiling up at him.

"Me too," he said.  His hands were in his pockets as he looked down at her upturned face.

There was a silence between them.  As if each knew that as soon as it was broken, they'd be going their separate ways.  Forever.

Naomi swallowed.  She saw it in his eyes.  He wanted to kiss her.  And for a fleeting second, she wanted him to.

But as she searched the face of the man she once loved, she saw only a past full of memories.  Good memories, mostly; ones she would always look back upon fondly. 

But that was all.  There was no future for her with Raye Penber and she knew that.  His part in her story had ended.

She looked down at her hands and spoke, breaking the spell.

"Thank you for dinner."

"Of course," he said softly.

Then she looked up at him again.  She reached her hand out to take his in a parting handshake.

"I hope you find someone to share that porch swing with," she said fondly.

Raye smiled.  His finger lifted to tap the end of her nose one last time.  "Goodbye, Naomi Misora."

His arms gathered her into a final hug and then he was gone.

She stood and watched him walk away until he disappeared into the sidewalk of people and the busyness of the city lights.  She turned and stepped into the hotel lobby.

She walked past the elevators and through the automatic glass doors that led out to the large patio area.  The lights from the in-ground pool cast a blue, watery glow on everything surrounding it and a stone fire pit containing dying embers sat abandoned and surrounded by chairs.  Naomi walked over to the railing and crossed her arms on top of it, looking out over the darkness of the Pacific Ocean before her and listening to the gentle crashing of waves.  She stood there for awhile, lost in her thoughts and contemplating her life.  And despite the sadness that so often accompanies a goodbye, she knew deep down that she truly was content.

Just then, something small plunked her on the head.  She looked up into the night sky and then down at the ground to see what had hit her.  Lying at her feet was a small cookie, no larger than a silver dollar.  She bent to pick it up.  It was shaped like a panda.

Another one hit her and bounced to the ground.  She turned and looked up- way up- to the penthouse balcony where L stood, looking down at her.

Naomi grinned.  "What are you doing?" she called up to him.

L leaned forward and put a hand to his ear.

Naomi repeated herself louder.

He leaned back again and shrugged, popping a panda cookie into his mouth and staring down at her.

Naomi laughed.  She cupped her hands over .  "Do you want to take a walk?"

L shrugged and tapped his ear again.

Naomi turned and pointed toward the beach, then looked up again.

L looked to where she was pointing and then back down at her.  She motioned for him to come down.  When he hesitated, she formed a megaphone with her hands again.

"Come on!  You don't even have to wear shoes!"

L's hand traveled from the bright pink bag pinched between his fingers to his mouth.  He just stared at her.  She beckoned one more time.  He flicked another cookie down at her and turned, disappearing into the penthouse suite.

She bent to pick up the scattered pandas and tossed them into a nearby bin.  Soon after, the automatic doors slid open and L walked out onto the patio, hands pocketed.  He wasn't wearing shoes.

"So you could hear me," Naomi said slyly.

A corner of L's mouth lifted.  His toes fidgeted on the top of his other foot.  He just stood, looking at her through the shaggy pieces of hair that always fell in his eyes.

His mood didn't seem so bad now.

Naomi turned to open the little metal gate and they stepped off the patio and onto the cool, dry sand.  Naomi paused to remove her heels and L bent to roll up the bottoms of his jeans.  They walked along the beach quietly for a few moments, keeping a short distance from the icy cold water. 

"How was it?" L finally asked.

Naomi looked over at him.  His eyes were downcast and his hands were pocketed.

"It was good," she said evenly, lowering her gaze again.  "It was nice to catch up."

L nodded but made no reply.  He listlessly kicked at the sand as he walked.

Naomi went on.  "It was kind of strange, too, though.  He..."

Naomi stopped and checked herself.  L probably didn't want to hear all about it.

L lifted his head to look at her.  "He what?"

Naomi sighed.  "Well, I think a part of him was hoping I'd change my mind."

L looked down again.

"But he wants a... a wife, you know... someone who will cook and care for a home and look after his kids.  And there was a time I thought I wanted that too..."

Her voice drifted off thoughtfully for a moment before continuing.  L just listened, his eyes on the sand.

"And it wasn't until we started looking at houses in the suburbs and talking about baby names that I realized... I didn't really want those things.  You know?  It was like too much of me was disappearing.  I remember feeling sick to my stomach the day I traded my motorcycle in for a more family-friendly vehicle."  She laughed slightly.  "I know it sounds silly..."  She turned her head to look toward the ocean, a gentle wind playing with the curled ends of her hair.  "...but, man, I miss that bike."  Her voice trailed off again.

Then, she waved a hand in the air, brushing it off. They walked in silence, the sound of the waves rising and falling softly and rhythmically.  Sounds of conversation and laughter drifted through the air and lively music was coming from someplace nearby.

"L?"

"Hmm?"

"I realized something tonight."

She stopped walking and turned to look out at the water.  He did the same.

"I realized that I'm really happy."  She turned her head to smile at him.  "I love my job and I'm really happy with my life.  And I have you to thank for that."

L's wide, insomniac eyes looked at her steadily.  "Well, that's good.  I'm glad," he said simply. 

She turned to look straight ahead again but his gaze dropped.  He played lightly in the sand with his toes.

"Um, what I said before..." he began and Naomi looked at him.  "It's true.  I'm bad at this... I'm not good with... girls.  Or... dresses or whatever."  He lifted a hand and fluttered it in the air.  "But... I do like this on you."  He gestured toward her and shrugged.  "It's nice."

Naomi smiled at him, the calmness in her voice not at all reflecting the butterflies inside her that were suddenly all out of control again.  "Thank you.  That's really sweet."

L returned to kicking the sand and his fingers drummed on his thighs from inside his pockets.  He looked up at the water.  "After you left, Watari told me I may have upset you.  Did I?"  He spoke plainly and his gaze was fixed on the ocean.  He was transparently uncomfortable and Naomi knew how difficult it was for him to talk like this.

"I wasn't upset," she said simply.  Then she laughed a little to lighten the mood.  "But just some advice... say something next time a girl asks you how she looks!"

L nodded once.  "Alright."

They turned and began walking again.

All of a sudden, the sky above the Santa Monica Pier before them burst into color and light and L and Naomi looked up as the night sky illuminated with fireworks.

"There must be something going on tonight," Naomi commented.  "It's a bit rowdier at the pier than usual and some people in town were wearing costumes and stuff."

"It's Halloween," L pointed out.

Naomi suddenly felt stupid.  "Ohhh!  Wow, I completely forgot!"  Then she looked at him and wrinkled her nose.  "Wait- since when do you pay attention to holidays?"

L kicked at the sand.  "It's also my birthday."

Naomi stopped and grabbed his arm.  He tensed immediately and looked down at her hand, then at her.

"It's your birthday??  Why didn't you tell me!?"  She let go and smacked his arm lightly with the back of her hand.

L had a look of confused shock on his face.  "Did you... need to know?" he asked dumbly.

Naomi laughed and put a hand on her hip, smiling.  "Happy Birthday," she said, grinning.

L shrugged and went back to tracing the sand with his toes.  A warm, salty breeze tugged at the ends of his crazy hair and white shirt.  "Actually, I don't know what day I was born," he said.  "October 31st is just an estimate."  He spoke the words, not as to elicit sympathy, but simply as a statement of fact.

Naomi had never asked L about his past before.  She wasn't sure if she ever should.  But, caught up in the moment, she carefully ventured, "So... did you know your parents?"

"No, I never knew them."

"Oh.  What do you know about them?"

L shrugged.  "Nothing.  No one knows who they were... or are.  I don't know.  I've looked for them, but it's nearly impossible without anything to go on.  I didn't even have a name until Watari-"  He stopped abruptly, surprising himself with how much he had just shared with her.  He had never spoken about those things to anyone.  He looked uneasily at Naomi, the bursts of color from the fireworks reflecting in his large, almost-black eyes.  "We should head back," he said.

He turned and, for the second time that night, Naomi watched a man walk on ahead of her. 

But this time was different. 

This one turned to look over his shoulder and ask, "Are you coming?"

Naomi was not usually one to read deep into the meaning of things but, given the events that had transpired that evening, his question seemed symbolic, somehow.

She smiled.

"Yes, I'm coming."

And she stepped up to walk beside him.