Accident

Chance

Yoojung had just barely made it into the football team. It was nice to know that playing every other weekend with Chungha was worth it, even if Somi had a multitude of photos from Yoojung getting hit in the face with footballs, or Yoojung tripping over her feet. She had improved enough to be able to play on a team! ..Okay, to tell the truth, it might’ve been because Somi managed to trip Park Joy during tryouts, and how she managed to trip the senior without any notice from the coach and captain was a wonder, but Yoojung wouldn’t question it. Even if Joy and her band of senior friends would give sour looks at her friend, it felt amazing to be actually be able to play.

The school bell chimed, ending her train of thought and simultaneously ending the school day. Full of excitement, she started packing up her textbooks and her pencil case, eager to make it to practice after school. Trying her hardest to speed walk without bumping into anyone, the tiny girl weaved through the crowds of people, managing to arrive at her locker without stepping on any feet. Pulling her gym bag out of the messy contents and grabbing her math textbook for later, she shut the metal door and her heel to head to the locker rooms.

“Ya! Yoojung!” An excited voice shrieks, and poor Yoojung doesn’t have time to react as the owner of the voice tackled her midrift in a hug, knocking the textbook out of her arms, “Are you excited for our first practice? They say the captain is scary in practice but I don’t think so, in fact-“

“Jeon Somi!” Jieqiong called after the younger girl, slightly out of breath from chasing her,”Just because Yoojung isn’t in our class anymore, does NOT mean you can chase after her every time you see her in the hallway! Even if you blame it on seperation anxiety!”

“I miss her, is that so bad?” Somi demands, sticking her tongue out at the older girl, “Besides, you don’t have to run after me, Mina and Yeonjung are doing just fine with walking after me!”

The mentioned duo had just caught up to the trio, casually sharing pepero between the two of them as Yeonjung spoke up, “After she ran about 300 meters just to ask a man where he bought his jellies, we learned our lesson.

“We’d only run after Somi if she ran because of something life threatening.” Mina added, stuffing pepero by the double into , not pausing for a second.

“Yeah, like death or that captain of the Volleyball team or- H-hey! Kang Mina! Don’t finish my pepero you brat-“

Not wanting to be late, Somi and Yoojung bid their goodbyes to the quarrelling pair and Jieqiong, who looked like she was trying to decide whether to laugh at Mina stuffing six sticks of pepero in to keep them away from Yeonjung, or to break them up and not have them fight in the hallway.

Grabbing Yoojung by the hand as she scooped up her fallen textbook, Somi took off in a sprint towards the locker room, stepping on about six pairs of feet in the process, leaving the shorter girl to shout apologies over her shoulder. It was the first week of school and Yoojung, who was usually caught up with Somi’s antics, looked like she made enemies of at least three senior students. The glares they gave the pair as they ran through school were terrifying, but the younger girl didn’t seem to care.

“Let’s be earlier! I want to show you the scary-but-not-scary captain that everyone talks about, Dahyun unnie told me about her.” Somi turned back to say, and grinned as she took a sharp turn at the end of the hallway, almost slamming the older girl into a row of lockers.

Just barely making it to the locker rooms in one piece, Somi practically threw her uniform off in an attempt to change faster, hitting the other girl in the face with her shirt, but only delayed the pair because the younger girl couldn’t find her school tie. The poor girl looked terrified about losing her tie, because being Jeon Somi, she already lost the other three ties that she owned. After 20 minutes passed without any sign of the lost tie, and with 7 minutes to go until practice started, the younger of the pair ushered Yoojung out of the room, insisting to stay and look for her last tie, but refusing to let Yoojung be late, despite her protests and wanting to help her friend.

“It’s a waste of the hard work at tryouts if you’re late!” Somi exclaims, grinning while practically pushing Yoojung out into the field as she ran back in.

Sighing, the shorter girl turned and walked towards the field, where most of the team were already gathered. In the short distance, she could see the short haired captain talking to Chungha, who gave her a smile and a tiny wave of her hand. Around them were Somi’s childhood friends Dahyun and Jeongyeon, who stuck out like two sore thumbs due to their eccentric personalities, and two of Park Joy’s friends, who for her life she couldn’t remember their names. The taller of the pair seemed gentle and friendly enough, and was the only one of Joy’s four friends who never glared at Somi, and instead gave her cheerul eye smiles. Yoojung made a mental note to ask for her name from Chungha.

Walking faster to not be late to her first practice, Yoojung had just barely stepped onto the field before lying facedown on the floor.

Ouch.

Groaning in pain, she grabbed at her face in an attempt to relieve any kind of pain, but to no avail. Something had hit her with a tremendous amount of force, something hard and heavy. There was a huge throbbing on her cheek and on , and it felt like her cheek would bruise. She turned over on her back and expected to have the sun hit her eyes, but the strong light was blocked out by someone unfamiliar hovering over her. This wasn’t anyone she was looking at in the field just now, so Yoojung had no idea who this could be. Oh, but she was pretty. That’s all she could gather between her head throbbing and the face being about five centimeters away from the stranger.

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to do that!” the owner of the mysterious body looming over her says, “I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay,” Yoojung tries to say, but it comes out more like “Ith okay”

Before the mysterious pretty girl could answer back, the rapid steps of one Jeon Somi could be heard as she ran towards her friend worried, calling out, “Yoojung! I found my tie, it was on top of the- Oh my gosh, are you okay? Why do you have a pretty person on top of your face?!”

“I jutht got knocked down Thomi, I’m okay-“ Yoojung started, sitting up with the help of the pretty person. Along with Somi picking up her pace, she could see the captain and Chungha jogging towards her. How embarassing; her first day and she got semi knocked out by someone. She’ll never live this down.

Somi halted right in front of Yoojung, with Chungha over her shoulder and the football captain standing behind her. Her friend took a closer look at her face before turning pale.

“Oh my god, your tooth!”

-

“I’m so so so sorry!” The girl apologized, for the about seventh time. The pair were on the way to the principals office, with the taller girl’s arms wrapped around the shorter to support her, even when Yoojung insisted that she could walk on her own. Although, she’s not complaining. Being this close to a pretty girl? Made losing her tooth almost worth it.

“I’m kind oth clumthy, it wouldth happened onth in my lifth anyway.” Yoojung tried to say through all of the tissue in , which was an attempt from Somi to stop the bleeding, “And you didn’t hath to walk me, I can walk jutht fine, and I’m getting blood on your cheer unithorm..”

“Nonsense, it’s fine.” The other girl waved off, although the fountain of blood pouring from Yoojung’s mouth and onto both of their clothes said otherwise, “It’s my fault you ended up like this, and it was for a stupid reason too.. It’s because Sana laughed at Irene for not growing at all over summer, and Irene looked grumpy so I told Sana that if she could laugh at Irene for being short, I could laugh at her for flirting with everyone but never being able to get a girlfriend. Then Sana got pissed and threw her shoe at me, and in turn I threw my water bottle at her, which was filled to the brim with water and made of heavy plastic, so it would’ve hurt more than the shoe she threw at me, but she dodged and it hit you- Oh, we’re here.”

The girl trailing off and rambling about how everything happened was strangely endearing, and she didn’t want to be at the office just yet, but here they were. The pair peeked inside, but the principal seemed preoccupied by talking to someone else.

“Oh.. it looks like someone is inside. Let’s wait a bit,” The other girl gestured to the bench outside of the office, and the two girls sat down. After a couple of seconds of silence, Yoojung spoke up.

“Whath your name?” She inquired, trying to make her words as clear as possible through all the tissue. She at least wanted to know the name of the girl who nearly knocked her out.

“I completely forgot to introduce myself!” The taller girl gasped, and then laughed, “Well, to be honest I didn’t have much time between assaulting you and bringing you here. I’m really sorry about that. I’m Kim Doyeon.”

Yoojung had to quickly check which of her hands had less blood before reaching out to shake Doyeon’s hand, before introducing herself.

“I’m Thoi Yoothung.” Yoojung tried, her voice muffled through the tissue covering her currently missing front tooth and chipped top tooth. God, she hoped her family insurance could cover this. She didn’t want to walk around with a tooth and a half missing.

“Nice to meet you..” Doyeon started, pausing before starting into a giggling fit, “Thoi Yoothung.”

Yoojung’s face fell, and the taller girl must’ve noticed Yoojung’s pout at the pronounciation of her name, because after she looked at the other girl’s face, she smiled before saying, “It’s okay Yoojung, I understood you. You’re cute when you pout.”

Yoojung would’ve continued the conversation but as she opened to speak again, she was interrupted by the door to the principal’s office opening, and the departure of a senior student with bangs with the principal himself peeking out. He bid goodbye to the senior before noticing the pair of girls and his face paling at the sight of seven tissues stuffed in Yoojung’s mouth.

“W-What happened to you Ms. Choi?!” He stammered, looking between Doyeon and Yoojung for an explanation. He looked like he could see all the paperwork involved with fighting within school grounds flash before his eyes, with the smallest, tiniest hope that they weren’t involved in any violence.

“I happened.” The taller of the two admitted, her face falling, “It was an accident, on the field after school-“

“As long as it’s an accident,” The principal sighed, clearly relieved, “It’s okay. You’re excused Ms. Kim, I can take care of her from here.”

Doyeon worriedly looked at Yoojung, as if to silently ask if she would be okay, and if she could leave. Yoojung nodded, smiling at best as she could at the other girl, earning her a smile in return.

She has a really pretty smile.

As Doyeon got up to leave, the principal started to lead the shorter girl into his office, starting to ask questions about the pain she was in and how the accident happened. Before he could close the door to sit her down and properly listen in their conversation, Yoojung heard a loud voice call her name.

“Yoojung-ah!”

She turned around to see Kim Doyeon still in the hallway, pointing at her playfully, before placing her hands on her hips.

“I will be responsible for you.” She said, looking Yoojung straight in the eyes, confusing her. What could she possibly mean?

“It might be too detrimental for you to lose an entire tooth. I will marry you if you can’t get married!” Doyeon declared, before grinning and running off, leaving Yoojung in the care of the principal.

Yoojung tried to ignore how her heart felt like it skipped a beat when the taller girl had said that.