記憶 (chapter 2)

give love its wings

 

Kyungsoo giggled brightly as he was propelled through the air, his small wings beating fast to carry his body away. His parents were cuddled together on the large widow tree, his father’s white wings blanketing the both of them. The air held a lively feeling; the sun caressing his skin and the clouds floating away carelessly. He reached the exit of the Barrier, the jagged hole entrapped in thick roots and flowers.
The vines twirled around his fingers as he squatted in the soft grass. He let the wind whip his hair back as he watched the pathway out of boredom. His bottom lip jutted out as he stood up to his small height before toppling over with a squeak. He still wasn’t used to the heavy wings on his back. He saw the scrapes on his knee, the cuts pooling with ichor. Tears pricked the corners of his large eyes and his button nose sniffled once, then twice.

“You need help?” A small voice came through the tunnel, echoing in the space. Kyungsoo looked up, sitting in between his knees and wings pulled around his body. His small horns peeked from the mop of hair on his head as he kept silent.

A boy with beautiful tan skin appeared at the entrance, his body drowning in a pair of shorts and a linen shirt. His white socks were shockingly bright as he came slowly; his footsteps cushioned by the thick brush of greenery. To Kyungsoo, he was about the same height as he was and maybe a bit taller. Brown locks fell gracefully around his head; a halo surrounding his head.  He sat next to Kyungsoo, his hand caressing his wings with the same gentleness his mother had in her hands.

Kyungsoo let his wings relax and fall to his sides. The boy looked around the ground and up at the trees that lumbered over them. He took a large waxy leaf, tearing at the plant strategically before coming back to Kyungsoo’s side and wrapping it around the cuts. The surface felt cool on his burning cuts as Kyungsoo peeked his eyes shyly at the boy wrapping his knees with such care.

“What your name?” Kyungsoo asked softly, his voice shaking as the tanned boy looked up from his hands; his brown hair falling into his eyes as he smiled brightly.

“Jongin is my name.”