Ch 5

On Architecture, Urban Planning, and Literature

 

When Kibum walks into the apartment, he can feel that something is wrong. There’s no one in sight but he can hear a disappointed sigh coming from their bedroom. He puts down his backpack and makes his way towards their room, making sure to knock before he goes in. The room itself is empty but there’s a light coming from under the bathroom door. Judging by the time, it’s most likely Minho. He knocks again, but doesn’t enter.

“Baby, are you in there?” he asks quietly.

“Yes, I’m in the bath.”

Minho’s short tone isn’t a good sign.

“Are you alright?”

“Of course. I’m always alright.”

“Is it okay if I come in, baby?”

“If you really want to.”

Kibum’s heart sinks when he opens the door. He doesn’t know how long Minho’s been in there, but judging by the condensation on everything and the steam off the water and the raw rosy hue of Minho’s skin, he knows it’s been more than long enough in too hot of water.

“Did something happen, today, baby?”

“No. Nothing happened. I’m fine.”

“Baby, you can tell me if something’s wrong.”

Minho doesn’t answer and stares blankly at the water in front of him.

“I’m going to change out of my slacks and get a snack, is it okay if I come sit in here with you after?”

“Whatever you want, Kibum.”

Kibum shuts the door so that it’s just barely open. He finds his pajamas as quickly as he can before going out into the kitchen and grabbing two waters and a pack of crackers.

 

Chat: No Babies Allowed

Sweetpea Ki: honey
Sweetpea Ki: I just came home to a code pink

Jinki Honey: who...................do  i need to fite??? his dad????

Sweetpea Ki: I just came home, don’t know yet.

Jinki Honey: I’ll be home in an hour or so, I can’t leave any sooner (T.T)
Jinki Honey: is there................something i can bring home

Sweetpea Ki: I’m guessing the standard will be fine, will keep you updated.

Jinki Honey: Kk

 

He knocks again before he comes back into the bathroom. He sets one water down on the rim of the tub for Minho and puts his own on the floor. He sits down next to the tub such that he’s facing Minho. He doesn’t say anything, instead letting Minho come to it on his own. It’s silent for a long time but eventually Kibum sees it start to bubble up and out.

“Why don’t my parents want me?” Minho asks, barely above a whisper.

Kibum had worried that this was the cause. It was Mr. Choi’s birthday today and though Kibum and Jinki had both tried to warn him against going to see his father, it was clear that he hadn’t heeded them. Before, Kibum would’ve done his best to assure him that they did and just didn’t know how to show it. That they loved him but the words didn’t come out right. That his brother’s heard just as much about him from their parents as he did about them.  Kibum’s come home to this too many times to even try anymore.

“I don’t know, baby.” Kibum puts his hand on the rim of the tub, palm up for Minho to hold, but he doesn’t take it. He dips his hand in the water, just to check the water; as expected, it’s not scalding but definitely too hot to be safe for long periods of time.

“I know you said not to, but I went to see dad today. When I showed up at the office he made me hide in his office. Like he was embarrassed by me being there. Like the other staff don’t know my face,” Minho explains, angry tears threatening to spill over. “When I asked him about it he tried to assure me that it was just that he didn’t want everyone to know it’s his birthday but I know better. He tried to say he was proud of me but I know he’s not. I’m not in any of the pictures in his office.”

Kibum wishes there was something soothing he could say, but he knows there’s nothing.

“Would you and Jinki still put up with me if they didn’t send money?” Minho asks after a minute.

“What money?” Kibum asks, trying to sound surprised.

Minho laughs bitterly. “I know they send you guys money. Every big holiday where I should see them and they always make some excuse of why they can’t see me. I know you try to hide the envelopes but I’m not as dumb as you guys think I am. Jinki always leaves the deposit reciepts out.”

“Baby, we don’t thi-”

“Don’t baby me, not now. If you didn’t get that money, would you want me. Yes or no?”

Kibum lifts his hand up and cups Minho’s chin, turning his face so that they’re finally looking eye to eye. He runs his thumb over Minho’s cheek and brings up his other hand.

“Minho, my baby, my love. I don’t know why your parents can’t find it in them to love you and be proud of you. I really don’t. But I do know that I love you and that Jinki honey loves you too. That our love isn’t dependant on what your parents do or don’t do concerning you or your grades or anything. I love you. For who you are, for what you are, as you are and for nothing more and nothing less.”

The tears Minho’s been trying to hold back finally start spilling over. It breaks Kibum’s heart to see them, but he’s also relieved. The whole thing has obviously been weighing him down for some time. Kibum lets him cry, wiping the tears away when they get far enough down his cheeks. Minho’s hands come up to Kibum’s and it’s clear that he’s torn between holding them and letting them stay where they are.

“Why don’t you come on out of the bath, love? We can go lay in bed and talk and when honey comes home we can see how things are.” Kibum coos once Minho’s tears start to slow. Minho nods but move.

“Did you bring clean clothes in, love?”

Minho shakes his head.

“I’ll be right back, love. What do you want? Underwear and one of honey’s soft shirts?”

Minho nods and lets go of Kibum’s hands. After grabbing the desired clothes out of the shared chest of drawers, Kibum updates Jinki on the situation.

 

Chat: No Babies Allowed

Sweetpea Ki: ya you can fight his dad
Sweetpea Ki: also he found out about the money
Sweetpea Ki: I got him to cry a little though, trying to coax him out of the bath.
Sweetpea Ki: I’d say bring whatever love you can muster and maybe takeout home

Jinki Honey: ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
Jinki Honey: ヽ(`Д´)ノ   (#゚Д゚)
Jinki Honey: I should....... be leaving soon

 

When Kibum comes back to the bathroom, Minho still hasn’t moved. Though he knows that Minho’s far from it, the sight of him looking so lost and forlorn and vulnerable in the tub reminds him of a child who’s been neglected far too long. Being only-children, it’s difficult for Kibum and Jinki to understand Minho’s misery of being the youngest of four sons. Kibum puts the clothes down on the counter and holds out his hands to help pull Minho out of the tub. He can already tell just by looking that Minho’s skin is all fresh but asks anyway as he gets a clean towel out of the closet.

“Did you scrub before I got home, love? If you did, I promise I’m not angry. I just want to know so I don’t hurt you trying to dry you off.”

Minho hangs his head and nods. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to. I’m really sorry, Ki.”

Kibum does his best to gently pat Minho dry but the skin is still tender enough that he flinches.

“It’s okay, love. I’m not angry, you’re not in trouble. It’s something we’re working on, it’s gonna happen sometimes."

He lets Minho put his boxers on and then helps him sit up on the counter. He grabs the baby lotion they keep in the medicine cabinet specifically for this and starts applying it where ever it looks most needed. The redness starts to go away as he cools off but the telltale patches of oily, artificial looking skin make it clear where he’s been scrubbing. Minho starts crying again and Kibum tries to be softer, pressing a kiss to his knuckles when he finishes the arm he’s working on. When he’s done, he grabs a tissue to wipe Minho’s face before helping him put his shirt on. Minho slips off the counter and lets Kibum guide him out of the bathroom.

“How long before honey’s home?” he asks as he climbs into the middle of bed.

“When I came out for clothes he said he was getting ready to leave but has to pick something up on his way.”

They lay in the middle of the bed, facing each other. Kibum leaves his position open enough where Minho can cuddle up to him if he wants to but isn’t surprised when he doesn’t. There’s still tears running down Minho’s cheeks and his eyes are puffy, but he’s stopped actively crying for now. They lay there for a while, holding hands.

“Is there anything else that’s been bothering you, my love? I know that today was upsetting enough on its own, but is there anything that honey and I have been doing to make you think we don’t love you?”

Minho turns his eyes away and starts chewing on his lip, staying silent.

“Baby, my love, it’s not going to hurt my feelings if there is. I wouldn’t ask if I didn’t think I could handle it. You always ask me when I’m upset if  you’ve been giving me love in the way I need it. This is just me returning that, baby love.”

Minho sighs but eventually brings his eyes back to meet Kibum’s again.

“It’s not......there’s not....” he starts, tears threatening once again to spill over. Kibum reaches up and his hair.

“It’s alright, baby love. Take your time, okay? I’m not going anywhere, except maybe to pee eventually.”

Minho chuckles a little at the last line and wipes his eyes. “I guess it’s just...you guys aren’t doing anything wrong, it’s just that you guys have been so busy with everything lately and you’re always gone and then when I do see you, it’s just to tell me to keep working or when we’re ing around and like while I like ing around I want more than that. I mean how many times this week have we had to go to bed without honey because he’s up too late working and I know it’s not fun for you to do it but I miss waking up to you and it’s just...I feel lonely but I feel guilty asking you to spend time on me because I know you guys are working on things that are important.”

Kibum waits a moment to make sure he’s done talking. While he’s thinking of how to word his response, Jinki comes home. Kibum hears the crinkle of takeout bags and wonders what he decided on. There’s a knock on the door and Jinki pops his head in.

“Hi, my loves. Am I okay to come in?”

Kibum lets Minho answer, since really the whole situation is centered on him. When he hums a yes, Jinki comes in. He changes into pajamas and then sits down on the edge of the bed.

“I brought that tomato soup you really like and those little variety sandwich packs home for dinner. Do we want them now or should I put them up for later?”

“You can go ahead and put them up for later, honey.” Kibum says when Minho doesn’t answer.

Jinki nods and heads back into the kitchen. While he’s gone, Minho rolls onto his other side and scoots back so that Kibum can hold him. He turns his head to look at Kibum.

“Is this okay?” he asks.

“Yes, baby, it’s good with me as long as you’re comfy.”

“Can I have cheek kisses?”

Kibum smiles fondly and obliges, propping himself up a little bit to give himself better access. When Jinki comes back, he lays back down, wrapping an arm around Minho’s waist. Jinki lays down so he’s facing them, reaching to hold Minho’s hands. Though Minho tries to keep his arms close to him in an effort to hide, it’s clear that Jinki’s already seen what’s gone on.

“Baby, what happened with your arms? Were you scrubbing again?” he asks, more concerned than angry.

Minho nods and Kibum can feel the emotion bubbling up again.

“Baby, you can’t do that. It’s not healthy. I know you don't mean to but-”

“Minho and I already talked about it, Jinki. It’s fine.” Kibum interrupts. Jinki looks surprised at the use of names but lets the topic go with a sigh. When neither Jinki nor Minho speak up, Kibum tries to carry on the conversation.

“Jinki honey, Minho’s got something we need to talk about.”

Minho turns back to look at Kibum, eyes full of uncertainty. Kibum kisses his cheek and it seems to be enough to get Minho to repeat his complaint to Jinki. Kibum can feel that he’s trying harder not to cry so much in front of Jinki and he makes a mental note to discuss it with them separately later. When he’s sure that Minho’s done, Jinki moves a hand to Minho’s cheek.

“Baby, if you were feeling that bad you should’ve said something. I’m sorry I let it get that bad, I didn’t know and I didn't think to ask.”

“You learn to look fine after a while.” Minho whispers.

Kibum props himself up so that Minho doesn’t have to strain to see him. “I’m sorry, love. I got too wrapped up in everything and out of all the things I thought to check and double check, I forgot the most important one. I’m going to do my best to check in more often from now on. But on the flipside, you’re going to have to work at being more honest with honey and me about how you’re doing, ok?”

Minho looks down at the sheets for a moment but eventually looks back and nods.

“We love you very much, baby. Don’t ever forget that.” Jinki whispers, kissing his forehead. “Are you hungry, baby?”

Minho shakes his head. “Will you hold me? I’m tired and I want to sleep.”

Jinki laughs and nods, opening his arms up for Minho to wiggle into. He rolls so that he’s facing Kibum again, reaching for his hands to hold again. Jinki hums a tune and Kibum massages his palms, and soon enough Minho’s sleeping. Jinki falls asleep soon after. Kibum contemplates his normal move to the other side of Jinki, but decides that he can sacrifice one nap for Minho to be happy waking up to him.