Ch 1

On Architecture, Urban Planning, and Literature

 

Kibum wakes up first, per usual. He taps the button on his alarm but lays there for a minute more. He needs to get up and do some last minute checks on his presentation but finds it hard to leave the warmth of the blankets. Just as he’s almost asleep again, the bed starts to shake: a glance over Jinki’s sleeping form confirms that it’s just Minho trying to get comfortable. He gets up and out of bed, leaving the other two to sleep. He first turns on the coffee maker then his laptop and sits down. He’s about thirty minutes into revising and rehearsing when Jinki comes trudging out. Kibum guesses he’s been up for no more than five minutes, considering how he only has one slipper on. He watches him try to navigate the apartment with his eyes closed, laughing quietly as Jinki attempts to cuss at the chair he stubs his toe on. When he finally has his coffee, Jinki sits down next to Kibum at the table. He looks around and pulls a pile of Minho’s books over for him to lean his head on.

“Be careful, honey. Drool on baby’s books and you’ll have to buy him new ones.”

“No”

Kibum laughs and how long it takes for Jinki’s response to come.

“No, what? No you won’t drool or no he won’t make you buy new ones.”

“No as in noooooo I don’t want to buy him new books.”

Kibum laughs again and triple checks that his changes are saved. He wants to revise more but with Jinki some sort of awake he knows he won’t get much else done. He opens the half eaten container of cinnamon rolls and pulls two out for them, closing it before Jinki’s grabby hands can get in it. Jinki settles for holding Kibum’s hand instead as they eat their rolls. Kibum finishes first and gets up to get dressed. He considers waking Minho up while he’s in the bedroom but decides that’s a battle he doesn’t want to participate in today. He finishes getting ready and goes back into the kitchen, gathering his presentation materials. Jinki finally finishes his roll as Kibum finishes packing.

“Don’t forget to wake baby up so he can make it to class.”
Jinki looks up from wiping his crumbs off the table with is best puppy eyes.

“Why do I have to wake baby up?”
“Because,” Kibum explains, reaching to give Jinki a goodbye kiss, “you don’t have a presentation worth 15% of your grade today.”

“Ugh, fine. But you get to wake him up tomorrow.”

Kibum laughs and heads for the door.
“I’ll see you later, honey!”

“Alright, do well on your presentation, sweetpea.”

*

Although his phone buzzes on the way to class, Kibum doesn’t check it until he’s found his seat.

Baby Minho: pumpkin!! i hope your presentation goes well!! i believe in you!! i love you!!

He smiles to himself as he locks his phone again. There’s a tap on his shoulder and he turns around.
“Are those your brothers? On your lockscreen?” a girl asks.

“Uh no. They’re uh close friends of mine.” he replies nervously. This is not what he needed this morning.

“Oh. I’m sorry, I know this is really weird since I don’t know you at all but the tall guy is really cute. Is he single?”

Kibum struggles not to sigh. “No, he’s very committed at the moment.”

“Oh. Darn. Thanks.”

When the girl moves away, Kibum turns back to the front. He tries to calm back down. Though this isn’t the first time someone had tried to get Minho’s contact info from him, it’s not any more pleasant of an experience. At least it had ended quickly. As the presentations start, he struggles to stay awake. Though most of the designs are nice, the presenters themselves seemingly lack personality on the whole. When it’s his turn, he does his best to be pleasant and engaging; the professor seems to take notice and when he’s done, the class applauds more lively than before. He checks his phone when he goes back to his seat.

Baby Minho: ok so i went to class but it got cancelled.

Jinki Honey:  (・へ・) how do we kno u actually went tho

Baby Minho: [1 photo attachment]

Baby Minho: >:( i had my books out and everything!!

Jinki Honey: ok fair enough

Jinki Honey: im leaving for class now do u have ur key

Baby Minho: no he’s giving a presentation ;P

Jinki Honey: ------________------ u mean OUR ki is giving a presentation

Baby Minho: but you call him bummie not ki so im not wrong saying that my ki (and your bummie) is giving a presentation

Jinki Honey: D O Y O U H A V E Y O U R K E Y  T O T H E A P A R T M E N T

Baby Minho: yes and i love you

Jinki Honey: ily2

The presentations drone on for another 45 minutes before the professor announces that that’s the end for the day and he’ll post the next assignment soon. Knowing that Minho’s home, Kibum finds himself a little less than gracefully running out the door. When he comes in, Minho’s laying on the couch reading. He doesn’t seem to hear Kibum come in, so he does his best to take advantage of the situation. He quietly tiptoes over to the couch and after reading over Minho’s shoulder for a minute, makes his move.

“And what are you doing?”

Minho jumps at the noise, almost dropping his book in the process. He rolls onto his side and dramatically puts his hand on his heart.

“Kibum! I was reading! You can’t just scare me like that!”

Kibum just laughs and quickly sits in the new space on the couch. Minho marks his page and wraps an arm around Kibum’s waist

“You almost made me drop my book and everything. And to think, I didn’t even fuss that much at honey when I got up this morning.”

“You didn’t fuss?” Kibum asks, unconvinced.

“Let’s not be unrealistic here. There was definitely fussing.” comes Jinki’s voice from the doorway.

Minho pouts and looks away.

“I said I didn’t fuss much, not that I didn’t fuss at all.”

Jinki and Kibum share a look of understanding and Minho’s pout increases.

“It doesn’t matter if I fussed or not the important thing here is that I was reading and you scared me on purpose.”

“I’m sorry, you just make the funniest face when I do that, I can’t help it.”

Minho sticks his tongue out and Kibum kisses his cheek.

“So today in the ever continuing saga of people not realizing that gay people exist and polyamorous relationships exist, this girl in my class first asked if you guys were my brothers and then if Minho was single.” Kibum announces.

“What brought that up?” Minho asks.

“She saw my lockscreen.”

“Isn’t your lockscreen the picture of the three of us at the water park? The one of us getting ready to throw him into the pool?” Jinki asks as he sits down next to Kibum.

“Yeah.”

“Wait if it’s that picture how did she know I was tall??” Minho asks.

“Baby, people with proportions like yours only come in a size tall. Even if you’re horizontal and we’re vertical it’s not hard to tell that you’re taller.” Jinki explains. Minho smiles, obviously pleased with the answer.

“Are you okay, sweetpea? I know that stuff tends to get to you.” Jinki asks.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Did you tell her that you’re my boyfriend?” Minho asks, shifting around so that he can sit up.

“No, I just said you were very committed.”

“That’s true, I am very committed to both my boyfriends.” Minho replies, puckering his lips for a kiss.

“Yes very committed and very late leaving for his second class.” Jinki says, standing up. Minho looks at his watch and nearly falls off the couch trying to stand up. Kibum and Jinki laugh as he runs around, grabbing books and papers from all sorts of places. He gives them both a kiss before running out the door. When it closes, Jinki walks to the kitchen to make a snack. He looks at something on the counter, out of Kibum’s sightline, and laughs. Before he can ask what it is, Minho’s busting back into the apartment.

“Honey!! Did you see where I-”

Minho’s yelling is cut off by Jinki holding up the missing keychain. Minho grabs it, gives them another round of kisses, and is out the door again.

“You know, sweetpea, as much as he says you’re on his mind, you’d think he’d remember his keys more often.”