JUST

MEMORY

Just (3rd POV)

“You’ve got to be kidding me…” A girl in her full nurse uniform crossed her arms. Her brows furrowed together and she was not really happy. “Sandeul-ssi…I know both our work is toxic. Especially that we are in the medical field and remember that I transferred here so we can see each other, moved in to your apartment and so.” She said towards a man who was wearing a white coat. She tossed her medical stainless clipboard on her desk out of annoyance.

“Byul, I know…I am serious… but we really might not see each other tonight, because I was given a schedule, I will be operating someone tonight.” He replied, he sighed out of frustration. They were whispering and talking secretly as well.

Byul shook her head and let out a deep breath. “Moolah… We haven’t seen each other and talked with each other properly for like months now even almost a year and more so?” she whispered. She stopped when a co-nurse walked to the counter behind them to grab a pen and a paper.

Sandeul just sighed and held Byul’s hand. “I’m sorry, but this is for us anyways.”

“Let another doctor take it.” Byul said as she pulled her hand away from Sandeul’s touches.

“Last time you were the one so pre-occupied, but I just tried to understand your situation because you’re a nurse, and you need to extend your duty because your co-nurse did not come in”

Byul scoffed. “Nurse and doctors are different…and last night you were also operating on someone. Catch my point?” She lightly bumped Sandeul’s shoulder as she passed by so she can go to the food area for her break.

Sandeul suddenly grabbed her arm before she walks out. “Don’t walk out on me again…”

“This discussion has not point… let’s just talk again when you have time and-“

“WE HAVE A SITUATION HERE. WE NEED BACKUP.” Someone says. A bunch of aids and nurses pushed a couple of stretcher, while Byul and Sandeul turned their heads to see the commotion. It wasn’t new inside the E.R. to have such situation. “Work is calling us…” Sandeul said while Byul just rolled her eyes. Both of them went straight to help and aid the two patients who just came in.

Sandeul started to do his job as a doctor. He walked to the stretcher where a man lies unconsciously. After seconds of tending, nurses started to list down his vital signs and recorded everything.

“Doctor this lady here is quite critical.” Moonbyul said. She performed a CPR immediately because the heartbeat seemed to be dropping. Other nurses started to put on some oxygen mask on the lady. Moonbyul started to do some routine to at least stabilize the patient. She stared at the woman who was lying unconsciously, trying to save the woman’s dear life because she was running out of oxygen and that is not a good sign. Unlike the man on the other bed, she was in a more critical state than he was.

“Nurse Byul, please go over the patient’s belongings and check who the relatives are and contact them.” Sandeul ordered. He saved Byul’s from becoming toxic, she hadn’t had any meal throughout the day and this was her escape key. “Call another nurse for assistance here after.”

Moonbyul gave him a sharp stare as she walked out of the situation and went over to the security table where the patient’s belongings are. The ambulance reporter and the hospital police started talking to her giving out the information what time the patients were discovered and what could have happened.

“Omo, car crash?” Moonbyul blinked. She took the white sling bag that had an intricate long strap. She stared at the bag and she thought it was elegant, but the once white colored bag was now stained with blood. She grabbed a flat cotton pad wiped the blood off the white leather bag before she opened the insides to check for ID and relatives to contact. She let the police investigate the phone and wallet, and she ended up staring at an ID.

“Kim…Yongsun?” She mumbled. “I hope she survives… her relatives must be worried… and this yeoja is really pretty… it’s a waste in the world to loose someone like her…” she told the ambulance reporter with a little weak chuckle while she stared at the ID’s of Yongsun inside the ID wallet.

“I think this is her relative to contact?” The police handed her a small notebook that seemed to be an organizer and there was a contact at the back with a name Sowon Aeggy.

Moonbyul grabbed the hospital phone and she started to dial the number listed down. “What’s the name? Sowon??” She stared at the list of contacts and “Baby Sowon” was at the top of the contact list and there she listed under the relation section was her sister.

The police gave her a nod.

She started to dial and voila! It rang. “Pick up… pick up…” She waited quite long while her long candle like fingers tapped the table. “toot toot toot…”

“Do it again…” The ambulance reporter said to her.

Byul nodded. She did it again but no one was answering. She called several times but the line just rang and rang and rang. Byul sighed and let out a deep breath.

“Last try…” Byul said after redialing for the nth time.

Riing…. Ring… ring…. Ring… ring…

“Yeobuseo??” A little voice answered.

Byul suddenly jumped and her eyes grew large. “Someone answered.” She mouthed to the hospital police and ambulance security. “Yeobuseo. This is from Seoul National Hospital. Is this a relative of Kim Yongsun?”

“Yes? Im her sister?? Who is this??” the voice said. It was a bit annoyed as well. A snob one Byul thought.

“I am here to inform you that your sister, Kim Yongsun has been sent here in the hospital, and we need a relative to accommodate the situation.” She said carefully.

“OMO- UNNIE?! WHAT?! WHY?! IS SHE OKAY??? WAIT WAIT… I’M IN CLASS, WAIT OKAY, WAIT…” Byul suddenly heard some things clattering in the background.

“Okay, calm down miss, she is here in the E.R. and best news we are doing everything for her. Please come asap and just drop at the E.r. counter.” Byul said in a very soothing manner.

“Okay, okay, I’m on my way thank you.” Then the line died.

Moonbyul nodded and let out a deep breath. “poor girl, she said she was in class… but anyways, I’m just going on a break, and I’ll be back asap.” She said to the staffs who nodded their heads and dismissed her.

Moonbyul left the security table and went back over to the E.R. counter, she pumped up alcohol onto her hands to sanitize herself. Then she grabbed her phone inside the drawer and her purse. She listed her name at the time out section that she’s going on a break. The moment she turned she saw Sandeul. “Patients are both stable but we need to do further tests. I am going to assign you with the woman, her name is-” He looked at the list in his medical clipboard.

“Kim Yongsun…” Moonbyul nodded and answered him annoyingly. “Ahrasso, just do your job, wait why don’t you just call another nurse??” She said.

 “I’m handling the other patient and according to the security findings his name was Eric Nam?” He said while he checked the records in his list.

They were always a duo at work ever since Byul transferred to this hospital. But this time their relationship was falling apart and Byul felt that enough is enough. Sandeul sighed and he pulled her to a hug using his free arm. Since they were still at work, they needed work ethics. Moonbyul pushed him slightly away. “Not here… Just… let’s have a cool off for a while… I don’t think this is working for both of us. It was better off when we weren’t in the same hospital, right now, we became too easy, and we thought that we see each other anyway, if this is my future with you… I don’t think I want this life with you…” She whispered and walked away, out of the counter and away from the toxicity of the E.R.

Sandeul just sighed and watched her walk away.

While Byul was walking towards the elevator, she received a text from Sandeul saying “I love you.” She rolled her eyes and deleted the message. She wanted to throw her phone away but she can’t- of course. She turned it off instead and slipped it back inside her pocket and went off to her personal agenda.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



UP NEXT:

"Friday Night"

~ Hwasa ~