Emotion

MEMORY

A sister's point of view

 

"Hello, this is from Seoul National Hospital, is this a family member of Kim Yongsun?"

 

"Unnie, I am on my way to Seoul National Hospital, please come- I don't know what to do... I am on my way to the E.R. let’s meet there please" I said through my cell phone while getting off the cab. I grabbed my bag that was beside me and quickly swung it over my left shoulder.

“Why what happened?! Are you hurt are you okay???”

“I am fine, please come…” I begged. My voice cracked through my dry throat.

“Okay, Just chill, I am on my way alright? Sowon, listen to me, listen. Breathe alright?? I am on my way.” I nodded as I listen to a soothing voice that belonged to my cousin, I wanted to cry but my eyes couldn't squeeze a tear. My heart couldn't help but worry so much, and every step I make towards the hospital entrance makes my knees weaker and weaker. I received a call from Seoul National Hospital while I was having classes few moments ago, and now I find myself running through the huge lobby of the hospital going to the E.R. section. “Please be okay please be okay…” I mumbled while half walking half running. Why is the lobby of this hospital so huge?! It adds up to the tension I feel and it makes me more exhausted than I already am.

The hospital was huge, it was glass walled, high ceilinged lobby, doctors and nurses were so busy everywhere, and there was quite a lot of people too. I marched towards the E.R. section and finally saw the counter. "Excuse me-" I said while hanging onto the counter desk, I stared at the name plate of the nurse and her name was Moon Byul Yi. "I- I.. " I stuttered- almost losing my head and my senses. I didn’t know what to say. "Someone called me earlier about a patient named Yongsun?" My hands were now shaking in fear. I couldn't feel anything, I simply can't breathe properly I feel like passing out but no, I can’t- I just can’t. The only person left of me, she can't be here in the hospital. Why? What happened?

"Oh you're just in time. Follow me." The nurse said as she took a medical form that was clipped to a medical stainless board. "Are you a family member?" she asked as we walked towards the E.R. hall. I stared at her and goodness, she was a girl crush material. Her nurse uniform fitted her really well, her hair was tied into a bun and her eyes were soft but a little bit strong. She was quite tall but I was taller than her though despite of her petite beautiful figure, I can say she’s a great nurse herself. I can feel the self-assurance just with her aura.

I nodded my head. "I'm her sister..." I said.

“Your sister was taken here 40 minutes ago. She got into an accident estimated around 1hour and a half ago, and she was not alone when she was found.” the nurse said, she didn't have a good expression on her face. She lead the way as quick as she could going to a room full of beds that were separated by green colored curtains. Nurse Moon slid the curtain open and unnie was lying on the bed, blood was everywhere, her once clean clothes that I washed and ironed three days ago is now stained with blood. The nurses just finished tending to her aid and they placed a gauze on her head.

"U-unnie.." I said as I raked her beautiful medium length brown hair. I stared at my unnie’s lifeless face, her lips were pale, so as her face. "Unnie…" I wanted to cry but no- no tears were falling from my eyes, I wanted to hug her but I can’t, I might create more damage. I held her hands and they were cold as ice. "Is she okay?? is she okay???" I asked the nurses.


"We will be taking her to do more tests because her vital signs are not good.” Someone said. I turned my head and saw the doctor who just arrived. “Hello, I am Dr. Sandeul, please calm down and relax, Nurse Byul will be assisting you and tell you everything in detail, you may wait outside the test section along the lounges, and I will make sure everything is okay. I will do everything for her to be okay.” He nodded as he signalled the nurses to take my unnie away.

“Unnie..“ I whispered. Suddenly my unnie’s hand slid off of my touches and she was taken away by the bunch of nurses for further tests. Tears started to form in the corner of my eyes. It’s sinking to me now.

“It’s going to be alright, trust me, Dr. Sandeul is a very great doctor, so I will be explaining what happened.” Nurse Byul said to me, she grabbed a tissue from her pocket and handed it to me for my tears. “But before that, do you know him? He's the person she was taken along with... uhm- earlier." She suddenly opened the other curtain that was beside me and she waited for my immediate answer hoping I was the answer to her dilemma. I was shocked to see a man. He was so familiar that I am quite disgusted with his face. What happened really? “He’s my sister’s…boyfriend.” I blinked. I didn’t mind him much because he wasn’t anyone close to me. ”I do not care about him much.” I said with a bitter tone while ignoring him and looking away.

The nurse nodded and sighed, do not get your hopes up nurse, you just asked the wrong person. “We contacted his family members but no one was picking up.” she said with a disappointed tone. Then she closed the curtain and walked me towards the lounge area where there were couches like it was the waiting area. “Please wait for me here, sit down, breathe, relax, I will be back, along with the patient’s belongings.” She hugged the medical metal board clip to her chest as she walked away.

I sighed and laced my fingers together before bringing them to my lips. I stared at the floor blankly and could not think of anything at the moment. I froze for few moments until - “Sowon ah” An oh so familiar voice resonated through my ears and like a bolt my head zapped up and I stared to a figure who quickly walked towards me. She was wearing her usual working clothes, skimpy pencil skirt that was above knee high, long sleeved crepe fabric top and it was fashionable. I would like to describe her as the ytary but nah- she owns a small café business. Her sassy heels even sounded through the tiled floor, then the moment she reached me she immediately placed her bag down to the floor and checked on me. “You’re so pale. Look at you…what happened??? Are you hurt??? What happened?? I’m so worried to death I immediately drove me way here from work.” She raked my hair and even kissed my forehead. Her usual fierce looking eyes were softened with worry but it wasn’t me it was Yongsun unnie.

“Hyejin unnie…I’m fine. It’s not me, it’s Yongsun unnie” It was all I can say.

She had a shocked face. “WHAT?!” Her jaws dropped in shock.

“Hi, I am back with the belongings of the patient, and forms to be filled up as well.” Nurse Byul suddenly showed up with unnie’s belongings and she was handing us the metal clipboard that she was carrying around earlier. Hwasa unnie took charge and faced the nurse and talked to her while she took my sister’s belongings and placed them all on my lap. Hwasa unnie took the form and she filled it up while the nurse was talking to her. I couldn’t bear to listen, I have a very weak heart,  but I can hear small words such as accident, her head was severely bleeding earlier, what? I honestly can’t help myself- I stared at unnie’s bag and tried to divert most of my attention towards her belongings. I need to check if her wallet and phone was still inside, and yes. They are. I grabbed unnie’s phone to really divert myself because cold sweats are forming around my forehead. I unlocked the screen and landed on her inbox accidentally, maybe it was the last place Solar unnie was with her phone.

I accidentally read a message that she sent to her boyfriend saying “Let’s break up. I’m so done.” I was shocked, wait did they broke up before the accident happened? What really happened?? I tried reading further her inbox but I kept hearing things from Hwasa unnie and the nurse saying “Did she lose a lot of blood? …. She was really in a bad state than the man who was inside when she was taken in, etc etc.” These things are actually my fear. Blood, accidents, open wounds, operation, it gives me anxiety.

Suddenly, I can’t help it anymore, my chest started to constrict my wind pipes again and I felt my heart dropped. No Sowon, no please. I can’t afford this. I held onto my knees, my hands were ice cold and shaking, I tried to breathe in and out but I can’t control it, I looked at up Hwasa unnie who was still talking and my visions started to blurr out. “Unnie…” I said as I reached out to her arm.

Hwasa unnie did faced me but then suddenly… “SOWON AH!” It was the last words I heard and everything went black.



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS. Please do drop some comments, author is open for suggestions :)
this is the first chapter so it's sort of short. Just for introduction... so expect longer in the next chapters to come <3