Final

Rewind

Yoongi quickly tapped his fingers along the old wooden table.  He checked the time on his phone.  It was 9:08 a.m. “She’s late, Jin.  She’s never late.”

“Calm down,” the older male commented, “the rain is probably slowing her down.”

Yoongi stared out the large window, and his gaze quickly focused on the dark sky.  The rain fell in sheets, drenching the people outside even though they had umbrellas.  He watched the raindrops race down the window while Jin sipped on his hot coffee and played a game on his phone.

“Ordering anything today?”

Yoongi jumped and snapped his head around to look at the light pink haired male who had yanked him from his raindrop race.

“Not today, Hoseok. I’m just waiting.”

“Okay,” Hoseok said while tapping his pen on his notepad, “do you want to go ahead and pay?  I have faith she will arrive soon; she’s never missed a day.”

Yoongi reached into his back pocket and pulled out his slightly worn wallet and produced eight dollars and then fumbled around in his front pockets for the remaining forty-three cents.  When the money was placed into Hoseok’s hand, the bell on the cafe’s door chimed signaling someone had entered.  Hoseok quickly greeted the customer and nudged Yoongi quietly whispered, “she’s here.”

Yoongi breathed a sigh of relief just at her presence.  His eyes trailed down her body taking in her appearance.  Her long brown hair was damp and disheveled like the wind had tried to play hairdresser and her clothes were not much better.  She slipped into the booth that she always sat in, three away from the one Yoongi and a Jin were nestled in.  Goosebumps rose up on her skin, and she tried to rub them away.

Yoongi grabbed the denim jacket that was draped across his lap and began to stand up only to plop himself back down.

“No, please do it,” Jin begged.  “It will be the sweetest I have seen in a while.”  Jin subtly looked over his shoulder.  “Yoongi, she’s shivering! Go give her your jacket.”

Yoongi placed his face into his hands and rubbed at his eyes.  “I can’t, Jin.  She doesn’t know who I am.  She doesn’t remember.”

Hoseok brought a steaming cup of coffee, and a large blueberry muffin to her table and Yoongi smiled as she began to add cream and sugar to the black coffee.   Counting the sugars, Yoongi knew she would add one more to her cup.  She looked around for one more packet on her table but failed to find one.  Yoongi plucked one from the arrangement on the table he and Jin were sharing and gently picked up the flower he technically stole earlier that morning.

Jin giggled at the movement and whispered, “Game time.”

Yoongi swatted at Jin as he made his way over to her table.  His heart felt like it was about to give out. 

“Excuse me,” He began but cut himself off when her beautiful brown eyes met his.  “I couldn’t help but notice that you needed more sugar.” 

She smiled at him, and Yoongi swore that his heart did in fact, stop. 

“Yes, I did!” She took the sugar from him, her fingertips touching his.  “Thank you.”

Yoongi returned the smile. “Anytime.”  He froze, suddenly feeling nervous like he was about to confess to her again for the first time in his life.  “I also… stole this,” he cringed at the word and held out the flower, “I thought it was pretty and I knew I would see a pretty girl to give it to.”  Yoongi loved doing this to her.  He loved seeing the red rush out from her collar and climb up to her cheeks.  Her hand flew up to her face to cover , and her eyes grew in size as her free hand slowly reached out to take the flower.

“Oh my goodness.” She breathed.  “Gardenias are my favorite.  I have a vase full of them sitting beside my bed.”

Yoongi knew about the flowers.  He was the reason she had them.

“Maybe I’ll see you around?” Yoongi asked.

She quickly nodded her head in agreement. “Yeah.  Definitely.”

Yoongi left her with a smile and walked away motioning to Jin to follow him.

By the time they stepped out of the café, the rain had slowed to a drizzle.  Yoongi slipped his jacket on and waited for Jin to put on his before he stepped out from the protection of the awning.

“Are you coming back tomorrow? Jin asked. 

Yoongi scoffed at the ridiculous question.  “Of course.  I have never let her pay for her own coffee… even back when we were dating.  As long as I am alive, she will never pay for coffee.”

People gathered around them, waiting for the bus to arrive.  Jin kicked a small pebble into a nearby puddle, pondering if he should change the subject to something else.  He snuck a peek at Yoongi who was staring at nothing in particular.  

“How long has it been?”  Jin asked.  “ I mean… since the accident?

Yoongi’s eyes followed a bright orange taxi as he calculated the days.  “One year, eight months and…eleven days.”  Jin could only nod at the information.  He was expecting an estimate.  Not an exact date.  His attention was brought back to the male standing beside him as he began to talk again.

“If only I had met her earlier or if she could remember who I was, let alone that we were in a relationship for almost two years,” Yoongi quieted back down when he noticed people were beginning to stare, “if only the accident never happened and took her memory of me… away.” 

A bus slowed to a stop in front of them, and people pushed their way inside wanting to get out of the rain as soon as possible.

“If only she could make new memories,” Yoongi mumbled as he and Jin stepped up into the bus looking for a seat.  They took two empty seats in the back of the bus and the bus pulled away from the curb shortly after.

“Do you think you will ever move on?”

Yoongi rolled the question around in his head for a moment.  He shook his head.  “I don’t think I will.  There might be a day where I meet someone else, but I will forever love her.”