Chapter 5

Stained Wings

Her eyes fluttered open and this time her eyes adjusted much faster. It was now dark and she could see the stars that shone differently from the way she was used to but in a way, that was still comforting.

She slowly rose from the bed and continued to stare at the stars. They were much further than what she was used to. Somehow while trying to get a glimpse of something other than her usual surroundings, she had made it into Hunter territory and the human world.

She sighed, she missed home. No one knew what happened to Angels who were captured. Some say they died, others say that they were held prisoner, then there are whispers that Angels are made into weapons to Hunt their own kind. The thoughts in her mind, started to grow erratic.

Where was she? What would happen to her? Was her family looking for her?

A small sob betrayed her and tears fell with no warning from her eyes.

What to do?

She was but a young Angel with untrained powers. She was the youngest in her family and the only girl. She had five brothers, all of whom had spoiled her and protected her. The other families were right, her family had given her no favours. She didnt have a fighting chance.

She got onto the bed again and curled up. Her wings folded around her as if to protect her. She tried to imagine the usual warmth of her wings but she found that she couldnt concentrate.

She heard the sound of the door handle being opened and tried to keep her breathing still.

I know youre awake, the male voice said. Ive brought some food, Im sure youre hungry.

She lay as still as she could, trying to keep her breathing even. A few minutes passed and then she felt a presence next to her.

I just to take a look at your wounds. Im not going to hurt you, the male said.

She opened her wings cautiously, allowing the unknown male to look over her.

His eyes were cold and his face was blank yet again. She couldnt figure him out, but she guessed that maybe it was a human/Hunter thing.

After tending to her wounds, he indicated with his hands at the food on the small table, Eat.

As he turned around he said, It would be nice to know your name.

Just as he closed the door, he heard a soft whisper, Calissa.