Final

Best Friends

Just as a fair warning, this has not been proofread so you should probably expect a lot of mistakes.

Anyways, thanks for clicking on this story and I hope you enjoy! <3

_______________________________________

“Chanwoo-yah!” both Chanwoo’s head and the rest of iKon turn as they hear the shout, they’re expecting it to be someone from YG that they're comfortable with speaking to their maknae, not some kid they've never seen before with a mop of curly brown hair and a smile that oddly resembles their maknae’s.

 

“Moonbin-ah!” Chanwoo yells in response and takes off towards the boy, as soon as they meet they envelop each other in a giant bear hug that leaves the hyungs fuming on the side. Who is this guy?

 

“God it's been so long, how have you been?” Chanwoo gushes and they're taken back by the tone of his voice, so carefree and young, and so different from how he usually speaks to them.

“I've been good! We've been practicing hard for our upcoming comeback so I haven't really had the time to call you, I'm sorry, please forgive your hyung?” Moonbin pouts and Jiwon’s hand tightens into a fist.

 

“Hyung?! What are you talking about we’re the same age,” Chanwoo laughs with a dimpled smile but Moonbin only smiles and ruffles his hair, “a three-hour gap is still a three-hour gap my friend, therefore I'm your hyung,”

 

“In your dreams,” Chanwoo scoffs but he's smiling so large they're afraid his face might crack and his eyes are sparkling like a kid on Christmas and this is so not fair he doesn't look like that with them.

 

Jinhwan clears his throat and tries to hide his annoyance, “we gotta get going, Chanwoo-yah,” he says tightly and he can see the confusion cross over the younger’s face as he picks up on the tone.

 

“Really? I thought we were-”

 

“Change of plans,” Hanbin cuts in and Chanwoo’s expression falls quickly, he looks back at his friend and gives him a small and sad smile, “I guess I have to go, but we’ll talk later,” he says and gives Moonbin the tightest of hugs before parting reluctantly and joining his hyungs.

 

_______

 

“Jinhwan hyung what was that?” Chanwoo asks as soon as they’re inside the car and buckling up, but as he gets no answer he frowns and leans forward in his seat to put his arms on the seat in front of him where Jinhwan is sitting to wrap his arms around the older man, “hyung,” he whines cutely and shakes the seat but to his disappointment his hyung doesn’t seem affected even the slightest, if anything he just seems annoyed.

 

So Chanwoo removes his arms and sits back in his seat with a slight frown on his face. Maybe Jinhwan hyung is just in a bad mood,  he thinks and instead focuses on the person to his right. “Donghyuk hyung~” he tilts his head and nudges the elder slightly to get his reaction but Donghyuk only puts his earphones in and turns his head away from Chanwoo, which leaves the younger more confused and a little hurt. He can’t remember doing anything he shouldn’t have, he hadn’t messed up their live stage nor had he said or done anything wrong in their interview, so....why are they acting like this?

 

He sinks down in his seat as the car starts rolling and grabs his phone from his pocket, there’s no use in trying to talk to someone who doesn’t want to so he decides to send a text to Moonbin.

 

-Yah Moonbin-ah did my hyungs seem mad? They won’t talk to me now

 

-yeah lol they were hELLA mad

 

-Yeah but y tho ???

 

-U telling me u don’t know?

 

-Yah! that’s why I’m asking ...I have no idea why they’re mad

 

-lol that sounds like a personal problem

 

-moonbin-ah!

 

Chanwoo doesn’t receive an answer after that so he too decides to just plug in his earphones and drown any sound out with music. At some point on the way back to the dorm, he manages to fall asleep with his head leaning uncomfortably against the cold window of the car instead of Donghyuk’s shoulder like he usually would. But he figured the elder wouldn’t appreciate him doing that when he’s in a bad mood.

 

He sleeps for about 15 minutes and then he’s suddenly shaken awake by Donghyuk who’s looking at him with a soft smile which he quickly returns, immediately feeling better now that Donghyuk doesn’t seem to be angry at him anymore. “Let’s go you, big baby,, I can’t carry you,” Donghyuk mumbles and Chanwoo sits up slowly and stretches his back, he hears a click and realizes that Donghyuk has unclasped his seatbelt for him and Chanwoo grabs for the car door and pushes it open lazily, still not back to full strength after his nap.

 

He stumbles out and walks right into Jiwon who reaches out and lazily ruffles his hair, he must have fallen asleep in the car as well, Chanwoo thinks, because his hyung looks disheveled and his eyes are barely open. Someone throws an arm around his shoulder and together they walk inside, he leans into the person and feels comforted now that they don’t seem to be avoiding him.

“Alright everyone, take a quick shower and go to bed right after, we have a long day tomorrow,” Hanbin says and everyone nods silently, unanimously too tired to verbally answer him.

 

____

 

-Good news they don’t seem to be mad at me anymore

 

-bad news you’re still an idiot

 

-why do you torture me so

 

“Chanwoo-yah, what are you doing?” Yunhyeong throws himself down on the couch next to Chanwoo and smiles, “oh, I’m texting Moonbin-ah,” and there goes the smile. Yunhyeong frowns and sits up straighter, “that kid from yesterday?” he questions a little forcefully and Chanwoo, without looking up from his phone, nods. “Yeah,” he answers and only looks up when Yunhyeong leaves the couch to go sit with Donghyuk. What had he done now?

 

-nvrm i think i just messed up again

 

-what did you do

-i just told yunhyeong hyung that i was talking to you

 

-you’re hopeless

 

-why????

 

All he gets after that is a small ‘read at 13:52’ but no answer so he sighs deeply and sinks down in his seat, why is everyone being so weird? He thinks and continues to sulk.

 

A few hours pass and he’s starting to feel quite sad over the fact that his hyungs seem mad at him, he doesn’t know what he’s done, and that’s the worst part. Because when he’s messed up and he knows it it’s easy to take his punishment, but in this case, he doesn’t know why they’re ignoring him because according to him he hasn’t done anything wrong. They were happy and professional on stage when they performed but as soon as they stepped off the stage they separated themselves from him. For the first few hours he tried to get their attention but when he realized that it wasn’t going to happen he decided to bury his face in his phone and text Moonbin for some time. Not that the boy ever answered.

 

With his nose practically touching the screen and his earphones plugged in he doesn’t notice when Big Bang enter their changing room, he only notices when the couch dips with the weight of someone else and his Seungri hyung removes his phone from his hands.

 

“Hyung,” he whines tiredly and reaches to get his phone back but Seungri only moves it farther away, “what are you doing over here sulking?” he questions and Chanwoo groans because he doesn’t want to be reminded of his lonely state. “The hyungs are mad at me,” he mumbles and hears Seungri sigh, “what did you do?” and that’s when Chanwoo sits up with a speed fast enough to challenge lightning, “I didn’t do anything!” he says, perhaps a little too loud because he sees Jinhwan and Hanbin look over at him.

 

“I didn’t do anything,” he repeats, much quieter than the first and Seungri leans in, curious, “tell hyung what has happened,” he says dramatically with a hand over his heart and Chanwoo shoves him lightly with an amused grin. “I met an old friend yesterday, we said hi to each other and that’s basically it, and then when we were in the car they seemed really annoyed and Jinhwan hyung wouldn’t even talk to me,” he pauses so that he doesn’t get too upset in front of his hyung.

 

“And today I texted Moonbin-ah, and when I told Yunhyeong hyung about it he just left,” Chanwoo sighs sadly and Seungri reaches over to pat the younger boy’s shoulder, “oh my poor, sweet, summer child,” he coos quietly and Chanwoo groans and throws his head back because it’s obvious that Seungri too, knows what’s going on and that he’s finding this whole thing hilarious.

 

“You innocent boy,” he continues and Chanwoo snaps, “hyung~” he whines pitifully and shoves the elder, “just tell me,” he whines and Seungri cackles, “okay, okay,” he sits up straighter and leans towards the younger so that his mouth is right by the younger boy’s ear and whispers, “they're jealous,” he declares and Chanwoo blanks.

 

He leans back and takes a look at his hyung to see if he’s making fun of him and trying to trick him but he sees nothing but honesty, “what?” he questions dumbly and Seungri smiles comfortingly before repeating it again, “they’re. Jealous.”

 

He stares wide eyed at the elder with his mouth slightly open in shock, “what the hell,” he mumbles quietly and Seungri cracks a smile, “it’s stupid, I know, but trust me, all hyungs are like this when it comes to their maknae,” he pauses and pats Chanwoo’s shoulder, “more so because you’re so young,” he says with a longing expression and Chanwoo giggles, “hyung~it’s not like you’re and old man, at least not for another year or two,” he says cheekily and Seungri blinks in shock, “yah! You brat,” he laughs and throws himself over Chanwoo to tickle him.

 

“Hyung, stop!” Chanwoo laughs and Seungri snickers at his pleas before letting go of the younger, “I’m only letting go because Hanbin’s looking at me like he wants to kill me,” he mumbles and Chanwoo frowns before looking to where Hanbin and Jinhwan are sitting, and neither of them look particularly happy with him. “Hyung, now they’re even madder at me,” he pouts and Seungri smiles at him, “don’t worry about it, I’ll leave you alone for now, but you should talk to them,” he pauses, “ I’m sure they have no intention of hurting you but it’s obvious, at least to me, that you’re sad about them ignoring you,” he finishes off with a soft smile and yet another at to the younger boy’s shoulder.

 

“Good luck,” he says before removing himself from the couch and walking away to somewhere so that Chanwoo’s yet again left alone on the couch. He reaches for his phone which Seungri had confiscated for a short period of time and sees that he has a missed call from Moonbin.

 

The smartest move would perhaps have been to just text him to say that he can’t talk at the moment, but now that Seungri has spilled the tea on why his hyungs are ignoring him, he can’t help but think that he deserves some revenge. So he decides to call Moonbin back and make sure that his hyungs hear who he’s talking to, loud and clear.

 

“Moonbin-ah,” he practically shuts into the phone with a bright smile on his face, “what’s up with you?” is what Moonbin says back and Chanwoo forces himself to keep the obnoxiously big smile on his face, “nothing, I just wanted to talk to you, I miss you~” he whines cutely and he hears Moonbin choke on his own saliva before letting out a startled laugh, “ah so you finally figured it out, huh?” he questions and Chanwoo can hear the amusement in his voice. “I had some help,” he explains and Moonbin laughs at him.

 

“Are you in the same room as them now?” Moonbin questions and Chanwoo nods before remembering that the other can’t see him, so he mumbles a ‘yeah’ and looks around the room, he can see Donghyuk and Yunhyeong looking at something on their phones but with the occasional glance in his direction, and he knows that Junhwe’s headphones aren’t connected to his phone because Chanwoo can see that the cord is lying next to him and is not, in fact, connected to his phone.

 

“So what now? Are you gonna keep making them jealous or are you gonna confront them? Cause I won’t always be here to answer your desperate calls,” he taunts and Chanwoo grinds his teeth, “yah, when did you get so mean,” he complains loudly and tugs at the loose string on his t-shirt. “I became this mean when I became an official hyung, but since you became maknae you’ve been so pliant, like a puppy. You used to be fun,” Moonbin jokes and Chanwoo rolls his eyes, “in what way am I possibly like a-” his sentence gets cut off when suddenly his phone disappears from his hand and he sees Jiwon in front of him.

 

“Hi this is Chanwoo’s hyung-” with intense emphasis on hyung, “-Bobby, Chanwoo’s busy right now so I’m gonna hang up, bye,” he ends the call and gives Chanwoo’s phone back to him, not that Chanwoo even notices. He’s too shocked at the moment to even form a clear sentence.

 

His initial thought is shock, then comes the confusion, and then comes the annoyance, because who are they to tell him that he can’t have friends other than them? They all have friends their own age that they occasionally hang out with. Why is it different in his case?

 

“Ah hyung~ why did you do that?” he whines and Jiwon looks at him wide eyed, perhaps a little shocked by himself. “I-I’m sorry,” he mumbles and Chanwoo pouts. “Is it wrong that I have friends other than you?” he questions, a little defiantly and with a certain tone that would have gotten him scolded any other time.

 

Jiwon’s voice wavers as he tries to respond to the youngest, “n-no,” he says carefully and Chanwoo scoffs, and that’s when Hanbin and Jinhwan deem it necessary to intervene. “Chanwoo-yah, of course you’re allowed to have friends,” Jinhwan says but Chanwoo refuses to meet his eyes, if they think it’s okay then why are they practically scolding him for having one friend.

 

“So then why did you hang up? Moonbin’s my friend, has been since I was a kid. It’s not like he’s gonna steal me away or anything,” they at least have a little sense to look guilty as Chanwoo speaks.

 

“It’s just-” Donghyuk begins, biting his lip a little anxiously, “-you never act like that with us, so carefree and so young,” Yunhyeong nods in agreement, “that smile you had when you met that-” he pauses like he’s preparing himself mentally for the next word, “-Moonbin, it’s different from how you look at us, and I guess we just...you know,” he finishes lamely and Chanwoo stares at them silently, because this is the dumbest thing he’s ever heard.

 

“I’m sorry,” he starts, “but that’s the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard,” he says and Hanbin and Jinhwan frown at him in confusion, “of course I’m different with Moonbin, I’ve known him since we were kids, I’ve grown up as his equal, both in age but also in status, but you…” he trails off and Hanbin raises his brows in question, “but we?” he adds and Chanwoo looks at him.

 

“Well, I look up to you. You’re my hyungs, that’s why it’s different,” he looks down at his lap, his eyes a little wide and his cheeks a little rosy. And while he’s looking down he doesn’t see the fond look the others share over him.

 

“Wait,” Junhwe suddenly says and all eyes turn to him, including Chanwoo’s, “I’m like a year older than you, do you still see me as a hyung? Do you look up to me?” he looks a bit confused and Chanwoo can’t really blame him, because they usually talk comfortably with each other and Chanwoo rarely calls him hyung, although he technically is, but that’s more of a joke between them. When Chanwoo’s been sick or feeling down he’s always called Junhwe hyung, as like a comfort...thing.

 

But he does see Junhwe as a hyung, not only because he’s physically older, but because he’s so good at singing and dancing and he has more experience than Chanwoo when it comes to the idol industry. Of course he looks up to Junhwe.

 

“Of course I look up to you, I look up to all of you, although it hurts my pride to say this I know you’ve got more experience than me, and I rely on you,” he says and looks down at his lap once again because the conversation got way more heart-to-heart than he thought it would.

 

“Can’t we just, stop talking about this? It’s embarrassing,” he mumbles and Jinhwan takes a seat next to him, “I’m not mad or anything, so let’s just let this go,” he continues and Jinhwan sighs deeply before shaking his head. “No, we should apologize first, it wasn’t fair of us to ignore you just because you have a friend, it’s hypocritical since we all have friends. But I think it was because we never see you with anyone except us or someone from YG, it was just...shocking,” Hanbin nods in agreement.

 

“But you got jealous of Seungri hyung too,” Chanwoo teases and Jinhwan nudges him quickly, “that’s another thing, let’s not talk about that,” he speaks quickly and Chanwoo grins at his hyung’s distress. He chuckles quietly before his expression turns more solemn, “just don’t ignore me anymore,” he says a little dejected and Jinhwan throws an arm around his shoulders, “we’re sorry baby,” Jinhwan presses a kiss to the youngest’ temples and Chanwoo grimaces at the gesture but he’s secretly enjoying it.

 

“Of course you’re allowed to have friends, don’t ever question that, just....maybe...you know,” Hanbin finishes off lamely and Chanwoo frowns because he really doesn’t know, “oh my god hyung,” Junhwe groans, embarrassed by the older guy. “What he means is- tell us if he ever becomes more than a friend, okay?” Chanwoo feels his entire face heat up at the comment because he could never be with Moonbin like that.

 

“W-what,” he mumbles, eyes as big as plates and his mouth hanging open, “I don’t see Moonbin that way,” he adds quickly and he can feel the heat radiating from his cheeks. “Good,” Jinhwan says and pulls him closer to his side, “because you’re ours.”

 


I forgot where I was going with this story at some point so the ending ended up being really bad but anyways, thank you for reading.

I hope you have a nice day/night/morning/afternoon <3 <3