Meeting that person

The Struggle is Real 2
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Joey Liu

19 years old

FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT

KOREA UNIVERSITY BUSINESS SCHOOL  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Good practice guys! Let’s see each other again on Saturday!” I yelled to my team mates who are lined up in front of me after our swim practice. We bowed at each other then all of them made their way to the showers leaving me checking the swimming pool for anything some of them has left out.

 

“Yah! Bro! Your phone is ringing!” my best friend Jae-hyun told me while he helps me checking the pool area for any things left by the swimmers. Being Captain of the Swimming Team is not an easy task, you are responsible for everything. I took the used towels left on a chair and went to the corner where I left my phone charging.

 

When I took the phone out of the charging dock, it was Eomma and Appa’s contact photo showing on the screen her name blinking. Maybe she’s been wondering where am I at this time… I forgot to tell her we added extra hours for practice because the Swim meet will be coming in the next two weeks.

 

“Yeoboseyo, Ne Eomma…”

 

“Hi honey! Are you out of the University now?”

 

“We just finished swim practice Eomma…sorry if I forgot to tell you we are going to finish late.  What’s for dinner Eomma?”

 

“Aigooo… you’re hungry now? Dinner is at the Bistro honey, I made yours and your Appa’s favorite. Is Jae with you right now?”

 

“Yup, he’s here.”

 

“Bring him at the Bistro too and tell him I won’t say No, okay?”

 

“Okay Eomma! What’s the occasion? Why are we having dinner at the Bistro?” I asked Mom and placed the towels I was holding on the bin and sat on one of the chairs.

 

“Your Appa invited your sister’s friend…” A friend… “Bo Na’s friend?”

 

“Yes, a guy friend. We met him earlier at the University when your Appa and I went there for the Parents’ meeting. He asked your sister to have coffee but your Appa intervened… you know your Appa, so protective of your twin.” as always hahaha!!!

 

“What’s his name?”

 

“Lee Taeyong… that’s his name honey. Anyways, we’ll see you here in the Bistro… okay? Don’t forget to bring Jae or I’ll cut your allowance.” What!!? Before I can even protest about my allowance, Eomma already ended the call leaving me hanging. Why do Eomma always do this to me?!

 

I turned to my best friend who was busy arranging the towels and yelled at him “Yah! Bro! Eomma said you’re coming with me to the Bistro, she won’t take No for an answer!”

 

“Sorry Bro, I have a date tonight!”

 

“Bro Eomma said you have to be there, you know Eomma…”

 

“But I have a date!”

 

“Eomma said Appa invited Bo Na’s friend… a ‘guy’ friend…” I smirked to myself while saying it, Jae’s ears perked up like a puppy when he heard what I said. Hehehe… come on… I know you.

 

He went to the towel bin and dropped the towel he was holding, clearing his throat. “R-really… a guy friend? Who was the guy?”

 

I stood up from my seat and smiled at him with a smirk “Lee Taeyong, that Debate Team guy of SNU. Remember him?” I know he remembers him, the two of them had a face off before at the Debate Nationals. Of course my best friend won!

 

“Ah… him.”

 

“Yeah, Eomma said he asked Bo Na to have coffee but instead, Appa asked him to join the dinner tonight.”

 

“Oh…”

 

“So….?”

 

“Uh… well… I still have a date tonight so just tell Aunt Soojung I can’t.” Really?

 

“Okay bro!”

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Dinners in our Bistro always makes me feel so excited. Why? Because Eomma never forgets to make Appa’s favorite that also became my favorite, her famous Pesto.

 

Like what Appa always say, just by tasting the sauce you can already feel the hardwork, love, and devotion Eomma poured while doing it. They told me the story of its origin way back when they got separated after meeting and hooking up in New York in a span of 24 hours. My twin sister Bo Na and I can’t believe it at first but yeah, its true.

 

Appa fresh from High School was on her way to Korea from California, made a one day stop in New York before facing her doom which she said before was a glitch in our family back then. She didn’t elaborate much but she said that part of history on the side of her family is not that good but already straightened out that’s why we are living quietly in the present. Eomma, also fresh from High School who won a scholarship in the most prestigious culinary school in Italy, also made a one day stop in New York before flying to Italy.

 

I don’t know what to call it… maybe its luck, destiny, or serendipity. They met each other in Central Park but Appa said she first saw Eomma in a coffee shop, Eomma dropped her purse that’s why Appa followed her to give it, had a little chat under the tree while sitting on the grass while eating Bagels and sipping coffee...you know like a typical day in New York. That spot is still there, the very same tree, and until now as a family when we spend our vacations in New York we still visit it because its a very special place for Eomma and Appa.

 

They had a memorable adventure together visiting museums, landmarks, bookstores and as two 18 year olds that time sparks flew immediately that they felt that connection. That undeniable connection that Eomma said she never felt from anyone else until that time she and Appa are together in a very limited time. But although they already felt that strong connection… she said it wasn’t the right time. That is why even though it hurts and broke their hearts, they have to part.

 

After 24 hours of being together they already know that they are meant for each other. But they are still young and have to go on to their original destinations. They parted at the airport, Appa seeing Eomma reluctantly go but they have too. You know what’s funny and until now my parents are laughing about?

 

They spent those hours together but they don’t know each other’s name. Yeah… Eomma said she was the one who suggested it and she thought that time it was romantic but when she was already in Italy and studying, missing and yearning for Appa she cried and told herself repeatedly how stupid she is for suggesting that lame thing.

 

So yeah… 4 years of Appa using Granpa’s private jet every school break flying to Italy with her personal assistant and searching for Eomma in all culinary schools in Italy. She almost saw Eomma but she was late because she came a day after Eomma’s graduation. Then after that she was sent to Cambridge while Eomma went home to Korea then by another twist if fate, Eomma landed a job in Aunt Jackie’s Bistro as a Sous Chef. Frustrating? Hell yeah!

 

Appa didn’t stop looking for Eomma even though she was studying her Masteral at Cambridge, she didn’t even know that the person she was looking for is back home in Korea and was actually within an arm reach. How would they know… they don’t have each other’s name.

 

Eomma said she made the Pesto recipe because of Appa. She wants something that will make her remember her and because Appa likes the sauce so much that she decided to make her own in the hopes that someday if ever they meet again she can serve it to her.

 

And she did… though they didn’t met that day because Eomma was busy inside the kitchen but Appa tasted it upon the recommendation of Aunt Vic. Appa said the first time she tasted the Pesto dish…. it was Eomma’s face that came into her mind.

 

Long story short, Aunt Jackie asked Appa to take charge in the Bistro for the mean time because she’s pregnant, Eomma and Appa having a tearful and if I may say from Aunt Byul’s words “They were kissing in the middle of the dining area while all of us were shock to see it, it was like watching a movie.” reunion and finally they know each others name after 7 years of being apart and missing, still loving each other. Appa didn’t let go of her, fought for their love, and the rest is history. Almost 20 years of being together but they are still so in love to each other.  

 

My parents are romantics, most of the time soooo cheesy and affectionate to each other, touchy even. We aren’t shock anymore or embarrassed if we will see Appa giving Eomma a kiss on her cheeks every morning and a tight hug or Eomma back hugging Appa, even jumping on Appa’s back when they feel like being playful. God… sometimes they act like they were still in their 20s… well… they do look like they are still in their late 20s and early 30s. I don’t know what sorcery it is but the two of them look so… young. Maybe its because of a healthy diet and exercise, or maybe because they are just happy together that’s why. My twin and I even caught them one night in the kitchen when we were sneaking in quietly because it was already late and we came from a party. Uhh…. I don’t want to elaborate but we heard noises in the kitchen, we didn’t dare took a peek because hell! Who takes a peek when your parents are doing something they did so you will be born into this world?!

 

I am so lucky to have them, Appa and Eomma. Amber and Soojung like what they call each other with sweetness at the end. They are the best parents for all four of us siblings, never forgets to remind us to be a good person and be helpful to others who needs help. To share the knowledge and blessings we receive and to be humble.

 

Sometimes when I watch the two of them at breakfast, they still have that spark. The way Eomma looks at Appa is still the same and the way Appa looks at Eomma is the same too. It didn’t wear off like some marriages out there they say. Theirs was special and unbreakable… the love they have for each other so powerful and strong that nothing can keep them apart, maybe even death. I saw them one time by the garden, they were lying on the grass that night watching the stars like they always do when all of us are already asleep. Eomma sat up and wrote something in Appa’s chest near her heart using her fingers and smiled lovingly at Appa after.

 

I was trying to copy it the morning after and Bo Na saw me writing it in the air wrongly. She took my hand and dipped it in watercolor then guided my hand drawing it in Se Na’s drawing book. After doing it, I stared at the drawing and instantly I understood what it meant. My sister patted my back and smiled at me, because it was something special that our parents share.

 

“Infinity… its their symbol Oppa. I saw it too before and wondered why Eomma always draw that in Appa’s chest when they have moments together. Then I realized what it means and it made me admire the two of them more.”

 

Infinity. The idea of something that has no end. Like their love for each other… its endless.

 

 

 

 

Getting out of my car, I waved at Eomma who was waiting for me at the door of the Bistro carrying my little brother Adrian waving excitedly when he saw me and Jae-hyun who bowed respectfully at Eomma like he always do.

 

Hahaha! Yes, at the last minute he came with me and canceled his date. I don’t even know if its really true or he’s just trolling… he can’t say no to Eomma and I know he won’t let this moment pass about this guy who wants to have a date with my twin sister.

 

“Hi Eomma…” I gave her a kiss on her cheeks and took my little brother to carry him even though he is quite heavy now. Now that I stepped back I saw what Eomma is wearing, even Jaehyun is obviously wondering.

 

She looks like she came from the runway as what would Bo Na say. She looks pretty and radiant as ever! What’s happening?

 

“Yah… why are you looking at me like that you kid! Jaehyun-ah, I’m glad you made it! Come inside…”

 

“Thank you for inviting me again Aunt Soojung…” my best friend said while scratching his nape shyly.

 

“Of course! You are the only one who can keep up with Joey and has been best of friends since KinderGarten… you know that I also treat you as my own..” Eomma is really sweet and kind. That’s why this best friend of mine loves eating here in our Bistro even when we were still young.   

Yup, we have been best of friends since we were small kids. Jae-hyun, me, and Bo Na were in one school until we reached High School. By College, Bo Na decided to accept the offer of SNU while me and Jaehyun went to Korea University.

 

Eomma is so fond of Jae-hyun because she said he and Appa look alike. Back then I thought it was just a joke but the more I look closely at my best friend… I really saw some similarities. Their face are similar, its just that Jae’s face is more masculine while Appa even though she looks masculine but it still has the softness. Jae was like Appa’s clone, the male version of Appa when she was still 18 years old like what Eomma always say. I look like Appa too but Jae and Appa’s similarity is really close. Impossible that Jae is Appa’s child because HELLO! How can that happen hehehe…. that will be a miracle like what Se Na always say.

 

And by the way, his full name is Jung Jae-hyun. No re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter