Chapter 2

Mask Upon My Face
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
02

chapter two
"I do not believe in a fate that will fall on us no matter what we do. I do believe in a fate that will fall on us if we do nothing."

...

The next morning Mina sat quietly in the back of a Black Chevy Suburban SUV as her father’s driver drove her to school. Son Chae Young sat beside her, as far away as the distance allowed in inside the car. Her legs were pinned up close to the door and she had her face turned to the window, avoiding her older sister beside her.

“We’ve arrived at the school entrance young miss,” The driver pulls up along the curbside, parking temporarily in front of the school.

Students crowded the entrance all wrapped up in their own worlds as they fooled around with their friends. Most of the commotion dies down when the teens realize who had just arrived. Their attention turns to the black SUV.

Chaeyoung’s forehead knots into a scowl as the kids outside stare. She spots her best friends waiting beside the gate and pulls her bag from the floor beside her. As the driver steps out of the car and around the front to open the door for her, Chaeyoung turns around to face her older sister.

“Don’t follow me inside,” She says right before sliding out of her seat, her small frame landing on the pavement with a soft thud. She walks to her group of friends who greet her enthusiastically. The driver closes the door and walks around to his seat.

“Would you like me to leave you off around the corner young miss?” The driver asks, he eyes her through the rearview mirror and Mina nods, staring at the kids outside who were still eyeing the SUV.

They can’t see Mina as the windows are tinted. She knows this and yet she can’t help but feel like maybe they could see her worthless frame inside. Mina sighs slumping lower in her seat. As the car pulls away from the school entrance the driver glances back at her again, “You okay back there young miss? You look more glum than usual.”

“I’m fine,” Mina lies.

Maybe it was her encounter with Daniel yesterday maybe it was the hate in his eyes or the look of disgust in her sisters eyes this morning. She was used to people looking at her like she was some kind of gross looking animal but nowadays she found it harder and harder to ignore their jabs.

“There’s been a rumor floating around here and there, I heard from another driver friend of mine that things haven’t been easy for you. He works for the Zhou’s and he’s heard her say a few mean things about you. Is this true?”

Mina avoids looking at the rearview mirror. She is a horrible liar and if she looks into his eyes she will surely let something slip. Shaking her head she responds, “Everything is fine.”

“Then, can I ask young miss, why you like to be dropped off a block away from the school and not in the front entrance with your sister?”

“I like the walk, even if it’s just for a few minutes it gives me time to prepare myself for class.” That wasn’t a total lie. Although the real reason was that her sister didn’t like to be seen with her she did use those few minutes to prepare for the day ahead.

“Well you let me know if you find yourself in any trouble young miss, I wouldn’t hesitate to kick a few butts here and there. ‘Specially when they deserved a good whooping. These kids nowadays have no morals.”

Mina smiles at the driver as he pulls to a stop. The old man was probably the only other person besides her father who showed any affection towards her. After the accident she didn’t just lose her mother, she lost her sister, her friend and anyone who would have otherwise cared for her. It had taken her some time to adjust but now she was used to the hostility.

“I’ll see you after school Mr. Ahn.” Mina says as she gathers her books. Before she can open her door the driver is already there opening the door and extending a hand to help her out.

“Oh, you’re father didn’t tell you? I’m sorry young miss, today I won’t be picking you up. I have a guest coming over and I would like to be home to receive him.”

Mina steps down, “Oh, well then I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

The driver smiles, “I’ll be there bright and early to bring you to school. Have a nice day young miss.”

Mina smiles again, though he can’t see her smile because of her mask her eyes smile up at him. He returns the smile and watches her walk away. Ahn Sung-Ki didn’t know why he always had this uneasy feeling in his stomach whenever he thought about the young miss.

If there was something wrong she was keeping it all to herself and he didn’t know how to help her. He felt sorry for her. After her mother's death she drew into herself. He also noticed how she stopped being close to her sister. It didn’t make any sense to him. He truly hoped she would find a friend soon. Someone she could rely on who would see just how kind a spirit she was. With a sigh the driver gets back into the car and drives away.

Just around the corner Mina slows down, her steps going from an upbeat bounce to a slumped shuffle. She dreaded school. Hated this prison full of monsters and constant torture. But at least it was Friday she could get through the day. Of course she can. She just has to follow the rules; keep her head down, avoid eye contact and move quickly. Today was just another day, one like all the rest before. She can do it. As she makes her way closer to the entrance gate she readies herself for the bullies, taunts, jabs, jibes, geek, murderer, smelly, wait, another day, another ordeal, eight hours will drag by, but she can make it. She always makes it.

 

 

Ong Seungwoo is welcomed with a pair of warm open arms and a strong scent of lavender and vanilla.

“Seungwoo-nie!” Ahn Hye-jung, Seungwoo’s aunt, grins and hugs him tight and Seungwoo relaxes into her hug. Her warmth enveloping him in a motherlike embrace. She pulls away after a minute and holds him at arm's length taking in his almost all grown up features.

“Wow look at you! You’re so grown! Look you’re even taller than I am now!” Hye-jung lines herself up beside him, highlighting the foot difference between them.

Seungwoo laughs and his aunt pats him on the cheek, “Come on, I have a car waiting at the drop off for us.”

They gather his bags and begin walking, Hye-jung wraps her arm around him, “When I heard that you were coming back home I almost cried. You know we all missed you.” Hye-jung squeezes him tight.

“I missed everyone too. I would have come back sooner but…” Seungwoo doesn’t finish but his aunt nods in understanding.

“I know. You didn’t really have much of a choice.” She grows quiet for a couple minutes, “I really wish your mom would have come around and returned home with you.”

Seungwoo shares a sympathetic smile, “Yeah me too…”

“Now that we’re on the subject how is your mom?”

“Well she's good. She's fine, I guess, she’s just always… working.”

“It's a shame she couldn’t come down, but at least you're here now. When was the last time you visited anyway? The last time I saw you in person you were this tiny little twerp with glasses that were bigger than your face.”

Seungwoo laughs, “It’s been a long time that’s for sure.”

They make their way out of the airport and towards Hye-jung’s idle car.

“I hope you’ve brushed up on your korean. You’ve lived in America for so long I bet being back here feels a bit awkward?”

“I’ll admit it does feel strange to be here. For the past five years my life’s been one big race against time and right now I feel like time has not only slowed down but almost stopped completely. I don’t know how to feel about that.”

As Seungwoo helps his aunt load the trunk he notices a sad look cross her face. She replaces it with her smile not wanting him to see.

“I’m sorry that you’ve had such a chaotic life so far. I feel like we should have done more to try and stop your mother from leaving with you all those years ago.”

Seungwoo throws a small bag on top of the larger ones and turns looking into her eyes and is shocked at how much she looks like his mother. A pang in his stomach reveals to him how much he wishe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter