Ch. 3

Resonant
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 3

“I think he likes you,” Minseok says as he leans back on his hands, resting on the grass.

“I know he likes you,” Junmyeon pipes up from the side, before shoving another grape in his mouth.

“He definitely likes you,” Jongdae mumbles from his spot on the blanket, where he is lying face down.

It’s sunny and warm and everyone is out, trying to soak up the sunshine and attempt to ignore the stress of the looming exams.

“Can you three just shut up?” You snap, “I’m trying to read here.”

You push your glasses up your nose as you try to focus on the book in front of you. Your friends were supposed to meet up with you in the library, but without much of an opportunity to debate you were dragged out to ‘enjoy the beautiful weather’.

“Are we invited to watch you two compete?” Junmyeon asks, nudging you with his bare toe.

“It’s an open event, anyone can come.” You mumble in response, losing the line you were reading for the 4th time.

“Great! We’ll definitely go and support our favourite couple.” He chirps. “Eat, this is good for you,” He insists and leans in to shove a grape between your lips.

Junmyeon has been trying to actively improve your eating habits, saying that as a captain of an entire team he has studied and knows a lot about the bodies of athletes and that the food you eat is one of the most important factors of your performance. You had, more than once, tried to explain to him that you’re not a professional, but he’d have none of it.

The only reason he’s getting away with all of it is because you know that he’s doing it because he genuinely cares. Also, getting daily snacks is a perk most of the time, except when he tries to sneak kale into your diet.

“Has Baekhyun made a move yet?” Jongdae asks, his voice still muffled in the blanket.

“He kicked me in the stomach yesterday,” you snort.

You expected a few laughs from your friends, but instead you’re met with dead silence. You look up and they all seem to be staring at you with various degrees of incredulity.

Minseok is the first to move as he grabs a grape from Junmyeon.

“I guess we all have our ways of showing affection,” he mumbles. “Maybe if he punches you in the face he means he loves you?”

You throw your book at him.

 

~~~

 

You watch Baekhyun lay blow after blow against his opponent, a final kick sending the other man flying out of the boundaries of the mat. It’s a clean kick, right in the middle of the protective gear, meaning that as long as his opponent wasn’t being stupid, he’s not hurt in the slightest, maybe just a bit out of breath.

They bow to each other as Mr Han claps, walking to Baekhyun and patting his back.

It’s sparring day and you’re all taking turns on the mat. For those competing however, it’s almost like a preliminary test and Baekhyun is acing it.

You, on the other hand, got knocked out so quickly that your ears are still burning in embarrassment. Not only because of Mr Han was there to assess, but also because Baekhyun had stepped away from where the advanced players were and watched you.

Despite the humiliating moment, Baekhyun had given you a thumbs up and a small smile immediately after, which made it all a little bit better.

He is now walking over to you, wiping the sweat off his forehead with one of the towels. You hand him a bottle of cold water and he takes it eagerly.

“Thanks sweetheart,” he says quietly, sitting down next to you. He’s now made a habit of sitting close to you, so close that your knees would bump into each other constantly. He likes using that to get your attention whenever he pleases, sometimes to show you something and other times just to make you look at him.

“You’re doing really well.” You look at him as you watch him try to bring order to his hair.

“Want to tell you my secret?” He asks, smiling mischievously.

You know he’s just teasing, but you still nod eagerly, humoring him.

He leans in, covering the side of his lips with his hand and whispering.

“It’s because you’re watching.”

You groan, pinching his thigh playfully.

Baekhyun laughs heartily, making a few people around you turn and stare, because Byun Baekhyun never laughs in the dojang.

When his laughter dies down he adds quietly, “Also, they’re not that good.” His face is serious now, eyes following the movements of the next sparring couple. “The competition will be different.”

“You’ll win,” you say resolutely.

Baekhyun turns towards you and smiles softly, his hand finding your knee and squeezing lightly.

 

~~~

 

“Do you think I should drop out?”

“Absolutely not,” Junmyeon huffs. “You’ve trained so hard, just because you might not win doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try.”

“I get knocked out during the first round every time though,” you mumble, sipping at your latte.

“Irrelevant,” he responds. “You have to try.”

You smile at your friend, the resolution in his eyes, the way his eyebrows are scrunched like angry caterpillars and his lips are set in a determined pout. You lean over the table and ruffle his hair affectionately.

“What would I do without you?” You ask.

“Probably have a lot less vitamins in your body,” he snorts. “I’m glad you’re eating all that fruit I’m giving you.”

“Of course, who am I to turn away prince Junmyeon, captain of the football team, from caring for me.” You say with exaggerated cuteness as you bat your eyelashes at him.

Junmyeon fake gags at that and you kick him under the table.

 

~~~

 

“Does it hurt when I move it like this?”

You hiss, nodding.

“And like this?”

You shake your head.

“It’s only a light sprain, it should be heal in a few days.” Mr Han says as he reaches for the first aid kit and starts wrapping your ankle.

You’re sitting on the mat, in the middle of the practice hall, your right leg stretched out in front of you as your teacher tends to the already swelling injury. It’s just your luck to foolishly trip and twist your foot just when you needed to be most careful.

Baekhyun is kneeling on your side, his lips pursed as he holds your hand, your fingers squeezing it tightly at every jab of pain.

“Will she be alright for the competition?” He asks, his voice sharp.

Mr Han nods his head.

“She’s going to be alright, Baekhyun.”

Your foot is quickly wrapped, restricting the movement and making it less painful, but not enough to be able to walk around comfortably.

Baekhyun helps you

Please log in to read the full chapter