Ask Him Out

Life As You Know It

Chapter 04: Ask Him Out

 

 

It was supposed to be a sunny day, but the sun hid behind the clouds and it was much, much more colder than Sehun had expected it would be. This is upsetting, he sighs to himself. He was supposed to go out and clear his head, think back about his choices because he thinks moving to China may be too much for him. Especially since he knows he’s needed in Seoul.

 

 

Especiallysince he knows Kai needs him more than ever now. Speaking of his best friend, Sehun’s eyebrows creased, an unpleasant feeling washing over him as he grasped his iced coffee, taking a sip but other than the taste of guilt that’s consuming him, the drink tasted bland on his tongue. He feels bad for leaving Kai so sudden like this, but Sehun knew he had to do this. Sehun knew Kai shouldn’t rely on him to always have his back and to be rightfully honest, Sehun wanted to live his own life too.

 

 

It wasn’t fair how Kai could get away with what he’s doing even if he doesn’t realize it. Maybe him leaving could help him set his priorities straight, because if that still isn’t enough for him to change his ways, then Sehun had no idea what to do next.

 

 

“A lot in your mind?”

 

 

Sehun looks up to see a smaller looking male staring towards him, his brown doe-shaped eyes piercing through his very own soul. He had the prettiest shade of red hair, and most probably the most innocent looking smile that Sehun has ever seen in anyone. And he has met, everyone. It's only when the doe-eyed male tilted his head towards him that he realizes he’s probably being creepy, staring at him and all. So he cleared his throat and tried to regain his cool posture by shaking his head. “Not really.”

 

 

“Shame,” Sehun raised an eyebrow at the mischievous glint he sees in his round wide eyes. “I was going to offer to listen to your worries in exchange for a seat in front of you. The place is full and it’s too cold to step outside.”

 

 

Sehun let a chuckle went past his lips, motioning his palm to the seat in front of him. “I wouldn’t mind.”

 

 

“Thanks,” The latter says, placing his drink–what seems to be iced chocolate milk–, on the table in front of him as he takes off his scarf. “My name’s Kyungsoo, by the way. Do Kyungsoo.”

 

 

Sehun nodded, taking a sip of his iced coffee once more before wandering his eyes around until he realizes Kyungsoo staring at him expectantly. Sehun knew what he wanted. His name, but being the cautious guy he is, he doesn’t like to expose his name so easily especially since the male before him didn’t even hesitate to give his. Sehun raised an eyebrow, and he was met with Kyungsoo’s soft chuckle as his words took him aback.

 

 

“It’s impolite to leave someone hanging especially since they introduced themselves to you.” He starts, sipping on his chocolate milk carefully before continuing. “Besides, if you think I’m bad company, then you wouldn’t have smiled at me or given me this seat.”

 

 

“I didn’t want to be rude.” Sehun motions closer, smirking. But that smirk fades when the other male leans forward too, mirroring his smirk. Who is this guy? Sehun questions in his head. 

 

“Well, you’re bad at maintaining that impression, no offense.”

 

 

Silence engulfs them both for a little while and a stare down happens, leaving Sehun to question who was this male and why was he so good at making Sehun smile in a type of way. His worries were long forgotten in his head as he thought of the possible traits Kyungsoo has just by this conversation. Stubbornness, determined, easygoing, kind and so so attractive.

 

 

Figuring out that he wants to know more about this male, Sehun lets out a laugh, stripping away the protective barrier he was trying to put over himself just now as he lends out a hand. “I’m Sehun.”

 

 

Kyungsoo bit back his smile and took his hand to shake, shyly mumbling his name once again, Sehun’s laughter taking him by surprise. “It’s nice to meet you.” He lowers his gaze to his chocolate milk, his smile never leaving his face.

 

 

“Sorry about that, I’m a little cautious.” Sehun mumbles, resting himself onto the sofa he was sitting on, eyes piercing through Kyungsoo, but in a good way. “But, Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo lifts his head up from his drink, “You seem fun to talk to, given your smooth comebacks which I assume is because you don’t like to lose in verbal arguments that much and I wouldn’t mind having a new friend.”

 

 

Kyungsoo grinned, shyly sipping onto his drink as he mumbled. “Neither would I.”

 

 

Bringing his own iced coffee to his own lips, he smiles to himself as a single thought passes by him. Maybe staying in Korea for a while longer would be fine.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hearing the familiar ringing voice from outside of his apartment door, he rushed towards it, hoping that he won’t be missing any important calls. Fumbling through his keys, he unlocks it immediately and right before he was about to pick up the phone and answer, the ringing stopped. Kyungsoo let out an exasperated sigh, glancing at the time seen on the answering machine. 8:27pm.

 

 

“Whoa, I’m home later than usual,” Kyungsoo shook his head, placing his coat and scarf on the sofa near him as he pressed on the answering machine to see what messages he got today while he closed the door he left hanging wide open when he rushed to the phone earlier and started to take off his shoes, his phone messages filling the silence in his apartment.

 

 

“Soo, I need help,” Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow when he hears his best friend’s voice, reorganizing his shoes on his shelf. “Luna says she doesn’t want a cake for her birthday. She wants a tower of cupcakes! So I’m like sure, okay, that can be arranged so I did that and everything’s all settled until earlier today when Chanyeol picked her up from school and–” Another booming voice intercepts Baekhyun’s voice, which Kyungsoo reckons must be Chanyeol since he could hear the faint ‘this isn’t my fault!’ followed by a soft thud. “–be quiet! Anyways, he brought her to a bakery, the bakery that you love so much––Mum's Treats..”

 

 

Kyungsoo smiled at the mention of his favorite go-to-bakery, a place he never usually goes to now lately due to his busy schedule of work and always helping Baekhyun out with the birthday planning. He made a mental note to stop by tomorrow morning before work. “..and they sell macaroons, delicious macaroons and Chanyeol ended up buying like two boxes for Luna, to which she finished it all in one sitting–” A soft chuckle emits his lips, knowing very well of the sweet obsessions his goddaughter has. “–and now she wants to change it to macaroons. A tower of them!”

 

 

 

“Uh oh.” Kyungsoo laughs, taking a seat on the couch as he massages the back of his neck, listening intently to his best friend ranting. “Since I know you always go there and you’re the closest to the bakery, can you ask if they can make a tower of them for Luna’s birthday? She’s going nuts and I hate to disappoint her and–– thud! hold on– what was that? Chanyeol, is that you? Oh my god––”

 

 

Kyungsoo furrows his eyebrows in confusion before the line suddenly died, and being worried, Kyungsoo immediately reached out to the phone and dialed Baekhyun’s number quickly. No answer within the first minute of ringing and when it died, he dialed the number once again, feeling queasy in his stomach as he stood up and started pacing back and forth.

 

 

“Hello?”

 

 

A sigh of relief went past his lips when he heard Chanyeol’s voice on the other line. “! Answer your god damn phone.” Kyungsoo snapped, his hand immediately rubbing his chest. “Jeez, sorry. What’s wrong?”

 

 

“Baek left a message earlier and he suddenly hung up so I was worried. Is everything okay?”

 

 

“OH,”Chanyeol beamed, his throaty chuckle made Kyungsoo roll his eyes. “Yeah, Luna was playing princess with me and I just fell and my nose hit the armrest of the couch. I bled a little and––”

 

 

“But is Luna okay?!” Kyungsoo interjects, and he hears a scoff coming from the other male. “Of course my baby is okay, I wouldn’t let anything harm her. Sorry to worry you, Kyungsoo.”

 

 

“It’s fine, where’s Baek?” Kyungsoo flops on the couch once more, resting his eyes for a bit as he laid his head backwards, leaning onto the couch. “He’s playing with Luna now while I make dinner. Did you just get home? It’s 8:30.”

 

 

“Yeah, I was out to run some errands and I met a friend.” Flashes of the male he just met today came through his head, and a knowing smile surfaced on his face as he blinks his eyes open. His cheeks flushed when he could hear Chanyeol smile through the phone. “Stop it.”

 

 

“I’m not doing anything.”

 

 

“I can feel you smiling, idiot. He’s just a friend, someone I met at the coffee shop today.” Kyungsoo explains, not really wanting to talk about him since he’s a little exhausted but Chanyeol had to . “What's his name? Is he cute? Was it love at first sight?”

 

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. “Shouldn’t Baekhyun be the one asking these kind of questions? You’re starting to sound like him and you don’t really sound so manly now.”

 

 

“Don’t make this about me. I still wanna hear about him, so you’re not off the hook––” Beeeep.Kyungsoo lifts his head and looks over to the answering machine, odd that he’s getting another message especially since the only ones who ever send him a message on a daily basis would be Baekhyun and Chanyeol. “–what was that?”

 

 

“Hold on, I’m getting another message.”

 

 

“From someone else other than us?”

 

 

“Okay, that hurt and please shut up,” Kyungsoo scowls, and then he hears that soft sheepish voice, and he knew that voice very well. “Uh, Kyungsoo? It’s Jongin, uh.. Jaehyun and Jonghun’s dad? Yeah, um, I was just wondering.. if you– um…” Kyungsoo hears a soft “just do it”in the background followed by a soft “shut up”,and he finds himself biting back a smile.“If you wanted to grab lunch sometime? If you’re okay with that, of course.. Um, I got your number from Teacher Luhan, by the way. Sorry if this is so sudden. My number is 010-000000, send me a message or call me if you’re okay with it.” Beeeep.

 

 

Kyungsoo was taken aback, he didn’t know what to feel, surprised that he just got asked out on a date or embarrassed that the person who was asking him out was Kim Jongin, a man he found very, very attractive from the moment he saw him. He was at a loss of words, and he was just starting to panic when he hears Chanyeol yelling at the top of his lungs from the other line. , Kyungsoo forgot his call was still ongoing with his best friend.

 

 

“BABE, KYUNGSOO’S GOT A DATE!”

 

 

. Kyungsoo hanged up immediately and sinked himself further onto the couch as he thinks about the amount of questions he’s going to be bombarded with by his best friends andLuhan at work tomorrow. He glanced onto the answering machine, a sudden smile creeping up his face as he flushed deep red, shutting his eyes and let a specific tanned male wander in his thoughts.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m moving to China.”

 

 

Those words echoed through Jongin’s mind, still not believing that his best friend would do this to him. In all his life, Sehun had never left his side, he was always one call away whenever he needed. Sehun had family, but asking help from his parents would result in him being pestered about finding another partner in his life to help with the stress from work and parenting, his brother left him to study abroad so Sehun was the only pillar of support he had left. And Sehun never turned his back on him. Sure, there were moments where Sehun would scold him but Jongin found it better having them from Sehun than from his own family.

 

 

After the death of Eunbi, the mother of his children, life got tough. Jongin feels lost and finds it hard to have a moment of silence because he’d always wondered what life would be if she was still alive which explains why he was always working, never having to rest unless he needed it because whenever he did, his head wanders to her. It was painful. Losing Eunbi was the darkest period of his life and even though it still pains him, he still tries to remain a strong front for his kids.

 

 

Jongin has dated before. A woman just his age, worked as a journalist and she was nice, funny even, but she never blended well with his twins so Jongin ended it. Jongin didn’t want to waste his time, because if they weren’t good enough for Jaehyun and Jonghun, then he won’t hesitate to stop. He tells people this but honestly, he’s just not in the mood for being in love anymore. Eunbi was the love of his life and replacing her would be a sin that’ll forever haunt him.

 

 

“Jae, give me that!”

 

 

Jongin’s train of thought disintegrates as he lifts his head up from his laptop, staring at Jaehyun and Jonghun battling over the one blue crayon the smaller one had in hand. They had just finished their science homework, and since they had time before bed, Jongin let them color the pictures on their science book.

 

 

“Hunnie, I’m still using it!” Jaehyun whined when Jonghun took the piece of crayon from his grasp, trying to take it back from his palm but Jonghun pushed him away, causing the younger twin to fall on his . He stared at Jongin with pleading watery eyes, and before he could shed some tears, Jongin pushed his laptop aside and made his way in between them.

 

 

“Jonghun, give me that.” He opened his palm in front of the toddler, who shook his head. Jongin made a mental note to always buy two of each, especially since his twins didn’t like to share lately. “Hun, give me.” He says sternly, and the smaller reluctantly placed the crayon on the palm of his hand.

 

 

“What’s the situation here, pups?” Jongin raised an eyebrow, helping a pouty Jaehyun up from the floor, looking at Jonghun who also had a pout on his face. “You both don’t want to share?”

 

 

“We want to!” Jonghun defensively reacts, and Jongin furrowed his eyebrows. “I’d share with Jaehyun but daddy gave us until 8:30 to finish coloring and it’s already 8:28! I wanted to finish coloring but I’ve been waiting for the blue crayon but Jaehyun won’t give me it!”

 

 

“But I need to finish it too! I was almost done, you’re so unfair!”

 

 

Jongin feels a surge of guilt went through him for creating a strict time frame for them to finish, he lets out a sigh before unwrapping the paper surrounding the thin crayon before breaking them in half and giving one each to both of his sons. They stared at him, wide-eyed. “Compromise.” Jongin stated.

 

 

“Como–mise?” Jaehyun tilted his head in confusion, staring at his short blue crayon but feeling satisfied that at least he doesn’t have to rush coloring just so Jonghun could have his turn before the clock strikes. Jongin chuckled, ruffling both of their hair. “Compromise. Fighting over it never makes things better, okay. Look how easy I fixed the situation without having you two to fight each other. When you both grow up, you’ll know what I mean. So no more fighting over silly stuffs like this, okay?”

 

 

Jonghun and Jaehyun nodded their heads before looking to each other, smiling apologetically at one another and resumed coloring their books with a contented look on their faces. Jongin smiles, realizing that it’s not all that bad. A call ringtone engulfs the room, and he ran over to his laptop only to see his brother requesting to video call him. He rolled his eyes, attempting to decline when he gets a message on his phone.

 

 

Answer me, or else.

 

 

Jongin sighs, answering the video call hesitantly, positioning the laptop on the coffee table in front of him. “What.”

 

 

A laughter can be heard from the laptop as it resounds the room, causing his twins to immediately rush towards Jongin’s sides. “That’s not very nice, considering how you haven’t seen me in a while. Is that a way to greet your big brother?”

 

 

“Uncle Jongdae!” The twins yelled in chorus, and the male’s laugh became more louder from the screen. “Twins! How are my troublemakers? Doing good?” They nodded before Jonghun leaned closer towards the camera and took all the space on the webcam. “Daddy taught us chamomile!”

 

 

“Chamomile?”

 

 

“It’s compromise, Hunnie.” Jongin corrected him, a smile creeping up his face as he bit back his laughter, pulling both his children up on his lap. “Why are you calling, hyung? Do you need anything?” Jongin flashes him a stoic expression, and Jongdae hums in response, completely unbothered by the glares Jongin was sending his way.

 

 

“I’m coming back soon, and I just wanted to see how’s mom’s ‘getting-Jongin-a-fiancee’ plan going. Do you have anyone in mind?” A doe-eyed male’s smile comes up in his head, and Jongin shakes it off immediately before his brother sees. But Jongdae, having very attentive skills, notices it immediately and coos. “You do. Who is she? Or he?”

 

 

Jongin defensively shakes his head, snorting. “No I don’t. I don’t have anyone in mind, stop.” Jongdae laughs once more, turning his gaze towards the twins. “Jae, Hun, has your daddy been thinking about someone? Has he been dating?”

 

 

They smiled bashfully, shaking their heads but something tells Jongin that they know something that he doesn’t. Jongin clears his throat and widens his eyes towards Jongdae threateningly. “Hyung, stop it. It’s no one, really. He’s nobody.”

 

 

“He?”

 

 

, Jongin mentally cursed, pursing his lips onto a thin line because he knows he slipped this time. “So it’s a he.”

 

 

“Stop.”

 

 

“I didn’t say anything!”

 

 

“I’m not going to go through with it.” Jongin admit defeats, he knows Jongdae won’t drop the topic so might as well just brush it off. “He’s somebody I just met and he’s… attractive but I’m not going to ask him out.”

 

 

“Pfft,”Jongdae rolls his eyes, “Why? Because he isn’t good enough for the kids?”

 

 

“No–”

 

 

“Because he’s our teacher and daddy gets all shy around him!” Jaehyun claps his hands, and Jonghun shushes him, sending him a warning glare while pouting. Jongin widens his eyes, staring down at the two mischievous boys sitting on his lap. “What are you talking about?”

 

 

“Jae! Let’s go brush our teeth!” Jonghun jumps down from his father’s lap, tugging onto Jaehyun’s hand. “Bye, uncle Jongdae!!! Come on!” Jaehyun follows behind him and waves goodbye to his uncle on the screen as they ran away from their own father who’s looking confused as ever. “Bye, kids!”

 

 

Jongin was silent for a few seconds, before Jongdae clears his throat and raised an eyebrow when his brother was looking his way. “Having two kids admit that their father has the cutest crush ever on their teacher…”

 

 

“Shut up.”

 

 

“It’s true! Did you ask him out?”

 

 

Jongin rolled his eyes, resting his tired aching back on the back of the couch. “I just told you I’m not going through with it!”

 

 

“You clearly like him and the twins don’t seem to mind. Just ask him out.” Jongdae crosses his arms over his chest, and Jongin was about to protest but sees the finger Jongdae held, saying that he wasn’t done. “Just a date. Just go on a date and ask him out for my coming home party. If it works, great but if it doesn’t, then that’s fine too. Loosen up, Jongin, you’re lonely and I don’t know when are you going to keep beating yourself up like this. Move on, she would have wanted that.”

 

 

“I’m not beating myself up and I have moved on. Plus, mom wants me to come with a fiancée, not a date.”

 

 

“I’ll deal with her. I’m sure she’ll be contented with you just coming with a date. You say you’ve moved on but I’m not so convinced by that.” Jongdae sighs. “I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you ever since that day. But I want to help you get back on your feet. Do this for the twins.”

 

 

Jongin scoffed, feeling no need for Jongdae to help him because he’s fine now. He can eat and work and take care of his kids well, there’s no need for help. “And to be honest, you want to ask him out too, don’t you?”

 

 

Jongin gnawed on his bottom lip. Though he’d never admit it, he does want to ask the doe eyed male out because he’s all Jongin’s been thinking about the whole weekend, and how excited he was to go pick up his kids from school on Monday just so he can see him. Of course he wanted to ask him out, who in their right mind wouldn’t?

 

 

“Just ask him.”Jongdae urged, and as if compelled by his pleading look, Jongin started to run through the contacts on his phone, and although he didn’t have the male’s number, he knew exactly who to call just to ask. “Are you dialing him now?”

 

 

“Shh.” Jongin rolled his eyes when he sees the triumphant look on Jongdae’s face as he busted into a happy dance through the screen, holding back his laughter as he dials the contact on his phone, immediately tensing up when he hears the phone being picked up.

 

 

“Hello? Luhan? I have a favor…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Bed time.” Jongin clapped his hands and both his kids came running into the room, Jaehyun rushing to pick up his dolphin plushie on the floor before rushing to get under the covers while Jonghun was already getting himself comfortable on his bed. Jongin smiled endearingly, walking over to Jonghun’s bed and pressing a kiss on top of his head before pulling the covers up over him. “Bed time checklist.”

 

Jonghun beamed, and opened his mouth as he breathed out his minty toothpaste, making Jongin smile while he moves to smell his hair, making sure he used the shampoo this time. Satisfied, he nodded and ruffled the smaller’s hair causing a whine to come out of him. “Good night, Hunnie. I love you. You next,” Jongin went over to his other son, and did the same thing before he tugged on his plushie. “I need to wash this one day, Jae. You can’t stop me.”

 

 

“Daddy, no!” Jaehyun huffed, and Jongin chuckled while pressing a kiss on top of his head. “Good night, Jae. I love you.”

 

 

“Good night, dad. We love you.”

 

 

Stepping away from both of their beds, Jongin took a look at both of them as if making sure they were comfortable before shutting off the lights and proceeding to walk out their room. Shutting the door closed as he went back to the living room, cleaning up the crayons and putting their books inside their bags until he hears a soft ping! coming from his phone.

 

 

 

Unknown

Hi, Mr Kim! This is Kyungsoo.

 

Unknown

I’d love to have lunch with you. I’m free whenever.

 

Unknown

Sorry for the super late answer, I hope you have a good night! J

 

 

 

And Jongin swears he felt a familiar soft tug in his chest, smiling to himself the whole night and slept thinking about Do Kyungsoo.

 


 

[a/n]: OH MY GOD???! IM SO SORRY FOR THIS SUPER LATE UPDATE. It took me a year but… I’ve been handling with exams and work, and I finally have the energy and muse to continue this. I’m soooo sorry for updating this late and I promise my updates will be more often now. Probably an update every week at least? I couldn’t abandon this fic because honestly I love this plot myself and I kind of wrote this for my enjoyment.. forgive me!