How'd He Get That?

Suffering

     It had only been a couple of days after the event the church had at the coffee shop, and Taemin seemed extremely happy. He kept thinking about Jinki and how he felt very comfortable with him rather quickly. He kept thinking about Jinki's smile, his eyes, and just how kind he was towards the younger. Taemin had never really felt so comfortable so quickly around another guy before. He kept thinking to himself that this man was special to him somehow, but he didn't quite understand how or even why. 

     Even though Taemin was constantly thinking about Jinki, he was still unsure whether or not he should be going to church that upcoming Sunday. He knew that he had told Jinki he would be there, but he didn't think he'd honestly notice if he just decided not to go. It wasn't even like there was a way to even get in touch with him anyway. They didn't have one another's number or anything, so they may as well have never even existed to one another. Another thing that was bothering him was the fact that Jinki seemed a bit too interested in him. He was confused on whether or not his time spent with Jinki that night was genuine or if he had an ulterior motive for something else.

     During dance class, Taemin was having a conversation with Krystal about his skepticism. "Krystal, I'm not sure if I wanna go through with going to church like I said I would." 

     Krystal looked at him with confusion. "Why? What happened? You seemed so excited Wednesday night after we left. And what about Jinki. He seemed like he really enjoyed talking to you. Didn't you say he wanted to see you there, anyway?" 

     Taemin thought about it for a second and responded, "I mean, he did say that, but it's not like he really meant it. Think about it. Why is it that he came up to me and started talking to me? Why did he stay and talk to me literally most of the night? It just seems weird to me." 

     "Hmm," Krystal said. "Maybe, and this is just a thought, but maybe he was just being a nice person?" Krystal was trying to reason with the younger, but Taemin was having none of it.

     "Okay, but tell me this: Why just me? It seemed, to me at least, that he was spending most of the night really just talking to me. And on top of that, no one else who was with the church came up to me or anything. He was the only one. There's something weird going on-" Taemin had paused for a few seconds to check his phone that was vibrating in his bag. 

     He had looked at the screen to see he had received a message from an unknown number. Confused, he checked the message to find out that it was none other than Jinki. "Krystal, he just texted me," he said in disbelief.

     She looked at him with excitement. "Seriously? Oh my goodness, what did he say?"

    He proceeded to read the message:

     Hey Taemin, this is Jinki from Dawson. I just wanted to let you know that the bus is gonna be at SM Academy on Sunday around 9:00 am. I'm looking forward to seeing you there! See ya later! :)

     Taemin was in somewhat of a shock. He had what seemed like a million questions running through his mind: How did he get my number? Why does he remember me? Why did he even bother to text me? Does he actually want me to be there? As he was processing these thoughts, he realized it was time to get back to practicing his dance routine. Through the rest of the practice, the only thing he could think about was the text Jinki had sent him. 

     Shortly after practice ended, Krystal and Taemin went out to eat with Minho and Amber at a nearby restaurant. There they seemed to have a lighthearted conversation about random things, all except Taemin. He was spaced out and still thinking about the text from Jinki. Those questions were still flowing through his mind and he didn't like it one bit. It wasn't long until everyone else noticed he wasn't participating in the conversation. Minho was the first to get his attention.

     "Um, what's up Tae? Everything okay? What happened to the happy guy that was all excited these passed couple of days?"

     Hearing Minho, Taemin snapped back to reality. "Huh? Oh, everything is fine. Everything is just great!" he replied in a sarcastic tone. 

     Amber soon interjected, "I bet he's thinking about that guy from church," she said teasingly.

     "You know," Krystal said, "when we were in dance class, Taemin got a text from him. He's more than likely thinking about that." 

    As soon as he heard Krystal say that, Taemin immediately changed his expression and began gushing about that text to his friends. "But I mean, come on! Who wouldn't be excited about a text from Jinki! He's so cute and he's so sweet! And he was even kind enough to text me and remind me about church and everything, and he-"

     Minho stopped Taemin in the middle of his rambling, "How did he even get your number anyway? Did he ask for it?"

     Taemin stopped to think for a minute. "No. I never gave him my number at all that night. I guess he got it from someone?"

     "But who? That was our first time meeting everyone. No one could have had your number already," Krystal said.

     Upon hearing this, everyone started thinking about the circumstance. 

     "Maybe he's stalking you," Amber said jokingly.

     "Yeah," Krystal added. "Or maybe, he likes you."

     Minho wanted to join in on the fun. "Yeah, he did seem VERY interested in you the other night," he said while wiggling his eyebrows over at Taemin.

     "Okay, no," Taemin responded. "He does not like me. He could never like me. He works at a freaking church, for crying out loud! He's just being extremely nice. And you know what, he's probably just being nice to me just because "church", you know?" Everyone else shook their heads in response.

     After a couple of minutes went by and they all got their food, Amber had asked Taemin, "So, what'd you say back to him?"

     At this, Taemin's eyes opened wide in realization that he had never even thought of texting Jinki back after that. "Oh my gosh! I never answered! That was over an hour ago! Where's my phone?" He hurriedly responded to Jinki telling him thank you, and that he was sorry about not responding back sooner. Upon hitting send, he almost immediately got a response back. Everyone at the table noticed this, too, and decided to tease the younger about it.

     "Uh oh Tae, he replied back really fast. It looks like I was right about him liking you." Everyone at the table had laughed at her teasing. Taemin just rolled his eyes. "I'm just kidding. What did he say?"

     Taemin began reading the message to everyone: You're fine and no problem. I can't wait to see you Sunday! :)

     After he finished reading the message out loud, he looked up to see everyone giving him the same kind of smirk. "What?" he had asked them. They all just shook their heads and continued eating. After that, they went back to having their previous conversation. But Taemin was now too busy thinking about both texts he got from Jinki. All he could ask himself was 'What am I getting myself into?'