Separated

Separated Love

The door opened to a dark room. A guy entered the room and walked in the darkness to the bed, too familiar with the room. He took his phone from his back pocket and sat on the bed. The phone light up, showing the digit 00:15 on the screen. He opened his messenger and sent the letter K, a code which they made that holds the meaning is it okay to call?  in case someone else was holding the phone and read the message.

It wasn’t long before a reply came. He didn’t need to read to know that he can call because the other person would reply only when it’s okay to call. Previously, the guy had been left hanging for 3 hours, waiting for his reply.

The guy called the other person and the phone was answered in a flash. “Hello?” the voice in the phone responded and he felt all his fatigue disappear. The angelic voice was the reason he could still get his work done even when he felt like quitting a thousand times a day.

“Hey baby” he replied with a smile. Even if the other person could not see him smiling, he knew that his smile can be heard from his voice.

“Hi Kris” the other person responded in a softer voice “did you just reach home?” the voice questioned.

“Yeah. What about you? How was work? How are the kids?” Kris asked and heard laughter from the other end.

“I’m at home with the kids. There was no work today so the kids went out for shopping. Some went to play with their friends. I was home, relaxing the whole day” Kris continued listening to the voice as he reposition himself on the bed, head on a pillow, looking at the ceiling as he imagine what the other person would look like while talking to him.

“The youngest just got home from training though” he heard the door closing and rustling before the voice continued “he’s been training till late night every time. I’m worried about his health” and Kris swear he could see the frown on the other’s face.

“Don’t worry baby, he’s a big guy now. I’m sure he knows how to take care of himself. Now, smile for me. I could see you frowning even from here” Kris said and heard a sigh before a soft chuckle is heard.

“You could see me frowning?” the voice asked in a teasing manner “What are you? A psychic?” then, a gasp was heard “Or perhaps a stalker who is currently looking at me from the room next door?” the other person teased.

“Baby, if I was there, I would have gone to you and spend my time mesmerised by your beauty while you talked about your day in my arms” he told the other, responding to the other’s joke, although they both know that deep in their heart, they want that to happen.

“I miss you Kris” the other said after a long comfortable silence, where they listen to each other’s breathing.

“I miss you too honey” Kris said and closed his eyes “I wish I could be right next to you” he breathed out the words that had been playing in his mind and constricting his chest day after day.

He heard a hum that indicates agreement to his words “But we can’t. We can’t meet. We promised not to meet” the voice sounded sad.

“Can’t we meet in secret? Somewhere hidden?” Kris suggested. He knew this talk is getting nowhere but he could always hope for a day when the answer is a yes.

“Kris, sweetheart, you know we can’t. They’re keeping an eye on us. It’s the promise we made with them to protect the kids. If we mess things up by meeting each other, we might destroy the kids’ future” the other said through the phone, convincing the guy.

Kris sighed and rubbed his face with one hand “Yeah, you’re right. We did all this for the sake of the kids” he agreed as he remembered why they were separated in the first place.

“Let’s wait till the contract ends” the other said and Kris could only nod his head to that statement “I hope you won’t cheat on me now that we’re apart” the voice had a hint of worry despite the attempted joke.

“Baby, I wouldn’t do that. I love you. I love you so much” he said. He could feel his eyes getting teary from the words he had said. He would always say that when they were together but he never felt anything special about saying it before. Being apart from his loved one made the word more precious to him.

“I love you too, Kris. I really do” the other said and a sniffle was heard “I love you” the voice was cracked drowned by more sniffles. It didn’t take long before sobbing was heard.

Kris felt teardrops starting to fall from his eyes when he heard his partner’s cries. He spent the next few minutes listening to the cries of his partner, trying to stop himself from crying too. They didn’t speak even after the crying had stopped. They kept on waiting for the other had fully calmed down.

“Kris” the other began after a while “I don’t know if I’m doing a good job in taking care of the kids alone. I keep on feeling like I might have a meltdown in the middle of work. I feel like the kids are getting into trouble a lot more without you controlling them” Kris heard the sadness hidden inside the worried tone.

“You can do it baby. You’re doing a good job. Be strong. The kids are just experiencing how the environment we’re in work. Keep doing what you’ve been doing. Remember that I’ll always support you” Kris said and hoped that his words will be the strength for the other.

“Yeah. I have to be strong for the kids” a smile can be heard from the words said which made Kris smile too.

“We better go to bed now” Kris stated after looking at the alarm clock on the side table, thinking that work is waiting for both of them tomorrow.

“Alright. Goodnight love” the other said.

“Goodnight, Joonmyun, my suho, my angel” Kris told him.

“Sweet dreams my duizhang, my love” Suho continued sweetly before ending the conversation.