three

hazy thoughts

Title: There's always next time
Word count: 793



Jongin can't even bother lifting his gaze up from the dingy carpeted floor to look up at the employer behind the desk waiting for the key to his assigned locker and his driver's license. He knows that after sitting down for who knows how long, possibly two-and-a-half-hours taking a test for a career he isn't really fond of, that when he gets his test results back, it will say FAIL. Jongin feels tired, having trouble falling asleep the night before even if Kyungsoo was there to hold him in his arms. Not even the warmth radiating from his boyfriend could make Jongin have a restful sleep, it did the opposite, actually. In the morning he had things to do, go to the post office to drop off a package. He was nervous because time was ticking and the line wasn't moving. Jongin knows he wasn't nervous because of the exam but because he had somewhere to be in just a few hours.

He sighs tiredly as he lifts his head up to give the girl behind the counter his driver's license just so that he can get his results. 

The girl gives him a friendly smile after confirming his name and hands him two sheets of paper before telling him to have a nice night.

Jongin knows then that he will have anything but a nice night.



After making it outside where it's kind of chilly outside, Jongin takes the sheets and flips them over. The first thing he sees is a black and white picture of himself half smiling at the small camera before moving his eyes down to check his score.

Passing score: 75

Your score: 47

Result: FAIL 

Jongin wants to laugh at himself because he was expecting it. So much for envisioning himself walking out of the testing center with a passing score. As he approaches the car he can see Kyungsoo waving at him from the driver's seat, cell phone tucked in between his shoulder and left ear. Jongin can't help but look up at the sky where the colors are fading and the night is rapidly approaching. He sighs softly, turning around to open the passenger door to get inside.

Jongin isn't even inside for more than two seconds before becoming annoyed at the voice he hears coming from Kyungsoo's phone. His boyfriend is speaking to Chanyeol, his brother-in-law who Jongin doesn't really like. 

Kyungsoo looks at Jongin and gives him a smile only to frown when he sees the expression his young boyfriend has. He knows then that Jongin didn't do so well. "Yeah, you know how it is, Chanyeol. These tests are hard to pass," he speaks into the receiver, ignoring Jongin when the younger huffs in annoyance.

"Why are you even telling him about whether I passed or not, Kyungsoo? That's not his damn business," grumbles Jongin, turning away from his boyfriend to take out his phone and text Sehun to come over tomorrow. 

"He didn't pass," Kyungsoo says, not bothering to spare a glance in Jongin's direction but he can feel the heated glare sent his way.

Jongin doesn't even look at Kyungsoo after that, opting to keep quiet even after the phone call ends and the car starts up.

Kyungsoo tries asking questions about what Jongin saw on the test but he only receives short answers or one-worded responses, so he sighs heavily, giving up because it is obvious that the younger male doesn't want to talk.

-

Upon arriving home, the first thing Jongin does is grab his books, wait for Kyungsoo to unlock the front door and then dash away to his and Kyungsoo's room to lie down and pretend to not exist. 

Kyungsoo, of course, follows behind him. "Jongin-ah, are you okay?"

"No," comes Jongin's muffled reply as his face is pressed against his pillow.

"Was it that bad?" Kyungsoo asks, getting on the bed to lightly pat the back on Jongin's back.

"I couldn't remember half of the answers even though I studied them. I could have gotten a 73 but I'm just a failure," Jongin mumbled, sniffling as a few tears escaped his eyes. "Forgive me for failing you, Soo hyung."

"Hey, now, wait a minute, Jongin-ah," Kyungsoo leans in completely to drape his arm over his upset boyfriend, "why would you ever call yourself a failure? That is not what you are, baby. You are more than that, okay?" 

Jongin nods his head, moving to the side only to blush when he shyly asks Kyungsoo for cuddles.

Kyungsoo happily obliges, spreading his arms to welcome Jongin into them. He rubs the younger's arm while leaning in to kiss him softly. "Don't worry, Jongin-ah, there's always next time."




Gasp. Was a drabble written in Jongin's point of view? How shocking.