CHAPTER 1

A Favorite Memory

NARRATOR'S POV

 

You woke up in the middle of the night, holding your chest and breathing heavily. A tear fell from your eye. It was a nightmare again. You've been having nightmares since your parents divorced. It was painful and you still can't accept the fact that your family who was once happy fell apart. You wiped your tears and stood up to get a bottle of water. It's been three months since your parents separated and three months since you came to Seoul. Paying the bills all by yourself is a pain especially now that you're on your last semester of your 2nd year in college yet you decided to transfer to Korea, you have to pay the rent of your apartment and your tuition fee at the same time. It's not that you hate your parents, you're just trying to be considerate and you don't feel the need to bother them at this crucial time since both of them are having a hard time moving on. You took your sweater and decided to go for a walk, maybe it will help you clear your mind. You checked your watch, it's 12:29am. The street of Gangnam is still busy even at this late hour. You were walking towards the park when someone accidentally bumped into you, you fell hard on the ground.

 

"Watch where you're going!" you yelled at him while trying to dust your clothes off.

 

"I'm sorry I didn't see you. Are you alright?" a young man tried to reach out his hand to help you.

 

"Are you seriously wearing sunglasses in the middle of the night?" you ignored his hand and stood up by yourself.

 

"Is there something wrong with that?" he asked, fixing his sunglasses, trying cover his face even more.

 

"Nothing really, just be careful not to bump other people on your way" with that you walked away from the guy. You jogged on your way to the center of the park and saw the fountain light up beautifully, you reached for your phone in your pocket but it wasn't there. You panicked and remembered that you were knocked off on the ground by a stranger. You started to think that he did it on purpose. You ran back to the place where you bumped into him but he wasn't there, your phone wasn't there either. You sighed in disbelief. Life is really testing you. You're too broke to get a new phone, you can't even afford to eat a proper meal these days. You sat down on a bench, holding back your tears. You're tired of everything. You closed your eyes and took a deep breath. "I love challenges" you told yourself and stood up. You were walking back to your apartment when you heard someone calling your name. When you looked back, it was the guy wearing sunglasses. You ran and met him halfway. "You thief!" you tried to headlock him. You know a bit of self-defense because your father trained you for years. "Let go of me!" the guy sucessfully escaped your grip. "What thief! I've been looking for you everywhere!" he exclaimed, tilting his head left and right. "So am I!" you searched his pocket for your phone. "Oh come on, I was gonna give it back to you. No need for you to touch me, really" he said, chuckling. He took your phone out from the pocket of his hoodie. "Here. Your name is written on the case thats why I called your name. I mean I just assumed it was your name. I'm Jimin by the way, Park Jimin" he held his hand out for a handshake. "Yien" you shook his hand. "Thanks for this by the way, and I apologize for the headlock thing" you shyly smiled at him. "It's okay, just so you know, I'm way stronger than you, I can literally knock you down in a second" he arrogantly smirked at you. Though you can't see his face clearly, just from his eye smile, you know that he's a good looking guy. "Anyway, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? A girl shouldn't be wandering around, there are a lot of bad people outside" he asked, taking his sunglasses off. Your eyes widened when you saw his face. You felt like you've seen a God in the middle of the night. "I.. i was just.. you know.. getting some fresh air" you were stuttering. Your heart is thumping nonstop. Handsome guys make you nervous all the time. "Are you alright?" he noticed your hand shaking. "Yeah I'm good, probly just hungry. I'm gonna grab a food on my way back. Thanks again" you walked back towards your direction and waved. "Do you think I'll let a lady walk alone in a dangerous city in the middle of the night?" he ran towards you. "I'll walk you home, we can grab a food on our way, I'm honestly starving" he said as he lead the way to the convenience store.

 

"Why are you wearing sunglasses in the middle of the night anyway?" you finally had the courage to ask. "Don't you know who I am?" he stopped walking and faced you. You examined his face but he's not familiar. "Am I supposed to?" you stared blankly at him. "Nah, you're gonna faint if you find out" he shrugged and continued walking. "How come you don't know me? I'm pretty sure I'm quite famous" he seemed bothered. "Wow, really? I don't watch tv" you exhaled, remembering the fact that you work and study all day and night you barely have the time to watch anything. "Seriously? I mean, I'm everywhere in this city." he shook his head in disbelief. "Oh, well. I'm not originally from Korea, obviously. I'm foreign" you beamed. "Get your phone and google Bangtan Sonyeondan" he sighed. You reached for your phone in your pocket and did what he said. "I've heard of them before but I'm not really interested in them. I came here to study not to fangirl" you scrolled down on wikipedia, scanning the whole page. "You're missing out on the good stuff" he said as he enter the convenience store. Your jaw dropped when you saw photos of him all over the internet. Tons of photos and videos showed up when you typed 'Park Jimin'. You were literally frozen for a minute. The guy you are with is worldwide famous but you didn't know. No wonder he's wearing sunglasses at night you told yourself. You hid your phone back and tried to get yourself together. Your knees were literally shaking. You feel intimidated. Jimin signaled you to go inside of the store. "The look on your face tells me that you found out who I am already" he teased. He was wearing a big smile on his face. "I'm shook" those are the only words that came out from your mouth. You literally are shook. "Don't faint though, big trouble" he opened the fridge and handed you a can of soda. "Can you really be here right now? I feel weird buying a ramen with a superstar" you feel uneasy hanging out with him. You know that it's gonna be a big trouble when people find out. "Don't worry. I'm good at disguising myself" he walked towards the counter and paid for the food. "See? He didn't even recognize me" he grabbed your hand and dashed out of the store. "Do you have hot water at home? Can we atleast eat this inside your house?" he pointed his chin on the bag he was holding. "It feels even weird to let a superstar inside my house" you tilted your head with a blank face. "I'll take that as a yes" he winked and continued walking "Lead the way" he looked back at you.

 

You led him to your apartment and offered him a seat in the living room. "Neat house, I like it!" he looks amused. "You can stay here, I'll go heat some water." you told him and ran to the kitchen. You're star strucked and feel the need to impress him. You boiled some water on the pot and took the kimchi out of the fridge. Good thing the owner of the restaurant you're working at gives you endless supply of kimchi. At least you have something to offer. "Need a hand?" Jimin entered the kitchen. "No, I'm almost done here" you brought the hot pot to the table. "Careful" he assisted you to the table. He poured the water on the ramen cup and patiently waited for the noodles to cook. "You're quite handy" he pat your head. "I dont think we're that close to be patting each other's head, don't you think?" you lift both eyebrows while fixing your hair. "I know right, we were strangers till we bumped each other at the park. It's three am and I'm here at your house. having ramen and kimchi. Yeah, we're not close" he grinned. "It's 3am already?" you completely forgot about the time. You have an essay due at 8 in the morning. "Yeah, time flies. I actually have an interview to attend tomorrow. My hyungs are gonna go loco once they find out that I'm not at the dorm" he took a chopstick and gobbled the ramen. "Eat slowly. You're gonna have indigestion" you pat his shoulders. He looked at you with his mouth full. "Iakdfjjr hdjskakeif djskakrjf gjsjag". You barely understood anything. "Stop talking gibberish" you laughed at the way he talked. He looked cute. Your heart started thumping again. You handed him a tissue. "I was saying, i dont think we're close enough to be patting each other's back" he smirked. "Whatever, eat up so you can leave already. I have to finish my essay in an hour. And it's weird for you to still be here at dawn" you gobbled your food too. You feel your energy going back to it's normal level. "Yeah, I have to leave after this. The members will wake up anytime soon. I'm sorry I cant do the dishes for you" he apologized. You almost choke when he looked at you in the eye. His eyes looked sad. You wondered why. "It's alright. I can manage" you smiled and looked down. Your heart was beating fast, you feel uneasy but you tried not to show it. "I dont know why I feel extremely comfortable with you. Here, put your number so I can call you whenever I'm bored. You're so entertaining" he handed his phone to you. You were taken aback. 'Is he for real?' you thought to yourself. A superstar just asked for your number. Your hands were shaking when you took his phone, you put your number and rang your phone. "Just to be sure that you're not gonna voice phish me. I'm not a past time. Watch your words" you handed his phone back to him. "Thank you for the meal, it's so unfortunate that I have to leave. I've never been so comfortable hanging out with a stranger before" he said as you lead him to the door. "Goodnight" you smiled. "Good night, I'll call you" he waved goodbye and bolted out of your apartment. You stared blankly at the door for a minute, you can't believe that you were with a famous kpop star the entire night. You sigh as you clean up. It suddenly feels lonely. You washed the dishes and headed back to bed. You checked your phone and saved his number. You wondered if he's ever gonna call you like he said. You suddenly felt the weight of the night and fell fast asleep.