Three Closures

When Two Worlds Meet
Joy

 

'Your go!'

'UGH! I am literally so bad at this game,' I grumbled, bending over  to get my face as close as possible to the Monopoly board.

'That's what you say everytime you start losing,' Yerin giggled. I glared up at her.

'I'm just a nice person.'
'Sure.'

This is how my days off tend to go. Playing board games with my manager. Unless it's not raining, then I go outside in my disguise as Joy for some freedom. But a storm has brewed outside so we are resorted to this. I can be myself with Yerin, so I don't mind too much.

'"Get out of jail free card". Yup, that's exactly what I need. Literally.'

Yerin laughed so much she nearly fell off the couch.

'Do you think I should go to counselling? Like, living here genuinely makes me depressed,' I said, pushing my dog - I always play the dog in Monopoly - forward a few steps.

'I'll be your counsellor for free.' Yerin tossed the dice.

'Oh, Yerin.' I stood up, stepped over the board and dramatically draped myself over her, disrupting a few cards in their pile.

'Tell me all your troubles, dear Joy.'

I sigh dramatically. 'Oh, I just feel very trapped, Mrs. Counsellor.'

'Mhm,' Yerin said, my hair.

'I don't wanna be here anymore.'

'Aww...'

'I honestly have no one, y'know?'

'But dear Joy, don't you have that nice and beautiful manager? What was her name again?'

I look up at her and roll my eyes. She giggles.

'Yes, I love Yerin,' I continue. 'But I just... I need someone.'

'Maybe you need someone to love and for them to love you back,' Yerin says softly, now plaiting my hair. I lie there a few moments, thinking. The plait slips out as I sit up.

'Joy?'

I simply grin. 'Someone to love, huh?'

I know exactly who that is.

Seulgi

'Seulgi, please. Think sensibly,' Joohyun begged. Begged. She was begging. Why does she care so much?

I laugh. 'This is the most sensible thing I've ever thought of.'

She was gripping my arm now. I pulled it out and stepped away. Can't let emotions get in the way, can't let anything get in the way.

Only Joy. I'm doing this for Joy.

'Seulgi...' Joohyun whispers.

I didn't look at her, didn't listen to her. I folded up clothes and put them in the suitcase, hoping I could fit everything. Not that I had a lot.

I block Joohyun from my peripheral vision. Don't need to know if she's crying.

The silence stretched out as the suitcase filled up. Once I had packed all my necessities I zipped up and pulled it off the bed. Despite everything my heart was pounding.

I turned to the door but Joohyun was standing in the way. I stared at the floor, my eye twitching.

'Seulgi. Please. What are you doing?'

I finally look at her. Her deep, brown watery eyes that plead a thousand Don't leaves.

'I'm saving myself.'

Joohyun

I'm crying. I can't help it. Seulgi shoves past me like I'm a stranger standing in her way. Which I am.

'Seul, please think about this,' I pleaded. 'I thought we were friends-'

'I AM NOT YOUR FRIEND!' She yelled, turning back to me. My mouth shut in shock.

'And I'm not "Seul" either,' she continued in anger. 'We're nothing to each other, Joohyun. You think I considered you a friend? You were wrong. I never once enjoyed your company. I don't care if you were the only person in the world who ever showed me kindness.' For a split second, Seulgi choked on her words. 'Because there's only one person I care about now and it's NOT YOU.'

Seulgi turned and continued down the corridor, dragging her suitcase. Then she was gone.

***

Let's NOT talk about how long it took me to get this out.

I'm still alive.... oops.

SHORT BUT ILL TRY TO GET THE NEXT ONE OUT THIS WEEK. i really do wanna finish this okaydhdnfuhfsdiufhd

thank u for ur patience (if anyone is still even there)